AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Notices

Old 2010-07-29, 15:34   Link #141
SuzushinaYuriko
SHSL Lurker

Another anime to add to my to-watch list.
Old 2010-07-29, 16:21   Link #142
Samurai dono
Anti-Manga Squad

Location: Anti-manga Corps Headquarters - Assassination Division
^ Actually as soon as I read Hari Michiru's nice little write up, I went ahead and watched the first segment (the movie is split in three segments), and I'm off now to watch the second and the third ..

You might wanna move this entry a little further up your list. Trust me on that one ..
Samurai dono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-29, 19:00   Link #143
Hari Michiru
Insane Fangirl
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai dono View Post
^ Actually as soon as I read Hari Michiru's nice little write up, I went ahead and watched the first segment (the movie is split in three segments), and I'm off now to watch the second and the third ..

You might wanna move this entry a little further up your list. Trust me on that one ..
Are they split up into 3 different videos for you? I just watched all three as one complete movie. But yeah, this movie is definitely worth watching!

Anime-Planet.com - anime | manga | reviews
Hari Michiru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-29, 19:15   Link #144
Samurai dono
Anti-Manga Squad

Yeah, I heard it was released in theater something as a whole movie, but it was aired in three segmets (short films). I even heard a couple of scenes were added in the segmented version I'm not sure though ..

I must thank you for this one .. Even though it ruined my day (I'm too sad to do anything now), it was a fabulous experience.
Old 2010-07-29, 19:18   Link #145
Hari Michiru
Insane Fangirl
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai dono View Post
Yeah, I heard it was released in theater something as a whole movie, but it was aired in three segmets (short films). I even heard a couple of scenes were added in the segmented version I'm not sure though ..

I must thank you for this one .. Even though it ruined my day (I'm too sad to do anything now), it was a fabulous experience.
You can go watch ARIA (which will be today's anime of the day...unless someone beats me to it) and feel happy again~

Old 2010-07-29, 19:28   Link #146
Hari Michiru
Insane Fangirl
*Author

Aria

ARIA (2006, 2007, 2008)
(three separate seasons)

On the planet Aqua lies the watery city of Neo Venezia, a tourist hub in which people travel around in gondolas. Professional gondoliers known as Undines are well-revered as they act as tour guides for the people. Akari Mizunashi is a gondolier in training and also an employee of Aria Company. She gets to meet all sorts of people as she takes them on the gondola rides, from friendly mentors to special individuals, all this admidst the beautiful scenic backdrop of the entire city. (from ARIA the Animation article, ANN)

ARIA is a slice of life show that makes you feel at ease; it's like happy drugs for the soul. Although its slow pace makes it more ideal to split up watching it (i.e. don't marathon), I still love this show to pieces. The optimism in this show doesn't feel like forced sugar; rather, it flows nicely with the story and the setting.

Basically, ARIA is a show for you to just forget about the harshness of life for a while, and just feel good.

Old 2010-07-30, 07:30   Link #147
Tealeafy
✿Higurashi+Umineko Fan✿

☆ The anime of the day is... ☆

Shigofumi: Letters from the Departed (2008)
[12 episodes]

A mysterious girl by the name of Fumika is a mail carrier of sorts who delivers "after-death letters" (shigofumis) to the living. When you die, you are allowed to write one--and only one--shigofumi to someone of your choosing in the living world. Fumika, who is quiet and serious, is accompanied by her loud talking staff, Kanaka, and together they deliver the shigofumis. The anime is told in a set of arcs--each arc consisting of a new living person's story, and the reason why they are recieving their shigofumi. Fumika discovers new things about her past and just who she truly is along the way as she is forced to resurface painful old memories. Where did she come from, and are shigofumis all that they seem?

*Shigofumi is rather dark, so if you're looking for something happy-go-lucky, this probably isn't for you. ^_^;

Last edited by Tealeafy; 2010-08-01 at 09:09.
Tealeafy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-30, 12:00   Link #148
SuzushinaYuriko
SHSL Lurker

I watched 5 Centimeters Per Second. It was beautifully done. I feel sorry for Takaki at the end...

Shigofumi sounds interesting. I'll check it out later.

On another note, I'm glad this board is revived. Looking forward to more discussions on anime.
Old 2010-07-30, 16:43   Link #149
Hari Michiru
Insane Fangirl
*Author

Jigoku Shoujo is proving to be interesting~ I like how it reflects on society...or at least, Japanese society.

Old 2010-07-30, 17:29   Link #150
Metropolisforever

If you thought 5 Centimeters Per Second was too depressing, watch Grave of the Fireflies. It'll cheer you up.
Old 2010-07-30, 18:49   Link #151
Hari Michiru
Insane Fangirl
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metropolisforever View Post
If you thought 5 Centimeters Per Second was too depressing, watch Grave of the Fireflies. It'll cheer you up.
I actually didn't feel a thing except annoyance from the main character in that movie.

Old 2010-07-30, 19:43   Link #152
Metropolisforever

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hari Michiru View Post
I actually didn't feel a thing except annoyance from the main character in that movie.
You were annoyed at Seita and Setsuko?
Old 2010-07-31, 20:23   Link #153
Samurai dono
Anti-Manga Squad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tealeafy View Post
*Shigofumi is rather dark, so if you're looking for something happy-go-lucky, this probably isn't for you. ^_^;
Since the inventing of the concept of Warning, never has a warning been more appealing and drawing !!
I LOVE dark animes (as long as they're not psychological or horror) and this has an air of Gunslinger-Girl-ism to it ! my absolute favourite anime of all time, probably.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metropolisforever View Post
lol, should come with a warning on its back that says "Don't Watch If You Can't Afford Therapy" .. A few days ago someone told me that it's actually a true story and that the basic story was taken from someone's diary or something. I've seen it a long time ago so I don't remember if it said anything about it being based on a true story at the begining or the end of the film. Do you ?

and welcome back
Old 2010-07-31, 20:27   Link #154
SuzushinaYuriko
SHSL Lurker

Today's anime of the day is:

Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei (2007-2009)

It is the beginning of spring, and super positive girl Fuura Kafka is on her way to school when she encounters somebody trying to hang himself on a cherry blossom tree. Later, she finds out this person is her new teacher, the super negative pessimistic Itoshiki Nozomu, a person whose name looks like the character for "zetsubou (despair)" when written closely together earning him the nickname "Zetsubou-sensei (Mr. Despair)." Chaos ensues as Itoshiki Nozomu encounters the weirdest group of people around in his class (hikikomori, stalker, girl with OCD, illegal immigrant, etc.), himself included, and goes lamenting about the despairs of society.

Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei is an excellent comedy show. Its characters are wacky and fun, portraying stereotypes and making fun of them quite well. The episodes mainly follow the same format but it does so in a way that you don't really care about it and you're just laughing because of how it pokes fun of and references everything in Japanese society in the way that it does. It does drag a little at some parts in later seasons, but overall Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei is perfect for those who want good comedy.
Old 2010-08-02, 13:37   Link #155
Hari Michiru
Insane Fangirl
*Author

1st Season: Hetalia - Axis Powers (2009-2010)
2nd Season: Hetalia World Series (2010-present)

Summary: Italy, once home of the strongest empire in the world, has changed. This is the story of Italy, now a cowardly pasta-loving fool, and his friends (other personified countries of the world) as they live through strange moments in world history. (ANN)

This is history class reinvented! Although there are some inaccurate facts, the general gist of this series is based on the history we have learned to despise from those boring lectures. Each of the countries are also a satire on national stereotypes, so it might be offensive to some, but I found it pretty funny how Canada was always portrayed as being invisible.

If you like comedy and want to learn a bit of history as an added bonus, Hetalia is for you!

Old 2010-08-02, 15:08   Link #156
SuzushinaYuriko
SHSL Lurker

PASTAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

I'v been a Hetalia fan for a long time, but I'm not too much a fan of the anime since Studio DEEN doesn't really do a good job of animating it well (doesn't stop me from watching, but oh well). That said, they're really making all the money they can all they can out of Hetalia as they've announced a FOURTH season...

Yesterday's anime of the day was:

ef - a tale of memories/ef - a tale of melodies (2007-2008)

ef tells the tale of several different people, all connected in some way or another, as they fall in love and encounter hardships along the way.

Do NOT lump this series in with the cliched romance series you see everywhere nowadays. ef is a visual novel adaptation, yes, but it has got to be the best one out there because the stories are wonderfully written. The art and backgrounds are gorgeous as Studio Shaft shows how masterful they are with striking sky shots, wonderful use of color, and symbolism. The music is absolutely superb, with violins playing a big part in the soundtrack and Elisa's angelic voice lending itself to the openings (which by the way change according to the episode, especially in melodies).

The thing that really defines this series is the dialogue. It’s deep, it’s detailed, and it’s meaningful. It breathes life into the characters and wonderfully fleshes them out, giving them backgrounds and strongly establishing relationships.

I definitely recommend it for people who want good romance series as well for people who don't.
Old 2010-08-02, 15:32   Link #157
Kotohono
Yuri µ'serator

Hmm, Shaft did Ef?, I didn't know that, now I'll have consider adding it to my oh so long list of anime to watch . So curious on Ef, what would be the watching order for it?
MAL
Kotohono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-08-02, 17:48   Link #158
SuzushinaYuriko
SHSL Lurker

The first season, and then the second season, of course. Although since they're separate stories you don't really need to watch the first to watch the second to know what's going on.
Old 2010-08-03, 16:06   Link #159
Hari Michiru
Insane Fangirl
*Author

Bakemonogatari (2009)

Summary: Although there are still traces of the brief period he became a vampire, third year high school student Koyomi Araragi is human again. He happens upon others with their own supernatural problems and finds that he can empathize. Koyomi becomes involved in their lives, seeking to help them and occasionally asking for advice from Meme Oshino, the homeless man who helped him become human again. (ANN)

The plot is mostly driven by dialogue, so it might turn some people off, but I found it to be interesting despite the lack of action. The interactions between Araragi and the other characters (particularly with Senjougahara ) are quite intriguing, and are fun to watch. Plus, it's SHAFT! What can go wrong?

Old 2010-08-03, 17:04   Link #160
Kotohono
Yuri µ'serator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hari Michiru View Post
Plus, it's SHAFT! What can go wrong?
Episodes get delayed for months on end? , Sorry couldn't resist , though besides that not a whole lot.
MAL
Kotohono is offline   Reply With Quote