AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2004-10-14, 13:00   Link #81
spudman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kensuke
Director of this series (Akiyuki Shinbo) tells in Newtype's article that they basically build this series around Hazuki.
Akiyuki Shinbo... that probably explains why watching this reminded me of Le Portrait de Petit Cossette.
spudman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-10-14, 13:08   Link #82
Kaoru Chujo
Yuuki Aoi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ialdaboth
Didn't she say something like "Onisama wa watashi no mono yo" at the beginning of ep 2 ?
I think it's: "Kore-de, onii-sama watashi no mono yo." = "From this moment, big brother is mine." There may or may not be a tiny "wa" after "onii-sama." It's a recap from episode 1. Great line.

My favorite new series so far, too. Neko-mimi-vampire mode. The turns it takes in episode 2, and at the end of episode 2, make me think it is going to be many kinds of show in one. I hope they're all as interesting as the one we've seen so far.
Kaoru Chujo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-10-14, 14:20   Link #83
apr
Pedestrian

The line in question is:
これで、お兄様は私のものよ。
ie. kore de, onii-sama wa watashi no mono yo.

I believe the translation should be:
With this, you are mine.

Note however that "mono" means both item ( 物 ) and person ( 者 ), so someone with more knowledge of the Japanese language would probably be able to decipher whether the implication is "now you're my toy boy" or "now you're under my command", but perhaps the ambiguity makes it more amusing.

"kore de" has no relation to time, and simply means "through the action of biting you in the neck".

Edit: Bleh, I already regret this post. Let's see... I'm not a translator, so don't take anything I've said seriously. Also, I should probably admit that "kore de.." can be translated as "now" simply because the common English sentence would be "Now you're mine!" or whatever, but the whole "from now on" business should only be used if the Japanese starts out "kore kara". Alright? Thanks. Be gentle.

Last edited by apr; 2004-10-14 at 14:32. Reason: Argh?
apr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-10-14, 16:08   Link #84
daemoness
Slave to cuteness

Moe! Hazuki is so cute, she made me stop lurking! I love vampires and cuteness, so this show is great for me. And Seji is hot.

Most of the new shows this season seem good. *happy dance*
daemoness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-10-14, 17:15   Link #85
Ialdaboth

Quote:
Moe! Hazuki is so cute, she made me stop lurking!
lol
Maybe it would make a good slogan for promoting this series...
Ialdaboth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-10-14, 21:04   Link #86
zalas
tsubasa o sagashite

Send a message via ICQ to zalas
Quote:
lol
Maybe it would make a good slogan for promoting this series...
"Just think how much more social you will be once you watch this series!! It worked for me!! This is daemoness from the Social Club for Animesuki. Not only am I the vice president, I'm also a client!"
zalas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-10-14, 21:23   Link #87
TronDD
Team the box!

Well if they show show is supposed to be bringing out lurkers, I guess I have to comply, too.

w00t for neko loli goth.

I am already seeing a handful of Hazuki avatars.
TronDD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-10-14, 21:55   Link #88
daemoness
Slave to cuteness

We must all bow down to the power of cute. It's a law, isn't it?

Now I must go make my Tsukuyomi avatar.
daemoness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-10-15, 02:59   Link #89
Kensuke

I see a lot of Hazuki avatars and sigs already.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyuven
i saw that article! it's what made me want to watch the series...good decision
btw i think the strange perspective shifts of her age (i.e., in the bath and such) are done intentionally, and the cat ears are probably symbolic too (in the OP, she wears a few different colored ones including black and dark blue, and in the bath they're pink)
Heh... me too.
I noticed her age shifting too, sometimes she is drawn more mature and the next moment she is back to herself again. Well... she is a vampire so she could be any age, but stuck in little girls body, creepy...
It would be intresting to follow if she changes her cat ears debending her mood. But at this moment (after one episode) its too far-fetched to say have those cat ears any symbolic value.

Quote:
Originally Posted by spudman
Akiyuki Shinbo... that probably explains why watching this reminded me of Le Portrait de Petit Cossette.
Its not nearly as weird as Cossette (I only saw first episode before it was licensed), but I have to say that I love the directing, a lot of unusualy angles and weird stuff (in a good way), like those vines forming a border around screen and when camera moves, they move like they were stuck on screen. This was around 20:12.
Kensuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-10-15, 03:21   Link #90
dreamless
/Ultimate Magic Attack!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kensuke
Its not nearly as weird as Cossette (I only saw first episode before it was licensed), but I have to say that I love the directing, a lot of unusualy angles and weird stuff (in a good way), like those vines forming a border around screen and when camera moves, they move like they were stuck on screen. This was around 20:12.
If you like Akiyuki Shinbo's style, I highly recommend Soul Taker, it's quite weird, werider than Tsukiyomi, but the style is fantastic!

I first thought that Hazuki sometimes appear more mature because of the Luna/Hazuki personality switch... however it seems now that the Hazuki personality alone can appear scarily mature sometimes
dreamless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-10-15, 07:25   Link #91
Kensuke

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamless
If you like Akiyuki Shinbo's style, I highly recommend Soul Taker, it's quite weird, werider than Tsukiyomi, but the style is fantastic!
I know about Soul Taker, it has received very mixed reviews, and many had said that it is love it or hate it series. Some have mentioned Neon Genesis Evangelion and Serial Experiment Lain when they compare it to other series, and since both of those series are very high place in my list of best series, so I might like it, definitely worth checking.
Kensuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-10-15, 15:34   Link #92
Diaphanus
Usor Linguae Latinae

Quote:
Originally Posted by nekodar
To begin with, her name is Hazuki.
I'm surprised that nobody before has asked "'Hazuki' or 'Haduki'?" (Go to the Characters section and look at the file name of the Hazuki picture: "Haduki"!)

Modus Felinarum Auricularum!

Spoiler:

How cute!
Old 2004-10-15, 16:41   Link #93
Ialdaboth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diaphanus
I'm surprised that nobody before has asked "'Hazuki' or 'Haduki'?"
Reminds me of the "Kannaduki" (Kannazuki ? ) thread.

So, which one is correct ?
Old 2004-10-15, 17:52   Link #94
Spuffy
オウカ~

Both are. It just depends on what romanization system you use. Hepburn and Kunrei for 'zu' or Nippon for 'du'.
See this thread, http://forums.animesuki.com/showthre...t=19591&page=2

Last edited by Spuffy; 2004-10-15 at 17:52. Reason: spelling
Spuffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-10-15, 18:44   Link #95
Lina Inverse
SL Aki fanclub president

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wandering_Youth
It just me or that 2nd picture of her looked like she was older?
Yes, on the second pic she definitely looks much older there...
on the last two pics it's just the opposite, she looks much younger there...
Anyway, more of this please!
Lina Inverse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-10-15, 19:15   Link #96
Ialdaboth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spuffy
Both are. It just depends on what romanization system you use. Hepburn and Kunrei for 'zu' or Nippon for 'du'.
It's what I understood, too.

Hadzuki, then ?
Better not antagonize anyone...
Old 2004-10-15, 21:51   Link #97
apr
Pedestrian

The Japanese characters are basically built up from taking a consonant sound and modifying in five different ways, namely: a i u e o

In the case of the "k-sound" the result is ka ki ku ke ko. This far it's simple.
Now, through the Japanese way of thinking, you can then modify the consonant sound to make a softer sound, which in the case of "k" gives us "g" (guh, not jee). Result is then ga gi gu ge go.

Moving on the "t-case" we have a bit of a problem. The Japanese figured saying "tu" was unnatural, I guess, so it ended up sounding like "tsu", and in the case of "ti" it sounds like "chi". The very logical Japanese system still thought it was all a bunch of silly Western letters, so they didn't give a damn and went with defining the sound as "tu" and "ti" respectively, but in the English language, the respective sounds are still "tsu" and "chi" (as used in Hepburn's system).

When softening the case of "t-sound" we thus get da for ta, but with "tsu" we instead get what in English would be "zu". Amusingly, the Japanese seem to use the exact same sound for the softened case of "su" (ie, also "zu") _but in Japanese the original "hard" character defines which case of "zu" we get_. Yet because the Japanese system says the character is transcribed as "tu" to begin with, they made the softened version written "du" (like "ta" -> "da").

The word used in both cases mentioned in earlier posts is "tsuki" (moon), which then is pronounced in the soft version when it's combined with something in front of it (zuki), but in Japanese this is written as soft-tsu+ki. When transcribing this to Latin characters, we end up having to choose between either "zu" or "du" in this case, and since we're all obviously not Japanese, the correct way should be "zu", because it's the only way to understand how to pronounce the name in question, which is the purpose of the whole thing.

Thus, nekomimi girl is called Hazuki, and the lesbian priestess anime is called Kannazuki no Miko.

Some Japanese might clarify this post, if you have the fonts installed:

ka か - ga が
tsu つ - zu づ
su す - zu ず

There are some additional differences in these systems (ji / zi, ou / oh), but you'd do best in ignoring the Japanese system and using the spiffy Hepburn system if you want to transcribe something. If you're trying to convert from romaji to kana you're probably being an idiot anyway.

Note that it's 5 in the morning and I might have fudged things up.
Old 2004-10-15, 21:57   Link #98
Kyuven
Bishoujo Goodness Galore!

Quote:
It's what I understood, too.

Hadzuki, then ?
Better not antagonize anyone...
if you want to use a more verbal standpoint, it's Hazuki, "Haduki" is much too confusing for our american/british/whatever interpretation, since there is no "Du" SOUND in japanese, i believe it's because the hiragana used is づ which is entered along the chart as "du" (i even had to romaji it as "du" for my computer to show it) it is pronounced as "zu"
it's irregular, but all languages have irregularities
thus, phonetics dictate "Hazuki" but direct (and confusing) translation dictates "Haduki"
i think there was something similar in Yami to Boushi to Hon no Tabibito with Hazuki's name being translated as "Hatsuki" (which is pronounced completely different)

btw...looks like it's time to get a new avatar...one from Tsukuyomi...anyone makin any?
Kyuven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-10-16, 04:45   Link #99
otaku

Hazuki is so cute...!
Spoiler:
otaku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-10-16, 05:00   Link #100
nekodar
AC, NLA, HnK staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spuffy
See this thread, http://forums.animesuki.com/showthre...t=19591&page=2
Indeed. But a lot of people also forget that if you use one system for one name, then you should also use the same system for other names, and it's better in general to use what people recognize most.

And judging by that they use Hepburn for the title (Tsukuyomi) officially vs Kunrei or Nippon (Tukuyomi), I say Hepburn is the "official" romanization system for Moon Phase. It was also Tsukuyomi in the manga as far as I can remember.

Therefore Hazuki has to be the correct spelling, and other names should follow Hepburn as well

Last edited by nekodar; 2004-10-16 at 05:10.
nekodar is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fantasy, kemonomimi, seinen