AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series > Attack on Titan

Notices

Old 2011-03-17, 20:10   Link #1
Blue-kun
Che! Che! Che!

Shingeki no Kyojin (Attack on Titan) - Manga discussion

I was looking for a thread dedicated to this manga and didn't find one, so time to create one, clearly!

Shingeki no Kyojin (進撃の巨人)
Mangaka: Hajime Isayama

Quote:
Originally Posted by Story Synopsis
Several hundred years ago, humans were nearly exterminated by giants. Giants are typically several stories tall, seem to have no intelligence, devour human beings and, worst of all, seem to do it for the pleasure rather than as a food source. A small percentage of humanity survived by walling themselves in a city protected by extremely high walls, even taller than the biggest of giants.

Flash forward to the present and the city has not seen a giant in over 100 years. Teenage boy Elen and his foster sister Mikasa witness something horrific as the city walls are destroyed by a super giant that appears out of thin air. As the smaller giants flood the city, the two kids watch in horror as their mother is eaten alive. Elen vows that he will murder every single giant and take revenge for all of mankind.
Synopsis taken from Manga Updates.

A friend recommended this to me a few days ago and upon checking it had gotten 7th place in Manga Taisho, I finally decided to give it a go. Read the nine avaible scanlated chapters and I'm really liking it. It's a shounen action manga, but it sets itself apart because of its unique setting and the overall more explicit approach to violence. The action is also pretty good, it's got a nice flow to it, and the machines they use to combat the giants are actually quite neat. Well thought out, and explained in detail to the reader in order for them to figure out exactly what sort of stunts the characters can (and will) pull off.

The weakest point so far has been the art, it's got a somewhat rough style that fits the giants very well since they are supposed to be ugly creatures that just vaguely resemble humans, but when applied to the actual humans it doesn't work as well as one would expect. Still, it's a minor nitpick, because the story so far's proving to be interesting, and the main characters are quite well written. In particular Mikasa, who's the star of the show. There's a clear lack of badass women right now, in particular those who just never really take the time to be whiny and sulk over the terrible things that have happened to her. Always looking forward and fighting with her own hands in order to assure a future to those who are precious to her and herself.

The title seems to be getting quite popular, and the fact it managed to get 7th place on "Manga Taisho" and actually winning "Kono Manga ga Sugoi!" in 2011. Funnily enough, the mangaka first took this to JUMP in order to get serialized, but he was told that the manga wasn't in line with the stuff JUMP usually published and was told to changed it around. Since he didn't feel like it, he took it to Magazine and that's where it's been running ever since, Bessatsu Shounen Magazine. Tough luck for Jump, I suppose? Then again if it isn't what they're used to publishing there's no helping it, hah.

That said, anyone reading it? Did it pick your interest? If so, then check it out, by all means. If you're a fan of shounen action manga which don't focus on the whole "powerlevel" progression method, this should be right up your alley. It might be a bit gore-y at times, but it's definitly something that adds up to the experience.

Looking forward to reading some people's impressions in order for us to setup some discussions about it in the future!

Last edited by Blue-kun; 2011-03-17 at 21:33.
Blue-kun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-03-18, 06:52   Link #2
ZODDGUTS

Series is really great. Wonder how Mikasa sees Elen as, a brother or more?
ZODDGUTS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-03-18, 08:29   Link #3
Ravenblitz
|・ω・`)

Send a message via MSN to Ravenblitz
nothing' romantically implied yet

that rouge giant is intriguing
Old 2011-03-18, 10:16   Link #4
lordshadowisle

Read this earlier in the year, so I'm just writing what I recall from memory. The manga's pretty interesting, and I think the setting is the strength of this series; a number of details seem fairly well thought out. Another good thing is that somehow it manages to draw out some emotions; after a few chapters I felt ready to go out and kill some giants myself, the passively defending humans be damned.

As Blue-kun stated the weak point is the art. It's not terrible, but nothing remarkable. The art looks rough, but it could just be the intended style (?). I also get the feeling that the art doesn't fully illustrate or bring to life the ideas the author has, particularly for the action scenes.

Definitely going to keep an eye out for further chapters, hopefully the humans don't all get wiped out
lordshadowisle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-03-18, 12:10   Link #5
Blue-kun
Che! Che! Che!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZODDGUTS
Series is really great. Wonder how Mikasa sees Elen as, a brother or more?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravenblitz
nothing' romantically implied yet

that rouge giant is intriguing
Some considerations and random thoughts on those...

Spoiler for Stuff from up to chapter 9:
Old 2011-03-18, 14:16   Link #6
Johnny
Working the bags...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue-kun View Post
Spoiler for Stuff from up to chapter 9:
Spoiler for ch9:
Johnny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-03-18, 16:35   Link #7
Blue-kun
Che! Che! Che!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny View Post
Spoiler for chp9:
Spoiler for ch9, Elen's dad et all:
Old 2011-04-10, 15:53   Link #8
Johnny
Working the bags...

New chapter out...
Spoiler for ch 10:
Old 2011-04-12, 05:10   Link #9
Von Himmel
エーレンフェストの聖女

Had begun to read this from chapter...5 or 6 ? I almost threw up because of how hellish this manga is compared from what other manga that I've read recently, but then it starts to grow on me

Maybe I should just give this manga a try from chapter 1 and see what will become of this..

edit+
At last I've finished reading it...
By the way, do you think this titan behavior is rather..strange?
Spoiler:

It's in chapter 9, page 11....
We already know that those titan will not bother other lifeforms other than human...but then, the teacher in one of the chapter state that those titans don't attack human to feed themselves, but to slaughter them. Which brings me to a question, what kind of food that they actually eat for their nourishment? While looking at that picture where a titan eat the pillar...can we presume that wood (or whatever that pillar are made of) is their food?

Last edited by Von Himmel; 2011-04-12 at 06:50.
Von Himmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-12, 23:13   Link #10
Child_of_Sierra

Wow, glad I stumbled on this. Amazing series. My kind of manga
Old 2011-04-13, 15:43   Link #11
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

Nice hell.
Old 2011-04-22, 21:45   Link #12
frubam
simp for Lyria

Send a message via AIM to frubam
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny View Post
Spoiler for ch9:
Indeed. It was obviously him, but seeing him return to his normal self was pretty shocking, given how relentless people's deaths have been thus far. If he was swallowed whole, I'd have thought he'd come back, but after losing his arm and leg, I was 100% sure he was done for. I don't think him staying in giant mode would have completely killed the manga for me though, since I like Mikasa's personality and attitude very much to care about it . It would have been sad though, seeing the reason for her existence to not be there.
frubam is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-12, 23:42   Link #13
SoFarGone
H.A.M.

I wonder how this is going to work in the future? Is he going to get himself swallow so he can transform or something lol?
SoFarGone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-13, 09:19   Link #14
Key Board
Carbon

he can turn into a giant but only for 3 minutes

he can also shoot ray beams from his hands
"Legitimacy is based on three things. First of all, the people who are asked to obey authority have to feel like they have a voice—that if they speak up, they will be heard. Second, the law has to be predictable. There has to be a reasonable expectation that the rules tomorrow are going to be roughly the same as the rules today. And third, the authority has to be fair. It can’t treat one group differently from another.” Malcolm Gladwell
Key Board is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-15, 02:20   Link #15
SoFarGone
H.A.M.

I wonder how he lost control of the titan all of a sudden?
SoFarGone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-24, 07:50   Link #16
Khalil

New chapters are up on Batoto.
Khalil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-24, 12:22   Link #17
Gooral
Banned

They're not new but over 10 days old. I thought you meant 4th volume.
Gooral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-25, 02:39   Link #18
gameboy234

Nice to see this thread. Started reading and like it. Plot development is great. Definitely got alot of potential.

The only part i don't like is when the scene suddenly flashback or cut to other part.
gameboy234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-13, 18:15   Link #19
Johnny
Working the bags...

Nice release of chapters with ch 24 being the latest. Biggest new surprise might be...
Spoiler:
Old 2011-08-14, 01:41   Link #20
TrueKnight

Shingeki no Kyojin or Attack on Titans

Shingeki no Kyojin or Attack on Titans .......is a series about survival in a fantasy world infested with wicked and man-eating giants.

Quote:
Several hundred years ago, humans were nearly exterminated by giants. Giants are typically several stories tall, seem to have no intelligence, devour human beings and, worst of all, seem to do it for the pleasure rather than as a food source. A small percentage of humanity survived by walling themselves in a city protected by extremely high walls, even taller than the biggest of giants.

Flash forward to the present and the city has not seen a giant in over 100 years. Teenage boy Eren and his foster sister Mikasa witness something horrific as the city walls are destroyed by a super giant that appears out of thin air. As the smaller giants flood the city, the two kids watch in horror as their mother is eaten alive. Elen vows that he will murder every single giant and take revenge for all of mankind.

Nominated for the 4th Manga Taisho Awards (2011) and winner of the 35th annual Kodansha Manga award for Best Shounen.
To put it in summary,
-Interesting leads and characters (be it kids and adults, equally likeable), and the lead girl is just incredibly badass with leet fighting skills;
-Man-eating giants who took the pleasure of devouring people;
-Non-stop action packed;
-Fascinating fantasy world and environment;
-Story about absolute survival of humanity in a brinck their extinction;
- Story about what it means to be REAL soldiers defending humanity, yep the main characters are essentialy armymen.

The scanlations are out until chapter 24. I would’nt recommend mf since they’ve yet to provide the entire volumes.. you can simply scout the net for them.

Please give it a shot, it would blow your mind away.
TrueKnight is offline   Reply With Quote