AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime > Fansub Groups

Notices

Old 2007-07-04, 11:45   Link #1
NaweG
Just some guy

Future of Subbing - Online Collaboration?

Just wondering if this (http://www.dotsub.com/) is where we're going for subbing? Allows multiple folks to do multiple languages which are then shown during online playback - letting them deal with the bandwidth issues.
Old 2007-07-04, 13:01   Link #2
Unearthly

Would you really want to watch an episode on there? Do you enjoy watching anime on youtube? If so, uh, power to you. But personally I prefer my media high quality and non-streamed, thank you.

I also don't think they'd enjoy you putting lots of copyrighted content on there.
They aren't quite Youtube so I imagine it would be easier to regulate.
Unearthly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-07-04, 15:37   Link #3
False Dawn
Florsheim Monster
*Fansubber

I think it's more likely that fansubs will start releasing series/episodes with multiple subtitle tracks to allow people to watch in languages other than English - to an extent, some groups have already started doing that - Animanda doing a Slovenian translation for Devil May Cry, and roxfan releasing Toki Wo Kakeru Shoujo with a Russian translation.

Of course, this takes time, so most groups don't release in multiple languages. But it's more likely to happen in a sub group than on an online site like that.
False Dawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-07-04, 19:37   Link #4
Unearthly

Well, they don't even have to be in the same group. Assuming it's softsubs, it would be very easy for something like:

Group A releases anime episode in English.
Person B extracts script, translates English->XXX, posts script online for people to use with original file.

While Group A does the whole translating, editing, timing, typesetting, and encoding, Person B only has to translate and edit their script. This suffers from the same 'Telephone' problem that the site in the OP has, but makes entry to the scene very easy. All you need is to be able to use Matroska tools and translate to your target language.

All the more reason (in my opinion) to use softsubs.
Unearthly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-07-04, 20:49   Link #5
jfs
Aegisub dev

My advice would be to never delay a release because of waiting for multiple languages. It can easily turn into an infinite delay, making everyone on the project impatient and start losing interest, eventually leading to the project dying. At least that has been the fate of those two multi-language sub projects I have participated in.
The better solution is indeed to just release with English softsubs (and perhaps also foreign-language subs that were finished on time, but the selection of included subs should be consistent) and let other people take care of the further translation then.
Scripts for further translation to a third language should probably also be sprinkled with further notes on the meaning of the original text, otherwise lots of nuances can get lost in translation.

Aegisub developer [ Forum | Manual | Feature requests | Bug reports | IRC ]
Don't ask for: More VSFilter changes (I won't), karaoke effects, help in PM's
jfs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-07-04, 20:54   Link #6
Starks
I see what you did there!
*Scanlator

Send a message via AIM to Starks
Take a look at how StormBerry.tv does things... It's essentially Youtube with softsubs.
Old 2007-07-04, 21:19   Link #7
Access

No. I don't really see any real benefit fir multiple languages, and BT has already made all this streaming stuff obsolete.
Access is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-07-04, 21:43   Link #8
DryFire
Panda Herder

It's a C&D waiting to happen. When 640x480 video at a decent bitrate starts streaming it may be interesting, but for now why hurt your eyes?
DryFire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-07-05, 00:14   Link #9
Starks
I see what you did there!
*Scanlator

Send a message via AIM to Starks
The fundamental problem is that streaming quality and Internet bandwidth are essentially tidally locked.
Old 2007-07-05, 00:20   Link #10
Koroku
formerly JKaizer
*Fansubber

Send a message via AIM to Koroku Send a message via MSN to Koroku Send a message via Yahoo to Koroku
Eh... I highly doubt it. Unless you see places that start offering to stream h264 720p video without lag... it just isn't going to happen.

The community is becoming so obsessed with "quality" that it's absurd.

*still can not tell a big difference between 320kbps MP3 and FLAC or the difference between LQ XviD and HQ h264 when blown to full screen*
Old 2007-07-05, 00:25   Link #11
edogawaconan
Hi
*Fansubber

Send a message via MSN to edogawaconan Send a message via Yahoo to edogawaconan
Quote:
Originally Posted by JKaizer View Post
*still can not tell a big difference between 320kbps MP3 and FLAC or the difference between LQ XviD and HQ h264 when blown to full screen*
isn't it is _very_ easy? what's difficult is when it is downscaled...
edogawaconan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-07-05, 00:29   Link #12
Koroku
formerly JKaizer
*Fansubber

Send a message via AIM to Koroku Send a message via MSN to Koroku Send a message via Yahoo to Koroku
Quote:
Originally Posted by edogawaconan View Post
isn't it is _very_ easy? what's difficult is when it is downscaled...
When it's uped to full screen on a 1024x768 screen, it really doesn't look all that different unless you're really looking for it. But that debate is for another thread.
Old 2007-07-05, 02:25   Link #13
edogawaconan
Hi
*Fansubber

Send a message via MSN to edogawaconan Send a message via Yahoo to edogawaconan
Quote:
Originally Posted by JKaizer View Post
When it's uped to full screen on a 1024x768 screen, it really doesn't look all that different unless you're really looking for it. But that debate is for another thread.
or when you've trained to see them. even AonE's El Cazador encodes looks too soft for me not to mention some blocking in opening scene

edit: be grateful if you can't see them as it doesn't improve watching experience (in fact, it decreases). Ability to see them is mainly useful for encoder only...
edogawaconan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-07-05, 07:30   Link #14
jfs
Aegisub dev

The problem with low-quality streaming video is that (hard) subtitles can quickly turn unreadable. But if this service (I haven't looked at it yet) can do softsubs then they've obviously solved that problem.

Old 2007-07-05, 23:49   Link #15
xat
*Fansubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by DryFire View Post
It's a C&D waiting to happen. When 640x480 video at a decent bitrate starts streaming it may be interesting, but for now why hurt your eyes?
Doesn't stage6 have this covered to some extent (sans softsubs perhaps)? Granted, their EULA doesn't exactly condone the kind of material we deal with.
xat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-07-06, 07:17   Link #16
LS5

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfs View Post
My advice would be to never delay a release because of waiting for multiple languages. It can easily turn into an infinite delay, making everyone on the project impatient and start losing interest, eventually leading to the project dying. At least that has been the fate of those two multi-language sub projects I have participated in.
This is why deadlines exist. I've been in charge of the Dutch translation of Honobono's recent The Bridge over Dreams, so I've had the chance to see how things work in a multi-language project too. All the translators were basically told to have the script ready by the end of the month. After this deadline I noticed a minor error in my ASS formatting which caused it not to display correctly when using libass, but I was told: "Unless we spot some faults in the English script, we're not going to include your fix." Which was totally fair. 'Luckily' for me, some mistakes were found in the English script, so my fix was included in later RCs, but other translators later on were simply told that their changes in the script were not going to make the final release. Projects like this can work fine as long as there are some strict deadlines.
LS5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-07-06, 07:48   Link #17
jfs
Aegisub dev

Quote:
Originally Posted by LS5 View Post
Projects like this can work fine as long as there are some strict deadlines.
That still doesn't solve the problem of "translator disappearing after a few episodes have been released". Losing a third-language translation halfway through a series doesn't look good at all. (It seems to be a rule, if your project is partially dependent on some specific person, that person will disappear halfway through with no notice at all.)

Old 2007-07-06, 08:05   Link #18
LS5

In that case, simply drop that specific language from the project. It may 'not look good at all', but it sure as hell is a lot better than letting the entire project die.
LS5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-07-06, 20:38   Link #19
Nicholi
King of Hosers

Joost amazingly enough streams H.264, so the possibility of high quality is always there. Though I haven't prodded quite into what the res is yet, I would assume something around standard def at least.
Nicholi is offline   Reply With Quote