AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Movies, OVAs/OADs, and Specials

Notices

Old 2006-03-10, 12:41   Link #1
Dragosmore
Translator

Send a message via AIM to Dragosmore
5 Centimeters per Second

http://www.the-triad.org/modules.php...rder=0&thold=0

Or if you cant go to the website for some reason:

"Lying right before us right now are our lives that are too great, and a boundless amount of time, both of which we don't have any idea what to do with."

Makoto Shinkai has recently informed us on his website (http://www2.odn.ne.jp/~ccs50140/short/index.html) of his new work in progress scheduled to be released this year, 2006. TRIAD INTENDS TO SUB THIS. A translation of the article can be found below:

Currently, we are in the middle of production of a new animation due to be released in this year of 2006 (Right now, we have yet to decide the name of this film.) The story will be made up of three completely independent short works (all of which will be 10-some od or some od-10s of minutes) all connected solely by the main character, who will be axle for all of this. When all of them are combined together, it will make a film that's more or less 60 minutes long.

The setting for this film will be the urban regions and cities of Japan. It will be a story of how the main characters live in such places and the transitions that happen within their hearts. Personally, I strongly believe that this will be a story that's needed not only for myself, but also my co-workers as well as all of the guests who have the desire to watch this and so I continue its production even now.

So that we can truly, fully express our meaning behind these stories, all of the staff will carefully work to draw out and put together their best artwork for this film. Please continue to be excited and wait for future follow-up reports to come.

Also please continue to stay tuned to our website, as we will also be translating the follow-up reports as they are released. Thanks and see you again soon!

Discuss! I'm totally psyched and excited. But, I don't think it'll be out in 2006. I expect as many delays as BtC had.
Dragosmore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-03-10, 13:06   Link #2
DaFool
Resident devil

If you want more details in english, go to this site:

http://daike.hp.infoseek.co.jp/

I therefore salivate.

I'm glad to see more of these independent creators gaining staff and being integrated into the anime industry, like that guy who did 'Rain, Little Girl and My Letter' mentioned by wao to be working on backgrounds for [was it Kiba or Ray (?)], as well as Romanov Higa (URDA) working on upcoming Tank Swat OVA.
DaFool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-03-11, 00:15   Link #3
Cloudkiller1
Spina~

Woot!! I've been waitng for this . It's cool to see that alot of these indivdual creators are actually gaining reputation amongst the public. Now.. what is the title of his new acclaimed movie?
Cloudkiller1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-03-11, 00:44   Link #4
Dragosmore
Translator

"Currently, we are in the middle of production of a new animation due to be released in this year of 2006 (Right now, we have yet to decide the name of this film.)"

They haven't decided yet
Old 2006-03-11, 01:09   Link #5
Cloudkiller1
Spina~

Heh, didn't see that *laughs nervously*.
Cloudkiller1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-03-11, 04:08   Link #6
Sorrow-K
Somehow I found out

Very exciting news considering Shinkai has yet to put a foot wrong. Thus, I think it's fair to have high expectations for this (...touch wood). Very much looking forward to it.
Sorrow-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-07-09, 21:45   Link #7
Sakuya
*Artist

The title has just been announced! Byousoku 5 Centimeter.

http://5cm.yahoo.co.jp

There's also a downloadable/streaming trailers on the site. The visuals are amazing by the way. Shinkai Makoto doing sakura scenery, a must-watch! The trailer says that movie(?) will be in 3 short stories.
Sakuya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-07-10, 12:30   Link #8
orion
Waiting for more taiyuki!

So, do you think that this couple will get their act together?
Old 2006-07-10, 12:34   Link #9
MrProphet
The Commissar Vanishes

Send a message via ICQ to MrProphet
Short stories are what he does best. I think Kumou no Mukou, Yakusoku no Bashou would have benefited if he never expanded it into a feature film. So I feel great that he is doing short stories again.

The music sounds like Tenmon once again, so lets hope it is him.

BTW, the title 「秒速5センチメートル」 means "Five centimetres per second". 8)
MrProphet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-07-10, 17:45   Link #10
physics223
In the Tatami Galaxy ↓

I liked Other Worlds a whole lot, and Hoshi no Koe was definitely good (not great, mind you), so I'm definitely waiting for another one of his short stories.
physics223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-07-11, 16:41   Link #11
arias

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrProphet
Short stories are what he does best. I think Kumou no Mukou, Yakusoku no Bashou would have benefited if he never expanded it into a feature film. So I feel great that he is doing short stories again.
I think you're right. Beyond the Clouds just felt bloated and over-cooked.

While Shinkai's efforts and talents (especially at background art) are rightly lauded, he doesn't seem to be always good at story-telling. He should try and synergize energies by bringing in people who can polish up his writing, but I know alot of artists are too self-centered to do that.. not that it's necessarily a bad thing.

Personally, Hoshi no Koe and The Promised Place had some of the most jaw-dropping background art I've EVER seen. I have incredible respect for the man.

EDIT: That trailer was so beautiful, I wanted to weep.
arias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-07-11, 21:58   Link #12
bluemist
i am the mist

This guy seems to like separation stories. His work always has this theme of a girl and a boy separated far away from each other.

It's a perfect setting to make one weep.
Old 2006-07-12, 08:20   Link #13
DaFool
Resident devil

Quote:
While Shinkai's efforts and talents (especially at background art) are rightly lauded, he doesn't seem to be always good at story-telling. He should try and synergize energies by bringing in people who can polish up his writing, but I know alot of artists are too self-centered to do that.. not that it's necessarily a bad thing.
Well to me it isn't the detail of the BG art, as Ghibli and even Gonzo (in Giniro) proved already...its the perfect staging of the reflections. If I would give an Academy Awards of Aftereffects for the Best Lens Flares, Shinkai would be the one and only winner. But what I find stronger as proven by his work in erogame openings is his ability to piece together sub-1-second memory-lapse-style flashes of accelerating imagery. His direction really pulls in your brain and tricks it to recall fond imagery as if they were entirely your own. He also happens to time his images to the music well (or is it the other way around of Tenmon timing his to Shinkai's?). So this music-video style of his is perfect for creating shorts...he starts with a promo trailer, then expands it (I don't think he starts with a full sequence, then cuts a trailer out of it...more like the other way around).

His strengths are backgrounds and direction.

Since music-video style is open-ended, these skills are best for shortform narratives. For longform, it may help him to hire writers like he hired character animators.
DaFool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-07-12, 09:53   Link #14
MrProphet
The Commissar Vanishes

Send a message via ICQ to MrProphet
Yup. DaFool is right on the money.

I consider Shinkai to be the nowaday contributor to the Luminist traditions of impressionist landscape painting. Whether the American school of mid-to-late XIX century, of the European neo-impressionists, Shinkai really delves into staging immaculately realistic lighting effects.

His combination of light and shadow, the effect of falling light and the use of soft lighting was really-really good, especially in Kumou no Mukou, Yakusoku no Bashou. It was simply amazing, and I must say that the promotional images from "5cm per second" only further his imaginative approach to stylizing his work.

I mean, just look here.

Look at the falling light and the blurred shadows and tell me whethere there is another animator who even attempts doing something like that?
MrProphet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-07-12, 14:18   Link #15
Dragosmore
Translator

http://www.the-triad.org/index.php?n...rticle&sid=340

As promised, here's the translation of Makoto Shinkai's
feelings towards this new work (5 Centimeters Per Second):

"5 Centimeters Per Second" is a story drawn about a boy who
acts as the axle of an animated chain of three separate,
independent short stories. The setting of the story
stretches from Japan of the early 1990's to Japan of today.
As the boy's life changes, so do the places in the animation
- ranging from Tokyo to other various places in the Kantou
region.

In this work, there are no sci-fi, fantasy or any other
fictional elements found commonly in many other animation
works. In exchange for all of that, we are trying to instead
display reality as it really is after having performed some
very thorough location hunting.

Our everyday lives are indeed mostly not filled with
dramatic ups and downs, shocking betrayals, or sudden
revelations. However, in the end, despite all that, the
world still continues to live on filled to the brim various
beauties and richnesses.

Right now, we're aiming to make such a work that will catch
those sides of reality mentioned above so that even after
you're done watching the movie, you'll be able to take a new
look at the landscapes you're so used to and see them
shining more than they ever have before.

The original article in Japanese can be found at: http://5cm.yahoo.co.jp/director/index.html
Old 2006-08-15, 12:05   Link #16
Lost

Quote:
I mean, just look here.

Look at the falling light and the blurred shadows and tell me whethere there is another animator who even attempts doing something like that?
Agreed, that scene, and the one with the scooter leaning on its side caught me. The detail and animation is immaculate, and so real world. I so want to catch this, and even better, Triad is subbing it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by arias
EDIT: That trailer was so beautiful, I wanted to weep.
Seconded, and reading DaFool's and Prophet's posts make me want to weep too. Cant wait.
Lost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-08-15, 12:20   Link #17
monir
cho~ kakkoii

Quote:
His combination of light and shadow, the effect of falling light and the use of soft lighting was really-really good, especially in Kumou no Mukou, Yakusoku no Bashou. It was simply amazing, and I must say that the promotional images from "5cm per second" only further his imaginative approach to stylizing his work.

I mean, just look here.

No one and no where!

I've bought Beyond the Cloud three times already and probably will buy a few more times in the future as generous gifts.
monir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-08-15, 12:48   Link #18
martino
makes no files now

I get tear eyed watching the trailer as well. I'm hoping to see this done in HD.
Old 2006-08-18, 02:01   Link #19
Sushi-Y
湯音カワユス~
*Scanlator

Quote:
Originally Posted by martino
I get tear eyed watching the trailer as well. I'm hoping to see this done in HD.
The trailer is already at 1280x720, and unlike normal animes with less detailed backgrounds, I don't see how backgrounds like these can look any better. ^^;

Look at the details on those books o_o:

By the way, the trailer is also up at Stage6:
http://stage6.divx.com/members/62389/videos/1367
(double click for full screen)

Beat that, Youtube.
Sushi-Y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-08-18, 02:28   Link #20
arias

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sushi-Y
Look at the details on those books o_o:

By the way, the trailer is also up at Stage6:
http://stage6.divx.com/members/62389/videos/1367
(double click for full screen)

Beat that, Youtube.
Are you linking to the old trailer? I'm on limited bandwidth so I don't like to get stuff I've gotten before.

The books are likely to be CG, polygonal based items.. but I could be wrong. Shinkai's works never disappoint for bg-art, though this one seems to be taking it one step higher.
arias is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
coming of age, drama, romance, shinkai