AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Macross > Past Macross Series

Notices

View Poll Results: Macross Frontier: Sayonara no Tsubasa Movie Rating
Perfect 10 40 42.11%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 33 34.74%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 12 12.63%
7 out of 10 : Good 5 5.26%
6 out of 10 : Average 3 3.16%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 2 2.11%
4 out of 10 : Poor 0 0%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 0 0%
Voters: 95. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2011-04-29, 10:32   Link #2061
Yot-chan
Minmay Guard

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetoJR View Post
Hey, I'm only half-joking, here.
And yet, your posts are making me feel a certain way that I didn't feel before I read them. Therefore, you are trolling.

Stop it.

Quote:
Nevertheless, Gubaba seems to be indirectly implying that the producers are sort-of-lightly-indirectly trolling a certain percentage of fandom. I find it funny, myself.
I wouldn't call it trolling. Most people, upon first encountering Romeo and Juliet (to cite just one of countless examples), want the two young lovers to run away and live happily ever after. The fact that that's NOT what happens is what makes the story a classic.

Not saying that Frontier is on that same level (of either artistic merit or tragedy), but generally, listening to what portions of the audience want (even large portions) often spells doom for stories. Much better for the storyteller to do what he or she thinks is best. The audience will follow or it won't, but the work itself will be better off for it.

And yes, I'm dead serious about that, and yes, it's an issue I feel strongly about. I don't believe in giving people what they want, I believe in giving people what I want, and if they like it, too, then that's just gravy.

Quote:
Hey, I'm only half-joking, here.
I would, yes. But you're the one who supplied the quote, as regards a definition of what a troll does, not me.
Well, ya gotta read the REST of the quotation, too...the NY Times bit is only a partial definition.

Last edited by CrowKenobi; 2011-04-29 at 12:07. Reason: Edit button, edit button...
Old 2011-04-29, 10:36   Link #2062
BetoJR
A blast from the past
*Artist

Now, now, I have never been called a troll before. So, you're trolling me. Please stop it.

As for not giving people what they want... sometimes it works. Sometimes, it does not. It's always a kind of a gamble and not always a successful one. It takes balls. And The Hory Froating Head has proven he has them, countless times even. So, I'm okay with that.

Old 2011-04-29, 10:46   Link #2063
karice67
さっく♥ゆうきゃん♥ほそやん

Quote:
And being manipulative is only so good if it's subtle. Heavy pandering detracts from a product, most of the time.
Oh I agree...and I really like what they did with the movies - it's almost a pity that Kawamori caved in and answered people's questions about what they should take from the ending.

For some irritating trolling, try placing all recently released Macross books in your amazon.co.jp shopping cart, then sit back to watch them flip-flop from being available or not. The Official Complete Book has just gone 'no longer available' on me...

How Suetsugu Yuki drew the cover for Chihayafuru volume 34

Interview translations etc

You must free yourself from that illusion,
from the illusion that a story must have a beginning and an end.

"No, you are not entitled to your opinion... You are only entitled to what you can argue for.”
- Patrick Stokes

Old 2011-04-29, 10:52   Link #2064
Yot-chan
Minmay Guard

Quote:
Originally Posted by karice67 View Post
For some irritating trolling, try placing all recently released Macross books in your amazon.co.jp shopping cart, then sit back to watch them flip-flop from being available or not. The Complete Guide has just gone 'no longer available' on me...
It'll be available again. And it's TOTALLY worth waiting for! Honestly, I was amazed the book was only ¥1500...it's massive and jam-packed with pics, info, you name it.

No, for REALLY irritating trolling, I nominate the SnT gashapon machines. First time I put ¥200 in, I got "Open Ranka." Fine 'n' Dandy. Next time, I got Sheryl-type YF-29. Also fine. Third time, I got ANOTHER Sheryl YF-29.

I mean, I guess I can give it to my girlfriend (she being a die-hard Sheryl fan), but still...I wanted either Alto's YF-29 or Sexy-Nurse-cum-Mad-Scientist Sheryl!
Old 2011-04-29, 11:00   Link #2065
karice67
さっく♥ゆうきゃん♥ほそやん

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yot-chan View Post
It'll be available again. And it's TOTALLY worth waiting for! Honestly, I was amazed the book was only ¥1500...it's massive and jam-packed with pics, info, you name it.
I know. Before that, I was watching the novels flip-flop, but just when they got settled...*sighs* Well, the only problem will be if I can wait that long!

Quote:
No, for REALLY irritating trolling, I nominate the SnT gashapon machines. First time I put ¥200 in, I got "Open Ranka." Fine 'n' Dandy. Next time, I got Sheryl-type YF-29. Also fine. Third time, I got ANOTHER Sheryl YF-29.

I mean, I guess I can give it to my girlfriend (she being a die-hard Sheryl fan), but still...I wanted either Alto's YF-29 or Sexy-Nurse-cum-Mad-Scientist Sheryl!
LOL...well, that's the fun of gashapon machines, right? You'll get them eventually, the only question being whether steam starts rising from your head before then

それに、おめでとう!

"No, you are not entitled to your opinion... You are only entitled to what you can argue for.”
- Patrick Stokes

Old 2011-04-29, 11:01   Link #2066
Tak
Catholic = Cat addiction?

Quote:
If by "artfulness" you mean that "they are good at trolling", I just might agree with you.
Macross has a long history of trolling, but not in ways that most of us would relate.

Remember our good Zentradi friends? For the longest time in my childhood, I thought they were the bad guys.

Then you realized how quick they could be bribed with swimsuits & music... yeah, thats trolling.

- Tak

Remember, the toes you step on today may be connected to the @ss you have to kiss tomorrow.
Old 2011-04-29, 11:05   Link #2067
Yot-chan
Minmay Guard

Quote:
それに、おめでとう!
ああ・・・あのニュースが読み落としなかった!

じゃ、ありがとう!
Old 2011-04-29, 11:13   Link #2068
karice67
さっく♥ゆうきゃん♥ほそやん

Quote:
ああ・・・あのニュースが読み落としなかった!

じゃ、ありがとう!
まあね ^^

Though perhaps we'd better reduce the Japanese before we get told off

でも、頑張って!

- Patrick Stokes

Old 2011-04-29, 11:19   Link #2069
Yot-chan
Minmay Guard

Quote:
まあね ^^

でも、頑張って!
Oh, I'll 頑張って, all right...

Incidentally, she loved the movie and even teared up a bit at the end. I had to explain to her why the Isamu cameo was AWESOME and who "Lovely Bomber" were supposed to be, though...

*sigh* Can't have everything, can you?
Old 2011-04-29, 11:19   Link #2070
Tak

Quote:
まあね ^^

でも、頑張って!
Oh please continue, I am enjoying this...

- Tak

Remember, the toes you step on today may be connected to the @ss you have to kiss tomorrow.
Old 2011-04-29, 11:22   Link #2071
karice67
さっく♥ゆうきゃん♥ほそやん

Quote:
Incidentally, she loved the movie and even teared up a bit at the end. I had to explain to her why the Isamu cameo was AWESOME and who "Lovely Bomber" were supposed to be, though...

*sigh* Can't have everything, can you?
Well, isn't it your duty then, to share all the history with her?

Embarrassingly...I didn't know either...though that means I know what I'll be watching between now and the BD release

- Patrick Stokes

Old 2011-04-29, 11:36   Link #2072
Yot-chan
Minmay Guard

Quote:
Well, isn't it your duty then, to share all the history with her?

Embarrassingly...I didn't know either...though that means I know what I'll be watching between now and the BD release
We're up to episode 4 of SDFM.

Incidentally, a brief run-down on Isamu's new/old "Kawaiiko-chan" was one of the many treats in the "Official Complete Book," as were the pics of the Macross Quarters attached to the Macross 17 and Macross 23 Fleets.

But, oddly, I think the part that makes me drool the most is the "Making of Nijiiro Kuma Kuma and Forbidden Elixia" section. They actually built the wobbly houses and pop-up backgrounds of "Kuma Kuma" in papercraft before animating it...which for some reason I find totally awesome.
Old 2011-04-29, 12:03   Link #2073
karice67
さっく♥ゆうきゃん♥ほそやん

Quote:
Incidentally, a brief run-down on Isamu's new/old "Kawaiiko-chan" was one of the many treats in the "Official Complete Book," as were the pics of the Macross Quarters attached to the Macross 17 and Macross 23 Fleets.

But, oddly, I think the part that makes me drool the most is the "Making of Nijiiro Kuma Kuma and Forbidden Elixia" section. They actually built the wobbly houses and pop-up backgrounds of "Kuma Kuma" in papercraft before animating it...which for some reason I find totally awesome.
Come on amazon!

- Patrick Stokes

Old 2011-04-29, 12:08   Link #2074
BetoJR
A blast from the past
*Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tak View Post
Oh please continue, I am enjoying this...
Me too. Google Translate is actually helpful, some of these times.

Old 2011-04-29, 17:33   Link #2075
Tyrone Biggums
Crack Head

Wow - I watched this show when it first came out and just found out 5 minutes ago that there was a movie...and a sequel!!

You've got to be shitting me, I must have been under a rock or something..Is the second one out to find somewhere yet?

Last edited by Tyrone Biggums; 2011-04-29 at 17:54.
Old 2011-04-29, 17:40   Link #2076
Tak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyrone Biggums View Post
Wow - I watched this show when it first came out and just found out 5 minutes ago that there were 2 movies...and a sequel!!

You've got to be shitting me, I must have been under a rock or something..Is the second one out to find somewhere yet?
Actually, only two movies. No sequel at the moment, but there is a prequel novel.

The second movie is already out for a while, and we've already spoiled ourselves silly upon its release.

- Tak

Old 2011-04-29, 17:44   Link #2077
Tyrone Biggums
Crack Head

Thats what I meant lol a movie plus the second one is a "sequel" no?
Old 2011-04-29, 17:51   Link #2078
Tak

Quote:
Thats what I meant lol a movie plus the second one is a "sequel" no?
Well, actually you said:

Quote:
2 movies...and a sequel
Which sounds to me like two movies and something else.

- Tak

Old 2011-04-29, 17:55   Link #2079
Tyrone Biggums
Crack Head

Quote:
Well, actually you said:

Which sounds to me like two movies and something else.

- Tak
I edited my post so I don't offend your apparent grammar issues.
Old 2011-04-29, 19:11   Link #2080
Yot-chan
Minmay Guard

Quote:
No sequel at the moment, but there is a prequel novel.
There is...?

Macross the Ride is set before Frontier, yeah, but it's not really a prequel to it...
Closed Thread

Tags
mecha, movie, romance, science fiction, song