AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Shana

Notices

View Poll Results: Shana S OVA - Episode 01 Rating
Perfect 10 28 37.84%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 21 28.38%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 15 20.27%
7 out of 10 : Good 6 8.11%
6 out of 10 : Average 1 1.35%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 1 1.35%
4 out of 10 : Poor 1 1.35%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 1 1.35%
Voters: 74. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2009-10-28, 08:39   Link #41
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Very clever, cute, and charming episode!

Like Game 8910, I also found Shana-Yuji more manly than normal Yuji, and Yuji-Shana more moe than normal Shana. I guess that this just goes to show that Shana really does have a very tomboy personality... whereas Yuji's personality is a bit feminine in some ways, perhaps.

Shana handled being in Yuji's body better than I thought she would. She seemed to be strictly concerned with making sure Yuji didn't, well, take advantage of his new body.

Last edited by Triple_R; 2009-10-28 at 09:04.
Old 2009-10-28, 09:13   Link #42
Marcus H.
Princess or Plunderer?

Spoiler for reshuffle event!:
Spring 2023: Yamada-kun to Lv999 no Koi wo Suru, Kuma Kuma Kuma Bear Punch! (4/12), Skip to Loafer, Tonikaku Kawaii S2 (1/12), Otonari ni Ginga (5/12) and Kimi wa Houkago Insomnia (3/13).

Contact me on Wikia and MyAnimeList.
Anime List Status ~ Watching: 33. Completed: 468. Plan to watch: 39.
Old 2009-10-28, 17:45   Link #43
minhtam1638
Missing In Action

Send a message via AIM to minhtam1638
Quote:
Originally Posted by Race View Post
This was a great episode imo. Shana laughing at the end was too cute..

Has anyone else noticed the thing with Shana's shoes during the school scene? She was in red high heels for the whole episode, but during the scene where they are running up the stairs at school (right before they bust in on the volley ball team changing) she is shown wearing grey flats..

Just something I noticed.
Usually, you would have to change into school shoes when you enter the school?
Old 2009-10-28, 20:59   Link #44
KaneDragon
*(RAWR*)&rawr

What's that, Shana? Is it rape time?

I... I guess so.

Yuji as Shana: delicious deredere. Shana as Yuji... somewhat repulsive. When she isn't raping Yuji as Shana, I mean.

Confirmed for stripes. Her switching to plain white is surely to blame for the lame love triangle slowness of season 2. Somehow.

Spoiler for Because words alone cannot express what I am feeling right now.:

This is Yuji-Shana's "Oops I just broke Wilhelmina ~de arimasu" face.

"No point unless you're yourselves"? Shana, Shana, you just don't get the whole bodyswap thing, do you. Ah well...
Old 2009-10-31, 06:24   Link #45
coderlan
Student

OMG, I think the art just got better in this OVA...
Old 2009-10-31, 22:49   Link #46
Mangonel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raiga View Post
Well you can't enter the school without changing your shoes. :P

Yeah I dunno, that could either be an animation error or extreme attention to detail...
That would be attention to detail, generally in Japanese style housing/indoors you take your street shoes off at the door and wear slippers/flats. A lot of Japanese schools actually have shoe lockers at the entrance for that reason.

Um, around when in the SnS timeline does this take place? Its been a while since I've watched the series so my memory of what order events happen is kinda foggy.
Old 2009-11-01, 02:34   Link #47
Raiga
tl;dr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mangonel View Post
That would be attention to detail, generally in Japanese style housing/indoors you take your street shoes off at the door and wear slippers/flats. A lot of Japanese schools actually have shoe lockers at the entrance for that reason.
Well I know, that's what I was referring to, I just wasn't sure if they'd change their shoes even for something like sneaking in on a weekend to sort through magical items.
Old 2009-11-01, 20:48   Link #48
alvinkhorfire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mangonel View Post
Um, around when in the SnS timeline does this take place? Its been a while since I've watched the series so my memory of what order events happen is kinda foggy.
This Reshuffle event should occur around the arrival of Wilhelmina (after the Khamsin arc), which puts it around Episode 20-21 of Season 1, if I am not mistaken. That is why we all have weird feeling seeing Yuji being "wimpy", Shana being so dominant and Wilhelmina being cold toward Yuji. It is because at the end of Season 2, we have seen Yuji being more confident and self-assured, Shana being more girlie (minus triple urasai, unfortunately) and Wilhelmina being more forgiving toward Yuji, albeit a bit reluctantly.
Old 2009-11-02, 13:56   Link #49
matteas
Member Member

It was really nice. Idea of body swapping seems like a cliche already, but this time, it was really well done. I don't know if I ever enjoyed it that much. I mean, the body-swapping concept.

btw. Does anybody know if Eclipse are going to fansub it?
Old 2009-11-02, 18:43   Link #50
minhtam1638
Missing In Action

Quote:
Originally Posted by alvinkhorfire View Post
This Reshuffle event should occur around the arrival of Wilhelmina (after the Khamsin arc), which puts it around Episode 20-21 of Season 1, if I am not mistaken. That is why we all have weird feeling seeing Yuji being "wimpy", Shana being so dominant and Wilhelmina being cold toward Yuji. It is because at the end of Season 2, we have seen Yuji being more confident and self-assured, Shana being more girlie (minus triple urasai, unfortunately) and Wilhelmina being more forgiving toward Yuji, albeit a bit reluctantly.
I'm more convinced it's after episode 24 of Season 1, or in other words, after Season 1. I felt that Episodes 17-24 was somewhat too much of a turning point that it had to go into succession of each other, and this episode would have only made sense after everything calmed down and was resolved. So I would put this episode right before the start of Season 2.
Old 2009-11-02, 23:56   Link #51
alvinkhorfire

Quote:
Originally Posted by minhtam1638 View Post
I'm more convinced it's after episode 24 of Season 1, or in other words, after Season 1. I felt that Episodes 17-24 was somewhat too much of a turning point that it had to go into succession of each other, and this episode would have only made sense after everything calmed down and was resolved. So I would put this episode right before the start of Season 2.
You do have a point there, minhtam1638 and I respect your opinion. The only definite thing about the exact time of occurence of this Reshuffle event is that it happens after the Khamsin arc. Exactly when, we do not know. It is a side story from Noizi Ito's art story which may not have a direct link to which volume of the novel. For that, different people may interpret the exact time of occurence differently.

Sorry to say that I do not quite agree with you based on the way Wilhelmina spoke to Yuji in this Reshuffle episode. When Shana (in Yuji's body) replies on behalf of Yuji (in Shana's body), Wilhelmina promptly told Shana-Yuji that he should not answer her. Later on, when Shana-Yuji has a small tussle with Wilhelmina, the Wilhelmina fights indicates that she treats Shana-Yuji as some sort of enemy and she almost unleash all of her full strength.

On the other hand, in the Episode 1 of Season 2, Wilhelmina treats Yuji slightly better without any intention of viewing Yuji as an enemy. You could argue with me that the Reshuffle episode occurs just before the Season 2. However, the complete change in the way Wilhelmina treats Yuji could not happen in such a short time before the Season 2. I would say that the change is due to the both occasions Shana saves Yuji in Episode 21 (Season 1) and when the event Shana is thought to be dead in Episode 24 (Season 1).

minhtam1638, on your doubt that this event cannot fit in a series of events in Episodes 17-24, I do somewhat agree with that. For now, the best compromise, I think, would be that the Reshuffle event occurs before Wilhelmina attempts to kill Yuji at the end of the Episode 20. It is just my opinion, though. Feel free to correct my mistakes.

Last edited by alvinkhorfire; 2009-11-03 at 00:21.
Old 2009-11-08, 05:25   Link #52
Hisagi_Shuuhei

Does anyone know when the 2nd episode will be out?

It's been like forever!
Old 2009-11-08, 13:13   Link #53
Raiga
tl;dr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hisagi_Shuuhei View Post
Does anyone know when the 2nd episode will be out?

It's been like forever!
Not for months IIRC.
Old 2009-11-09, 17:03   Link #54
velvet nightmare

what's the timeline of the this episode anyways

is this like a side story? or does it continue right after where the last anime ended (which would be christmas?)
Old 2009-11-09, 19:15   Link #55
Game8910
Shanacon/Ariafag

before season 2, after season 1
Spring 2011 Impressions (part2)
Old 2009-11-09, 21:38   Link #56
Excorsism

Spoiler for This episode is...:

Hot diggity damn, can Shana get any more moe? My heart...
Old 2009-11-11, 05:28   Link #57
knowngni
Lover of Onee-sans

I want to ask you guys who've watched this but does anyone feel like the subs by eclipse on the OP/ED feel a bit off. Not hating on em or anything cause I love eclipse but it just feels awkward
Old 2009-11-16, 03:11   Link #58
minhtam1638
Missing In Action

Quote:
Originally Posted by knowngni View Post
I want to ask you guys who've watched this but does anyone feel like the subs by eclipse on the OP/ED feel a bit off. Not hating on em or anything cause I love eclipse but it just feels awkward
Actually, this happened last year with SnS II, 2nd OP. When the 2nd OP was released, Eclipse & Static-Subs had to listen by ear and interpret what the lyrics were, only to find that they were 30% off when the real lyrics of Blaze were released in the discography. They corrected the lyrics by episode 22.

So if we follow this pattern, Eclipse most likely tried to interpret the lyrics by ear, since they didn't have the actual lyrics themselves because it wasn't released yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alvinkhorfire View Post
You do have a point there, minhtam1638 and I respect your opinion. The only definite thing about the exact time of occurence of this Reshuffle event is that it happens after the Khamsin arc. Exactly when, we do not know. It is a side story from Noizi Ito's art story which may not have a direct link to which volume of the novel. For that, different people may interpret the exact time of occurence differently.

Sorry to say that I do not quite agree with you based on the way Wilhelmina spoke to Yuji in this Reshuffle episode. When Shana (in Yuji's body) replies on behalf of Yuji (in Shana's body), Wilhelmina promptly told Shana-Yuji that he should not answer her. Later on, when Shana-Yuji has a small tussle with Wilhelmina, the Wilhelmina fights indicates that she treats Shana-Yuji as some sort of enemy and she almost unleash all of her full strength.

On the other hand, in the Episode 1 of Season 2, Wilhelmina treats Yuji slightly better without any intention of viewing Yuji as an enemy. You could argue with me that the Reshuffle episode occurs just before the Season 2. However, the complete change in the way Wilhelmina treats Yuji could not happen in such a short time before the Season 2. I would say that the change is due to the both occasions Shana saves Yuji in Episode 21 (Season 1) and when the event Shana is thought to be dead in Episode 24 (Season 1).

minhtam1638, on your doubt that this event cannot fit in a series of events in Episodes 17-24, I do somewhat agree with that. For now, the best compromise, I think, would be that the Reshuffle event occurs before Wilhelmina attempts to kill Yuji at the end of the Episode 20. It is just my opinion, though. Feel free to correct my mistakes.
There's two problems I have with this theory. First, exactly where did you find anything as remote as a time gap between episode 17-24? As far as I was concerned, there was the Misago festival, Wilhelmina arrived the morning after, then spent one day trying to figure out why Shana was acting the way she was, decided to kill Yuji on the spot that same night, and the bonfire occurred next morning. Second, if you look into Shana's own personality throughout the OVA and try to insert it to 17-24, you'll find that her personality is inconsistent with that of her personality within 20-21, not to mention that Wilhelmina has yet to see Yuji as a useful Mistes by that time. So going by that, it would make more sense to put this OVA after 24 than 20.

And as far as Wilhelmina goes, she already treats Yuji pretty much as an enemy on and off the series, kind of like a mom vs. boyfriend type of deal. I agree that it would make more sense to place this after 20 or 21 based on her personality, but you should also realize that by the end of 24, although she was forced to accept that Yuji is very important to Shana, it doesn't necessarily mean that she would be able to change her attitude toward Yuji.

By my calculations, there were one or two weeks between the end of Season 1 and the beginning of Season 2, so this whole acceptance deal has to take a little bit of time. 20-21 isn't enough time to cover it. You're right, though - this is just a side story based on illustration, so it's true place in the storyline is quite debatable.

Last edited by minhtam1638; 2009-11-16 at 03:22.
Old 2009-11-16, 10:39   Link #59
Raiga
tl;dr

Quote:
Originally Posted by minhtam1638 View Post
Actually, this happened last year with SnS II, 2nd OP. When the 2nd OP was released, Eclipse & Static-Subs had to listen by ear and interpret what the lyrics were, only to find that they were 30% off when the real lyrics of Blaze were released in the discography. They corrected the lyrics by episode 22.

So if we follow this pattern, Eclipse most likely tried to interpret the lyrics by ear, since they didn't have the actual lyrics themselves because it wasn't released yet.
In fact, I think this happens all the time, with all sorts of sub groups and all sorts of series. Even songs in your native language are often easy to mishear. When you see the OP and/or ED subs suddenly change, that's when you go, "Oh! The single must have been released." XD
Old 2009-11-23, 20:10   Link #60
OkamiNoKaze

This was a great episode, and look forward to more in this ova series. I think I'm going to treat this like a dragonball movie, while it could fit in somewhere, there no real spot for it. Body swaps are fun. and Wilhelmina speed eating. Shana (while in Yuji) at alot of ice cream, wasn't there like 30 of them or something. Are they going to finish the S OVA before going on to season 3, or will we see that sooner?