AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Hayate no Gotoku

Notices

Old 2010-12-31, 20:11   Link #1841
GDB

Quote:
Originally Posted by madmac View Post
I'd be nice if Viz sped things up a little, but it's really not their style, outside of maybe One Piece and Naruto. Even Bleach is almost two years behind, from what I've heard. (Don't read it, myself.)
Better than Case Closed. We're currently on volume 36 (with 37 coming out in 2 weeks). Detective Conan in Japan is on volume 70. That puts us about eight and a half years behind.
GDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-03, 03:58   Link #1842
MrTerrorist
Takao Tsundere Cruiser

I'm not sure if this was posted before but here are the actors for the Live action drama of Hayate the Combat Butler.

http://image.udn.com/gallery/stars/show.jsp?pid=36827
Old 2011-01-03, 04:50   Link #1843
Mentar
Banned

If the right girl is supposed to be Nagi, they completely failed at casting, she's way too tall and old for her. If it's supposed to be Hina, it will work (though they failed at the hairdo), but I wonder why they don't show Nagi instead.

Weird.
Mentar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-03, 06:32   Link #1844
madmac

For whatever reason, the live action adaption made the entire cast adults. I have no idea how that works, honestly.

Oh, and check this out.

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news...-being-planned

"Next Step" is annoyingly vague, but it gives me some hope we might still get a third season. I was starting to think the movie was all we'd get, but on second thought, You don't do a theatrical release for a series that isn't doing well.
madmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-03, 07:29   Link #1845
Tom Bombadil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mentar View Post
If the right girl is supposed to be Nagi, they completely failed at casting, she's way too tall and old for her. If it's supposed to be Hina, it will work (though they failed at the hairdo), but I wonder why they don't show Nagi instead.

Weird.
Mentar, the girl on the left is supposed to be Nagi according to this blog Apparently, she is a Korean star. The blog also contains a much more artistic photo of her. I can hardly believe they are the same person.
Old 2011-01-03, 08:43   Link #1846
Mentar
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Bombadil View Post
Mentar, the girl on the left is supposed to be Nagi according to this blog Apparently, she is a Korean star. The blog also contains a much more artistic photo of her. I can hardly believe they are the same person.
HnG as adults? Hello? What's the whole point?

That, and Hata's ominous "great developments for Nagi" announcement don't exactly fill me with enthusiasm. I hope we won't have another "School Rumble" fiasco - where the author insisted on getting it his way (Tenma forever) and ruined things this way.
Old 2011-01-03, 09:13   Link #1847
madmac

Quote:
Eh, it's not a choice I would have made, but I can see it. The basic set-up hinges more on Hayate's density then Nagi's age, all things considered. Not to say it doesn't lose anything in the process, because it definitely does. (And seriously, I don't think even Japan could get away with a live action romantic comedy starring an underaged character.)

Quote:
That, and Hata's ominous "great developments for Nagi" announcement don't exactly fill me with enthusiasm. I hope we won't have another "School Rumble" fiasco - where the author insisted on getting it his way (Tenma forever) and ruined things this way.
Oh come on, there's nothing "ominous" (or unexpected, given recent developments) about announcing that Nagi is in for some major character development over the next year.

I mean, did you expect the editor to announce that Hina was going to become the new heroine of the manga?
Old 2011-01-03, 09:23   Link #1848
Mentar
Banned

Quote:
Eh, it's not a choice I would have made, but I can see it. The basic set-up hinges more on Hayate's density then Nagi's age, all things considered. Not to say it doesn't lose anything in the process, because it definitely does. (And seriously, I don't think even Japan could get away with a live action romantic comedy starring an underaged character.)
If you take away the "Hayate trying to help Nagi grow up" angle, what does remain? A ditzy super-rich Hikikomori without common sense? How do they plan to integrate the other characters if the school clamp is missing? I think that this is going to change the basic setting tremendously.

Quote:
Oh come on, there's nothing "ominous" (or unexpected, given recent developments) about announcing that Nagi is in for some major character development over the next year.
He had the same ominous announcements in the past, too. For me it seems like he's trying to convince himself (and the readers) that something important is going to happen to make her the prime character again - while she factually isn't. This rather recognizes that he failed to do so in the past. If he ever really tried.

Quote:
I mean, did you expect the editor to announce that Hina was going to become the new heroine of the manga?
Become? Remain ^_^
Old 2011-01-03, 09:46   Link #1849
madmac

Quote:
If you take away the "Hayate trying to help Nagi grow up" angle, what does remain? A ditzy super-rich Hikikomori without common sense? How do they plan to integrate the other characters if the school clamp is missing? I think that this is going to change the basic setting tremendously.
You don't have to be a child to need help growing up.

I don't think they even plan to introduce the school angle, honestly, none of the cast announcements have mentioned Hina or any of the other school characters.

Really, I have such low expectations for the drama that I don't particularly care what they do.

(Not going into the other stuff because we're never going to agree there.)
Old 2011-01-03, 09:54   Link #1850
Mentar
Banned

Quote:
You don't have to be a child to need help growing up.

I don't think they even plan to introduce the school angle, honestly, none of the cast announcements have mentioned Hina or any of the other school characters.

Really, I have such low expectations for the drama that I don't particularly care what they do.
Oh, I can't see myself watching this. Live-Action conversions are disasters in 99% of all cases. But what's the point in naming a show "Hayate no Gotoku" when the story is going to be completely different?

Quote:
(Not going into the other stuff because we're never going to agree there.)
I was just kidding

Happy new year, btw.
Old 2011-01-03, 18:08   Link #1851
GDB

Quote:
Children can't act worth shit in Japan. Just watch the second Conan drama. The children were only in it for like 5 minutes before they got a temporary antidote and turned back into adults, and they were horrible the entire 5 minutes.

Quote:
College?
GDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-13, 20:12   Link #1852
Michie_

Quote:
Children can't act worth shit in Japan. Just watch the second Conan drama. The children were only in it for like 5 minutes before they got a temporary antidote and turned back into adults, and they were horrible the entire 5 minutes.
That's not entirely true. Gokusen and Hana Yori Dango had many young actors and they did great. Sure they weren't that young but they could easily pas for 14/15. Actually lot's of Jdrama uses young actors that do really well.
Michie_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-13, 20:19   Link #1853
Von Himmel
エーレンフェストの聖女

Young actors, but not necessarily that young like Nagi, who is 13(?) From what I've seen in Jdrama, 'young' actors who is good are usually in high-school

Von Himmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-13, 21:49   Link #1854
GlassesLady
dat apple

Dawson Casting generally happens because of a lack of young actors for whatever reason. There's an entire list on that page, plus examples, if anyone wants it.

My Pokemans; let me show you them.
GlassesLady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-14, 04:23   Link #1855
Michie_

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyvedelta View Post
Young actors, but not necessarily that young like Nagi, who is 13(?) From what I've seen in Jdrama, 'young' actors who is good are usually in high-school
But isn't Nagi in Higschool
I'm sure they could easily find a young actress/singer who could easily pass for a 13 year old Ojou-sama.
Although i'm not sure if there are many Taiwanese child actors since i haven't seen that much Taiwanese drama.
Old 2011-02-09, 19:56   Link #1856
Michie_

Really bad news. Volume 18 of Hayate the Combat Butler will be sold in September so that means there will be only 2 volumes of Hayate the Combat Butler from this year on.

Can't say i'm really happy about this
Old 2011-02-09, 20:30   Link #1857
madmac

Quote:
Really bad news. Volume 18 of Hayate the Combat Butler will be sold in September so that means there will be only 2 volumes of Hayate the Combat Butler from this year on.

Can't say i'm really happy about this
Yeah, I noticed that, pretty depressing. I just hope they don't drop the series altogether.

Seriously, at two volumes a year, it would take 5 years just to catch up to where Japan is now. Nothing I can do though, except keep buying them and hope the series becomes popular enough to merit a speed up at some point.
Old 2011-02-09, 23:06   Link #1858
GlassesLady
dat apple

Okay, now that's just sad.
I wonder what inspired this reduced speed of release. Is anything else from Viz slowing down?

My Pokemans; let me show you them.
GlassesLady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-02-27, 21:55   Link #1859
Tom Bombadil

Live action poster.

http://tieba.baidu.com/f?kz=1012683719

This Maria is not bad.
Old 2011-02-28, 04:28   Link #1860
Sean Gaffney
Nomad of the Time Streams

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlassesLady View Post
Okay, now that's just sad.
I wonder what inspired this reduced speed of release. Is anything else from Viz slowing down?
Many things from Viz are slowing down, all for the same reason: low sales. Hayate's never hit the NYT lists, after all. Be thankful you aren't an Excel Saga fan, as that's down to once a year. I do agree the only way to fix this is to buy the volumes.
Sean Gaffney is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
action, comedy, romance, shounen, synergy sp