AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Haruhi Suzumiya

Notices

Old 2008-04-07, 21:02   Link #861
TheRainbowConnection

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tamekichi View Post
I don't think it seems much like Kyon is writing down his memoirs because he seems to write as the strange events are happening to him, and seems to write surprised and such. He also writes ambiguously about the future, and talks about hopes he has for future happenings. In that regard, it seems like he is just writing what he is thinking, and also according to this it doesn't seem like he is writing from the future, but instead just narrating.
I agree. Memoirs tend to be far more structured when you're reading it. The Haruhi novels lack a sense of thematic framing. In fact, they're pretty much narrated by Kyon as things are happening and with knowledge of what happens to him in the near future. In that respect, it almost seems as if Kyon's an actor doing the commentary track to a movie. (You know--those things that no one watches.) The action's going on, and commentator!Kyon gives us narration into his thoughts and other relevant commentary pertaining to the action.
TheRainbowConnection is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-07, 21:03   Link #862
Tyabann
Homo Ludens

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRainbowConnection View Post
I agree. Memoirs tend to be far more structured when you're reading it. The Haruhi novels lack a sense of thematic framing. In fact, they're pretty much narrated by Kyon as things are happening and with knowledge of what happens to him in the near future. In that respect, it almost seems as if Kyon's an actor doing the commentary track to a movie. (You know--those things that no one watches.) The action's going on, and commentator!Kyon gives us narration into his thoughts and other relevant commentary pertaining to the action.
I still like to think he's narrating the story to his kids or something...
Tyabann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-12, 04:38   Link #863
Silverwyrm

just finished reading volume 9 and I'm a little confused. Why was there two separate versions of each day, with entirely different happenings? (yet also similar experiences, eg: phone call in bathroom) Also, there was no conclusion to certain things, such as the weird phone call form someone he didn't know (also maybe connected to the student he somewhat recognized?) not to mention it was a very short volume. Just, unlike previous volumes I read this left me more just going "huh?"

Also, any idea when we will see another volume^^
Silverwyrm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-12, 06:33   Link #864
ganbaru
books-eater youkai

Don't worry, you're not alone.
ganbaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-12, 08:14   Link #865
PastPrime

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverwyrm View Post
just finished reading volume 9 and I'm a little confused. Why was there two separate versions of each day, with entirely different happenings? (yet also similar experiences, eg: phone call in bathroom) Also, there was no conclusion to certain things, such as the weird phone call form someone he didn't know (also maybe connected to the student he somewhat recognized?) not to mention it was a very short volume. Just, unlike previous volumes I read this left me more just going "huh?"

Also, any idea when we will see another volume^^
The timeline split with the phone call. The common beleif is that the wierd phone call is from the student you mentioned and that she is the slider who has finally arrived. And she will help merge the timelines again. Given the name of the next volume, I suspect that in at least one of the timelines Kyon is going to have to use his trump card.
PastPrime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-12, 13:56   Link #866
Tyabann
Homo Ludens

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverwyrm View Post
Wasn't that short, it just had less chapters. The prologue was massive and each chapter was doubled in size.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PastPrime View Post
The timeline split with the phone call. The common beleif is that the wierd phone call is from the student you mentioned and that she is the slider who has finally arrived. And she will help merge the timelines again. Given the name of the next volume, I suspect that in at least one of the timelines Kyon is going to have to use his trump card.
Bingo.
Old 2008-04-12, 17:52   Link #867
Tamekichi
流離っている

Quote:
Originally Posted by PastPrime View Post
The common beleif is that the wierd phone call is from the student you mentioned
Wait, what student? Refresh my memory here.
Tamekichi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-12, 18:03   Link #868
Tyabann
Homo Ludens

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tamekichi View Post
Wait, what student? Refresh my memory here.
The girl who calls Kyon in the alphaverse. She appears to have met him before, and sound familiar to him, though he doesn't really recognize her voice.

She (presumably, it's her, though we're not sure) later shows up at the SOS Brigade Recruitment meeting, and pays rapt attention to Haruhi's speech. Kyon comments that she seems familiar in some way.

As the only type of supernatural being that Haruhi mentioned way back when is that has not shown up yet is a slider, it makes sense that the girl is, indeed, a slider.

Some people, myself included, think that she may be an alternate, older version of Kyon's Sister.
Old 2008-04-13, 00:30   Link #869
Silverwyrm

that makes more sense, and now that I think about it, when Kyon first counted students he counted 4 girls and 7 boys, but after grabbing chairs there was 5 girls, but none of them felt like someone he didn't notice, this was very clearly stated. So again, I bet it something to do with that "familiar girl"
Old 2008-04-13, 15:22   Link #870
siber222000
미, 미, 미 미쿠루빔~!!!

just a quick question, i might buy novel or manga for haruhi suzumiya. so far seems like novel is up to 9 volumes while manga is 5 volumes (korean translated versions that is)which one is more fun to read? o_O? and 2nd season is goin to be on novel right? not manga.
Old 2008-04-13, 15:48   Link #871
Tyabann
Homo Ludens

Quote:
Originally Posted by siber222000 View Post
just a quick question, i might buy novel or manga for haruhi suzumiya. so far seems like novel is up to 9 volumes while manga is 5 volumes (korean translated versions that is)which one is more fun to read? o_O? and 2nd season is goin to be on novel right? not manga.
Buy the novels. The manga is decent in its own way, but diverges from the novels a lot.

And yes, second season will be on the novels, though I'd like to see some of the manga chapters animated too...
Old 2008-04-15, 08:09   Link #872
ijuinkun

I for one think that the chapter "Knowing You, Knowing Me" would make a good Mikuru character development chapter.
ijuinkun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-15, 12:08   Link #873
Tyabann
Homo Ludens

Quote:
Originally Posted by ijuinkun View Post
I for one think that the chapter "Knowing You, Knowing Me" would make a good Mikuru character development chapter.
That's exactly what I was thinking of...

Heck, I might even genderbend that one, for kicks.
Old 2008-04-15, 21:27   Link #874
ijuinkun

A genderbent version would be cool to see--what sort of date would male Mikuru want with Kyonko?
ijuinkun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-15, 23:35   Link #875
dkellis
illusion control
*Author

Send a message via ICQ to dkellis Send a message via AIM to dkellis Send a message via MSN to dkellis
Quote:
Originally Posted by ijuinkun View Post
A genderbent version would be cool to see--what sort of date would male Mikuru want with Kyonko?
In my draft, they went to the arcade.
dkellis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-16, 00:08   Link #876
Tyabann
Homo Ludens

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkellis View Post
In my draft, they went to the arcade.
Wait, you wrote a draft for that story?

Awesome. Do you still have it?
Old 2008-04-16, 00:14   Link #877
dkellis
illusion control
*Author

Send a message via ICQ to dkellis Send a message via AIM to dkellis Send a message via MSN to dkellis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaisos Erranon View Post
Wait, you wrote a draft for that story?

Awesome. Do you still have it?
Kind of. It stalled somewhere around the time Kyonko meets Itsuko, when I got distracted, and now I can't remember how I planned to genderbend the original Kyon's SEETHING HAET for Itsuki interrupting his maybe-date.

I'm thinking of rewriting some of the earlier bits anyway. I had Yuuki turn up in the arcade pwning people at DDR, but there's a big Note To Self staring me in the face to make it clear that the game is DDR, but not actually name it as DDR.

Also, either Kyonko and Mitsuru play whack-a-mole (and Mitsuru gets completely flustered), or they go head-to-head on some fighting game and Kyonko pounds Mitsuru into the dust.
dkellis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-16, 00:19   Link #878
DJ_RockmanX
性転換 団長

Send a message via AIM to DJ_RockmanX Send a message via MSN to DJ_RockmanX
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkellis View Post
Kind of. It stalled somewhere around the time Kyonko meets Itsuko, when I got distracted, and now I can't remember how I planned to genderbend the original Kyon's SEETHING HAET for Itsuki interrupting his maybe-date.

I'm thinking of rewriting some of the earlier bits anyway. I had Yuuki turn up in the arcade pwning people at DDR, but there's a big Note To Self staring me in the face to make it clear that the game is DDR, but not actually name it as DDR.

Also, either Kyonko and Mitsuru play whack-a-mole (and Mitsuru gets completely flustered), or they go head-to-head on some fighting game and Kyonko pounds Mitsuru into the dust.
I completely approve, but don't these posts go in our thread or the fanfiction thread?

DJ_RockmanX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-16, 01:08   Link #879
Aebliss
Story Master

Send a message via AIM to Aebliss
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaisos Erranon View Post
The girl who calls Kyon in the alphaverse. She appears to have met him before, and sound familiar to him, though he doesn't really recognize her voice.

She (presumably, it's her, though we're not sure) later shows up at the SOS Brigade Recruitment meeting, and pays rapt attention to Haruhi's speech. Kyon comments that she seems familiar in some way.
Hunh. Weird. I thought that the girl who appeared in the clubroom was a cloaked or otherwise disguised version of Kuyoh. If she managed to hide her Canopy Domain aura, she could get close to study Haruhi and plant a destructive factor in Nagato, or whatever it is that's been done to her to make her fall ill again.
Aebliss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-16, 08:01   Link #880
Silverwyrm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aebliss View Post
Hunh. Weird. I thought that the girl who appeared in the clubroom was a cloaked or otherwise disguised version of Kuyoh. If she managed to hide her Canopy Domain aura, she could get close to study Haruhi and plant a destructive factor in Nagato, or whatever it is that's been done to her to make her fall ill again.
As of now Kuyoh's Speech is awkward and her movements jerky, they would have noticed something was funny if it was her. I doubt she would have changed so dramatically in such little time

Tags
shounen, sneaker bunko, seinen, light novels, manga