AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

Old 2008-10-01, 09:02   Link #1
Eczema
Ah! Pretty Shining Love!

Red face Your Job/Occupation?

I'm a university student at the moment. My grades are so-so/average, and I have no industry experience in my chosen field. I graduate next year so I'm feeling a bit anxious going into the big bad world. My degree and university are respectable, but I'm still a bit worried about my future. I guess even if I can't find a job, my parents will support me until I do, but of course I'd rather not leech like that. I'm currently looking for casual/part-time/vacation work in anything even remotely related to my industry.

So AS, how are your studies/careers going? Looking for a change? Completely satisfied? Don't know, don't care?
Eczema is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-01, 10:09   Link #2
Sephi
Thinking outside the box
*Graphic Designer

Also a University student. Grades are also just so-so. And graduating in one and a half year if everything goes as planned. Not much experience in the chosen field. I do work a bit as a freelancer, which is related to what i'm studying. But it's nothing really serious.

I have two part-time jobs.

System administrator. Is where i'm typing from now. I do this for about 16 hours a week. Job is quite boring and require a lot of searching to solve problems. There seems to be some shit hitting the fan every week that keeps me busy for a few hours. While i slack off the rest of the hours when all the weekly tasks has been done. This job is boring and a pain. If something isn't working i get the blame and sometimes they call me outside working hours when a server is down or something like that.

Today I have to deal with someone asking me what her password for her mail account was, a mail account shes been using for over 5 years... i've only been working their Honestly... people are responsible for their own passwords. I only deal them out and they can change them themselves after... It's not my job to remember people passwords... Though i could reset it if it's really necessary..
Overall, the pay is quite good. But that is about it i guess. "money: A necessary evil"

And i also work as courier where i deliver spareribs two evenings in the week. It's quite fun granted my boss isn't there. When he is, we have to work like dogs Other than that. It's driving around a bit and delivering the food. If there is no order to deliver we have to do the dishes. Overall the pay isn't really good. though if people tip a lot it's still quite good. It's a job without stress. It's just go there and do the things and go away again and nothing to worry about.

As for whether i'm satisfied... I guess i would say so-so... I do remember being bored and poor 3 month ago when i was only studying... Now i got money, but hardly have time to spend it.

Currently watching: Aria the Origination & Dennou Coil
Sephi: Anime Icons | Signatures & Avatars | Renders
Sephi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-01, 10:22   Link #3
Ichihara Asako
Horoist

I'm retired. I had a pretty good run though, if I do say so myself. Managed to do a lot of interesting things in my youth, then settle in to a nice high paying job that allowed me to buy several houses and retire early. Nothing more I could ask for, really. It's still possible to do for anybody, though I do admit I had it easier than most would as I live very cheaply and was able to save the vast majority of my income which made real estate a valid option at a young age. Something I recommend to anybody, too.
Ichihara Asako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-01, 10:51   Link #4
TinyRedLeaf
Moving in circles

I think this thread belongs here: So what career are you aiming for?

The most obvious answer: Work in a job you'd enjoy. But then again, finding such a job isn't always so obvious.
TinyRedLeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-01, 18:48   Link #5
Eczema
Ah! Pretty Shining Love!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinyRedLeaf View Post
I think this thread belongs here: So what career are you aiming for?

The most obvious answer: Work in a job you'd enjoy. But then again, finding such a job isn't always so obvious.
Doh. I searched the forum for job, work, and occupation, but not career.
Old 2008-10-01, 21:51   Link #6
GuidoHunter_Toki
Wiggle Your Big Toe

Well I'm in my Senior year of High School and I have many College possibilities, but it seems my dream of attending MIAD is within reach. It does take quite a surplus of cash to pay for that place. As for job wise I'm currently working at a bike shop my cousin owns anmd I've been working there for about 3 years now.
GuidoHunter_Toki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-01, 22:02   Link #7
Phantom-Takaya
INTJ
*IT Support

Send a message via AIM to Phantom-Takaya Send a message via MSN to Phantom-Takaya Send a message via Yahoo to Phantom-Takaya
Yeah... This would go into the career thread, but I'll answer anyways.

I am both a college student and business owner.

I'm going to college to get a degree in "Science of Engineering" which covers Computer Systems, Electrical and Mechanical Engineering. You could say I like making automated stuff and hopefully I'll make a robot or android in the future.

I also own a business in the information technology field. I won't get into details with what my business does due to the fact that our niche isn't very common in my state, but I will say that we do do the typical computer/network/printer repairing, building and upgrading. We also sell software and accessories at our clients' request. We also offer other kinds of services, but like I said, I won't get into details. We mostly serve businesses, but there are some clients who are private consumers as well. We're also considering adding a new department that offers web designing and management.

I currently have two other businesses on the works; One is that I'm discussing and creating the binding contracts with my friends to start an automotive performance shop. The other is an internet cafe.
Phantom-Takaya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-01, 23:39   Link #8
Furuno
Fuwaaa~~~
*IT Support

Send a message via Yahoo to Furuno
I'm just yet another college student in software engineering. Grades are... Also have several side jobs to keep the number on my wallet more than zero.

My main side job is as an IT freelancer. I'd go anywhere on the town doing anything computer related from solving ridiculous problem to creating customized software solutions. The funniest jobs ever is when I've called to neighboring town to repair a computer. Here's the summary :
Spoiler for stupid things:
Also I'm building and selling computer and the parts... Sometime get a job from my college as an IT instructor for the Department of Defence.

Check my Blog / Thread / Twitter for some random stuffs...
Furuno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-02, 01:31   Link #9
Strahan

IT geek. Systems administrator for the Baltimore mayor's office.
Strahan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-02, 01:39   Link #10
Ermes Marana

I'm a University student majoring in University Student Studies.

Basically, what that means is that I spend all my time observing myself and analyzing my seemingly random actions. Trying to find a pattern.

Luckily I have a grant from the government to fund my studies, because if I got a job I would no longer be in the group I am studying.
Ermes Marana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-02, 01:39   Link #11
Aoie_Emesai
♪♫ Maya Iincho ♩♬
*Artist

Send a message via Yahoo to Aoie_Emesai
Also a student

Major - Industrial Engineering.
Grades, probably better than yours ^^
Part time Job - Dead end job atm >.<
hobby - sleeping, reading, politics, photoshop, drawing, more sleeping ^^

How to Give / Receive Criticism on your work / Like to draw? Come join Artists Alike
Visit my Deviantart Or Blog ~A Child should always surpass his/her parent, Remember.
Aoie_Emesai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-02, 02:02   Link #12
sang26

hi

i'm a nusre here in philippines..
and i'm planning to go to other countries to work..
sang26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-02, 02:05   Link #13
Eczema
Ah! Pretty Shining Love!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ermes Marana View Post
I'm a University student majoring in University Student Studies.

Basically, what that means is that I spend all my time observing myself and analyzing my seemingly random actions. Trying to find a pattern.

Luckily I have a grant from the government to fund my studies, because if I got a job I would no longer be in the group I am studying.
Serious? That sounds too good to be true lol. What kind of career would this lead into?
Old 2008-10-02, 02:30   Link #14
Honda Boy Techy
I has a Civic

Full time Student at a local Community College. Current Declared Major: Computer Science (Mistake, meant to be Computer Information Systems). I plan on switching Majors to CIS and obtaining an Associate's of Applied Science in CIS. Then I plan on changing majors again to pursue a Bachelor's Degree in..... well whatever the hell is easy enough for me to get a Bachelor's in. I don't even care, I just want a dang bachelor's degree. The Associate's is for what I want, the Bachelor's is for expanded job opportunities. So far though, it's looking like Sociology, possibly Psychology. BUT I'm having quite a bit of fun in my Graphic Arts class (despite the total lack of artistic skill but hey, it involves a computer so I'm good), so you never know what I may end up doing.

I am a part time employee though at a local BBQ Restaurant. Been tryin for 3 years to get another (better paying) job but I have failed miserably. The town I live sucks for finding a job.
Honda Boy Techy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-02, 04:36   Link #15
Shinbou
Ka-na-me...^^

Send a message via MSN to Shinbou
Student administration planning to help people administrate there finance who have a own shop...Kinda scared of the future how it will be to graduate, and what kinda job fits me. Sad cause i couldnt make my dream to be an animal vet in a animal wildlife center...My grades are, fine.

Part time job i'm cleaning at a school 2 days in the week, 2 hours a day (cause of the long school days), earns pretty good...

Intrests: Gaming, anime, manga, boyfriend, wolves (i collect stuff of them)
Shinbou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-02, 04:44   Link #16
Phantom-Takaya
INTJ
*IT Support

Send a message via AIM to Phantom-Takaya Send a message via MSN to Phantom-Takaya Send a message via Yahoo to Phantom-Takaya
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinbou View Post
Student administration planning to help people administrate there finance who have a own shop...Kinda scared of the future how it will be to graduate, and what kinda job fits me. Sad cause i couldnt make my dream to be an animal vet in a animal wildlife center...My grades are, fine.

Part time job i'm cleaning at a school 2 days in the week, 2 hours a day (cause of the long school days), earns pretty good...

Intrests: Gaming, anime, manga, boyfriend, wolves (i collect stuff of them)
Couldn't make your dream to be an animal vet at a wildlife center? Why not?
Phantom-Takaya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-02, 04:58   Link #17
Eczema
Ah! Pretty Shining Love!

Indeed. 17 is no age to declare any dream over. Unless the dream is to be a child prodigy.
Old 2008-10-02, 18:53   Link #18
xia

I work overnight stocking a store.
Pay is actually not really that bad. so its enough to sustain my hobby.

Thanks vandakiara for the sig!
Currently watching
On deck for 08/09: Claymore, Monster, Paradise Kiss,
xia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-02, 20:22   Link #19
WanderingKnight
Gregory House
*IT Support

Send a message via MSN to WanderingKnight
My growing interest in Linux and general computing (actually, I've always had an interest in PCs, it's only after I discovered Linux that I actually got to learn a lot about them) has recently made me ditch my English translation studies and also landed me a job in a small software development company--it's so small that the area I'm working in has only three people (a main developer, a main support guy, and me, who comes and goes between support and development). I've only been a month and a half on the job and I've already been praised by both my coworkers, so I'm more than happy to have had the opportunity of getting to this job. I owe the Free Software community a lot for this and I'm truly, truly grateful.

And of course, this made me reconsider my career choice and finally go for Computer Science starting next year.

Place them in a box until a quieter time | Lights down, you up and die.
WanderingKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-02, 20:24   Link #20
zSolaris
Don't forget your lunch!

Send a message via MSN to zSolaris
Well, while I'm typing this I should be working on college essays and my Extended Essay for IB (but being a good IB Student, I'm slacking off).

As of right now, I'm just a high school student without a part time job (I miss having that extra money ;- because my parents want me to focus fully on this year. My Grades are okay...enough to get me into a decent Engineering school (going with Undeclared Major, probably will switch to Mechanical). Still dreaming to be accepted to those really big name schools. >.<
zSolaris is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
college, job, work