AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Monster

Notices

Old 2004-04-19, 12:44   Link #181
JOJOS'STAR
*Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunter
You can read the manga or wait and suffer
Good things comes to those who wait ^ ^

Anyway everyone end up waiting after a wile same for the manga AND the anime.
Old 2004-04-20, 10:42   Link #182
Fighter Volk
Thanks sakurabatou @ LJ

I definitely won't read the manga since I prefer seeing stuff animated, even if I have to wait. And since the manga is finished anyway, and so far the same as the series, I don't see a reason to read it now that the anime is coming out... I also like the whole week-by-week experience, if you know what I mean.

Episode 3 will hopefully shed some light on who did all the killing. I'm pretty sure it's not drunk Tenma, but I feel it'll be blamed on him anyway...
Fighter Volk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-20, 11:19   Link #183
Vicious
merely a ghost

Send a message via ICQ to Vicious Send a message via MSN to Vicious
Quote:
Originally Posted by monir
hehe. I should have listened to Vicious and read the manga. After a pile of disappointing new serieses (excluding Midori no Hibi since a friend did a lot of work on it in the AE release ), this series seems to held the promise of the best series in this spring. Now that I can't find out what will happen next without reading the manga, I will just suffer quietly.
Indeed ^^
Just more 4 chapters to the end of the manga... can't wait

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOJOS'STAR
Good things comes to those who wait ^ ^

Anyway everyone end up waiting after a wile same for the manga AND the anime.
Better things come to those who read the manga
Really, the anime is wonderful. But, at least I, can't wait to see what happens. I began reading Monster last year, and today I consider it one of the best manga I've ever read. You all should read it
Vicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-20, 12:02   Link #184
kj1980
Gomen asobase desuwa!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fighter Volk
I definitely won't read the manga since I prefer seeing stuff animated, even if I have to wait. And since the manga is finished anyway, and so far the same as the series, I don't see a reason to read it now that the anime is coming out... I also like the whole week-by-week experience, if you know what I mean.

Episode 3 will hopefully shed some light on who did all the killing. I'm pretty sure it's not drunk Tenma, but I feel it'll be blamed on him anyway...
The biweekly-by-biweekly experience in reading the manga when it was serialized on Big Comic Original was the primary source two years ago.

Personally, I am upset at why they are animating a very popular manga that ended two years ago, when they should've done it when it was all the hype. But then again, Urasawa Naoki's works tend to be very research-extensive and horrendously filled with detail that it must've been next-to-impossible to do this alongside when the manga was being published.

Much like other Urasawa Naoki's works, the way the storyline is developed for "MONSTER" is similar to those of Charles Dickens' novels. You have tons of characters, many of those with stories that at first seems they have nothing to do with the plot. Then the story returns back to the point of view of Tenma and forget about those characters. Then those characters suddenly come out several chapters/episodes later, merging with the plotline. That was the issue most people had when they were reading "MONSTER" on a bi-weekly basis. Many people ended up buying the tankoubons as a reference guide for the serialized bi-weekly, so they can refer back to old chapters when a character that one forgot about suddenly appears into the plotline again.

I am certain this would occur for the anime version as well. Sure, the week-to-week basis will be interesting as it was for me in reading this serialized on a biweekly basis. But, I forewarn you, that this anime will be difficult to follow without prior knowledge of "who is who," "how who is related to who," and "what that episode/chapter referenced to."

My word of advice to those who wish not to read the manga and want to enjoy the "weekly suspense" of the anime:

1. Pay close attention to everything...even the slightest detail can pop up several episodes later. (i.e: a "Bad cop A" will pop up several episodes/chapters later as a suicidal drunkard which will lead further into a shocking mystery)
2. Keep your old episodes for reference
3. Make a relationship chart as new characters are introduced
kj1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-20, 12:33   Link #185
Gold_Rogers
Famous Dead Pirate

Here's another idea for following seemingly confusing long storylines:

Be patient, download chunks at a time, and watch it in large chunks.

In fact, why not save up Monster for some weekend anime marathons and such? Get a pizza and some coke, recline, and enjoy 3-4 hours of Monster in one sitting! Yay!

Don't complain to me when overload comes though. I do not take any responsibility for any physical/mental damage this may cause you. DO AT YOUR OWN RISK!

Gold_Rogers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-20, 15:25   Link #186
ClownShoes

Ending song

Does anyone know what the ending song is? Who made it etcetcetcetc
ClownShoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-20, 17:45   Link #187
kj1980
Gomen asobase desuwa!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClownShoes
Does anyone know what the ending song is? Who made it etcetcetcetc
"for the love of life" by legendary artist, David Sylvian - former member of JAPAN.

I guess the majority of Americans don't know who this legendary person is...try asking around some of the members from the UK.

But at least listen to the "Everything and Nothing" CD...it'll be worth it.
kj1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-21, 23:08   Link #188
JOJOS'STAR
*Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicious
Better things come to those who read the manga
Really, the anime is wonderful. But, at least I, can't wait to see what happens. I began reading Monster last year, and today I consider it one of the best manga I've ever read. You all should read it
I usualy start with the anime.. I'll give that anime several chance before I quit if I do, but I doubt I'll have to cause its looks realy intresting. All depend on how many episode we're alowed to see before it get liscence ^^
Old 2004-04-22, 07:23   Link #189
Fighter Volk
Thanks sakurabatou @ LJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gold_Rogers
Here's another idea for following seemingly confusing long storylines:

Be patient, download chunks at a time, and watch it in large chunks.

In fact, why not save up Monster for some weekend anime marathons and such? Get a pizza and some coke, recline, and enjoy 3-4 hours of Monster in one sitting! Yay!

Don't complain to me when overload comes though. I do not take any responsibility for any physical/mental damage this may cause you. DO AT YOUR OWN RISK!

I definitely would, but once I download an episode (and it's usually takes less time if I download it soon after it comes out) I can't hold back, and watch it as soon as I get a half hour of free time. But I can imagine, binging on Monster must have some pretty intense side effects

By the way, Gold Rogers, your avatar *always* cracks me up!
Fighter Volk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-22, 08:14   Link #190
lordlucless

Does anyone know if the David Sylvian song in the ED is the full track? I searched around online, and the only lyrics I could find are transcripts from the Monster ED.
lordlucless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-22, 10:25   Link #191
plui31

how many volumes of tankoubons does Monster have?
plui31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-22, 10:36   Link #192
mirichan

Quote:
Originally Posted by mantidor
I just saw episode two and im obsessed with it! Im thinking on reading the manga but that would spoil the anime, any suggestions??
I saw the first episode...

Then went "No way in hell am I waiting 18 months to know where this is going" so for the last 10 days or so, I've been going through the manga... and now awaiting the final 2 chapters...

And oh... what a ride. And I am still going to look forward to each episode of the anime but this time I won't die between episodes
mirichan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-22, 11:13   Link #193
dreamless
/Ultimate Magic Attack!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by plui31
how many volumes of tankoubons does Monster have?
18 volumes in total.
dreamless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-22, 16:23   Link #194
the_marshal

I have seen eps 1 and it seem realy interesting ! I haven't read the manga but have heard about it quite a few times. The 13 first volumes are out in french so maybe I will buy it in the future... for now I have already many manga to buy/read so that I might stick with the anime...

For the fansub I did see the anime-kraze version, didn't notice anything special seems good to me

btw a comparation about monster fansub if this hasn't been posted yet...

http://www.anime-planet.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=10581

Actually finished download of eps 2 (soldat) few minutes ago... I am off watching it
the_marshal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-22, 20:55   Link #195
CompShrink
getting in comps' heads

Send a message via AIM to CompShrink
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_marshal
I have seen eps 1 and it seem realy interesting ! I haven't read the manga but have heard about it quite a few times. The 13 first volumes are out in french so maybe I will buy it in the future... for now I have already many manga to buy/read so that I might stick with the anime...
So I take it you speak french? If you'd prefer to see Monster in French, we Totan released French version as well as English. Just click on the link for the english torrent, the French is right next to it.

PS: Spanish episodes also released.
CompShrink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-23, 02:38   Link #196
dreamless
/Ultimate Magic Attack!!!

episode 3 rocks! however I didn't expect that
Spoiler:
dreamless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-23, 06:06   Link #197
JBr
ToTan slave :)

Just for comparison (and to show how precise the work of anime authors is), I took a picture of one place shown in the Monster's opening sequence... (click for larger image)

There are many people who haven't read the manga, so if you're wondering which place is it...

Spoiler:
JBr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-23, 12:37   Link #198
Yebyosh
冤枉的小狗

They really took a lot of effort for authencity, don't they? Love their dedication.

Lunge looks very creepy. His first appearance in this anime gives me the creeps...
Yebyosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-23, 12:48   Link #199
musouka

Quote:
Lunge looks very creepy. His first appearance in this anime gives me the creeps...
See? What did I say? Mr. Computer is creepy.

As for his voice, it was deeper than I expected. I expected it to be deep, but not quite that deep. He's the one character so far that really sounds different from what I imagined when I read the manga. But, upon reflection, I think I'll grow to like it.
ずっと変りはしない
musouka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-23, 13:21   Link #200
mirichan

Quote:
Just for comparison (and to show how precise the work of anime authors is), I took a picture of one place shown in the Monster's opening sequence... (click for larger image)
My god... this is amazing. With that level of fidelity.... we'll be visiting some countries without leaving ours
mirichan is offline   Reply With Quote