AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Valkyria Chronicles

Notices

View Poll Results: Valkyria Chronicles - Total Series Rating
Perfect 10 3 3.70%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 6 7.41%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 15 18.52%
7 out of 10 : Good 10 12.35%
6 out of 10 : Average 18 22.22%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 9 11.11%
4 out of 10 : Poor 11 13.58%
3 out of 10 : Bad 5 6.17%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 4 4.94%
Voters: 81. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2009-10-09, 23:14   Link #21
Death Header
*Graphic Designer

The Good:
- Nice animation and artwork.
- Good OP and ED Themes.
- A surprisingly radical change compared to the video game in every way.

The Bad:
- Could have had more episodes to explain any missed out plots. The ending kinda felt rushed and I felt that the directors could have expanded some points in this series that could've been expanded. (26 episodes is too short for this imo).
- The Love Triangle could have been removed entirely altogether, especially for a series this short. If the directors wanted a love triangle, they should've made the series longer (which refers to my first point).
- Series could've used more groundbreaking action. Sure we had some good action here and there but for an anime like this we really could have used more.
- Lack of Edelweiss T_T
- Certain characters could've been developed way more. I felt that random characters were thrown there for absolutely no reason and the director neglected some of the more important characters in this series. Heck, even Ramal had good enough potential to be expanded until the directors got him killed for no reason.

I give this series a 5/10. Series had potential but as the series went on most things just fell flat on its face. (I'm not comparing this to the video game)
Old 2009-10-10, 08:37   Link #22
DragoZERO
Spoilaphobic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yu Ominae View Post
http://www.valkyria-anime.com/specia...821/index.html

Here's the overall vote on the characters of VC based on the show.
The pig got 10!?
Old 2009-10-10, 09:02   Link #23
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author

Hey hey, don't underestimate the winged pig. :3

I myself am more surprised at the complete absence of Rosie even though '5 lines in the anime' characters like Edy and Marina made it in the top 10.
Old 2009-10-10, 10:23   Link #24
KariOhki

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keroko View Post
I myself am more surprised at the complete absence of Rosie even though '5 lines in the anime' characters like Edy and Marina made it in the top 10.
Nah, Rosie's there at number 15.
Old 2009-10-10, 11:27   Link #25
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author

Ahh, sorry, I meant the complete absence of Rosie in the top 10.
Old 2009-10-10, 11:31   Link #26
SoggySoyBean
Squishie

I think I'm choking on bacon. And is that Zaka at 11? :O He's out-ranking...
Old 2009-10-10, 14:56   Link #27
justinstrife

Send a message via AIM to justinstrife
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yu Ominae View Post
http://www.valkyria-anime.com/specia...821/index.html

Here's the overall vote on the characters of VC based on the show.
So even though Fabio had 70% of the airtime, Welkin still beat him?
Old 2009-10-10, 15:10   Link #28
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author

He shot Alicia. That cost him points.
Old 2009-10-11, 11:57   Link #29
KariOhki

I mentioned in my other post in this topic how my mom was watching the anime with me without knowledge of the game. Well, she finished watching today and gave the anime a 9.5/10, points off for "too many characters to keep track of"

Can't wait to show her the game.
Old 2009-10-11, 23:46   Link #30
SoggySoyBean
Squishie

Quote:
Originally Posted by KariOhki View Post
I mentioned in my other post in this topic how my mom was watching the anime with me without knowledge of the game. Well, she finished watching today and gave the anime a 9.5/10, points off for "too many characters to keep track of"

Can't wait to show her the game.
Woah yoor mom watches anime? :O

Best of luck Hope you too enjoy it as much as I did Christmas right?
Old 2009-10-11, 23:56   Link #31
Yu Ominae
ARCAM Spriggan agent

Send a message via Yahoo to Yu Ominae
At least two of my favorites girls are in the top 10 list.

Even if we were at odds with each other, I still thank you for training me, Instructor Bowman - Yu Ominae, reflecting on Bowman's death after killing him in Phantom Island
Old 2009-10-12, 10:36   Link #32
KariOhki

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoggySoyBean View Post
Woah yoor mom watches anime? :O

Best of luck Hope you too enjoy it as much as I did Christmas right?
VC was the first anime that she's seen all the way through. We're gonna watch Vandread together when I'm home again. And yup, getting a PS3 for Christmas so I can finally play my copy of VC
Old 2009-10-12, 14:51   Link #33
cloner4000

Probably the major complaint is the ending where it seems like they would go through the effort of developing characters but then did not go through and ends at a very sudden notes...

Of coarse though, at the same time it's nice to see other side characters making appearances.

While I agree that they changing the plot is good and show some difference..but I really really thought that some part they took out are too symbolic and touching that they shouldn't have taken it out.

But as a VC fanboy I definitely enjoyed it 100%
Old 2009-10-20, 00:25   Link #34
shaolinx
Kani Fascination

I really enjoyed the series, with each episode making me want to watch the next. The animation is really unique and fresh, specially how they shaded all the colors except for the face to show shadow.

The problem that I have with the series is that some characters gets pretty annoying. Especially Welkin... He got really painful to watch near the upper half of the series, but thankfully, he redeemed himself at the end.

Lastly, if the anime didn't have a game predecessor with a good ending, I would be sufficed with the anime's ending(it is alot better then many other series). BUT it does have a predecessor, thus the ending of the anime lacked in many details that made the game ending so wonderful.

Overall 9/10
Old 2009-10-21, 18:38   Link #35
kraken

It's me or the anime is rated as one of the worth show of the 3 last years with Shuffle Memories?
Old 2009-10-22, 14:25   Link #36
RWBladewing
Salt Levels Critical

Quote:
Originally Posted by kraken View Post
It's me or the anime is rated as one of the worth show of the 3 last years with Shuffle Memories?
Not sure about the accuracy of that but it is interesting to note that this series has apparently not generated even a single 10-voting fanboy. I think this is the only subforum series on the site with that distinction. Granted, this thread hasn't been open that long, but compare this with Regios, which has fewer overall votes and was an absolute steaming pile (my rating of 5 was far too generous in hindsight), yet still has multiple 10 votes, and it doesn't really cast this series in a very positive light.
Old 2009-10-22, 20:10   Link #37
kraken

Quote:
Originally Posted by KariOhki View Post
VC was the first anime that she's seen all the way through. We're gonna watch Vandread together when I'm home again. And yup, getting a PS3 for Christmas so I can finally play my copy of VC
For me, the next anime I am going to watch with my mother is Air (As I am doing a sequel to the anime, she need to show it before we watch it).

I am happy to see I am not the only one who watch anime with my mother (we watched the miyasaki anime, Death note, Higurashi, Macross Zero, Fate stay night, Valkyria and Kanon until now)
Old 2009-10-26, 06:53   Link #38
Forever
Revealing the truth

I gave it a 6.5/10 rounding it to a 7. Lots of potential, but wasted towards the end. Needs a Fabio spinoff though.
Old 2010-02-11, 17:21   Link #39
ViewtifulAlchemist

I finished the game a while ago and thought it would be nice to watch the anime adaption just to get more of the VC world. Random thoughts...

- OP/ED were very weak. The 1st OP just really screamed out "generic". 2nd OP was a bad case of trying too hard to be exciting and epic. I think it's a bad sign if an OPs can't even hook me in and I'm very lenient on OPs. ED1 was the only one I didn't mind watching a few times mainly just to see chibi versions of the characters (chibi Selvaria cooking = lulz).

- Some of the character models looked weird during the first half of the series, Isara's eyes were HUUUGE and spaced out funny in proportion to her face. A lot of scenes she was in look like those "QUALITY" pics you see on 2chan or something at times. I thought Selvaria looked much better in the game than in the anime.

- I don't know how the perspective of someone who hasn't played the game first and watching this anime would be but I think they would probably be confused at some of the extra side characters and some of their moments onscreen would seem pointless. Like me I personally got excited whenever Marina was onscreen and even more when she actually sniped something. Also watching Vyse getting killed off so quickly after being introduced was kind of funny in a cruel way.

- They downplayed or ruined a lot of great moments in the game in the anime imo
Spoiler:

-The few changes I did like (or almost liked)
Spoiler:

For the most it seems if the anime just stucked with the game's plot it would be fine which is odd because Gungrave (another Sega game first turned anime) was a good series mainly because the anime counterpart changed quite a few things from the original game's plot.

Decent start, bad finish. 7/10.
--

Last edited by ViewtifulAlchemist; 2010-02-20 at 15:01.
Old 2010-03-06, 05:32   Link #40
Boduar

Things that seemed to ruin it for me were

A. Love triangle that made me facepalm over both faldio and welkin for the entire second half of the show. Went from liking them to hating them.

B. Maximillian ... you know I really thought there would be something that would evoke something out of me from this guy. Instead he just comes off an a nutter who dies an insignificant death. I mean the fact he did not care for ANY of his comrades just makes him ridiculously 1-sided generic bad guy where in the first half of the show you saw some of the nice sides to the "bad guys". Was hoping for an ending where I actually felt kind of sorry that they end up losing because of X or Y or Z instead of being like well its nice they died because he seems like a giant douche.
Closed Thread