Closed Thread

Old 2007-11-03, 18:46   Link #1
Arngrin

Dark suggestions @_@

LIST UPDATED: I need more!!

Hey there guys ^^!

I'm looking for animes that contain these elements:

- Dark Enviromented (not a requirement)
- Male protagonists (if possible, or a strong lead like in black lagoon)
- Violent
- More oriented through psycological drama (not a requirement) or a really catchy storyline
- Not cute (No Kawaii neko chan stuff)
- Preferably not gay (Like X)

Things i have already seen and Liked and didn't like:

Liked:

Black Lagoon, Trinity Blood, Death Note, Elfen Lied, Basilisk, Evangelion, Chrono Crusade, Last Exile, Full Metal Alchemist, Saikano, Gantz, Hellsing, Witch Hunter Robin, Monster, Berserk, GunGrave, Texhnolyze, Claymore, Mononoke, Eden of the East, Blame(sorta of weird tho), Shigurui, Trust & Betrayal

Didnīt like:
Gunslinger Girl, X, Bleach, Fate Stay Night, Serial Experiments Lain, Haibane Henmai (wtf was up with that anime anyways?!), Ergo Proxy, Saber Marionnet J, Black Blood Brothers, Cavalier, Earth Sea, Cowboy Bebop, Higurashi no Naku Koro Ni, Baccano!, Gankutsou, Shingetsutan Tsukihime, Rahxephon, Mnemosyne

So So:
Kurozuka, Code Geass

So.. please, suggestions

Thanks!

Last edited by Arngrin; 2009-07-04 at 05:35.
Old 2007-11-03, 19:29   Link #2
Echoes

You're missing out on a lot of good animes if you limit yourself to only male protagonists. Still, I think I can name a few.

The obvious title missing on your list seems to be Hellsing. I'd recommend the Hellsing Ultimate series over the 13 episode one, but they're both good animes.

For something that's not particularly dark, try Cowboy Bebop. It's pretty much a must-see, and meets all the other requirements on your list.
Old 2007-11-03, 19:33   Link #3
Arngrin

Hi Echoes,

sorry i forgot to mention those 2 animes. I saw both already. Hellsing was decent but i didn't really like the style. About Cowboy Bebop well... ... no!

Edit: List updated ^^ Also female protagonists are OK, i would just prefer male ones
Old 2007-11-03, 20:01   Link #4
jedinat

Noir - dark and fairly violent, but with female protagonists.
Shingetsutan Tsukihime - dark, and a little violent. male protagonist.
Both of those have some psychological drama as well.
Old 2007-11-03, 23:53   Link #5
goddessofheaven

trinity blood?
Old 2007-11-04, 00:59   Link #6
Echoes

You hated Cowboy Bebop? I question your taste, sir! Just kidding, but really though, that is one hell of a show.

Since you've broadened your request, I'll recommend Claymore. It has plenty of action, but the plot and characters are really what make the show. It's relatively violent. I found it to be an excellent anime, and the setting is certainly dark. Female protagonist.

Mayhaps you'd enjoy Rahxephon as well. It is fairly similar to Evangelion. I found it less amazing, but there are plenty of people who'll beg to differ.
Old 2007-11-04, 01:54   Link #7
-MotokoAoyama-
*Artist

I'd suggest Higurashi no Naku Koro Ni, but not exactly sure if it matches your description
- Dark Environmented (yes, it is quite dark)
- Male protagonists (for the most part the story revolves around a male protagonist, although later on a female character becomes very prominent)
- Violent but not too violent (it is quite violent. I'm not exactly sure what you would qualify as "too violent", but expect some bloody deaths in children for this one)
- More oriented through psycological drama (it is VERY psychological) or a really catchy storyline (I personally think the storyline is catchy, but you need patience for this one)
- Not cute (for the most part not cute, but occasionally the characters would dress cute as a punishment for losing card games. The younger characters' design is quite loli, so to speak, and one character uses a nonsense word a lot. Cuteness is not the main emphasis, but it is there occasionally)
- Preferably not gay (it is not gay, haha)
Old 2007-11-04, 02:01   Link #8
Echoes

Yes. I felt like I was forgetting something. Except for being cute at times (it is quite a unique anime, so I don't think you'll mind), Higurashi is a perfect match. Considered it strongly seconded.
Old 2007-11-06, 16:29   Link #9
Arngrin

Ok so...

We watched Higurashi no Naku Koro Ni .
It was disturbing allright but.. wth is this, that thing had no answer's in the last chapter, a lot of things didnt make much sense and now i have this.. "empty feeling" on the inside like.. "uhm.. what?"

Gonna try Claymore soon but.. >_<... whats the meaning of this anime anyways?
Old 2007-11-06, 17:04   Link #10
NightSamurai

Witch Hunter Robin seems to fit the criteria pretty well. Instead of relying upon my fickle memory to try and describe it I will just give a link.

http://www.litepeek.com/index.php?/a...-Robin-TV.html
Old 2007-11-06, 18:10   Link #11
Arngrin

eeeek WHR is another one i forgot to list. I watched that one ages ago. Good show
Old 2007-11-06, 20:19   Link #12
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Give Mononoke a try; it has much of what you're looking for. Pretty awesome male protagonist, too.
Old 2007-11-06, 20:52   Link #13
White Manju Bun
Anxious bookseller
*Author

I agree with Mononoke and start Higurashi Kai which helps answer the stuff left in the first season. And of course my main stay Ghost Hunt.
- 11th Doctor.

Sig by TheEroKing
Old 2007-11-06, 21:16   Link #14
Tri-ring

How about "Monster" by Urasawa Naoki, it is bound to know your socks off.
Old 2007-11-06, 23:44   Link #15
tbl
Affably Evil

I'd suggest Gantz, but you said not too violent.
Destroy. Destroy. Destroy. Slowly, completely, gently beyond comparison, cruelly to the point of numbness, I'll violate your life. That's right. The instant I rip off your limbs, tear open your rib and pull out your intestines, biting into your neck as you scream in agony, chewing through your eyes as I ignore your pleas for mercy and spreading your brains on the ground like butter! I am sane, well more or less

Old 2007-11-07, 10:48   Link #16
Frans

Maybe you could try GunGrave and Speed Grapher. Speed Grapher is darker and more violent, but GunGrave for me is the better anime.
Old 2007-11-07, 15:33   Link #17
Skyfall
Lost in my dreams...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arngrin View Post
Ok so...

We watched Higurashi no Naku Koro Ni .
It was disturbing allright but.. wth is this, that thing had no answer's in the last chapter, a lot of things didnt make much sense and now i have this.. "empty feeling" on the inside like.. "uhm.. what?"

Gonna try Claymore soon but.. >_<... whats the meaning of this anime anyways?
The reason first season of Higurashi didn't answer the questions is because there is a second season, currently ongoing. I suggest you pick that up to follow the story to conclusion.

And unless i am missing something, i don't see Noein being mentioned. It is pretty dark all right and quite psychological, though it doesn't lack action either. SciFi/action. The art style is rather unique though, people either hate it or love it.
Old 2007-11-26, 19:29   Link #18
Arngrin

Hi there,

so i've watched Berserk and really enjoyed the show even tho the animation is a bit outdated. (i was reading the manga, too)

Now looking for stuff similar to Claymore & Berserk.

Currently i'm watching Rahxelphon but i can't really seem to get into it. It seems to be too much of an EVA Clone to me. So i feel like dropping it.
I also don't feel like watching Sci-Fi Anime atm.

Well, i'm looking forward to more suggestions! ^^
Old 2007-11-26, 20:03   Link #19
Deus ex Digital Boy
21st Century Digital Boy

Much as a absolutely CRINGEd at the anime you dislike, I think you would absolutely love Gankutsuou. It's dark, goth, beautiful, suspenseful, and downright addicting, and The Count is a badass among badasses.
Old 2007-11-27, 11:29   Link #20
Honey_and_Cleaver

itchi the killer, there you go kid, dark as the pictch black of nothingness
Closed Thread

Tags
dark themed, male protagonist