AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Macross > Past Macross Series

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2008-04-15, 18:11   Link #61
Onizuka-GTO
Holy Beast ~Wuff!~
*Scanlator

Send a message via MSN to Onizuka-GTO
don't forget immortals. C.C looks 17-ish but she's at leased 200yrs old.

Old 2008-04-16, 00:02   Link #62
Westlo
Lets be reality

Back to the title of Episode 5

Spoiler:
Old 2008-04-16, 01:19   Link #63
DonQuigleone
Knight Errant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onizuka-GTO View Post
don't forget immortals. C.C looks 17-ish but she's at leased 200yrs old.

If you'd want to have a body at any age, wouldn't 17 be one of the best choices?

Suffice to say, on most occasions that don't involve schools of some kind, it's exceedingly difficult to tell a characters age. I always thought Yoko was at least 16.
Old 2008-04-16, 06:19   Link #64
brightman
Ancient Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by donquigleone View Post
Suffice to say, on most occasions that don't involve schools of some kind, it's exceedingly difficult to tell a characters age. I always thought Yoko was at least 16.
That's why you look for official bios...

CC proves that you really can't judge age by what the characters look like, just like you can't in real life sometimes...
Old 2008-04-20, 01:51   Link #65
orion
Waiting for more taiyuki!

Quote:
If you'd want to have a body at any age, wouldn't 17 be one of the best choices?

Yoko's age was a big shock for me since she had the body of an 17-18 yo. I was also laughing at the thread when that came out and the dodging that Gainax did when they were confronted about this at a con. I'm waiting to see what Bandai Ent. does with this.
Old 2008-04-20, 07:20   Link #66
DonQuigleone
Knight Errant

How did Gainax dodge it? I don't really feel like trawling through the forum
Old 2008-04-20, 07:46   Link #67
Westlo
Lets be reality

Gainax said that in her area time was counted differently or something along those lines, it was met with massive cheers I think..
Old 2008-04-20, 14:25   Link #68
DonQuigleone
Knight Errant

Awesome, And here I thought that otaku thought younger= better.
Old 2008-04-21, 02:07   Link #69
vision33r
Oldskool Otaku

I think Sheryl finds Altoh interesting because he is a "pretty" boy. Romantically, I think it will never happen their personalities are too strong.

In Ep 3, Sheryl actually showed Altoh a thing or two about taking charge through diversity.

Most likely it involves Altoh and Ranka later on as there already signs of him showing care and interest in Ranka.
Old 2008-04-21, 02:17   Link #70
Westlo
Lets be reality

Dude Macross tradition, the OP song name, the first line in the op song (Who are you going to kiss) and all my experience reading/watching shounen/shoujo romance anime/manga points to a triangle. Read the lyrics for the OP/ED, keep in mind these songs were made for this show and are not the latest release from a jpop/jrock band who want to push their newest single.

For Sheryl and Alto they have sparks flying between them, they got the classic "I can't stand this guy"/"this girls a complete bitch" thing going on just like in the original Macross between Hikaru and Hayase. I don't need to point out what happened between them in the end do I?
Old 2008-04-21, 05:07   Link #71
Onizuka-GTO
Holy Beast ~Wuff!~
*Scanlator

classic love/hate relationship

as they say, "where sparks fly, beware of fire."

Old 2008-04-21, 11:07   Link #72
NoOneKnowS
Who am I?

I'm really liking Sheryl in this show. I hope she gets Alto in the end. Sorry for Ranaka lover's; I just can't dig cutesy girls who does cutesy stuff.
Old 2008-04-21, 11:58   Link #73
vision33r
Oldskool Otaku

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westlo View Post
Dude Macross tradition, the OP song name, the first line in the op song (Who are you going to kiss) and all my experience reading/watching shounen/shoujo romance anime/manga points to a triangle. Read the lyrics for the OP/ED, keep in mind these songs were made for this show and are not the latest release from a jpop/jrock band who want to push their newest single.

For Sheryl and Alto they have sparks flying between them, they got the classic "I can't stand this guy"/"this girls a complete bitch" thing going on just like in the original Macross between Hikaru and Hayase. I don't need to point out what happened between them in the end do I?
Well, this is't shoujo anime. I believe the triangle is there just to spice up the series. But the writings are everywhere that Altoh and Ranka are destined for something while Sheryl is playing the distraction role. Kind of similar to Macross Plus, where you have Isamu and Myung but that hot blonde chick Lucy is their distraction.

From their dialogues, it seems Sheryl is too much for a young righteous guy like Altoh and she obviously is the bossy ambtious type, not the minmei type.
Old 2008-04-21, 12:14   Link #74
Westlo
Lets be reality

I don't know why you ignore 4 of my 5 points but whatever.. Seriously man... you haven't noticed the similarities between Hayase and Sheryl? Imo it's no coincidence that the Frontier crew member attached to Sheryl is a Misa lookalike. As for the Plus comment if Sheryl is Lucy than who's Guld? If you flip their genders Sheryl = Isamu.

Btw what role is Sheryl playing if Ranka is the destined one for Alto and is also the one connected to the Varja? Why is a "distraction" listed second on the cast list in the credits? (Goes Alto, Sheryl, Ranka) Because her VA is a bigger name/established? If that sort of thing was done than Miyano Mamoru's character in Soul Eater be listed as the top since the two leads are played by newcomers.

Seriously I haven't seen a Sheryl fan completely discount Ranka yet some Ranka fans seem to be doing that to Sheryl already. I have no idea why since all signs point to a triangle that will be awesome and go down to the wire.

Quote:
From their dialogues, it seems Sheryl is too much for a young righteous guy like Altoh and she obviously is the bossy ambtious type, not the minmei type.
Who won in Macross? The bossy ambitious type or Minmei?
Old 2008-04-21, 12:41   Link #75
ZODDGUTS

Hmm not sure if I'll happen again in this series. Not that I care as to who wins but I wouldn't be surprise if they'll have the other female lead (Ranka) win this time. Like the OP song says Who will you kiss? (Alto) Who will you kiss?
Old 2008-04-21, 12:49   Link #76
Westlo
Lets be reality

Even though I would like a similar outcome I don't think the ending of the original series will have any bearing on the result of this series (sorry Minmei fans who think they are "owed" one) but it's just hilarious that some Ranka fans are saying the following stuff. Sheryl's too bossy, being too much of a bitch to Alto, too mature for him etc. It's like they haven't even seen the original series...

Last edited by Westlo; 2008-04-21 at 13:59.
Old 2008-04-21, 16:05   Link #77
Cadorna

Send a message via MSN to Cadorna
Quote:
Originally Posted by Westlo View Post
Even though I would like a similar outcome I don't think the ending of the original series will have any bearing on the result of this series (sorry Minmei fans who think they are "owed" one) but it's just hilarious that some Ranka fans are saying the following stuff. Sheryl's too bossy, being too much of a bitch to Alto, too mature for him etc. It's like they haven't even seen the original series...
totally rigth man , i m with you, i like the bossy womana type, Misa and Sheryl FTW
Old 2008-04-21, 16:25   Link #78
DonQuigleone
Knight Errant

Independent YES, Bossy, I don't know... for now I'm in the Ranka camp. Barring character development I'll stay there, I'd go over to Sheryl if she showed a more "caring" side.

@vision3rr: I think the director or something of the original Macross described it as a "Love Triangle set in the midst of Great Battles" or something like that.
Old 2008-04-21, 16:42   Link #79
Westlo
Lets be reality

Quote:
Independent YES, Bossy, I don't know... for now I'm in the Ranka camp. Barring character development I'll stay there, I'd go over to Sheryl if she showed a more "caring" side.
Sheryl will probably end up the most developed charater in the show. Also it's only a matter of time until we see her go dere dere for Alto, as for a caring side she seems to care for Ranka quite a bit.

Quote:
@vision3rr: I think the director or something of the original Macross described it as a "Love Triangle set in the midst of Great Battles" or something like that.
Some Ranka fans are just in denial, watch them argue against this.
Old 2008-04-21, 17:42   Link #80
Onizuka-GTO
Holy Beast ~Wuff!~
*Scanlator

well, if orma dies, then the chances of sheryl finish will be high, however if the annoying shouta pilot kid dies, it'll throw all bets off. personally hopes this is the case.

Tags
characters