AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2013-01-26, 02:15   Link #2541
skullheart

About aoki, i guess it depends whether youre calling able to say whatever on his mind as being smart. He's not stupid but just acts stupid and doesn't have taichi's self sacrificing personality.

Last edited by relentlessflame; 2013-01-26 at 21:14. Reason: Removed hint about future content
skullheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-28, 14:58   Link #2542
kitten320

I say lots of dumb things yet I'm not an idiot, it is just a character trait. A protection mechanism to an extend as well.

Like with Inaba. She keeps cool and cold personality yet it does not mean that she is cold hearted and uncarrying. Same with Iori who keeps happy personality in return.

All of those things are deceiving mechanisms which in all honesty don't mean much, you need to look deeper than that and that's what this show does. Aoki is the only one left in the dark.
Old 2013-12-19, 00:59   Link #2543
Akito Kinomoto
Sekiroad-Idols Sing Twice

Send a message via AIM to Akito Kinomoto
I don't like this anime. At its best it barely avoids being bad. More thoughts below...
Spoiler for Length:
GANBARIMASU
Akito Kinomoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-12-19, 23:13   Link #2544
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akito Kinomoto View Post
Some of you might ask if that’s the entire point of Heartseed existing. That he’s supposed to troll the audience with his exposition. No, I –do- understand the point of Heartseed. I understand that he’s a sign of the writers not being confident in how well they can write a moelodramatic anime. I understand that he’s a sign of the writers thinking the audience needs everything spelled out for them. I understand that he’s a sign that they don’t know the difference between a well-written antagonist and an antagonist that’s hated for all of the wrong reasons.
I would argue that being a "good troll" doesn't work if you lack confidence, or don't understand either the audience or what you're doing. If I were the author, seeing your review, what you expected, what you got, and how you reacted... I honestly think my reaction would be: "victory!" The author knows full-well they're manipulating you in the most blatant way possible (it's the theme of the show!), you try to allow yourself to be manipulated naturally (because that's what humans do; they can't help it), realize it's obvious and blatant (which is by design!), but then still get mad at the author, as if they suck for not manipulating you properly. Who are the real puppets here? That's really the whole point of the show.

Clearly, I'm not saying you have to enjoy it. In fact, given your expectations/desires, your lack of enjoyment was to be expected. It's not unfair to suggest that others with similar expectations may find those expectations disappointed, which was still your overall point. But I do think it helps to take a step further back and analyse your own reaction to start to understand the deeper meaning behind the story. If it existed for no other reason than as a mirror for our own proclivity to be emotionally manipulated even by the most blatant and obvious of instruments, then the author communicated successfully... but just wasn't saying exactly what you thought they were trying to say.

(Even my own reaction was so predictable. We're all so simple... )
Old 2013-12-20, 14:29   Link #2545
Akito Kinomoto
Sekiroad-Idols Sing Twice

Send a message via AIM to Akito Kinomoto
The problem is, if this show was supposed to be some kind of jab at fans of Da Capo, Angel Beats!, ect., the storytelling is so blatant but the characters are so sincere it's like the show suffered an identity crisis. Maybe the characters can be more disrespectful next time a series like this comes up so it's clear it's making fun of us.

It's like two gears smoothly moving each other and drastically changing the tooth size of one gear without changing the tooth size of the other gear; it doesn't change the function, it just kinda makes it stop.
GANBARIMASU

Last edited by Akito Kinomoto; 2013-12-20 at 14:57.
Akito Kinomoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-12-20, 23:12   Link #2546
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akito Kinomoto View Post
The problem is, if this show was supposed to be some kind of jab at fans of Da Capo, Angel Beats!, ect., the storytelling is so blatant but the characters are so sincere it's like the show suffered an identity crisis. Maybe the characters can be more disrespectful next time a series like this comes up so it's clear it's making fun of us.
I wouldn't say that it's making fun of anyone, but I also think this terribly odd dichotomy is the point. Really "human" characters that make us feel for them, really "artificial" plot devices that manipulate us as blatantly as possible. We know exactly what's going on, but somehow we still feel for the people anyway, just like the character in the show can do nothing but be pushed around by the circumstances they face.

It's basically exposing our feeling for what they are in their most raw form: reactions to stimuli. It's twisted, but I also find it pretty fascinating, even as (especially as?) someone who loves the Da Capo/Angel Beats/etc. of the world.

Tags
body swapping, comedy, drama, romance, shounen, slice of life