Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Notices

Old 2010-08-03, 17:16   Link #161
Hari Michiru
Insane Fangirl
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Konakaga View Post
Episodes get delayed for months on end? , Sorry couldn't resist , though besides that not a whole lot.
*shhhhh* No one's supposed to speak of that!

Anime-Planet.com - anime | manga | reviews
Hari Michiru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-08-05, 15:30   Link #162
NoLongerSane

Betterman (1999-2000)

Summary: A deadly virus known as "Algernon" has attacked humanity with vicious meaning. At the forefront of the battle is the mystifying Akamatsu Industries – disguised as a heavy machine factory in Tokyo, this undercover organization uses neural enhanced weapons known as Neuronoids to battle Algernon. Also helping with their secret efforts is the mysterious mutant who is only known as "Betterman".
ANN

Betterman is a 26 episode anime that was shown during the years 1999 and 2000. It is considered a Mecha anime that has as dark setting to it. It is also a psychological thriller at times with some horror elements going to it. This show is notorious for using terms from biology to psychology in explaining the content of the mechs to the virus they are fighting against.
NoLongerSane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-08-05, 15:51   Link #163
SuzushinaYuriko
SHSL Lurker

Yesterday's anime of the day was:

Wolf's Rain (2003-2004)

It is said that when the world ends, Paradise will appear, but only the wolves will know where it is. In a desolate future world, wolves have not been seen for 200 years and are supposedly extinct. However, they've simply taken on illusionary forms that make them appear human. When a white wolf named Kiba shows up in a run-down city, his proud attitude attracts the attention of other wolves—naive, undersized Toboe; street-smart, carefree Hige; and gruff loner Tsume. Together they set out in search of this legendary Paradise, led only by Kiba's instincts and the scent of a mysterious "Lunar Flower." But does Paradise even exist? Many humans will stand in their way: soldiers, scientists, Nobles, and a hunter who has sworn vengeance against all wolves. If they are to ever find Paradise, they will have to risk their lives to get there.

The story of journeying towards a promised land has been around for thousands of years, but it's amazing what a little creative thinking can do. At first glance, the world of Wolf's Rain is just a patchwork of familiar elements in science fiction and fantasy: domed post-apocalyptic cities, ancient castles and keeps, snowcapped wastelands, even deserts inspired by the Wild West. It's the sheer variety of these settings, however, that keeps things interesting. as the wolves journey through all of them to reach their goal.

The art is excellent, with subtle, mostly monochromatic colours and beautiful sweeping vistas adding to the sense of gloom and melancholy. The visuals in this series showcase Studio BONES at their most imaginative, with beautiful backgrounds that depict settings from high-tech mysticism to urban decay to open wilderness. The character designs are equally striking.

What really shines is the characters. Even though the four wolves can all be described in one word—the leader, the loner, the goofball, the kid—their personalities and back-stories are developed enough to set up some very touching moments at the end. Individually, they seem like stereotypes, but as they travel together, they change each other and end up a very different pack. It's this long-term character development that makes the final four episodes so emotionally powerful, even reaching out to affect the human characters too.

Wolf's Rain is absorbing and fascinating, with interesting characters, a novel plot and brilliant music. Set in a vivid modern-fantasy world, with remarkable characters and powerful emotions, Wolf's Rain is a series that people MUST watch.

I credit this review to the people at ANN because my words cannot simply describe this series. I finished it yesterday, in a sobbing mess, because it was just that emotionally powerful. The plot may be a bit vague at times but Wolf's Rain just does everything else so well that you don't even care about that. I applaud Studio BONES for making such a spectacular series.

On another note, I just finished Shigofumi. It was excellent, thank you for the recommendation.
Old 2010-08-07, 20:15   Link #164
MadPanda

Since no one's been here in a couple days...

Anime of the Day - 8/7/10

Kimi ni Todoke

It's hard being the odd-duck in school...it's even harder if you resemble a scary movie character. Unfortunately, our heroine Sawako has the triple misfortune of a)looking like the creepy girl from the well in the movie "Ringu" (The Ring); b)having her name mistaken as "Sadako" (the name of the movie character); and c)being so painfully shy as to be misunderstood as all manner of occult beings. Yes, life is hard for Sawako...until she meets someone who changes her life--and everyone's perception of her--forever.

From Wikipedia:
Kimi ni Todoke: From Me to You (君に届け?, lit. Reach you) is a romance shōjo manga by Karuho Shiina (Shīna Karuho). It has been published by Shueisha in Bessatsu Margaret since 2006 and collected in 11 tankōbon volumes as of June 2010. In 2008 it won the Best Shōjo Manga award in the 32nd Annual Kodansha Manga Award. The series was also nominated for the first Manga Taisho awards in 2008. An anime adaptation of Kimi ni Todoke aired in Japan, produced by Production I.G.

(Note: A live-action movie version will be released this September.)

Thoughts:
One of the most honest series I've ever seen. Well-voiced, nicely-drawn, and a storyline that I'm sure many girls (and even some boys) can relate to. It also hosts a lot of secondary characters worth loving/hating, and visual cues that--while they seem pointless at first--add their own depth to the storyline. At times hilarious, romantic, heartbreaking, and heartwarming. It's a shame the series ended early (26 eps weren't enough)--as much progress as Sawa-chan and love interest Kazehaya make, they still had so far to go. Thankfully, the manga is on-going. The anime is regarded as one of the best of 2009 by many outlets...and I definitely agree!

MadPanda...(and the OP and ED songs are great, too!)...

Last edited by MadPanda; 2010-08-08 at 10:25. Reason: removing address and posting actual pic instead.
MadPanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-08-07, 20:40   Link #165
Metropolisforever

Yesterday's Anime of the Day was...

Shadow Star Narutaru (2003)

In what is considered by many to be one of the most dark, disturbing and unpleasant anime ever aired on television, Shadow Star Narutaru starts off innocently enough: 12-year-old girl Shiina Tamai meets a strange being that looks like a giant starfish, whom she names Hoshimaru. As it turns out, she is not the only one with a "dragonchild"; she soon discovers many other children who have their own. So, basically, we've got a standard Pokemon knock-off, right? That's what the first few episodes make it seem like. But, as the series progresses, it suddenly becomes a morbid, sordid, twisted tale of cruelty. One character, for example, is horribly bullied, beaten, raped, and tormented by her peers (until her dragonchild turns into a grotesque monster and rapes/tortures/kills her tormentors). Even in the early episodes, there is talk of some sort of mass genocide. One character is forced to eat worms and later has glass shoved up her vagina (her peers threaten to stomp on her stomach and break the glass inside of her). One character slits her wrists, attempts suicide, and eventually stabs her sexually-abusive father, and so on. The series is a never-ending parade of violence, perversion, and sordid unpleasantness, all involving children. In addition, it moves as slow as molasses. The series has received generally negative reviews and was aired on - if you can believe it - Kids Station in Japan (yes, folks, that's the same channel that airs the Japanese Sesame Street). In America, the manga was heavily edited and eventually dropped entirely by Dark Horse Manga. What scares people about this particular series is that it STARTS OFF happy, peppy, cheerful, and innocent (like a standard kodomo anime), but then, all of a sudden, it turns into a nightmare. And, of course, there's also the whole "children" aspect. This sort of thing could NEVER be pulled off in America.
Old 2010-08-07, 20:48   Link #166
SuzushinaYuriko
SHSL Lurker

Yesterday's anime of the day was:

Higashi no Eden (2009)

On November 22, 2010, ten missiles strike against uninhabited areas of Japan, claiming no victims. This apparent terrorist act is referred to as "Careless Monday" and disregarded by most people. The series begins three months later, with a young Japanese woman named Morimi Saki visiting Washington D.C. as part of her graduation trip. When she gets into trouble, a mysterious Japanese man, who introduces himself as Takizawa Akira, helps her through it. The man appears to have no memory and is completely naked, carrying only a gun and a cell phone charged with 8.2 billion yen in digital money. While they are coming back to Japan, they learn that a new missile has hit their country.

Akira discovers that his phone is part of a game and that he himself is one of the participants. The game consists of twelve individuals, dubbed Seleção, who are given 10 billion yen to "save Japan." The Seleção are able to use the phone operator, Juiz, to fulfill any kind of order for a price. However if the money is used up completely or for selfish purposes, the individual will be eliminated.

Higashi no Eden is considered by many to be THE anime of 2009, and for many reasons. Its plot is well thought out and engaging, presenting us with mysteries and making us want to know more about why Takizawa Akira's memory is gone, who he is, this "game", the connection between the "game" and the terrorist attacks, and who exactly is beyond all of this. The character designs are simple and crisp but manage to be appealing, the characters being designed by the creator of Honey and Clover. The outstanding background art, highly likeable lead characters, and a unique plot makes Higashi no Eden one of those series that stand out from all the rest.

Sorry I haven't been posting a lot of these lately. My computer is getting old and it's been lagging a lot lately so it's been a bit of trouble trying to get these up. I'll try my best, though.
Old 2010-08-07, 21:45   Link #167
MadPanda

@Metro: Re: Shadow Star Narutaru

Man, just reading that made me squirm in my seat. Definitely not my cuppa, and I'm beside myself with the fact that they showed that on Kids Station. What were they thinking...preparing the little ones for the harsh realities of life? Ouch, babe!

On the other hand...

@Yukiro: Re: Eden of the East

Oh yeah, easily one of the best of 2009. I recently saw the movie of it (forget the subtitle) which takes place six months after the series. Just as amazing, if a bit confusing (open ending...for the next movie!). Akira is one of my favorite characters, and this series has one of my favorite plot questions ("If you had that kinda money and resources to change things, how would you do it?").

===
MadPanda...(BTW: Thanks for keeping this thread alive, MetropolisForever!)...
Old 2010-08-08, 08:52   Link #168
Marcus H.
Princess or Plunderer?

Luckily, I can suppress the effects of massive amounts of gore just as long as the source is pure text, but I can't vouch as to how it would affect my dream patterns later on (It's a few hours till bedtime here.)

It's also nice that you've kept posting for the Anime of the Day thread, but I hope that you wouldn't focus on anime with those kinds of themes. Plus, I would be pleased if you would recommend an anime of a much later period, just to see you out of your comfort zone (which is most probably anime series of the 60s, 70s and 80s and works from anime legends).

Just a piece of advice. I hope you don't take it harshly.
Spring 2023: Yamada-kun to Lv999 no Koi wo Suru, Kuma Kuma Kuma Bear Punch! (4/12), Skip to Loafer, Tonikaku Kawaii S2 (1/12), Otonari ni Ginga (5/12) and Kimi wa Houkago Insomnia (3/13).

Contact me on Wikia and MyAnimeList.
Anime List Status ~ Watching: 33. Completed: 468. Plan to watch: 39.
Marcus H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-08-08, 11:14   Link #169
MadPanda

Anime of the Day - 8/8/2010

Golgo 13
1983 (OVA); 2008-2009

From Wikipedia:
Golgo 13 (ゴルゴ13 Gorugo Sātīn?) is a manga series written and illustrated by Takao Saito, published in Shogakukan's Big Comic magazine since January 1969. In 1976, the manga won the 21st Shogakukan Manga Award for general manga. The series follows the titular character, a professional assassin for hire.

The manga is one of the longest running adult manga in Japan and has sold over 200 million copies in various formats, including compilation books. It has been adapted into two live-action feature films, two animated films, a television series and five video games.

Thoughts:
Needless to say, one of the most influential characters in anime history. Golgo 13/Duke Togo is one serious badass! Coolest of the cool under any kind of pressure, my man Duke is the ultimate sniper--the one to call when you need to make the impossible shot possible. Men fear him, women lust after him, and he deals with both with few words and lots of action--the sex is borderline explicit, and the fight scenes fast and furious...and of course, when Golgo hits his target, you're sure to see blood.

"Just don't stand behind him...if you value your life!"

His stony face and thick-brick eyebrows have been parodied by many anime characters even today. The recent series "Golgo 13: Queen Bee" is airing on The Anime Network On Demand as well as on their site (no, this wasn't meant to be a plug for AN!)

===
MadPanda...(Only two people can kill a man like Golgo--him, and God!)...

Last edited by MadPanda; 2010-08-08 at 11:15. Reason: date change.
Old 2010-08-08, 12:55   Link #170
SuzushinaYuriko
SHSL Lurker

I don't know any of the older classic anime. I really can't stand the old school style animation quality, even though I know they're excellent series.

I'll continue to write about and post the anime I like so that more people will try them out. Sorry if you don't like my choices.
Old 2010-08-08, 14:14   Link #171
MadPanda

No harm, no foul, Yukirosuzuka...if anything, I believe that's the point of this thread: for people to learn about a series they probably wouldn't watch (or hear of) otherwise. Going through the entire thread, there's both current and old-school anime here, so there's lots to choose from.

===
MadPanda...(off to finish watching "Bamboo Blade")...
Old 2010-08-08, 15:37   Link #172
Metropolisforever

Oh, I just *LOVE* the old-school style of animation. The older, the better!

I mean, come on... just look at my avatar. It's from a '50s manga.
Old 2010-08-08, 15:38   Link #173
Metropolisforever

And I'm very interested in things with very dark, disturbing themes, so... be warned.
Old 2010-08-08, 16:22   Link #174
Samurai dono
Anti-Manga Squad

Location: Anti-manga Corps Headquarters - Assassination Division
@yukirosuzuka: Actually the thread is fair game, if you get your chance you get to write about whatever anime you like, be it old, new, known or unknown. And in fact we are thankful to you for keeping the thread active when Metropolisforever wasn't around, and you did a very good job doing so.

And besides .. I must say you turned our heads (me and the rest of the silent readers, that is hehe) towards very interesting stuff we didn't really know about before.
Samurai dono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-08-08, 18:46   Link #175
Metropolisforever

Also, I'd like to point out that Golgo 13 is the second longest-running manga, after Sennin Buraku.

However, Golgo 13 is the longest-running manga to be published in a DEDICATED MANGA MAGAZINE. Golgo 13 has always run in the legendary Big Comic magazine, while Sennin Buraku has always run in Weekly Asahi Geino, which is a men's magazine, not a manga magazine.
Old 2010-08-08, 22:42   Link #176
MadPanda

@Metro - I don't mind old school if it's good. Heck, I watched "Speed Racer", "Gigantor", "The Amazing Three", and "Kimba the White Lion" when I was little...way before I even knew what 'anime' was (or where Japan was, for that matter!).

Quote:
And I'm very interested in things with very dark, disturbing themes, so... be warned.
Yeah, kinda got that vibe, but it's cool. I don't get darker than, say, "Perfect Blue" if I can help it.

===
MadPanda...(though the end of "School Days" was pretty black!)...
Old 2010-08-09, 11:21   Link #177
MadPanda

Anime of the Day - 8/9/10 (nice symmetry!)

School Days
2007 (series), 2008 (2 OVA)

From Wikipedia:

Makoto Ito is a young Japanese high school student beginning his second term at the fictional Sakakino Academy. During his daily train rides to and from school, he becomes infatuated with fellow student Kotonoha Katsura; a girl that also commutes. When a new classmate acquaintance of his, Sekai Saionji, discovers his secret crush on Kotonoha, she helps introduce both of them to each other and over time they grow closer and agree to date. However in spite of her proud and triumphant matchmaking efforts, Sekai inadvertently becomes jealous of the new couple, having also developed feelings toward Makoto.

Thoughts:
That little scenario above may sound like something you've seen a thousand times before, but where it goes from there is a whole 'nother animal. From that simple premise, spins one of the most romantically twisted anime I've seen. Not surprisingly, it's based on a light novel (dating sim game) with multiple endings. What is surprising is the ending they chose to show us. How surprising, you ask? Read below:

Spoiler for events and effects surrounding final episode:

I loved the show, but became increasingly annoyed at Makoto and Sekai...actually cursing the screen as I was watching it! The ending actually satisfied me in a sadistic kinda way. It also gave me a whole new perspective of harem/date anime. A cautionary tale of the different sides of young love...and taking responsibility for your actions.

===
MadPanda...(thankfully, the two OVA's lessen the sting a bit!)...
Old 2010-08-09, 14:32   Link #178
SuzushinaYuriko
SHSL Lurker

Quote:
Actually the thread is fair game, if you get your chance you get to write about whatever anime you like, be it old, new, known or unknown. And in fact we are thankful to you for keeping the thread active when Metropolisforever wasn't around, and you did a very good job doing so.
You're welcome. I have a lot of fun writing up summaries and thoughts on the anime of the day, so I'm glad to see that people were reading them and checking anime out even though nobody else commented.

As for School Days, I just watched it for the NICE BOAT ending. Makoto is such a jerk. He doesn't even deserve to be fought over...

I'm currently trying out Nodame Cantabile and I'm in love with it. I'll post it up here one of these days when I finish it.
Old 2010-08-09, 20:39   Link #179
MadPanda

Quote:
As for School Days, I just watched it for the NICE BOAT ending. Makoto is such a jerk. He doesn't even deserve to be fought over...
Tell me 'bout it. Made me wanna apologize just for being male. "We're not all like that...really!"

Quote:
I'm currently trying out Nodame Cantabile and I'm in love with it. I'll post it up here one of these days when I finish it.
I'll keep an eye out, as I've been somewhat on the fence on that one.

===
MadPanda...(an analog panda in a digital world)...
Old 2010-08-10, 11:59   Link #180
MadPanda

Anime of the Day - 8/10/10

Simoun

From AniDB:

In the world of Daikuuriku, everyone is born female, and chooses which sex they wish to become at age 17. In this world, the peaceful theocracy of Simulacrum is guarded by magical flying machines called "Simoun", which can only be piloted by young girls who haven't chosen a sex yet. The Simoun can activate a magical power known as "Ri Maajon" that destroys large numbers of enemies at once. When the industrialized nation of Argentum decides that it needs to invade Simulacrum to acquire the secret of the Simoun, war breaks out, drawing the Simoun "Sibyllae" (priestesses who fly the Simoun) into a lopsided battle. Because the war is raging, the Sibyllae are granted an exemption from choosing a permanent sex for as long as they're willing to keep flying. Aaeru, a determined young Sibylla with a mysterious past, and Neviril, the leader of Chor Tempest, Simulacrum's most elite Simoun squadron, must lead their fellow priestesses through conflict both within their ranks and in the sky.

Thoughts:

I came into this thinking of it as a 'guilty pleasure yuri show' (and the first kiss in the first few minutes didn't disappoint), but the more I got into it, the more I got out of it. It's really a complex little mix of political intrigue, senses of duty and obligation, and of course, sexual identity. The main characters may be a bit cookie-cutter-ish, but you still root for them (especially Aaeru) to achieve their goals. This is by no means a kiddie show, as some themes are way over their heads (heck, the 'techonolgy' is over some of the characters' heads!). The ending may not be completely satisfying, but it will make you think, long after the series is over. Great soundtrack, very good fight scenes, nice (not great) artwork, and relatable characters...and a very good (if a bit muddled) storyline. If you're into yuri, this is a -must- see. If not, you might like it anyway.

===
MadPanda...(watching "Ga-Rei Zero", thanks to this thread's recommendation!)...