AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > Video Games

Notices

Old 2012-05-08, 20:54   Link #121
kenjiharima
Mizore-chan

FF7 tops my list
FF6 seconds
FF5 thirds place.

Chrono Trigger is the best though imho.
Old 2012-05-09, 08:54   Link #122
DragoonKain3
Osana-Najimi Shipper

After playing FF12:International Zodiac Job System, the difference between my #2 and my #1 just multiplied tenfold.

Yes its YOU childhood friend - source of BERZERKER RAGE since forever
Childhood Friend couple STATISTICS(spoilers abound though)
DragoonKain3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-09, 09:43   Link #123
ZGoten
Custom User Title

Send a message via ICQ to ZGoten
^Final Fantasy XII is really amazing and one of the most underrated games I know. Many people dislike it for its battle system and characters. But I love it. In fact, let me try and quote Garnett Lee's perfect review of the game, because I love quoting reviews:

"They always had this, you know, strong protagonist, who was young and comming to terms with a number of emotional issues and that sort of thing. In this case, although you might look at Vaan and say 'wow, he looks very similar to that', the story is much more a global political intrigue. It's a more sofisticated story. It's the kind of story you'd see in a big production epic movie. And for some people that's been a turn-off, because they've got accostumed to Final Fantasy. It doesn't fit their ideal of what that is. And for others it's exciting, because no longer are you just strapped to whether or not you love or hate the primary character. You can actually get into the story."

On topic though, if I had to rate my favorite Final Fantasies, the (momentary) list would probably look somewhat like this:

5. Final Fantasy IV / VIII / XIII
4. Final Fantasy V / X-2
3. Final Fantasy VII / IX
2. Final Fantasy VI / XII
1. Final Fantasy X

I haven't played 1 to 3 and XIII-2 yet.
Old 2012-05-09, 09:56   Link #124
Merilyn Mensola
I am a Boxer

Huh...

Final Fantasy...

VI and VII and X..for story and development of the story of the characters.

and XIII (a good story..but not good like the other i have mentioned)but yeah for the graphics next gen...

if you make FFVII with the graphics next gen...i think it is the best FF

Last edited by Merilyn Mensola; 2012-05-09 at 15:00.
Merilyn Mensola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-09, 10:09   Link #125
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

I actually think the gaming part of FF XII is stronger than the story itself. Ashe, in particular, is an unsympathetic character thrust into the heroine role (and horribly acted by a heavy-breathing Kari Wahlgren). I like how she's at least conflicted between a desire to do good and a lust for power, but the writers really could have taken that conflict a lot further. Vaan is pretty much the generic pretty-boy teen that we've seen in other FF stories. Basch had potential as a character, but he fades into the background and becomes little more than Ashe's swordsman. Penelo is pretty much a generic genki girl.

That leaves Balthier and Fran, who are the two strongest characters in the game. I found less and less for them to do as party members in the later stages of the game, but Fran's back-story has some depth and Balthier has some of the best dialogue in any FF game I've played. All his remarks about being the "leading man," which implicitly break the fourth wall, are quite witty.

However the battle system in XII is one of the best ever created by the FF designers. I like the gambit system and being able to set up my characters and let them have at it. In complicated battles I'll usually control one of them from time to time, but it was fun figuring out what combination of strategies to use against certain bosses. It took me a number of tries to figure out how to defeat the boss in the Sochen Cave Palace (one of the best bosses ever, by the way).

One thing that I found disappointing was the final battle in XII, and in X and XIII as well. They all seemed less exciting than some of the other bosses along the way. I gave up fighting the final boss in XIII because it was just an incredibly boring battle. For some reason Square Enix seems to design final boss battles that just seem to repeat interminably and where the boss has ridiculously high HP levels. (VII suffers from this problem as well.) I like bosses that change strategies and pose more difficult problems as the battle progresses. The within-game FF bosses seem to have more of that character than the final ones. My other complaint about XII was the number of bosses who were there just to have a boss battle rather than being intrinsic to the development of the story.

Still I've invested a few hundred hours in XII including two complete playthroughs and occasional replays in between because I enjoy the battle system. For story development, though, I prefer X, VI, VIII, and VII. VI is the game that most deserves a remake with modern graphics and controls. Yuna (in X) and Celes remain my favorite heroines, with Zidane perhaps my favorite hero, and Auron and Balthier getting the nod in the male supporting roles. (i might have included Squall as a hero except for his remarkable display of obtuseness when he was alone with Rinoa in the spaceship.) Among the supporting ladies I'd probably pick Lulu, Tifa, Aerith, and Edea.

Last edited by SeijiSensei; 2012-05-09 at 10:33.
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-09, 13:41   Link #126
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeijiSensei View Post

One thing that I found disappointing was the final battle in XII, and in X and XIII as well. They all seemed less exciting than some of the other bosses along the way. I gave up fighting the final boss in XIII because it was just an incredibly boring battle. For some reason Square Enix seems to design final boss battles that just seem to repeat interminably and where the boss has ridiculously high HP levels. (VII suffers from this problem as well.) I like bosses that change strategies and pose more difficult problems as the battle progresses. The within-game FF bosses seem to have more of that character than the final ones. My other complaint about XII was the number of bosses who were there just to have a boss battle rather than being intrinsic to the development of the story.
i always found Chaos (original FF1 ver) to be the hardest boss ever in FF. In the NES cartridge game, he regularly let loose a couple of nukes. You had to be very careful or it would be a game over very fast.

I don't think i ever seen the water down ver let loose one nuke much less two in the same fight.
Old 2012-05-18, 18:25   Link #127
Kirito
Enjoying Snack Time!

Send a message via MSN to Kirito
My favourite is 10 hands down, followed by 9, 7 and 8.

Final Fantasy 10 had the best story, character development, fun factor, and loveable characters I've seen in the franchise. I love the other Final Fantasy games (minus 13 & 13-2 "shudders") but 10 still continues to grow on me. That's just my opinion.
Old 2012-09-27, 07:24   Link #128
kitten320

Ok, I have played more FF games so here is my new ranking.
Spoilers ahead so if you didn't play a specific game, probably it is better not to read.

Spoiler for FF 9:

Spoiler for FF 10:

Spoiler for FF 13:

Spoiler for FF 8:

Spoiler for FF 12:

That's all I have played so far. My next games on the list are FF XIII-2 and FF7.
Once I'm done with those, I'll update my list.

Last edited by kitten320; 2012-09-27 at 07:35.
kitten320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-27, 11:54   Link #129
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

Just curious

what is everyone first Final Fantasy Game?

Started with Final Fantasy 1
Old 2012-09-27, 13:30   Link #130
Kafriel
Senior Guest

^ The american or japanese FFI?

I started with FFVIII at '98. Being my first really got me biased towards it, I still think it has some of the best tracks and themes and the most immersing side quests (Triple Triad club, GF hunting, etc.) Worth of note, it's one of the few games where your exp curve is parallel to the X axis, all levels from ~7 to 100 require 1000 exp, which is actually a setback, considering the attribute bonus skills that you can obtain. What made it even more interesting is the fact that you can reach the ragnarok without using junction, just by spamming limit breaks with a revolver This made me want to play it over and over again under different conditions, like getting a ton of cards and keeping a very low level before bursting up with all the bonuses I can get, or grinding for Lionheart at Disc I and stuff.

Its story was, admittedly, weaker than FFVII or IX, but it's still better than FFX and XII (which, while well thought, was boring in the end).

The Fabula Nova Crystallis series have a nice premise, but it's tiring to buy 3-4 games for one FF universe, since they've never been the same after FFVII, not to mention that so far, they've been quite flawed and outright mediocre when it comes to battle enjoyment.
Kafriel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-27, 13:34   Link #131
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kafriel View Post
^ The american or japanese FFI?

I started with FFVIII at '98. Being my first really got me biased towards it, I still think it has some of the best tracks and themes and the most immersing side quests (Triple Triad club, GF hunting, etc.) Worth of note, it's one of the few games where your exp curve is parallel to the X axis, all levels from ~7 to 100 require 1000 exp, which is actually a setback, considering the attribute bonus skills that you can obtain. What made it even more interesting is the fact that you can reach the ragnarok without using junction, just by spamming limit breaks with a revolver This made me want to play it over and over again under different conditions, like getting a ton of cards and keeping a very low level before bursting up with all the bonuses I can get, or grinding for Lionheart at Disc I and stuff.

Its story was, admittedly, weaker than FFVII or IX, but it's still better than FFX and XII (which, while well thought, was boring in the end).

The Fabula Nova Crystallis series have a nice premise, but it's tiring to buy 3-4 games for one FF universe, since they've never been the same after FFVII, not to mention that so far, they've been quite flawed and outright mediocre when it comes to battle enjoyment.
The Original NA NES FF1.

no saves in the last dungeon
1 type of potion
a boss that is actually hard to beat.
Old 2012-09-27, 18:01   Link #132
Mateus

FF IV (used to hate it because of the random battle every 10 seconds)
FF VI
FF VII
FF VIII
FF IX
FF XII

but my all-time favorite is .... Final Fantasy Tactics - even if it isn't a numbered FF entry, it still rocks to this day.
Old 2012-09-27, 18:48   Link #133
Rising Dragon
Goat Herder
*Author

First Final Fantasy game I played, like many, was 7. Favorite though is definitely 9, I really, really don't understand why everyone else seemed to dislike it.
Old 2012-09-27, 18:53   Link #134
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rising Dragon View Post
First Final Fantasy game I played, like many, was 7. Favorite though is definitely 9, I really, really don't understand why everyone else seemed to dislike it.
just a guess, i think most of the criticism came form older game who like me started with ff1. imo it was ok but there wasn't anything really outstanding about it.
Old 2012-09-27, 19:04   Link #135
Rising Dragon
Goat Herder
*Author

I don't think it was that, because from what I've been told, Final Fantasy 9 is closer to the original medieval-ish games from before 7. My guess is that it was because it was similar to those games, so people who started with 7 and 8 didn't care for the change in setting.
Old 2012-09-27, 19:20   Link #136
Terrestrial Dream
勇者

Quote:
I love 9 as well, really the best Final Fantasy ever. Though I do think it is rather well received generally. For one instance it is highest rated Final Fantasy game on Metacritic and it is Sakaguchi's favorite Final Fantasy. So I can't say it is disliked by many.

Quote:
I don't think it was that, because from what I've been told, Final Fantasy 9 is closer to the original medieval-ish games from before 7. My guess is that it was because it was similar to those games, so people who started with 7 and 8 didn't care for the change in setting.
I did started with 5 so maybe as a result love the medieval settings. And I do think that 7 and 8, especially 8, is very overrated.
Old 2012-09-28, 06:56   Link #137
kitten320

My first game was FF 9 so that's why I probably like it so much. The only real problem with it is that as first time RPG player it was very confusing. I needed my friend to explain everything to me, especially battle system.

I kept healing monsters and wondered why the hell they don't die -_-

The game doesn't have enough instructions in the beggining like many others do.

I still want to play FF VII and see why everyone loves it so much though somehow I feel that I'll be disappointed in some way.
Old 2012-09-28, 07:44   Link #138
Kafriel
Senior Guest

Quote:
I still want to play FF VII and see why everyone loves it so much though somehow I feel that I'll be disappointed in some way.
FFVII fascinated a lot of people because it was the first non-2D dungeon crawler/world explorer FF title and it had a story vastly different from the usual crystal balance/save the world theme.
Quote:
Favorite though is definitely 9, I really, really don't understand why everyone else seemed to dislike it.
It was pretty awesome, I don't think many people hate 9. Lots of comedy, great plot and characters, Tetra Master was almost as good as Triple Triad and it had the best mini-games and side quests (searching for coffee, retrieving the zodiac, hunting for chocographs, etc). Plus, it had Beatrix I would love to have it in my PC collection along with 7 and 8 though.
Kafriel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-28, 18:44   Link #139
Mateus

I knew about 1 when it was out, my dad played it and I would watch him play and kill the end boos -- though it probably doesn't count. My official first FF would be VI (III at the time).
Old 2012-09-29, 09:30   Link #140
Soliloquy
絶対領域に嵌り過ぎた。

Final Fantasy 9 is the only game I finished, so automatically this game gets my vote. I have played about half length of FF 6 & 7 but for some reason, it couldn't keep me for long. I have nearly finished FF 10 just before the last boss.

I only found FF 9 characters more easy to relate to and be easily charmed by. It had that closeness and natural character interaction than any of the series. I think people only dislikes the series because the loading transition is too slow. Really to me that's the only flaw of the game when the epic plot and music easily compensate for it. This is the kind of buildup all story driven RPG should aim for.