Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Notices

Old 2010-07-16, 20:29   Link #121
SuzushinaYuriko
SHSL Lurker

Today's anime of the day is:

Black Lagoon (2006)

Okajima Rokuro, a normal Japanese salaryman, has his world turned upside down when he's kidnapped for being an unwitting participant in the midst of a smuggling coverup by his company. After his company abandons him for dead, he decides to throw away his name and join his kidnappers - the Lagoon Company, a group of pirates, or in their terms, "deliverymen who brush up against the law from time to time."

Black Lagoon is a thrilling series. The setting is mainly in Roanapur, a city where the world's most dangerous criminals gather. The amount of fast paced action and the jobs the Lagoon Company come across are exciting to watch. A notable character is Revy, a deadly fighter with skills in firearms so good she's called "Two Hand." She is the very definition of "badass."

I recommend the English dub for this show as I think it fits the series itself much better. Either dub or sub is fine though. Also, be prepared for a LOT of blood and cursing.
Old 2010-07-17, 14:33   Link #122
SuzushinaYuriko
SHSL Lurker

Spice and Wolf (2008)

Set in an olden European-style world, the protagonist Lawrence is an experienced traveling merchant. One night when he stops in the town of Pasloe, he finds a girl with ears and a tail sleeping in his cart. The girl is Horo, a 600 year old pagan wolf-deity who has granted the village good harvests for a long time because of a promise. The village has found more modern ways to harvest so they forsake their promise and start to forget about Horo. Lawrence and Horo make an agreement to take Horo to her hometown Yoitsu in the north because she is no longer needed here. Her sharp senses and intelligence help Lawrence increase his profits, but along the way they must face obstacles in their path, including the massive power that is the church.

Spice and Wolf is a unique series in that it focuses itself more on the market and economics than any other anime. The world they are in is wonderfuly detailed. The banter between Lawrence and the playful tease Horo is always enjoyable to watch, and there is a load of great character and relationship development throughout the series. Some of the trade talk might go over your head, but all in all it is a great series.

Last edited by SuzushinaYuriko; 2010-07-23 at 13:55.
SuzushinaYuriko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-18, 12:39   Link #123
SuzushinaYuriko
SHSL Lurker

Saki (2009)

Miyanaga Saki, a high school first-year student, doesn't like mahjong because her family would always force her to play it and punish her regardless of the outcome of the game. Due to this, she learned how to keep her score at zero, neither winning nor losing, a skill said to be more difficult than actually consistently winning. However, her friend Kyotaro from middle school, completely unaware of such circumstances, convinces her to visit the school's small mahjong club upon entering into high school. After the club discovers her ability, they recruit her permanently and convince her to win instead of breaking even. She easily does so with her skill and discovers a new love for mahjong. This leads the team to enter the prefecture's high school mahjong tournament with the goal of reaching the national high school competition.

Saki brings a whole new level to a mahjong game. You can actually see how the competitive players put their strategies into play and the spectacular effects when actually playing mahjong are entertaining to watch. There's a little fanservice and some slight yuri overtones but it's a solid series of playing to win. You don't need to know how to play mahjong to enjoy Saki (I sure as well didn't) and how the club does their best to reach for the top.

Also, is anybody else than me going to post the Anime of the Day and discuss about them? I'd like to see people's reactions and comments on the anime I recommend...
Old 2010-07-19, 13:14   Link #124
SuzushinaYuriko
SHSL Lurker

WORKING!! (2010)

WORKING!! takes place in the family restaurant Wagnaria and is centered around its less than sane employees, Souta (self proclaimed lolicon minicon), Poplar (very short elementary school high school student), Mahiru (shy androphobic girl with absurd strength), Yachiyo (spacey ditz with a katana), Sanji Jun (bartender who throws around vending machines cool guy with a frying pan), Hiroumi (information broker blackmailer), Aoi (childish troublemaker girl with mysterious origins), and Kyoko (slacker manager with a stomach the size of a black hole).

This seres is a gem. It manages to be consistently funny without the need to rely on fanservice, and the character interactions in this show are really refreshing. The setting isn't at school for once but at a restaurant, which is new. There's mainly character development for Mahiru, who's terrified of men, with a bit of romance thrown in the series as well. Definitely one of the best comedies of 2010.

The opening "Someone Else" is Azumanga Daioh-esque and insanely catchy. That's a huge plus.
Old 2010-07-21, 13:56   Link #125
SuzushinaYuriko
SHSL Lurker

Pandora Hearts (2009)

Oz Vessalius, heir to the Vessalius dukedom, has just turned fifteen. His life is rich and carefree, darkened only by the constant absence of his father. At his coming-of-age ceremony, however, everything changes. For no reason that he can discern, Oz is cast into the dimension known as the "Abyss", only to be saved by one of the monsters residing there, a "Chain" known as Alice, the Bloodstained Black Rabbit. The mystery there begins as Oz and Alice join the strange organization Pandora and begin to unravel the mystery behind Alice's lost memories and the Abyss.

From the first 1-2 episodes and the summary you'd think that Pandora Hearts is a dark and depressing show, but it's actually quite lighthearted and funny most of the time. The series pulls off a mix of comedy, fantasy, and mystery quite well. The mysteries pull you in as more and more details fall into place, leaving you wanting to know more, such as the existence of 'Alice', the connection between Alice and the Will of the Abyss, and the truth behind the Tragedy of Sabrie that occurred 100 years ago. Throw in an opening performed by FictionJunction and a magnificent OST composed by Kajiura Yuki and you have an excellent show on your hands. I definitely recommend that people check this series out.
Old 2010-07-23, 13:03   Link #126
Suomi
Kaiba

Oh noez! Yesterday got left out!!

Today's anime is...from a very long time ago (how many of you have even seen it?).

SAILOR MOON!!! (1993-1997, all four sub-sections)

Tsukino Usagi is an ordinary 8th grade schoolgirl who, one day on her way to school, saves a cat with a crescent moon on its forehead. At home, depressed after having failed a test, Usagi meets the cat again in her room. The cat, amazingly, can talk, and she introduces herself as Luna. Luna gives the dubious Usagi the ability to transform into Sailormoon, the pretty sailor suited soldier of justice.

NOT NEARLY AS STUPID AS IT SOUNDS I SWEAR. :P
Old 2010-07-23, 13:52   Link #127
SuzushinaYuriko
SHSL Lurker

Whoa, somebody else is actually reading this and posting the Anime of the Day!! I don't feel lonely now!

It was gonna be Arakawa Under the Bridge yesterday. I typed up most of it, left for a few hours, came back, finished typing it, and the server completely lost my post. So I went OTL and didn't feel like redoing it over again...

As for Sailor Moon, I watched some episodes of the crappy English dub when I was a kid. Ahh, good times.

Yesterday's anime of the day was:

Arakawa Under the Bridge (2010)

Ichinomiya Kou is a successful businessman who grew up with the family creed "never to owe anyone a debt." It's gotten to a point where he suffers severe asthma attacks if he owes anyone something. One day, he almost drowns when falling off a bridge, but is saved by the self proclaimed Venusian Nino living there. To repay the debt, he agrees to be her lover, and his strange new life under the bridge as "Recruit", or "Riku" for short, begins as he meets some of the most insane people he has ever encountered.

Definitely one of THE best comedies this year so far besides WORKING!! This is one of Studio SHAFT's hits, where they show how they excel at presenting dialogue. Its humor is hilarious and full of win, while teaching us and Riku to enjoy the simple things in life. There's romantic development with Riku and Nino, and Nino herself is an enigma that makes us wonder where exactly she came from. I recommend this to people looking for a great comedy and something different from the norm.
Old 2010-07-24, 12:47   Link #128
SuzushinaYuriko
SHSL Lurker

Kara no Kyoukai (2007-2009)

Kokuto Mikiya finds himself intrigued by two things. The first is Ryougi Shiki, a beautiful, yet rather unsociable, girl and the other is the strange series of violent deaths that start occuring in his town. As he attempts to get closer to Shiki, he soon learns that the two are connected and that there are many supernatural forces at work which could very likely get him killed as well.

The spiritual predecessor to the well known TYPE-MOON game Tsukihime, Kara no Kyoukai is an exceedingly beautiful and thrilling series. The episodes are presented in seven movies, the longest being the fifth at nearly two hours long. The animation and art are of the most highest quality I have ever seen in an anime besides Angel Beats!. The mysteries and supernatural elements draw you in and the action scenes are just gorgeous with Shiki showing her insane fighting skills at every possible moment. This is accented even more with a magnificent OST composed by Kajiura Yuki, one of the best composers out there.

Definitely go check this one out if you want an excellent mystery/supernatural/action series.
Old 2010-07-25, 16:19   Link #129
Suomi
Kaiba

Today's anime of the day is Vampire Knight.

Yuki Cross' earliest memory is of being all alone on a snowy night in winter, when she was attacked by an evil "Level E" vampire and saved by a powerful but kind vampire named Kaname Kuran. Ten years later, Yuki, along with her childhood friend, Zero Kiryu are school guardians at the prestigious Cross Academy where her adopted father is the headmaster. The school is hosting an experimental program that is trying to prove that humans and vampires can live together peacefully, in a quest for coexistance.

The job of the guardians is to make sure that peace is maintained and to protect the human "Day Class" students from the vampire "Night Class" students if necessary. They also make sure that the human students do not discover that the Night Class members are all actually vampires. They go by the guise as "prefects" or "disciplinary committee members" so as to not blow their secret. The day class students try to follow the night class students around, as they are all very beautiful, intelligent, and often flirts.

summary credit http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vampire_Knight

Great series. Manga is better, though.
Old 2010-07-25, 16:58   Link #130
Samurai dono
Anti-Manga Squad

Location: Anti-manga Corps Headquarters - Assassination Division
Hmm .. Lately, I've been thinking of checking the Macross series. A great classic, from what I hear. I should at least know what it's like or about.

Don't worry about posting Two Animes of the Day hehe .. we've skipped a few in the past few days so we're just cancelling out
Samurai dono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-25, 17:10   Link #131
SuzushinaYuriko
SHSL Lurker

Quote:
Hmm .. Lately, I've been thinking of checking the Macross series. A great classic, from what I hear. I should at least know what it's like or about.

Don't worry about posting Two Animes of the Day hehe .. we've skipped a few in the past few days so we're just cancelling out
Oh, thanks. I was quite surprised when I saw that someone else had posted before me. Did I skip a day before?

Macross Frontier (2008)

Half a century has passed since the devastating war between the humans and the giant species Zentradi. In its wake comes an era of peace and exploration in a galaxy flowing with the mysteries of the Protoculture. However, following great wonders are even greater dangers. On a search for inhabitable planets, the Frontier colony fleet is attacked by a species of space born creatures identified as Vajra. Even the latest in technology cannot stop them, and war seems to be inevitable. Why are they attacking? Who is controlling them? And what connection do they have to the music of amnesiac Ranka Lee?

Macross Frontier is the latest installment in the classic Macross series. You don't have to watch the rest of Macross to understand Macross Frontier, although a few terms here and there will be missed. Macross F is a spectacular blend of action and romance with fast paced space battles and love triangles combined together quite nicely. The OST for this series is absolutely gorgeous, since the series focuses on how music affects the whole situation and how important it is. I counted at least 20-30 complete full songs sung in the series, with the sultry voice of May'n and the beautiful voice of Nakajima Megumi complementing each other nicely and both being outstanding on their own.

Not just for sci-fi fans, anyone who wants a good action/romance series with excellent music should go check Macross Frontier out.
Old 2010-07-25, 17:56   Link #132
Samurai dono
Anti-Manga Squad

Quote:
Originally Posted by yukirosuzuka View Post
Did I skip a day before?
Untill you started posting here we would rely on our good friend Mr-Metropolisforever who would sometimes get busy ...... or banned ........ so yeah I guess there have been lots of days when no Anime of the Day was posted.

Also, you can always use the different-time-zones excuse heh
Old 2010-07-26, 05:56   Link #133
Ekureiru
神さま、ありがとう!
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via AIM to Ekureiru Send a message via MSN to Ekureiru

Ga-Rei -Zero-

"Will you kill someone you love because of love?"

The Japanese Ministry of Defense has an anti-paranormal special forces group called the Supernatural Disaster Prevention Office. They are the ones responsible to protect Japanese soil and its people from supernatural and paranormal events. However, things didn't go so well in one of their missions... (Source: ANN)

This series is a prequel to the manga series, Ga-Rei.

Ekureiru - An entity commonly recognized by many as being on par with gods.
Last.fm | MyAnimeList | Pettanko Fansubs | Now with a degree in Yanderekology.
Ekureiru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-26, 14:20   Link #134
SuzushinaYuriko
SHSL Lurker

Ooh, Ga Rei Zero. I was actually considering doing that today or tomorrow.

Yomi's story is so heartbreaking. I recommend this to people who want a great supernatural/action series.
Old 2010-07-27, 12:28   Link #135
SuzushinaYuriko
SHSL Lurker

Jigoku Shoujo (2005-2009)

Somewhere on the net, there exists a website called Hell Correspondence. It is a mysterious website that is only accessible at midnight. If you access that website and enter the name of a person you want to take revenge on, Hell Girl appears and gives you a straw doll. If you decide to pull the red string off the doll, then Hell Girl (Enma Ai) and her companions (Wanyuudo, Ren, and Hone Onna) will immediately execute vengeance on that person for their sins and Hell Girl will ferry them to hell. In exchange, you will also get sent there when your life ends. Your soul will never find peace, and it will burn in the pits of hell for eternity.

Jigoku Shoujo is an amazingly beautiful and dark series detailing the dark side of humankind. Most of the episodes are self-contained short stories of a person who is tormented so much until they resort to Hell Correspondence as their last option, trying to struggle and restrain themselves until it comes to a breaking point where they have to pull the string. Every character featured here has their background delved into and we can really understand and connect to them. Their stories are all separate and unique but can really happen in real life. Some of the stories make us wonder if there was any other option, some of them will make us facepalm with how people dealt with their situations, and most of them are just plain tragic, but really, that's just how humans are.
Old 2010-07-27, 15:30   Link #136
Samurai dono
Anti-Manga Squad

Wow. 90 episodes throughout 4 years, and it's something of so much depth, and I've never even heard of it.

Definitely will be checking it out soon ..
Old 2010-07-27, 20:27   Link #137
SuzushinaYuriko
SHSL Lurker

Glad to know I could be of some help! By the way, I personally did not like the third season, but that's just my opinion. Jigoku Shoujo is still an amazing series though, especially when they delve into Ai's past.
Old 2010-07-27, 20:47   Link #138
Hari Michiru
Insane Fangirl
*Author

Can I call the next anime of the day?

Anime-Planet.com - anime | manga | reviews
Hari Michiru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-28, 14:58   Link #139
SuzushinaYuriko
SHSL Lurker

Sure. Anyone can choose it, it's just that nobody else seemed to be contributing so I just kept posting mine.
Old 2010-07-29, 01:01   Link #140
Hari Michiru
Insane Fangirl
*Author

5 Centimeters per Second (2007)

A tale of two people, Tono Takaki and Shinohara Akari, who were close friends but gradually grow farther and farther apart as time moves on. They become separated because of their families yet continue to exchange contact in the form of letters. Yet as time continues to trudge on, their contact with one another begins to cease. Years pass and the rift between them grows ever larger. However, Takaki remembers the times they have shared together, but as life continues to unfold for him, he wonders if he would be given the chance to meet Akari again as the tale embarks on Takaki's realization of the world and people around him. (Source: ANN)

Unlike your typical love story, 5 Centimeters per Second brings the reality into a relationship, one that anyone can relate to. I'm sure everyone has experienced losing contact with someone close to you due to time and distance. Remember your close friends in elementary school? How many do you still talk to today? The movie also deals with unrequited love in a realistic manner; typically in anime, you would eventually confess to that person and get an answer. In 5 Centimeters per Second, the character in the second part does not even get a chance to confess before realizing her love interest has always been longing for someone else.

To sum it up: 5 Centimeters per Second is one of the most gut-wrenching, depressing and romantic movie for me because I realized how real the problems the characters go through are.

Anime-Planet.com - anime | manga | reviews
Hari Michiru is offline   Reply With Quote