AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2008-02-06, 02:00   Link #281
aka Providence
(; ,;) fthagn

Send a message via AIM to aka Providence Send a message via Yahoo to aka Providence
my top three in no particular order:

Higurashi -- I really tried to finish the first season, but each attempt made me quite sleepy and uninterested.

Clannad -- Bored me.

Haruhi -- This might be the only anime I disliked after seeing so many fanatics of the series. I liked it when I watched it, but in the end I felt that it's not memorable for me. Maybe hate is too big of a word for this-- let's just say that I'm not so excited about the second season.
Old 2008-02-06, 02:04   Link #282
Oppius
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by aka Providence View Post
Haruhi -- This might be the only anime I disliked after seeing so many fanatics of the series. Maybe hate is too big of a word for this-- let's just say that I'm not so excited about the second season.
Count me too. I don;t hate SHnY. I just hate to see fanboys(and fangirls) screaming for it. I also not excited about its second season.
Old 2008-02-06, 02:04   Link #283
Phantasmagoria
*Author

Lucky Star - My favourite Seiyuu are in there but, the likes of the main 4 girls.. piss me off.
I still like the Rozen Maiden parody though, :/
Old 2008-02-06, 02:13   Link #284
nickcarloskim
華麗にする

Send a message via ICQ to nickcarloskim Send a message via MSN to nickcarloskim Send a message via Yahoo to nickcarloskim
GundXX.Though ever being a ShinSaku,it has lost its most respectable element about Moe but been an idol drama.Personal view.
Old 2008-02-06, 02:15   Link #285
Ash Falls Town

I personally didn't like Twelve Kingdoms terribly much. To me it felt to much like a novel and not enough like an anime. (Yes I know it was based off of a novel but plenty of game and manga based anime don't play like games or manga.)
It's not that the story is bad but it was too epic to watch. They even needed entire episodes of exposition which though interesting aren't really using the medium to it's fullest potential.
No one else seems to find any problem with that though. The only complaints I've ever read on the series is that we don't find out what happens to Taiki.
Though I haven't seen it I also don't really like Haruhi all that much. A person with that much pride and vanity really rubs me the wrong way.
I'm not sure if this counts but I also don't get people who like Kanon because it's sad. Frankly it's one of the happiest anime I've ever seen.
Old 2008-02-06, 02:41   Link #286
qtipbrit
Buddhajew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amex_Yohko View Post
In my opinions, School Days is not the "Worst anime of 2007" but "Worst anime everybody watched of 2007". Not basically the worst show but anime that have low rating but lots of people watching it much like Gamespot's "Worst game everyone played" dubious award. People only watching it just for its last episode, not on everything else on that show.
I'll have to agree here, though I actually enjoyed watching a good deal of School Days. I at first only wanted to watch it because of the stories I had heard about its ending, but I found the rest of the anime to be mildly likeable, and the ending disappointing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ash Falls Town View Post
I personally didn't like Twelve Kingdoms terribly much. To me it felt to much like a novel and not enough like an anime. (Yes I know it was based off of a novel but plenty of game and manga based anime don't play like games or manga.)
I'm not sure if this counts but I also don't get people who like Kanon because it's sad. Frankly it's one of the happiest anime I've ever seen.
I'm not quite sure on the number, but I'd say around 90% of anime is based off of manga, novels, and games, likely more, so not much really plays like novels, games, manga, etc. I also don't understand what you mean, though I haven't watched Twelve Kingdoms, what do you mean by it feeling like a novel? (I'm actually curious.)

You may have to change you definition of "Happy" if you thought Kanon was one of the happiest anime series you've seen. Or just watch some other happier anime series(there's probably a few out there, a couple thousand, likely.)
Or maybe you need to rewatch it and read the subs.
Old 2008-02-06, 03:24   Link #287
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
Hate is such a strong word, I rarely hate anything, but let's just say I don't really care for the collective efforts of Kyoto Animation up to this point, though that's mostly because it takes a hell of a lot to get me to like the type of series they usually do outside of maybe a guilty pleasure. It qualifies for a mention in this thread based on just how much everyone else seems to hold their shows as the pinnacle of anime (okay not so much anymore, but still) and not so much hatred on my part, just indifference. Except for Lucky Star which I really truly disliked as a series by the end.

I don't know, little about them appeals to me versus more complex Visual Novels like Higurashi, but I tend to follow them anyway, if only to observe the phenomenon first hand and take notes as I find peoples sometimes specific fascination with their series....well, fascinating. So much of the popularity seems to be based off an immediate fad/trendiness rather than a true belief in their series supremacy, but we'll see, I don't know. The fact that it's all winding down with more moderate fans giving their take on it all seems to point to this though.

That was also one of the other reasons that make their series so hard to get into. Sometimes you felt stifled to the point where if you even try to constructively criticise a Kyoto series and look for ways in which improvement can be made then the fans would (will?) jump all over you and the discussion just goes to hell. That has been a definite turn off, that the ideal of each of their successive series inherent perfection cannot be allowed to come under question by some. On some occasions my frustration when greeted with this belief system would turn to rage and I said some pretty nasty things.

That brings me to another point. I know I can also be a bit of a jerk when it comes to Gundam, but this is only when people are just nitpicking without trying to accomplish anything productive or making things up. Calling somebody an anti-fan or a troll because they suggest fault in something shouldn't happen if they have evidence and are being polite, reasonable and respectful about their criticism. It happens, and I would argue needs to happen for discussion to continue. Somebody has to have a difference of opinion somewhere. Alright drifting off-topic there so back to the point. If people really want my collective thoughts on the "Kyoto Animation Accord" (as I've come to jokingly call the whole phenomonen) up to this point through all I've observed then go read Darklord_bg's post a couple pages back as it's quite literally exactly the same.

Anyway, other than that, Soko No Strain (I think this was relatively popular, but I didn't like it), Manabi Straight (The embodiment of marketing trends in anime that I don't care for), Claymore (Definitely! I found this one dryer than a desert with what appeared to be the appeal of a female lead in an action series holding it up), Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei (just to over the top) and most any Slice of Life series that feature all girl casts.

Some people appear to hold the Slice of Life genre as an automatic winning formula, but I only come to play when the series truly gives me something to ponder and the Ichigo Mashimaro's and Minami Ke's of the anime world just don't do this for me. As a comparison, something like Genshiken however does, with it's balanced cast of characters and their genders that attempt to give us a glimpse at the Otaku lifestyle. I also actually find it genuinely.

Last edited by Kaioshin Sama; 2008-02-06 at 03:52.
Old 2008-02-06, 03:51   Link #288
aka Providence
(; ,;) fthagn

Send a message via AIM to aka Providence Send a message via Yahoo to aka Providence
^can't believe i forgot Claymore. after some of my anime-watching friends recommended it to me I watched it and it was a big disappointment.
Old 2008-02-06, 04:10   Link #289
Phantasmagoria
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by aka Providence View Post
^can't believe i forgot Claymore. after some of my anime-watching friends recommended it to me I watched it and it was a big disappointment.
The way I see it, compared to them [those whom I know only watch those typical anime, I don't need to give names..], we(I hope so) watched alot more anime, and series like Claymore begin to pale in comparison since we know/have a wider scope, many things became so predictable and there's nothing that thrills you at all, which explains the kind of boredom & disappointment we experience.
Old 2008-02-06, 04:38   Link #290
aka Providence
(; ,;) fthagn

^i agree, in a way. while i find myself uninterested watching some anime because of some plot similarities or predictable outcomes, there are some i simply enjoy for minor reasons. for example, i still like Lucky Star due to the fact that I expect nothing, and that there's no real plot to it.

maybe it's just me, but i find myself easily unmotivated when someone recommends me to watch a certain anime. i always get the feeling that those who made the recommendation is waiting for a reply or something.
Old 2008-02-06, 04:59   Link #291
Ash Falls Town

Quote:
Originally Posted by qtipbrit92 View Post
I'm not quite sure on the number, but I'd say around 90% of anime is based off of manga, novels, and games, likely more, so not much really plays like novels, games, manga, etc. I also don't understand what you mean, though I haven't watched Twelve Kingdoms, what do you mean by it feeling like a novel? (I'm actually curious.)

You may have to change you definition of "Happy" if you thought Kanon was one of the happiest anime series you've seen. Or just watch some other happier anime series(there's probably a few out there, a couple thousand, likely.)
Or maybe you need to rewatch it and read the subs.
Ok to answer you about Twelve Kingdoms.One it really has alot of exposition in it there are several episode which are entirely made up of exposition. In novels these parts usually aren't disruptive to the flow of the story because they take up a relativly small number of pages. In anime however these types of scenes take up the space the conversation would actually take which adds to alot when you add in pauses to make the talking sound more natural. There are other reasons as well such as the epic and thus relativly impersonal nature of the narrative which also suits novel form better.
My line about Twelve Kingdoms feeling like a novel was actually a criticism. I was trying to justify it by saying just because this anime was based on a novel was no excuse for it being like a novel when other anime based on games,novels and manga aren't like games, novels or manga but like anime.

Spoiler for OT Why Kanon isn't sad:
Old 2008-02-06, 07:09   Link #292
Medousa
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via MSN to Medousa
Uw ... Mostly all of "Animes that everyone liked" ôô (One Piece is O.K., even if I just watch it when my little brother does ... )

Firsly, Bleach. I just don't know why everyone love this one! It kinda just an anime-where-people-fight-for-no-good-reason ... Yea, I know, there is probably a reason, but whatever. With the same reason, there is Naruto, which I liked up to ep 62 I think. After this, it get so boring.

Mmh... I didn't really like Ikkitousen either. There is so much Echhi that it become ridiculous. (Not sure if this sentence is right ... And BTW, sorry again for the bad English.XD) After the Ecchi thingie, I just hated the "principal girl character", Hazumu. She was so stupid ... O.o I hope the second season is not that bad. :s (Even though I won't listen it.XD)

And the last one - Yeah, I don't want to list them all ... Jigoku Shoujo. The first time, I thought the story was good, but I saw that it was horribly repetitive. O_O
Old 2008-02-06, 08:14   Link #293
Echoes

Quote:
Mmh... I didn't really like Ikkitousen either.
I think a lot of people would be in agreement that Ikkitousen is far from a quality production. I mean, come on, somehow all their clothes get ripped at the beginning of every god-damned fight. It can be enjoyed for what is it, though, but don't try to take it seriously at all. Which is why Dragon Destiny was a such drag for me, they really took themselves too seriously in the second season.
Old 2008-02-06, 08:18   Link #294
aka Providence
(; ,;) fthagn

^mm, i can remember watching the anime on tv. most of the ecchi parts were cut, making the plot rather unclear to me. that wasn't much of a loss, though.
Old 2008-02-06, 12:02   Link #295
KholdStare
ISML Technical Staff
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via AIM to KholdStare Send a message via MSN to KholdStare
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amex_Yohko View Post
In my opinions, School Days is not the "Worst anime of 2007" but "Worst anime everybody watched of 2007". Not basically the worst show but anime that have low rating but lots of people watching it much like Gamespot's "Worst game everyone played" dubious award. People only watching it just for its last episode, not on everything else on that show.
You pretty much either love it or hate it, based on how much you like the last episode. However, I don't think that it's unfair to rate the entire series on how much you hate the last episode. I hated the last episode, but that doesn't mean I'm going to pretend I didn't enjoy some of the earlier episodes. I've rated 1's AND 10's, so I went for what was fair and gave it a 6/10 overall. There are much worse series that doesn't just have a sucky ending, but is sucky overall.

About Claymore I think it suffers the same fate. I didn't like the ending, but the second arc of the anime was so great in my opinion that I'm obligated to give it a 9/10 overall.
Old 2008-02-06, 16:11   Link #296
Spectacular_Insanity
Ha ha ha ha ha...
*Graphic Designer

I thnk you people set your expectations way too high in the first place. It's better just to watch it. I mean it. You people think too much about what you're watching so you can't appreciate the pure cinema. I don't go into an anime expecting anything, so whatever I percieve isn't shaded by what other people say.
Old 2008-02-06, 16:28   Link #297
KholdStare
ISML Technical Staff
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via AIM to KholdStare Send a message via MSN to KholdStare
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spectacular_Insanity View Post
I thnk you people set your expectations way too high in the first place. It's better just to watch it. I mean it. You people think too much about what you're watching so you can't appreciate the pure cinema. I don't go into an anime expecting anything, so whatever I percieve isn't shaded by what other people say.
I agree. School Days, however, is nothing about expectations. From the get go people were posting YouTube videos about its game endings, and expectations were just...well not there. If you watch it you'll know what I mean.
Old 2008-02-06, 16:50   Link #298
siber222000
미, 미, 미 미쿠루빔~!!!

naruto / bleach
Old 2008-02-06, 16:54   Link #299
X10A_Freedom

Well, I wouldn't really describe having anime hates. It's more "Why do so many people like it?"

Eureka Seven - I didn't have the patience to get to the later (allegedly) "epic" part after seeing how retarded the main character was in the first few episodes.

Haruhi - KyoAni does a great job but I'm not fond of the source material. To sum it up nicely, I don't want to be ruled by a goddess who is a b****.

Lucky Star - I found it extremely weird.

Bleach - Recycling of the "kidnap" plot and Dragonball-style powerups.

Naruto - Watched one random episode which the pacing was agonisingly slow in the battle.
Old 2008-02-06, 17:13   Link #300
roninhobbit
Roboguzu

I can see why people dislike Ikkitousen if that thing just isn't their cup of tea. In its defense, I think it did pretty well in being what it set out to be, nothing but fanservice and fight scenes. The anime equivalent of a 'popcorn flick'. Even with the whole Romance of the Three Kingdoms backdrop, they really didn't take themselves too seriously...at least not until Dragon Destiny.

For me, I just couldn't enjoy Gunslinger Girl. I tried. I tried hard. I really wanted to enjoy it. But for whatever reason, it just bored the living hell out of me.

As for Death Note, one of the things I enjoyed about it is I didn't really know if I was rooting for Light or L. In the end I suppose I was more like Ryuk, just eatin' apples and watching to see how it all turned out.
Closed Thread