AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2004-04-14, 06:12   Link #1
kamatari honjo

Is it just me?

i have a hard time getting my friends and aquaintances to watch some of the anime i suggest.

especially hikaru no go, they are like "its about go. i am not going to watch that."

well i have had ton of problem like that its a sports anime, its too shounen, its too shoujo, its got a funny name, the one that makes me angry "its too long.", he's a pirate made of rubber, that doesnt sound good.
these are my friends i listen to what they like and dislike i mean am i going to steer them wrong.

but there is one especially annoying thing that gets me, is some newer fan REFUSE to watch the kenshin tv show because they have seen the oavs. "the show's animation is so bad and he is goofy." OMG, kyoto arc is painfully good, sometimes i think about punching these people.

do you all have similiar problems, or even suggestions?
Old 2004-04-14, 06:26   Link #2
Kyoji
I WANT MORE MILK!

well, i got my friend to watch naruto after playing the 2nd GC game, he loves that, i mad him sit through at least 1 ep of one piece (which he always complained about) and now he likes that too, and he is the one trying to make me watch Hikaru no Go (which i think sounds boring :P)
Old 2004-04-14, 09:14   Link #3
Rhia
shush! I was only helping

when i talk to my friend abou tit shes liek you and you japanese rubbish, theres just no getting to her, she just thinks its dumb cartoons, she thinks all anime is like pokemon digimon and all that jazz :P
she just wont listen..
Old 2004-04-14, 09:53   Link #4
Thyrz
Laidback Luke

Hmm, some of my mates are in a football club but they don't make me play with them, even though I used to play with them when we were kids.

And why the hell would I want to "convert" someone anyway :P I don't give a damn, they don't even know I watch anime. And I'm not going to bother.

I r advise j00 to do the same. :P It's easy once you get used to it.
Old 2004-04-14, 09:58   Link #5
Rhia
shush! I was only helping

no no no

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thyrz
Hmm, some of my mates are in a football club but they don't make me play with them, even though I used to play with them when we were kids.

And why the hell would I want to "convert" someone anyway :P I don't give a damn, they don't even know I watch anime. And I'm not going to bother.

I r advise j00 to do the same. :P It's easy once you get used to it.
but calling anime "STUPID" is totall unecceptable...
Old 2004-04-14, 10:06   Link #6
Thyrz
Laidback Luke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhia
but calling anime "STUPID" is totall unecceptable...
Not really, the anime you just listed really are stupid :P
Just say something like "Pokemon and Digimon is no anime, dumbass". ;P
Old 2004-04-14, 10:12   Link #7
monir
cho~ kakkoii

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhia
when i talk to my friend abou tit shes liek you and you japanese rubbish, theres just no getting to her, she just thinks its dumb cartoons, she thinks all anime is like pokemon digimon and all that jazz :P
she just wont listen..
You meant about it, didn't you? I ask because reference to tit, boob or using any other synonym when talking to a girl about anime or anyother matters, will not be a good opening line for pursuasion. Well, most girls anyway.

About anime and stupid, "A stupid is what stupid does" - Immortal quote of a Forrest Gump.
Old 2004-04-14, 10:17   Link #8
Thyrz
Laidback Luke

Quote:
Originally Posted by monir
You meant about it, didn't you? I ask because reference to tit, boob or using any other synonym when talking to a girl about anime or anyother matters, will not be a good opening line for pursuasion. Well, most girls anyway.

About anime and stupid, "A stupid is what stupid does" - Immortal quote of a Forrest Gump.
...And I beheld a great, and darth display from Teh Pervert Sennin, who only dreamt...
Old 2004-04-14, 18:25   Link #9
Senpai
Waffo!!

Send a message via AIM to Senpai
Wooo!! my first post...
anyways...

if we are going to talk about pokemon and digimon being teh suck and not being anime, what about DBZ? most people will say "bah" to anime after watching some DBZ... thats why my best friend will never watch anime, he watched ONE episode of DBZ and said screw anime
Old 2004-04-14, 20:51   Link #10
kamatari honjo

these people i am suggesting too are anime watchers.

its hard to convert those who have no interest in anime to get into anime. eventhough i have seen a few people change there opinions. but its hard to get passed peoples bias like its for kids, its all like dbz, its all hentai/ecchi. but i guess if you feel them out, you can show something that is truly amazing.

if they think anime is for kids, i got some people in with perfect blue or hajime no ippo. i they think its all like dbz, show them boogiepop/ghibli films(a lot of success with whispers of the heart - hmmm, ghibli's best film.)

its all hentai/echhi...maybe they are right, its hard to find something funny without the random panty shot or bouncy breasted lady...they are everywhere. but mostly anything with a story will work.

movies are the best to get people to watch anime, but really tv shows are superior.
Old 2004-04-15, 10:18   Link #11
Black Jaggan
Killing Intent

Hehe my family is easy...got my sisses hooked on Naruto and FMA an my mom also likes Naruto....only thing she doesn't like is the time it takes to download...
Old 2004-04-15, 11:24   Link #12
Arwyn

Quote:
Originally Posted by kamatari honjo
i have a hard time getting my friends and aquaintances to watch some of the anime i suggest.

do you all have similiar problems, or even suggestions?
The problem is that a lot of folks that are "into" anime find a particular niche and stick with it.

We have a guy we know through one of the local shops who is strictly a hentai/tentacle otaku, so EVERYTHING he suggests gets put into the immediate "no way in hell am i watching that" catagory.

I got some friends of mine to try some anime by basically setting up a movie night and picking something to play, and told em they could show up or not, their choice.

I ran Ghost in the Shell the first time, and they all came away with a competely different view of anime. It just takes a little work.
Old 2004-04-15, 13:37   Link #13
monir
cho~ kakkoii

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thyrz
...And I beheld a great, and darth display from Teh Pervert Sennin, who only dreamt...
and wrote. Don't forget about the book called Come Come Paradise.
Old 2004-04-15, 13:57   Link #14
kj1980
Gomen asobase desuwa!

Question:

"Why do you want to 'convert' people who don't like/have misconceptions of anime to watch anime?" (replace the word 'anime' with 'religion' and you get an interesting question which i would like to stay out of)

I have a hard time understanding this mentality. From a Japanese point of view, it seems something along the lines of those religious missionaries blaring out words of some-religious-figurehead's-son menacingly in front of busy train stations in Shinjuku. If they don't want to know nor care, why not leave them alone? I'm sure you might feel the same way if they tried to pressure you into some hobby that you aren't interested in?

But of course, that's how I think - probably different from Westerner's view of socialization. Could anyone clarify?
Old 2004-04-15, 14:10   Link #15
momojigari
Great I-Jin

if u want ur friends to watch the anime that ur suggesting you could always show them how great the series is. I mean, you show them an episode to get them hooked for starters and then they'll go from there...sure worked on me.
Old 2004-04-15, 14:26   Link #16
cf18
Mecha Pilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by kj1980
Question:

"Why do you want to 'convert' people who don't like/have misconceptions of anime to watch anime?" (replace the word 'anime' with 'religion' and you get an interesting question which i would like to stay out of)
I think it is more along the line of sharing interest like bring your friend to your favourate restaurant, although some take it a bit far. Do Japan also have PS2 / GC / DC fanboys peaching against each other on various boards?

Now why are you staying up at 4am reading English anime board?
Old 2004-04-15, 14:52   Link #17
Mr_Paper
Hmm...

Quote:
Originally Posted by kj1980
Question:

I have a hard time understanding this mentality. From a Japanese point of view, it seems something along the lines of those religious missionaries blaring out words of some-religious-figurehead's-son menacingly in front of busy train stations in Shinjuku. If they don't want to know nor care, why not leave them alone? I'm sure you might feel the same way if they tried to pressure you into some hobby that you aren't interested in?

But of course, that's how I think - probably different from Westerner's view of socialization. Could anyone clarify?
The raving missionaries are trying to help, however misguided their motives and ideals may be. They are, in the end, trying to help you. Sadly the same cannot be said about fanboy conversions. Honestly, if a person expresses no interest in something you like you are not doing them any favors by trying to convince them otherwise. If a person expresses some interest, help them nurture it but don't try to force it on them too quickly. Or else you'll be no better than the ranting and raving missionaries standing on the street corner.

Off Topic: I would like to take this opportunity to declare Sugetsu the forum's very own Ranting and Raving Street Corner Missionary. I have yet to see anyone else start as many threads with a rant as to why they're beliefs are correct and everyone else's is wrong, then try to convert them to their way of thinking.
Closed Thread