AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2003-12-01, 02:56   Link #1
aahhsin

Yu-Gi-Oh!

Anyone actually give it a chance instead of saying

Oh Blah! Stupid card shit, it's anime like Pokemon I'm never going to watch that shit!! me like good anime like DBZ...

no offense, DBZ isn't that bad, i'm sure i've seen worse just nothing comes to mind.

Watch Yugioh people it's actually quite interesting seeing their rediculous card combos.

Dubbed might have been the problem. Subbed might be crazy....
Old 2003-12-01, 04:35   Link #2
GATX207_Blitz
Gobble Gobble

Send a message via MSN to GATX207_Blitz
I watched a few episodes both subbed and dubbed and well it really still was the same to me as in I disliked it because of the plot itself...There is a mind of someone who died long ago inside a small puzzle and yet he is not someone hwo is dead he is a living breathing thing that can take over someone's body and literally reshape it in size mass and height....this alone makes it seem kind of iffy, but then they decide the fate of the world through card games. I mean come on slips of cardboards are not going to save the world.

Something else bothers me the villains aren't really villains they announce everything they plan on doing ensuring their defeat and nothing ever comes to surprise. The dialogue kind of sucks too.

I play this blah then I play this and counter it blah poof I win by some card that never existed until this precise episode and you will never see this card ever again in another episode so hah. Rules say you can only have a limit of cards, but these guys seem to exceed that limit by far. In fact there are probably more cards that have been played then all the monsters in pokemon, digimon, and whatever other monster show was out during the monster show craze combined.

Well enough bashing... I think that this show was mainly intended for a younger audience and that is why I probably dislike it.

Ok I'm srry if I have offended anyone on this forum who reads this and happens to like the show because well it is still anime and people can like what they like so yea.

O and.....
I still don't understand why they purposely make the girls in shows for kids with busty chests.

hmm well I think I said I wanted to. Oh and it was never my intention to start an argument just to state my opinion of the show overall so plz don't start a post that says I'm all wrong and blah blah blah because your not going to get another post from me saying otherwise about it. I even wrote an apology for those that were offended so ok?
Old 2003-12-01, 10:51   Link #3
dmg022

Smile Probably just average...

I've watch all the way to the Noa Saga, ( I watch jap episodes with chinese sub titles ). Its not as good as some of the animes out there, but its decent. I play the card game, which is mainly the reason why I watch. The card game is pretty good too. I like the way the card game sort of involve the anime. ( I play the Jap card game, not the one created by the lame UDE ). Basically, I think the story is "so-so", the probably like it because of the card battles, maybe you have to understand the rules of the game, sometimes a certain combo will stun me, like, " why didn't i think of that? ", or sometimes I will try to predict what will happen later in the duel etc...
When watching ygo, never read spoilers or try the dubbed version, they will leave you saying things like, " yucks " or such.
Don't get me wrong, I wasn't offended, just trying to show some good points of this anime.
Old 2003-12-01, 13:55   Link #4
luffy

Send a message via MSN to luffy
yu gi oh

i know what you mean. when the cards were big i got some and the show helped me make a good deck, and how to play well.
anywase the showdoes have a pretty good story line i guess.
Old 2003-12-01, 14:25   Link #5
Superchop
Lord Sesshoumaru

I'm not a real big fan of the show...but i still watch it...not for the characters or the story line cause right now they're starting to piss me off...(I'm watching the dubbed version cause i'm not gonna spend time d/ling it or bother with it in any other way)..but the main reason i watch it and semi-like it is cause of the monsters...Some of them look pretty good and i just like to see the different variety of them...not saying i hate it but it's not my exactly on top of my lists of favorites

Edit: I think one of the main reasons the show is pretty bad in America is cause they're using the show to sell all the Yu-Gi-Oh merchandise...and nothing else...(almost like $3 for a pack of cards here in America...and i dont think it has more then 10 cards)...so they just water it down for little kids to enjoy while having the parents approve that kind of show for them to watch...
Old 2004-05-14, 01:17   Link #6
aahhsin

Yugioh

Anyone seen the Japanese first season? I was looking at the shonen jump and what I read is nothing like the cartoon.

Perverted humor
Dumbass Main character
Silly and rediculous

And the games are freaking crazy.

They should have left it this way, it'll turn heads. Everyone need to check out the first Yugioh season, before the card game.
Old 2004-05-14, 02:36   Link #7
Blue*Dragon

n0p, so far I only saw the japanese intros/endings from seizoens 1 till 6. However my classmate saw it a while ago when I didnt knew him
Old 2004-05-14, 08:18   Link #8
TechnoMage
Shoujo-Anime Member

Just as a note, the first series of Yu-Gi-Oh (Titled, *gasp* Yu-Gi-Oh), is actually not licensed, unlike the later series, Yu-Gi-Oh: Duel Monters. Unfortunatly, the only source of raws in existance would be Japanese VHS tapes (These can actually be more expensive then the R2 DVDs ~_~), so even if someone wanted to fansub it, the task of finding high quality raws (Or even raw sources) might be a little daunting.

The original series holds much more true to the story of the manga, so yes, it is quite dark compared to the later series. The original series is also 27 episodes long.

FYI, someone is fansubbing the original series... I just don't know who (I know the person, but no clue what group, and knowing the person won't help anyone here ^_^).

Note:
Yu-Gi-Oh: http://www.public.iastate.edu/~rllew/yugioh1.html
Yu-Gi-Oh: Duel Monters: http://www.public.iastate.edu/~rllew/yugioh2.html

Now, I know the pages aren't complete, but with the amount of sheer data on the site of different anime TV series, it's almost to be expected. As (a) proof that they are unrelated (Beyond being based on the same manga, and the things that this entails), the Production Company and Character Desigers should be enough--They are different for the 2 series. (Doing this also shows that FMP:Fumoffu is NOT a second season... But that's a whole new can of worms, and just something that gets to me sometimes. >.>). Of course, I'll won't bother mentioning all the story inconsistancies that would be present if this was just a previous season.

I hope this was useful.
Old 2004-05-14, 08:38   Link #9
Silver_Scorcher

Never thought anyone would start a thread about Yu-Gi-Oh. I've seen the first two episodes of the first season that never got aired in America. I love the opening. Very catchy. When Yugi transforms into that other guy, he's a complete bad ass. Nothing like what he is in the "American" version of duel monsters. However, whoever fansubbed it was a lousy translator. It's safe to say that the fansubber knows as much Japanese as I do, and that's not saying much cuz I can barely put a phrase together. Anyways I've seen articles and stuff of the first season, and yes it is a very dark series. It'll never make its way to North America, not that I really care. I'll admit that I was a little interested in duel monsters when it came out here a few years ago, but I got pissed off after a few episodes.
Old 2004-05-16, 03:08   Link #10
Blue*Dragon

I didnt thaught it either a thread about yugioh. however why did the american voices so crumpeling. Like a little boy has a voice of a 25 year old .

however, Dutch voices are the best from that there is on yugioh! (dont know about japan never saw it only the intros what I said before)
Old 2004-05-16, 03:12   Link #11
Kyuven
Bishoujo Goodness Galore!

10 years from now the "old" yu gi oh and the current yu gi oh will be rereleased uncut and unedited...think Robotech
Old 2004-05-16, 11:52   Link #12
Silver_Scorcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyuven
10 years from now the "old" yu gi oh and the current yu gi oh will be rereleased uncut and unedited...think Robotech
Yeah your probably right. They already did that for Dragonball Z (to an extent) so I guess it's possible with Yu-Gi-Oh too. What's next? Uncut versions of Pokemon and Beyblade?
Old 2004-05-16, 15:58   Link #13
White_Line

Send a message via AIM to White_Line
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue*Dragon
I didnt thaught it either a thread about yugioh. however why did the american voices so crumpeling. Like a little boy has a voice of a 25 year old .

however, Dutch voices are the best from that there is on yugioh! (dont know about japan never saw it only the intros what I said before)
LOL, I've been waiting for someone to say that! He does have a voice like a 25 year old. O__o; The American voices suck, but the Japanese ones are awesome...though I can't understand any of it.

~Don't watch the American version Yu-Gi-Oh.....it will scare you. I watch it for the animation. Nothing else.
Old 2004-05-17, 01:07   Link #14
Blue*Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by White_Line
LOL, I've been waiting for someone to say that! He does have a voice like a 25 year old. O__o; The American voices suck, but the Japanese ones are awesome...though I can't understand any of it.

~Don't watch the American version Yu-Gi-Oh.....it will scare you. I watch it for the animation. Nothing else.
Yeah you are right I shocked. I noticed when I bought the dvd eps of yugioh! where there was an english and a dutch version of it. Well because I only saw the dutch version on tv (luckely) I went to look to the english or america version what it also might be. And danm those voices are likely from bad payers 3the ranks voice actour

(DUTCH VERSION RULESZ)
Old 2004-08-08, 00:52   Link #15
aahhsin

Quote:
I dunno... After watching the English version for a long long time... (Since the beginning) I've grown accustomed and actually like the voice acting...

The only reason that you don't watch the American version is because it only airs once a week, and then after 26 episodes, it starts all over again... Sigh...

I can't watch episode after episode after episode.

Does anyone know how accurate the cartoon show is to the real card game?
Old 2004-08-08, 02:00   Link #16
Imazul

From what my friend told me, most of the stuff they do in the show is made-up and dont work that way.
Old 2004-08-08, 02:47   Link #17
bayoab

Quote:
Originally Posted by aahhsin
Does anyone know how accurate the cartoon show is to the real card game?
Grab one of the "Expert" Yu-Gi-Oh games and see... The cartoon basically breaks some of the rules and adds additional rules to the cards. So basically, not accurate.
Old 2004-08-09, 09:44   Link #18
Suikun

Quote:
You know, everyone always complains about how Yugi's voice in the English dub sounds like a 25 year old, but Jonouchi's voice in the Japanese version doesn't exactly make him sound like a high-school boy.

Honestly, I don't really like either version's voice acting as I think they both feature some VERY poor casting decisions.
Old 2004-09-30, 22:39   Link #19
Guido
Snobby Gentleman

It was a pleasure for me to work around my way through the last YuGiOh, Duel Monsters! season that finish its broadcast in Japan this week.

The Pharaoh Memories season was awesome in every sense, not only the music gave an epic mood of duel battling, but they also changed the duel system too.

I can't give away anything except that the American audience has to be patient and wait one more year for this season to air in USA.

Unfortunately, 4KIDS will make it sure to butcher it in anyways as possible, including the soundtrack played in each of the episodes.

Anyways, season five lasted the traditional 26 episodes format from episode 199 to episode 224.

It was good relief that the mangaka finished the manga before this season started, so that gave it enough room and ideas for the anime staff to do their homework just right for the last season.

If you're anxious for a bit spoiler, I will tell you this:
Spoiler:
Old 2004-09-30, 23:25   Link #20
Meatwad
Banned

mis post, please delete
Closed Thread