AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Shin Sekai Yori

Notices

View Poll Results: Shin Sekai Yori - Episode 13 Rating
Perfect 10 8 18.18%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 10 22.73%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 19 43.18%
7 out of 10 : Good 5 11.36%
6 out of 10 : Average 2 4.55%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 0 0%
4 out of 10 : Poor 0 0%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 0 0%
Voters: 44. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2012-12-22, 19:58   Link #41
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuromitsu View Post
No, they didn't say that, they said it was "that winter" - that is, the winter of the year when the Shun incident happened.

Also, aww, they made the kitty make dog noises. It's a pity they didn't make it more cat-like. Cats don't growl like that. (Then again, animals tend to be silent when they're stalking their prey...)
The really creepy thing is that they gave the cats high-heeled feet.
Old 2012-12-22, 21:20   Link #42
Forsaken_Infinity

This episode wasn't as gripping to watch as the past 3 or so. Nothing really happened and I think they could have presented the content in half the time.

Maria bunny-hopping was awesome though. Complete with a short KZ-esque climb up a cliff. Hell yeah.

I don't know if there really is a link between Saki knowing the truth now and Mamoru being targeted. It was implied that the Ethics committee and the Education board don't share decisions and proceedings. But Satoru's granny already saved them once, perhaps she can't interfere twice and that's why she chose to tell Saki how things are now. She also told her to not hold Education Board people in contempt and we were shown a scene where those people were making a decision or some thing. If we wanna be cynical, then it's all planned and Satoru's granny is lying about there being no connection between Education Board and her committee of course but I somehow feel that's not quite the case.
Old 2012-12-22, 23:27   Link #43
Dark Wing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakshasa View Post
Board of Education and the Ethics Committee might not be entirely in agreement regarding the handling of the group through the various events, and therefor the former decided to destabilize the foundation of the group in order to eliminate Saki as a successor to the job she was offered.
That makes me wonder about the current state of the villages political system.

The anime hasn't really fully established the relationship between the Ethics Committee and Board of Education. All we know is that the Board of Education is in charge of the elimination of children they deem a threat while the Ethics Committee seems to have total control over the community itself but it seem like there should be more to it then that.

For example, Dose the Board of Education have complete freedom to do as they want when it comes to the children of the community or dose the Ethics Committee have the final say in what steps should be taken?

I know Satoru's grandma said that the Ethics Committee usually doesn't interfere when it comes to the Board of Education's decision to remove a child but made an exception when it came to Saki.

So dose that mean the Ethics Committee have the power to veto a decision made by the Board of Education whenever they want or is it only possible when proven it's a special case involved?

Also where dose the other systems of their government fit into all this. I remember it was mentioned somewhere that Saki's father was some kind of judge or a high level decision maker like a city council member after all being able to help decide who gets an extra ration of electricity seems like a big deal to me. However he has no say so over the actions taken by the Ethics Committee which I find interesting since no one seems to know who the member of the Ethics Committee are yet they seem to have supreme control.

So this begs the question whom is running what in this village?

(Or should I say villages since there seems to be more then one they're just connected but some sort of river system.)
Old 2012-12-22, 23:55   Link #44
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian Enzo View Post
Maybe they're inspired by Nolan's high-heeled Catwoman, who knows?

On another topic, I don't wanna sound cruel, but I'm kinda disappointed that Mamoru is still okay .

Btw, Maria's hopping looks quite weird. Why didn't she just flying/floating low instead of hopping like a kangaroo?
Old 2012-12-23, 03:03   Link #45
kuromitsu

Quote:
I think that's adorable, but I freely admit I'm unreasonable when it comes to cats.
Old 2012-12-23, 10:12   Link #46
hai_san

So what comes next...pretty intense the story so far but for this EP the animation quality drops again, the scenery was ok but the faces urhh...
Old 2012-12-23, 11:33   Link #47
Cosmic Eagle
今宵の虎徹は血に飢えている

Having just went to the Japan Alps a few days ago, I must say the scenery in this ep is most pleasant to watch
Old 2012-12-23, 19:27   Link #48
Archon_Wing
On a mission
*Author

Send a message via MSN to Archon_Wing
Eh, not up to par with the rest of the episodes I'd say. They seem to be trying to hide the lack of budget or whatever, but it doesn't look particularly great and just a lot of downtime. I don't really have anything to say, so yea, it was just kinda there.

Avatar/Sig courtesy of TheEroKing
Guild Wars 2 SN: ArchonWing.9480
MyAnimeList || Reviews
Old 2012-12-23, 21:54   Link #49
DragoZERO
Spoilaphobic

That was great. A little on the slow side, but the developments are quite good. I think Maria will become the fiend out of protecting Mamoru.
Old 2012-12-24, 02:04   Link #50
seiftis
~defying fate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forsaken_Infinity View Post
Maria bunny-hopping was awesome though
lol, all the way I was wondering if she doesn't get tired from all the bunny-hoppings, even with cantus.
Old 2012-12-24, 05:11   Link #51
klare

kids in that world will be really weak physically as they use their cantus on all these sports...

now im curious why they choose to eliminate Mamoru first
Old 2012-12-24, 07:56   Link #52
NoemiChan
Banned

Send a message via Yahoo to NoemiChan
Quote:
I think most woman wear high heels on the Catwalk...
Old 2012-12-26, 07:33   Link #53
Dop
Mmmm....

I got the impression that Maria's hopping would have taken less mental effort than full levitation, so she was better able to concentrate on the search for Mamoru.

Who or what disposed of the cat that came after Mamoru, it seems to me that someone got rid of it, but was it Mamoru subconsciously dealing with the threat or someone else?

And we have to wait until the week after next to find out.
Old 2012-12-26, 07:54   Link #54
NoemiChan
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dop View Post

Who or what disposed of the cat that came after Mamoru, it seems to me that someone got rid of it, but was it Mamoru subconsciously dealing with the threat or someone else?
That's one scene that concerns me. What was it? or rather who was it? Is it my Mamoru or somebody else? If yes, is it a friend? A person? A ghost?!
Old 2012-12-26, 08:23   Link #55
kuromitsu

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenjiChan View Post
That's one scene that concerns me. What was it? or rather who was it? Is it my Mamoru or somebody else? If yes, is it a friend? A person? A ghost?!
I think that was just the director being a bit too literal about the cat "melting into the darkness" that is, disappearing. (Mamoru having a glimpse at it, and then the blood, these are supposed to be the only proof that there was a cat at all, which is why it's a pity that they made it so obvious that the cat was there before Mamoru's power blew it away. Not that it matters, though...)
Old 2012-12-26, 08:29   Link #56
NoemiChan
Banned

Quote:
I think that was just the director being a bit too literal about the cat "melting into the darkness" that is, disappearing. (Mamoru having a glimpse at it, and then the blood, these are supposed to be the only proof that there was a cat at all, which is why it's a pity that they made it so obvious that the cat was there before Mamoru's power blew it away. Not that it matters, though...)
The way you said it, it seems Mamoru is...

Spoiler for Just for safety:
Old 2012-12-26, 12:26   Link #57
kuromitsu

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenjiChan View Post
The way you said it, it seems Mamoru is...

Spoiler for Just for safety:
Not necessarily, but this is sort of what I was talking about all along, re: why they're targeting him. I thought the episode made it obvious enough that his panic triggered his power pretty much subconsciously. They targeted him because he was "the weakest link" now with dangerous knowledge and dangerous thoughts which can lead him on a dangerous path - and lo and behold, here's the proof that indeed, he isn't 100% safe. Of course one has to wonder if this would've happened without them pushing him over the line by sending a kitty after him, or even if there was any need to target him in the first place instead of giving him some time to see if he can sort himself out, after all apparently he came back from the summer camp shaken but mostly okay. But kids have been culled for less and I guess nobody wants to wait and see if he's really dangerous or not... And in any case, what's done is done and everyone has to live with the consequences.

I've seen many people talking about how sweet and harmless Mamoru is, which is of course true, but that has no bearing on the decision whether to eliminate him or not. The problem with gouma and akki is not their personality. A gouma can be the sweetest kid ever but that doesn't matter if he can't control his subconscious and his power (see also: Shun). An akki can seem docile except you have no idea what's really going on in his head and when he'll snap.

Also, I just noticed:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Wing
So dose that mean the Ethics Committee have the power to veto a decision made by the Board of Education whenever they want or is it only possible when proven it's a special case involved?
If you remember ep 1: Saki's mom asks her husband to put some pressure on the Education Committee to make them reconsider Saki's execution by cat, and he reminds her that he's in no position to do that because the Education Committee is basically independent and answers only to itself. Tomiko has enough authority (in various ways) to veto a decision if she wants to, but as she told Saki there's an agreement that the Ethics Committee keeps out of the Education Committee's business. So Saki's case was a very rare exception.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Wing
I remember it was mentioned somewhere that Saki's father was some kind of judge or a high level decision maker like a city council member after all being able to help decide who gets an extra ration of electricity seems like a big deal to me.
I don't remember if they ever said this in the anime, but he's the mayor. Apparently he has no power over the Ethics & Education committees, though. Her mom is the head of the library which is supposed to be a position even more important than her father's (but apparently not important enough to pressure the Education Committee into anything...).
Old 2012-12-26, 12:55   Link #58
Dark Wing

Quote:

Also, I just noticed:

If you remember ep 1: Saki's mom asks her husband to put some pressure on the Education Committee to make them reconsider Saki's execution by cat, and he reminds her that he's in no position to do that because the Education Committee is basically independent and answers only to itself. Tomiko has enough authority (in various ways) to veto a decision if she wants to, but as she told Saki there's an agreement that the Ethics Committee keeps out of the Education Committee's business. So Saki's case was a very rare exception.

I don't remember if they ever said this in the anime, but he's the mayor. Apparently he has no power over the Ethics & Education committees, though. Her mom is the head of the library which is supposed to be a position even more important than her father's (but apparently not important enough to pressure the Education Committee into anything...).
Wow I starting to think I was forgotten for a while...

Thanks for clearing that up the anime didn't really go into the politics so I was wonder who was what around town.

Also no they didn't mention he was the major but I guess it wouldn't be that important since he might not be playing that big of a role. It dose help make sense how Saki seems to know some of these highly influential people on a personal level. Like how she recognized one of the members of the Board of Education right away because this person has been to her house before.
Old 2012-12-26, 13:28   Link #59
deadsea

This episode was made by other people right?
The eyes looked weird sometimes, exhausted, and the faces a little chubby
Spoiler for Weird face:
Old 2012-12-26, 16:03   Link #60
kuromitsu

To me they look a bit different in each episode, I kind of thought they were doing it on purpose...
Closed Thread