AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Haruhi Suzumiya

Notices

View Poll Results: Suzumiya Haruhi (2009) - Episode 05 Rating
Perfect 10 54 13.99%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 20 5.18%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 23 5.96%
7 out of 10 : Good 25 6.48%
6 out of 10 : Average 27 6.99%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 16 4.15%
4 out of 10 : Poor 10 2.59%
3 out of 10 : Bad 8 2.07%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 7 1.81%
1 out of 10 : Painful 196 50.78%
Voters: 386. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2009-07-09, 14:59   Link #241
Nudvik

You know what pisses me off the most? That it's such a fantastic adaptation when they actually want it to be.
We could've been treated to a wonderful new season of Haruhi, filled with brilliant and entertaining episodes. When they decided to fuck around at the end of the second episode, they harmed that. At this point, it's completely and utterly ruined.

Last edited by relentlessflame; 2009-07-09 at 15:00. Reason: That's no different than an image retort, and those aren't allowed
Old 2009-07-09, 15:01   Link #242
Roger Rambo
Sensei, aishite imasu

That doesn't really make sense. I mean, making 5 episodes for an animated TV show isn't cheap. You're only gonna do it if you think it's gonna make you money. Since Kyo Ani doesn't get much (if any) money for simply airing the episode (since they have to buy airtime) their sole source of profit coming directly from the episode is DVD sales.

Why would Kyoani produce five episodes that didn't give them any money?
Old 2009-07-09, 15:03   Link #243
CrowKenobi
One PUNCH!
*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ithekro View Post
Wow...one wonders how people will take "Koi no Mikuru Densetsu" this time around.
Good point. If people are crabbing about the repetition, then they'll crab about the poor animation of the episode...
Old 2009-07-09, 15:03   Link #244
Tyabann
Homo Ludens

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonli View Post
Is it possible for them to have lied? Along with the broadcast station?

Or is it against the law for the TV broadcast schedule to be fake?

Genuine question, not sarcasm @_@
I'm pretty sure printing false information is illegal, yeah, unless you print some kind of retraction.

We never got official confirmation, though, so it could be as long as they want it to be.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nudvik View Post
You know what pisses me off the most? That it's such a fantastic adaptation when they actually want it to be.
We could've been treated to a wonderful new season of Haruhi, filled with brilliant and entertaining episodes. When they decided to fuck around at the end of the second episode, they harmed that. At this point, it's completely and utterly ruined.
RUINED FOREVER

Seriously though, it really could have been great if they weren't doing this. But they are.

It's gloriously amusing now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Rambo View Post
And that is the question that will bother the fandom for all eternity.
Old 2009-07-09, 15:05   Link #245
Nudvik

Quote:
Originally Posted by relentlessflame View Post
Apparently it was foolish to expect more than the whiny ragefest that is this thread. If all you're going to do is simply pile into the whaaambulance, spare us all another refresh.
Btw, are you claiming that rage is unjustified at this? That we should just lap up all the bullshit thrown our way? Accept that we're not going to see stories adapted simply because they wanted to play silly buggers?

I'd honestly love to hear your reasoning as to why.
Old 2009-07-09, 15:05   Link #246
Dakota
disregard that (″°-°)ﺩ-

Send a message via AIM to Dakota Send a message via MSN to Dakota
only possible responce

Quote:
Is it possible for them to have lied? Along with the broadcast station?

Or is it against the law for the TV broadcast schedule to be fake?

Genuine question, not sarcasm @_@
Hey, ma if you could see me now
arms spread wide on the starboard bow
gonna fly this boat to the moon somehow
like Kevin Garnett, anything is possible

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaisos Erranon View Post
I'm pretty sure printing false information is illegal, yeah, unless you print some kind of retraction.

See: Freedom of The Press
Old 2009-07-09, 15:05   Link #247
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Quote:
That doesn't really make sense. I mean, making 5 episodes for an animated TV show isn't cheap. You're only gonna do it if you think it's gonna make you money. Since Kyo Ani doesn't get much (if any) money for simply airing the episode (since they have to buy airtime) their sole source of profit coming directly from the episode is DVD sales.

Because Kadokawa and the Production Committee are the ones funding the anime, not Kyoto Animation specifically. The Production Committee pays for the airtime, pays Kyoto Animation to do the animation work, and handles all the merchandising. Kyoto Animation may get a portion of the proceeds of each sale, but they get paid something for their work regardless. So it's the producer/publisher that absorbs more of the risk, and so if they tell Kyoto Animation "we want to order <x> episodes of Endless Eight", the studio basically says "okay, whatever you say, boss..." (Perhaps not in those exact words. )

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nudvik View Post
Btw, are you claiming that rage is unjustified at this? That we should just lap up all the bullshit thrown our way? Accept that we're not going to see stories adapted simply because they wanted to play silly buggers?

I'd honestly love to hear your reasoning as to why.
I don't mind that people express their discontentment, obviously. What annoys me is that certain posters feel they must reply to every single post and express the same rage endlessly over and over and over again. Maybe there's a certain irony in this given the content of these episodes, but it's no less annoying here than it ostensibly is in the show. All the surface-level rage stuff does is just encourage more of the same endless whining, particularly when it's the same people who tell us over and over again that they're through with the show in so many different ways. At least if people could come up with something new to say...
Old 2009-07-09, 15:06   Link #248
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

One wonders when they animated all these episodes. If they've been doing these since 2006, just having different groups do them on their down time between Kanon, Lucky Star, Clannad, Munto, and K-On. Sort of the "keep the artists in practise for Haruhi" episode. While they'd still have to pay for the screen time, they might have gotten the work "cheap" due to it being made over a considerable period of time.

Not that is makes a whole lot of sense, but it would explain a few things about why there are so many versions of this episode and why it is animated differently.
Old 2009-07-09, 15:08   Link #249
CrowKenobi
One PUNCH!
*Administrator

And explains why they reused the clouds from "Clannad After Story..."

EDIT: That would episode 12 of After Story...

Last edited by CrowKenobi; 2009-07-09 at 15:19.
Old 2009-07-09, 15:08   Link #250
wittyusername
GRADE 8 NIGHTMARE VORTEX

Quote:
Maybe they're trying for another plot-related symbolism(ish) thing? They already did the "three years ago" thing, and now they might be trying to produce something with the same effect.

The three years gave everyone time to speculate and make fan-made things, though. That was okay. This is just getting on my nerves.

EDIT: 'Kay, nevermind, I'm wrong. Whatever.
Old 2009-07-09, 15:09   Link #251
Tyabann
Homo Ludens

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ithekro View Post
Not that is makes a whole lot of sense, but it would explain a few things about why there are so many versions of this episode and why is animated differently.
Hmm, I wonder. Seems like an interesting theory, but, still, WHY?
Old 2009-07-09, 15:10   Link #252
Roger Rambo
Sensei, aishite imasu

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrowKenobi View Post
Why? Except for the same story, all the animation is different for each episode...

<shrugs shoulders>
Because it's nearly two hours of the same plot line played out exaclty the same way over and over again. Although the animation is all different, it really varies in quality. Episode 3 was great, but allot of the other episodes were kinda mediocre compared to it.

The endless 8 episodes are likely to end up like the meat from some bizarre and strange animal that nobody would ever want to eat. Blended together with more edible looking meat and smashed into hamburgers.
Quote:
Originally Posted by relentlessflame View Post
Because Kadokawa and the Production Committee are the ones funding the anime, not Kyoto Animation specifically. The Production Committee pays for the airtime, pays Kyoto Animation to do the animation work, and handles all the merchandising. Kyoto Animation may get a portion of the proceeds of each sale, but they get paid something for their work regardless. So it's the producer/publisher that absorbs more of the risk, and so if they tell Kyoto Animation "we want to order <x> episodes of Endless Eight", the studio basically says "okay, whatever you say, boss..." (Perhaps not in those exact words. )
Alright. But the point still stands that regardless of who's the one who orders the X quantity of Endless 8, Someone has to invest money into all these endlesss 8 episodes. And it seems to me that they're washing it down the drain.
Old 2009-07-09, 15:11   Link #253
Heminga13
Wannabe Sleuth

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrowKenobi View Post
And explains why they reused the clouds from "Clannad After Story..."
Hmm, I've never watched Clannad, but the focus on clouds (and planes) in this one seemed interesting. Not sure why they did.
Old 2009-07-09, 15:11   Link #254
jonli
JONLIの憂'

Well if it was never confirmed officially, then it's just a lie.

And E8 being 6 episodes is nothing to be afraid of.
Old 2009-07-09, 15:14   Link #255
Takamura Mamoru
The Hawk

It doesn't make sense in terms of marketing, it doesn't make sense in terms of writing, it doesn't make sense in terms of creating hype.

They lose money, they make themselves hated and there's no reason to do it.
They even spend money on animating every episode new.

It makes no sense at all. The only conclusion you can draw is that they're doing it purely to be jerkasses and laugh their asses off.

Which makes me really confused because they did the first Season with so much love. Honestly, I've rarely ever watched an adaption that was so detailed and well-made, I mean really really well-made from a technical and narrative point of view. That's another thing I don't get.

Why make the first Season with so much love only to give us the finger after that?

Something has gone utterly wrong here. I realize it isn't KyoAni's fault really, I just wonder what exactly happened.

As said again and again, it did have potential. A lot. Season 2 was not so anticipated just because "we want more". It was because many people read the novels and realized how damn awesome the plot of Disappearance is.
So yeah, it's kinda like if Hollywood adapts a good thing and turns it into crap.
Old 2009-07-09, 15:14   Link #256
Roger Rambo
Sensei, aishite imasu

Quote:
Well if it was never confirmed officially, then it's just a lie.

And E8 being 6 episodes is nothing to be afraid of.
At this point it wouldn't surprise me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Takamura Mamoru View Post
*snip*
I'm not really butt hurt about this whole course of action, but it certainly leaves me perplexed.

It's like all the corporate management have been turned into stock Saturday morning cartoon villains who invest billions in R&D to build an army of giant robots so they can hold the world ransom for millions.
Old 2009-07-09, 15:15   Link #257
aulzon

Quote:
It makes no sense at all. The only conclusion you can draw is that they're doing it purely to be jerkasses and laugh their asses off.
It could be a lot like "Smells Like Teen Spirit" syndrome.
Old 2009-07-09, 15:19   Link #258
jonli
JONLIの憂'

I have come to the conclusion that I have faith in this adaptation.

AND SO SHOULD YOU ALL.

Let's pray hard and strong that disappearance would be done justice.

Kyoto Animation has yet to fail me! HAS IT FAIL ANYONE!?! (I haven't seen Key adaptations, but everything I've seen from them so far are awesome).
Old 2009-07-09, 15:19   Link #259
Solachinx
is a myth

Let's see: if there are 6 episodes of E8, that would make 7 episodes of the second cour. That leaves about 7 episodes for the rest. So, if they're doing what I think they're doing and saving Disappearance for next season, Sigh will be REALLY stretched unless they do more anime originals or Haruhi Theatre.
Old 2009-07-09, 15:19   Link #260
Tyabann
Homo Ludens

Quote:
Originally Posted by Takamura Mamoru View Post
Two possibilities exist: Either they'll end this season unceremoniously and that'll be the only conclusion we can come to, or they'll do something incredible that explains everything and we'll be all "...oh".

I'd like to hope for the latter.
Closed Thread