AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2007-02-09, 08:47   Link #221
tun
lolwut
*Fansubber

ep 6 is out btw

I don't check RC's, which I probably should, but I spotted 3 or 4 mistakes. >_<

Last edited by tun; 2007-02-09 at 11:23.
tun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-02-09, 10:48   Link #222
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Yet another wonderful episode.

I enjoyed that you needed to see the whole episode to understand Yumi's character, thats easily a big part of this series. I'm also happy that this episode focused more on Matsukata's 'angry' side. We've only seen parts of it in the past.. this time it was full on and beautiful.
Old 2007-02-09, 14:02   Link #223
Matrim
Naysayer?Fanboy?Wiseacre?

Great episode, at first it seemed like a simplistic bashing of Yumi's approach to things and it turned out this wasn't the case. I can't say I liked Yumi's ways of dealing with problems but it was nice to see the two different perspectives without moralising messages about which one is superior. Why, oh why there are not many more series like this one? And why is it so short?

Matrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-02-09, 17:49   Link #224
Kaoru Chujo
Yuuki Aoi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matrim View Post
Great episode, at first it seemed like a simplistic bashing of Yumi's approach to things and it turned out this wasn't the case. I can't say I liked Yumi's ways of dealing with problems but it was nice to see the two different perspectives without moralising messages about which one is superior. Why, oh why there are not many more series like this one? And why is it so short?
Quoted in total because I totally agree. I generally prefer short series, but this is one where I think -- depending on the manga and the writers -- there is enough dramatic material that they could even spin it to 26 with no problem.

I do have hopes that because of its great ratings, they might be able to come back for a second season sometime. I think that the ability to attract a more female and slightly older audience (with money) could be ringing bells in the production companies' marketing departments.

The more episodes of this series I see again, the higher it climbs in my estimation.
YUUKI Aoi 悠木碧. b92.03.27 (age 29). 2008 Kurenai (Murasaki). 2009 Yumeiro Pâtissière (Ichigo), Kiruminzuu (Riko), Yutori-chan (Yutori-chan). 2010 Vampire Bund (Mina Tepeş), Shiki (Sunako), Samurai Girls (Juubee), Pokémon: Black and White (Iris). 2011 Madoka Magica (Madoka), Gosick (Victorique), A-Channel (Tooru). 2012 Symphogear (Hibiki). 2014 Pilot's Love Song (Claire/Nina), Nanatsu no Taizai (Diane). 2015 Owari no Seraph (Krul Tepes), Rokka no Yuusha (Fremy). 2016 Boku no Hero Academia (Tsuyu, Froppy). 2017 Kino no Tabi (Kino). 2021 Kumo desu ga (watashi), Kaizoku Oujo (Karin), Heike Monogatari (Biwa), etc., etc. Total of 513 roles in anime and games.
Kaoru Chujo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-02-09, 18:23   Link #225
Slice of Life
eyewitness

Actually I'm quite happy that the series is so short. The majority of my favorite series are in the one season range. Most 24+ eps. episodic series' suffer under plot recycling. And when they have a continuous plot, they suffer under fillers.

Anyway, Arienai please keep up your excellent work.
Slice of Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-02-09, 18:57   Link #226
Quarkboy
Translator, Producer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaoru Chujo View Post
Quoted in total because I totally agree. I generally prefer short series, but this is one where I think -- depending on the manga and the writers -- there is enough dramatic material that they could even spin it to 26 with no problem.

I do have hopes that because of its great ratings, they might be able to come back for a second season sometime. I think that the ability to attract a more female and slightly older audience (with money) could be ringing bells in the production companies' marketing departments.

The more episodes of this series I see again, the higher it climbs in my estimation.
Well, they'll be enough manga source material for another run in about a year.

13 episodes covered about 2.5 volumes of manga, and I beleive the 4th volume is slated to be published around June of this year. Which means there'd be enough to support another 13 episodes only in about a year.

Note that Moyoco Anno's one-volume work "Sakuran" is being made into a live action film, so perhaps they're busy with that lately. I could definitely see them making another season of Hataraki in the future, however.
Sam Pinansky
Quarkboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-02-09, 20:50   Link #227
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Just another terrific episode thanks to our friends at Arienai!

Four years with Shinji, hm? I had a couple of relationships last longer than they should because we'd never confront whether to get married or not. I know they don't see each other all that much, but if it's lasted this long and isn't going forward, it's probably never going forward. At least they woke up in the same place at the beginning of this episode! Oh, and I didn't see Shinji at the wedding. Did I miss him or was he not in attendance?

I thought this shot of Hiro with the bouquet is priceless! Definitely one of my favorites so far.

Spoiler for size:

I also detected a hint of a smile near the beginning when she first heard that Yumi-chan was getting married. Looked like the biggest smile so far in the series.

I'm still not certain what the "moral" of this episode is. Should we admire Yumi for exploiting her feminity in the workplace, or admire Hiro for her unwillingness to conform to the sexist culture in which she works? Perhaps we should admire them both for their self-conscious decisions about how to cope, even though the choices they made are so different?

I really thought Yumi was going to marry the ballplayer.

Last edited by SeijiSensei; 2009-05-18 at 23:32. Reason: Added spoiler tags
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-02-09, 21:24   Link #228
Matrim

Quote:
I'm still not certain what the "moral" of this episode is. Should we admire Yumi for exploiting her feminity in the workplace, or admire Hiro for her unwillingness to conform to the sexist culture in which she works? Perhaps we should admire them both for their self-conscious decisions about how to cope, even though the choices they made are so different?
I think everyone should decide for himself whom (if any) of the two to admire in this case. If there is a moral, it's that we shouldn't judge others just because their way of coping with problems is different than ours.

Quote:
Actually I'm quite happy that the series is so short. The majority of my favorite series are in the one season range. Most 24+ eps. episodic series' suffer under plot recycling. And when they have a continuous plot, they suffer under fillers.
True but since Hataraki Man covers broad themes that are familiar to most people and is very much character driven, I don't think plot recycling would be such a problem. The way the series is progressing it seems that the members of the supporting cast will have just one episode in which they are in the midst of things and since these characters are quite interesting, certainly it doesn't seem that difficult to double the amount of episodes and explore their personalities once more, there is clearly a potential material for more episodes. And a second season might not be as good as the first one but it will certainly be better than most of the generic crap that is being produced these days, the worst thing that could happen is that it would spoil a bit the impressions from the first season

Old 2007-02-10, 02:38   Link #229
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Feminism in Hataraki Man

Not too OT, I hope.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matrim View Post
I think everyone should decide for himself whom (if any) of the two to admire in this case. If there is a moral, it's that we shouldn't judge others just because their way of coping with problems is different than ours.
Don't get me wrong; I'm quite happy that we're left to judge this for ourselves. I was more curious about whether people thought the series' creators were more sympathetic to Yumi's or Hiro's point of view. I find Hiro's strength of character truly admirable, even if I'm turned off by her uber-commitment to the workplace. And while, like you, I didn't like Yumi's choice of the kawaii strategy to get ahead, Yumi does remind Hiro that she is still a woman and not a hataraki man.

I've always enjoyed studying how gender roles are portrayed in anime. As a gaijin with little or no exposure to Japanese culture and mores before watching anime, I wasn't prepared for the frequent appearance of feminist themes in many series aimed at girls and women.* I thought of Japan as a place where traditional gender roles still held sway and expected to see girls and women portrayed more submissively than in American programming.

I was thus surprised to see how feminist thinking pervades a lot of modern anime, especially shoujo and josei shows. While it's especially obvious in the work of artists like Miyazaki or the CLAMP collective, shows by many other artists also feature strong female protagonists. Obvious examples of what I sometimes call the "plucky girl" genre include Spirited Away, Angelic Layer, Noein, or Mahou Shoujo Tai Arusu. All of these depict preteen heroines who always do their best despite the difficulties they encounter and who succeed in the end. Older versions of these characters appear in shows like REC, Junni Kokki, or Saiunkoku Monogatari.** Even in historical dramas like Saiunkoku or Junni Kokki, the heroines have very modern sensibilities. They never worry that their gender will keep them from reaching their goals as long as they do their best.

Hiro is, I think, much less sanguine about her future than these younger counterparts. And, to return to the initial discussion, episode 6 made me wonder if this show's creators also have a more jaded view of feminism than does, say, Miyazaki. When Spirited Away's Chihiro grows up will she be one of four women in an office of forty people,*** horribly overworked and overworking, and constantly struggling to get the respect she so clearly deserves? I think Hiro tries to do her best every day just as much as Angelic Layer's Misaki, but in the adult world just doing your best may not be enough. Sometimes you need put on that scent of freesia to become female Hataraki Man.

Even though I can't imagine myself watching an office comedy on American network television, I'm strongly attached to this show. It combines laugh-out-loud humor with a depth of adult characterization that's rarely found in television programming of any sort. I happened to watch a bit of a network crime procedural (one of the CSI's) at a friend's house the other night and saw none of the humanity that's painted into every frame of Hataraki Man.

**Well, "older" in that they're 16-20. Anime has remarkably few heroines over the age of 20. Hiro, at 28, thus joins Balalaika as one of the oldest female principals that I've seen in an anime.

***What makes the 10% female statistic so remarkable to my eyes is that, in the United States, publishing has traditionally been an industry that was relatively open to women. By the way, women as a whole in Japan make up about 40% of the work force, though they're much less well-represented in professional and managerial positions like Hiro's.
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-02-10, 10:14   Link #230
Matrim

Quote:
I've always enjoyed studying how gender roles are portrayed in anime. As a gaijin with little or no exposure to Japanese culture and mores before watching anime, I wasn't prepared for the frequent appearance of feminist themes in many series aimed at girls and women. I thought of Japan as a place where traditional gender roles still held sway and expected to see girls and women portrayed more submissively than in American programming.
Still the series depicting such themes are few compared to the myriad of series full of over the top fanservice, blushing moe girls, one-dimensional tsunderes or no character development at all, let alone nicely crafted female characters. I think there are a lot of submissive females in anime and often they look strong until their love interest appears and then they start to behave like total morons who will do absolutely everything for him, yet are too shy to express their feelings, which of course does happen in real life but not exactly every time as some anime sub-genres seem to suggest.

Quote:
Well, "older" in that they're 16-20. Anime has remarkably few heroines over the age of 20. Hiro, at 28, thus joins Balalaika as one of the oldest female principals that I've seen in an anime.
Remarkably few "old" main characters, too. And by old I mean over 25 but yes, the case with female characters is particularly dramatic.

Quote:
Don't get me wrong; I'm quite happy that we're left to judge this for ourselves. I was more curious about whether people thought the series' creators were more sympathetic to Yumi's or Hiro's point of view.
Since Hiro and Yumi is chosen to be the main character I think the creators should be on her side, if Yumi was more interesting to the manga creator(s) she would have been the main character, I guess. But they both were portrayed in symphatetic light because of the bad position they are put in due to the sexism vibes in the workplace - Yumi's approach relies on the men's condescending way of treating of "kawaii" women, while Hiro has to work much harder than everyone else and when does she still gets laughed at. It's actually remarkable how this bleak situation can be shown along with many comic scenes and still ring true.

Old 2007-02-10, 23:54   Link #231
Siegel Clyne

Hataraki-Man's Reign as Noitamina's Overall TV Ratings Champ

Television Audience Ratings - Kantou Region (Tokyo, Yokohama, Kawasaki, Saitama, Chiba, etc.)

If the current television audience ratings trend more or less continues till Nodame Cantabile ends its broadcast run, Hataraki-Man may very well remain the anime series with the highest television audience rating average (4.01%) to air in Fuji TV's late night animation Noitamina block.

Episode 6 of Hataraki-Man received a television audience rating of 4.7%.

Last edited by Siegel Clyne; 2007-02-11 at 00:24.
Siegel Clyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-02-11, 00:23   Link #232
Quarkboy
Translator, Producer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siegel Clyne View Post
Television Audience Ratings - Kantou Region (Tokyo, Yokohama, Kawasaki, Saitama, Chiba, etc.)

If the current television audience ratings trend more or less continues till Nodame Cantabile ends its broadcast run, Hataraki-Man may very well remain the anime series with the highest average television audience rating (4.01%) to air in Fuji TV's late night animation Noitamina block.

Episode 6 of Hataraki-Man received a television audience rating of 4.7%.
You've got to wonder though, if those ratings translate into more DVD sales. After all, for late night anime, that's the ONLY thing that matters to the bottom line (and whether there are more episodes made).

Somehow I bet that all those depressed working women/working men staying up late to watch the show aren't going to be shelling out $45 a disc for the DVDs (unlike crazy Otaku).
Sam Pinansky
Old 2007-02-11, 01:26   Link #233
Siegel Clyne

Sponsor is Thrilled with Success of Hataraki-Man Anime

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quarkboy View Post
You've got to wonder though, if those ratings translate into more DVD sales. After all, for late night anime, that's the ONLY thing that matters to the bottom line (and whether there are more episodes made).

Somehow I bet that all those depressed working women/working men staying up late to watch the show aren't going to be shelling out $45 a disc for the DVDs (unlike crazy Otaku).

According to Mantan Web, DIP, a sponsor of the Hataraki-Man anime, is more than happy with its success; among other things, it has brought in a lot of new business for DIP. According to a post on a recent animation television audience ratings thread at 2ch, the Hataraki-Man commercial for DIP is still running in Japan.

So, let's wait and see on a possible second anime series for Hataraki-Man.
Siegel Clyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-02-11, 02:50   Link #234
Quarkboy
Translator, Producer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siegel Clyne View Post
According to Mantan Web, DIP, a sponsor of the Hataraki-Man anime, is more than happy with its success; among other things, it has brought in a lot of new business for DIP. According to a post on a recent animation television audience ratings thread at 2ch, the Hataraki-Man commercial for DIP is still running in Japan.

So, let's wait and see on a possible second anime series for Hataraki-Man.
I wonder is Tsutaya saw any boost in sales, too? In case you hadn't noticed, their product placement is EVERYWHERE in the show. Ads on billboards, commercials on the TV in the background, in the opening, in almost every single outside street scene... Them and that energy drink have crazy overboard product placement .

When I was in tokyo this winter I actually bought my map of Tokyo at a Tsutaya bookstore, so maybe it worked on me? (I still like kinokuniya the best 'cause they have a store in LA)
Sam Pinansky
Old 2007-02-18, 22:57   Link #235
Joojoobees

Smile A beautiful show

Many thanks to Arenai for subbing this show.

Example of the nice artwork you can see in the first episode.

Joojoobees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-02-26, 04:04   Link #236
kenshinvn

Sorry for not catching with all of you since now I just reached 4th episode. This show is really enjoyable. I always wait for Realistic anime and now I'm finding myself in Hataraki Man. Working pressure, exhaustion, depression, enthusiasm, etc... are a general description of every employee (or boss ^^). The harmonization of work and life is a big issue nowadays and many of us still try to find a way out. Some may not be interested in the whole atmosphere of this anime while I'm watching it with so much fun. A good "picture" of modern life in everywhere .
kenshinvn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-03-19, 13:37   Link #237
tun
lolwut
*Fansubber

Just a note for our loyal viewers, episode 7 and 8 should be out shortly.
Old 2007-03-20, 07:08   Link #238
Dop
Mmmm....

Quote:
Originally Posted by tun View Post
Thanks, I'll be looking forward to that!
Dop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-03-22, 17:04   Link #239
Joojoobees

Thumbs up Squeeeel!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tun View Post
I'm gonna be watchin' Hataraki Man tonight!

In commemoration of fansubs for episodes 7 & 8 being released, I decided to change my avatar.

I really liked episode 8. I thought it was a sweet story.

Spoiler for episode 8:

Last edited by Joojoobees; 2007-03-22 at 21:25. Reason: Post-watch notes
Joojoobees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-03-23, 06:15   Link #240
night train

Thank for more Hataraki Man!!!
night train is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
noitamina, office, seinen