Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2003-11-07, 19:56   Link #21
PocariSweat
ポカリが?どんな動物ですか?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doddler
Furigana has alot more use than telling you the proper reading of a kanji. There's quite a few things furigana are good for.
Well I'll admit there's no law saying furigana can only be used in traditional ways, and artists are free to improvise, but that still doesn't make much sense here. After all, it's not part of Stellvia's title as it's written now, and it doesn't really add much (besides confusion )

If I had to guess, I'd say it's more likely something like an early alternate title idea someone scrawled above "宇宙" which later was mistaken for furigana.
PocariSweat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-11-07, 22:00   Link #22
Jasconius
HnK Translator

Send a message via ICQ to Jasconius
Quote:
Originally Posted by PocariSweat
Well I'll admit there's no law saying furigana can only be used in traditional ways, and artists are free to improvise, but that still doesn't make much sense here. After all, it's not part of Stellvia's title as it's written now, and it doesn't really add much (besides confusion :) )

If I had to guess, I'd say it's more likely something like an early alternate title idea someone scrawled above "宇宙" which later was mistaken for furigana.
That -was not- it. This was on the official site, either in the original logo or in the text on the site, I forget which. They were not "mistaken" for furigana, and if you do a google search in Japanese you can still find some sites which have (そら) after the title to indicate the furigana. The creators obviously decided to drop the idea, but the thing is that it probably appeared in a Newtype article that way, and so when the article was translated into English, that's how it was written. Sure, it only adds confusion, but it's a fact that it happened, and it's not going to just go away since it was in a prominent English publication.

Now that you know why it came about, you don't have to be confused and can use the real title. :P
Jasconius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-11-08, 00:35   Link #23
PocariSweat
ポカリが?どんな動物ですか?

Just because it was on the official sites doesn't mean it couldn't have been a mistake. Mistakes *do* happen even on "official" sites. People being people are not perfect! Maybe it's just something that happened to escape the art department - who can tell? You couldn't really know for sure unless you asked those behind it, but it's gone now and maybe shouldn't have been there to begin with.

It's not surprising that other publications would copy it (mistake or not) since they'd have no way of knowing that. So at least, I'll agree Newtype can't be blamed for using it.
PocariSweat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-12-17, 19:01   Link #24
WindStriker
Cool Whip

Stellvia 2

I was reading a previous thread that there is going to be a second series of stellvia. If this is true i have a few questions(i want opinions). Who will it star Katase Shima or pehaps Mia Glennorth from the end of episode 26? If it does star Katease will she still be bitchy. What will the disaster be? AND Will it explain who the aliens are? AND other questions what do yall think?
WindStriker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-12-17, 19:08   Link #25
DrWho2002
Fushigi Mystery!! @_@

There will be no second Stellvia series as far as anyone knows.
DrWho2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-12-17, 19:20   Link #26
WindStriker
Cool Whip

Quote:
Originally Posted by wao
Here's some things I found out from the thing not mentioned so far...

Sometime after the Summer of 2004 perhaps - Uchuu no Stellvia SEQUEL... no site as of yet though... That site given said
2004夏以降 宇宙のステルヴィア 続編 監督 : 佐藤竜雄
As far as I know that means after 2004 Summer, Uchuu no Stellvia Zokuhen (Sequel)... The director is Satou... Tatsuo? I think.
thats from the thread "Winter/Spring series list of new anime?"

Just a note even if there isnt going to be a second series. Please give opinions.
WindStriker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-12-23, 12:14   Link #27
Grenadier
Timer/Typesetter

Send a message via ICQ to Grenadier Send a message via AIM to Grenadier Send a message via MSN to Grenadier Send a message via Yahoo to Grenadier
Question Weird thing about Stellvia...

This could just be a coincidence, but has anyone else noticed that boys seem to love Uchuu no Stellvia and girls seem to have problems with it? I'm not being sexist, but I've noticed that male otaku all love it and female otaku all seem to have a problem with either the character designs or the characters themselves. It may be that they're designed to be "cute" to appeal to male viewers, but if that's the case, why would they be a turn-off to the fair sex?
Grenadier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-12-23, 12:24   Link #28
Shift_

I've never noticed that...I know guys and girls who enjoy.
Shift_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-12-23, 12:56   Link #29
Zoya
Dazed and Confused

For the most part I really enjoyed Stellvia. I *did* get annoyed with Shipon always crying during the last half of the series, but I don't think that had anything to do with me being a female. Most people seemed to have the same general sentiment when the long Stellvia thread was running. Maybe the females who don't like the series get annoyed with seeing such a prominent female character act like a complete wimp.
Zoya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-12-23, 14:45   Link #30
abubo

Hmm... okay... I don't know any girls who hates Stellvia, BUT, all of you should now, that Stellvia is a SHONEN series. The manga is serialized in Comiku Dengeki Daioh, and that's a shonen manga mag.

Stellvia is part of the new wave of shonen series which uses girls as main characters, just like Azumanga Daioh and Gunslinger Girls. Plus, there a little fan service here and there... usually involving closeups of Arisa and Yayoi.

Thus it's okay if guys like Stellvia and girls don't. But, all new series in Japan tried to cater to both, so I suspect that overall both sexes should enjoy Stellvia equally.
abubo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-12-23, 21:29   Link #31
kamij0

If its the girls who are rather the leads in the show, then the girls should like it more..
maybe girls dun like girls saving the earth and the universe they prefer hunks to do that
kamij0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-12-23, 22:45   Link #32
Fronzel
Schmuck

Stop talking.
Fronzel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-12-23, 23:28   Link #33
blkraven

LOL, why is there a discussion like this? I like stellvia and im a guy so what. why should that matter at all? Some of my female friends like Stellvia also, why should it matter?

I like Full Moon also, even though it is technically a girls anime (considered that). All that matters to any given person is wiether they like the given anime or not why should it matter if they are generally male or female?

anyway in my eyes this whole arguement is rather ridiculous.

~Raven

PS. sorry for the spelling errors. also im looking for some people who wouldnt mind some sensible chating about anime on AIM please Contact me "blkraven123" is my AIM addy.
blkraven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-12-23, 23:50   Link #34
hunterx
ore wa kanpeki da

I'm a boy and I hated it
hunterx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-12-24, 00:36   Link #35
sothis

<-- girl, loved it.
sothis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-12-24, 01:46   Link #36
::faze
<3 Scrapped Princess

I always thought Stellvia was more of a girls anime, I know a lot of girls who like it, and all the guys I know, including me, hated it.
::faze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-12-25, 01:26   Link #37
JediNight
キズランダム

I loved Stellvia, and I thought it took a pretty neutral route actually. Stellvia has VERY little fanservice IMHO, especially for a series with a heavily female character cast. I think they put it in the shonen mag because guys in Japan aren't caught dead buying shoujo serial books, so they knew that it would sell better to both that way. It actually seems very shoujo-ish in many parts if you ask me *shrug*
JediNight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-12-25, 05:05   Link #38
Laguna
Aikidoka

Quote:
Originally Posted by abubo
Stellvia is part of the new wave of shonen series which uses girls as main characters, just like Azumanga Daioh and Gunslinger Girls. Plus, there a little fan service here and there... usually involving closeups of Arisa and Yayoi.
Hrr.. I get shivers just hearing Azumanga Daioh and Stellvia in same sentence. I hated Stellvia to death, but Azumanga was my alltime favorite. I'm male btw.
Laguna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-12-25, 06:27   Link #39
uLTraCarL-
Planet uLTraCarL Inc
*Fansubber

Send a message via ICQ to uLTraCarL- Send a message via AIM to uLTraCarL-
all i know is that stellvia used ship designs from Homeworld >

from the mothership to the scout

The Chronicles of uLTraCarL .. Youtube connection
[Ht] Hostile Takeover #hostile @ irc.gamesurge.net .. Anime-Kraze #anime-kraze @ irc.rizon.net
uLTraCarL- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-12-25, 09:12   Link #40
Egan1

Me (female) and my sister both enjoyed it. My brother watched it also I believe.
Egan1 is offline   Reply With Quote