AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Kannagi

Notices

View Poll Results: Kannagi - Total Series Rating
Perfect 10 29 21.01%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 44 31.88%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 34 24.64%
7 out of 10 : Good 19 13.77%
6 out of 10 : Average 5 3.62%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 2 1.45%
4 out of 10 : Poor 2 1.45%
3 out of 10 : Bad 1 0.72%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 2 1.45%
1 out of 10 : Painful 0 0%
Voters: 138. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2009-01-15, 23:00   Link #21
Darknemo2000

Send a message via AIM to Darknemo2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
This is probably Kannagi's biggest "flaw" .... some of the crowd liked the comedy and hated the serious storyline, some of the crowd liked the serious storyline and thought some of the comedy (at least the parts not driven naturally by personality) was off-base.

Some of that comedy-tragic mix is just inherent to japanese storylines in anime and manga, so it just remains jarring to western eyeballs.
It is true but not completely - it is jarring to Japanese eyes as well in this case. Autyher herself admitted that she had problems and never controlled her manga - whenever she wanted to make it serious it turned into comedy, whenever she wanted comedy it turned into serious.

Even in Japan which is tolerable for such weird mix Kannagi is criticized for its inconsistency and rather jumpy style while dealing with different themes.

Well Kannagi's anime is one of those rare anime sthat are better than its original, but it still has some of the originals flaws.
Old 2009-01-16, 04:32   Link #22
BetoJR
A blast from the past
*Artist

I thought that this comment by the author was made in the back cover of the first collected volume, and was more in jest or something than an admittance of "guilt"?

Old 2009-01-16, 06:10   Link #23
Darknemo2000

It is a matter of interpretation but she seemed to be genuine, in a sense that she had troubles on keeping a control of her manga, and you can see it throughout the volumes.
Old 2009-01-16, 06:35   Link #24
BetoJR
A blast from the past
*Artist

I still think that was just a harmless comment - she even pointed out that it was exactly how she wanted it to be, no? The whole "when I tried to be serious, it was funny" and vice-versa?

Old 2009-01-16, 09:13   Link #25
Darknemo2000

I think differently. And? We will never find any reasonable resolve for this so lets rather leave it at this as in both cases it is just our opinions based on interpretations which are subjective. Both opionion's are valid and invalid equally.
Old 2009-01-16, 19:05   Link #26
Samatarou
Son of God
*Artist

I enjoyed watching Kannagi, one of the few series I've stuck right through recently.

On the upside there was a bit of everything in it, but the downside was also that — it was rather scatty, with almost every plotline petering out after one or two episodes. For the breadth it tried to cover, it should have been a 26 episode series. In the end I give it 8/10 because it did keep me coming back for more (unlike most other series I've been watching) despite the accompanying frustrations of plot threads continually being dropped just as they got interesting. But the only episode I didn't really like was the karaoke one, all the rest I enjoyed in themselves so I'm going to be philosophical about it and score it a largely episodic series.

Close this thread, Open the nexT
Old 2009-01-23, 11:00   Link #27
Echoes

It ranks in at a solid 7-8/10 for me, which is very high by my standards. The endearing characters and superb voice acting played a big part in my enjoyment of this series, and lovely visuals certainly didn't hurt either. The storyline wasn't bad, but it wasn't stellar either. But that didn't really matter, since every second of the series was enjoyable and kept it me smiling all the way through.
Old 2009-01-24, 13:20   Link #28
windstar!~
C'est la vie...

Send a message via MSN to windstar!~
I'd give it a straight 10/10 but in my opinion this could've been longer. I came back to see if there's more, it was a tad short after all. Still, this is one of the best shows I've ever seen.

This still gets a 10/10 from me.
Old 2009-01-27, 22:36   Link #29
ZephyrLeanne
On a sabbatical

Well, let me first say this: I AM RATHER STRICT on my ratings.

9.5: Haruhi
9: CLANNAD
8: Minami-ke [S1]
7: Kannazuki
6: Kanon
5: AIR

And this... gets a 10. [Haruhiists, SORRY.] This series isn't about trying to be the most outstanding, most different, most anything. It's just about magic, really. The main thing here is Nagi really. I felt more for her AFTER the outrage that some people here in Japan caused over Nagi. You know, I never felt this way for Himeko [Kannazuki] during the time of the "flute-rape".

I guess it had something... I dunno what. I'll try to find out. But whatever;

Animation Quality: 10
Voice Actors: 9
Script: 9
Soundtrack: 9
Editing: 10
Enjoyment: 10
Emotional Involvement: 10 [after the outrage over Nagi]

Roughly, about 9.6, which rings it 1 percentage point over Haruhi. I'll be nice and give a 10.
There you go.
Old 2009-01-28, 19:17   Link #30
Meatrose
Antihero

I had a good time watching this anime. Sure, I found it somewhat lacking in the story department, but the characters really carry the show. Apart from some deficient directing in one of the key scenes I must say that the production was solid, and I really hope to see more Kannagi in the near future.

5/10
Old 2009-02-02, 13:26   Link #31
Gargron

Quote:
Originally Posted by windstar!~ View Post
I'd give it a straight 10/10 but in my opinion this could've been longer. I came back to see if there's more, it was a tad short after all. Still, this is one of the best shows I've ever seen.

This still gets a 10/10 from me.
I agree, though I gave it 9/10 because of the singing-filler-episode. The ending was so sudden that I think there will be another season some day.
Old 2009-02-09, 22:46   Link #32
Justin Kim
*Artist

I say 8/10, some of the events were rather random, but that sure made it fun. I like how it's pretty much an evolution of Japanese manga art. More vibrant colors, and realistic characters each showing some unique individualist characteristics. Overall, I loved the series, and I hope they make a second season.
Old 2009-03-09, 15:31   Link #33
Waking_Dreamer
Dreamer King

Nothing new, but it does what it does to a solid standard!

The characters were what made this series great. I was totally immersed in the character of Nagi by the second episode max. The voice acting really made her come to life!

All the side characters were very much entertaining too...particularly the otaku guy and the senpai with glasses.

A quick solid treat of a series I must say. Ill be right there if they decided to have another season.
Old 2009-03-10, 09:38   Link #34
HammerOrNails
One day...
*Artist

I liked the series quite a bit, almost wished at times they'd just scrapped the tragic / sentimental undertones... I thought it worked perfectly as a piece of pure slapstick comedy.
Also, the not so veiled meta-anime references were just hilarious.
Old 2009-04-04, 18:14   Link #35
zebra
❙❙❙❙❙❙❙❥

Send a message via AIM to zebra Send a message via MSN to zebra
Animation Quality: 9

Voice Actors: 9

Script: 9

Soundtrack:8
.... god at first I couldn't remember any music other than that stupid bean song xD

Editing: 8

Enjoyment: 10

Emotional Involvement: 9

Overall: 10/10

It's exactly the kind of anime I'm drawn, too.
There are only a few things I didn't like about it. Firstly, that big guy who never talks much. I don't know, but these guys are getting old. When I try to say something about him I say "You know .. that big guy - who's like Sado from Bleach" xD

Secondly, the end. Not the end itself, but you just could feel that it's been cut there. Simply too sudden.

Ah and I hate Zange ... but that's not really a critic point.

The thing I really loved in the series was the HUMOR. God, I was hitting my desk sometimes, because I was laughing so hard XD I also liked the whole style of the series.

90% of the characters were great, too. And in their own way original. You could all categorize them easily, but they're all interesting imo.

I also liked the serious moments - and in my opinion they were just right. I don't like it when a series full of humor _totally_ turns drama and never turns back. But don't get me wrong, of course I want development and such, it's what makes a series really great after all, but it shouldn't swallow the comedy forever. Often authors aren't able to switch between comedy and drama properly. And that's a real shame ^^

But anyway - loved it, just had the 'unfinished, gotta read manga or wait for next season' flare at the end.
Old 2009-04-07, 19:50   Link #36
Lostdreams

I give every anime I enjoyed a 10/10. Doesn't matter whether the anime had flaws or not. Nobody cares about that stuff. It's all about whether or not you enjoyed it or not.
Old 2009-04-13, 07:49   Link #37
Zarn
ナギさま~!

Finished watching 12-13 just now. I rewatched 1-8 last night in order to catch up with the story and went up to ep 11 without taking a break (only in between some eps, for toilet XD). My body was screaming for some night sleep after that, though XD.

Great series overall. Awesome artwork, great characters and great humor. I also liked the ending a lot. For some reason I thought Nagi will go back to her god form somehow, which will be kinda sad, but I guess this is not the type of anime to have such an ending

I thoroughly enjoyed this series, so I give it a perfect 10!
Old 2009-07-06, 02:35   Link #38
封鎖された渋谷で

As people around me know, I apply different barometers on different series. This is a partially slice of life, partially drama series. Which invokes the "Gut" meter.

It's very good, if you look at it as slice-of-life. But as a proper series, I think it could do better.

Seeing as that there is only some vague direction of plot, I think that it's more slice of life, so I'll give it a "Very Good", and that's all.
Old 2009-07-22, 11:09   Link #39
Akka

A very pleasing anime, which made me laugh heartily and had likeable characters.
The 10th episode was just PURE GOLD.

Devoured the serie nearly in one go. Too bad it was only 13-episodes long, I would have largely prefered 26.

A well-deserved 8 (and that's pretty high for me).
Old 2009-09-06, 22:25   Link #40
incube
Dango Master
*IT Support

This was a great anime to watch and it earned its place in my favorite list =D Epic comedy with a really good plot and dramatic moments... combined with great music, animation and VA... simply godly

There were so many great episodes... kannagi in the closet, at the karaoke (really wanted to hear the last song xD), making the low budget film... and the characters in this anime had that original and refreshing personality...

This is one of those animes that you feel like keeping it somewhere handy after you finish watching it

Last edited by incube; 2009-09-06 at 22:47.
Closed Thread