AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2012-01-16, 06:18   Link #461
Kyuu
=^^=

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flower View Post
I must admit that I did not expect a tangent discussing and debating miniskirt motion in outer space in an anime series initially inspired by an indignation at being denied "realistic/laws of physics based fanservice"....
I got it.

When it comes to the skirts... the gravity vector is relative for each skirt - by which - towards the feet is "down". Hence, the skirts remain "downward" - meaning, no anti-gravity fanservice. Yea, that explains it.
Kyuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-16, 08:33   Link #462
Endless Soul
Megane girl fan

Quote:
I must admit that I did not expect a tangent discussing and debating miniskirt motion in outer space in an anime series initially inspired by an indignation at being denied "realistic/laws of physics based fanservice"....
Me neither, yet it does make for interesting reading, ne?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyuu View Post
I got it.

When it comes to the skirts... the gravity vector is relative for each skirt - by which - towards the feet is "down". Hence, the skirts remain "downward" - meaning, no anti-gravity fanservice. Yea, that explains it.
A valiant effort. Good job!

Endless "Interested Reader" Soul
Old 2012-01-16, 09:27   Link #463
Sackett
Cross Game - I need more

Location: I've moved around the American West. I've lived in Oregon, Washington, Utah, and Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ithekro View Post
Most Privateers that I am aware tend to do what they want. The majority of their deal with a governement is that the Privateer and that governement don't shoot at each other. The Privateer is given a list of what he should be attacking and what he shouldn't be attacking. If it isn't on either list, the Privateer can do what he wants with it. The Privateer is suppose to give a predeturmined cut of the take with the government (sometimes specific things like military prisoners, heavy weapons...sometime the enemy ship if taken), in exchange the Privateers can get assess to that government's ports and gets access to weapons and gear that would otherwise be illegal to have. They sometimes get a discount based on their take. The better the Privateer does, the more likely the government is going to bend over backwards for them. The worse they do, or if they start targetting ships on the wrong list, the Privateers get called Pirates and are considered fair game for government warships and/or police.

Traditionally, a Privateer is a privately owned naval military asset (a converted civilian ship, or sometimes a ship specifically designed for raiding...these are usually build during a war by private companies seeking to be privateers) for a country that doesn't have the resources to build and operate a large navy...or one that is fighting a large navy to the point they can't be everywhere at once. It is easier to pay a civilian that already owns a ship to arm it and send them out to raid enemy shipping. Because they are getting paid for the number of tonnage sunk or captured, it is a nice business deal for some where as nationalizing the ship and making it a warship would require a military crew (which the country might not have enough of) and because of the ridged structure, a lot of sailors might leave and thus make the ship ineffective. Plus the ship's captain already has a crew and pays them himself, thus the government doesn't have to pay much for a privateer since they are mostly self funded (via piracy).
Depends a lot on the privateer.

Privateers were supposed to only attack countries (either their ships, their shipping, or ports) that were at war with the nation that gave them their Letter of Marque. At lest that was the intention.

Technically I believe that what it really meant was that you had the legal right to fly the national colors of the nation that issued you the Letter of Marque when you attacked a ship of enemy nations. This meant that if you were defeated and captured while flying the national colors and carrying the Letter of Marque you were not subject to summary execution the way pirates are. (Supposedly anyway- sometimes in the heat of war that rule wasn't always honored).

So if a privateer went and attacked a ship that wasn't hostile to the nation that issued him the Letter of Marque he was not authorized to fly national colors but would have been obligated to fly colors that clearly identified him as acting independently.

Of course how often these rules were really followed depended on the captain and crew. A privateer might be no better than a pirate, out for plunder. Or he might be a true patriot, fighting because of dedication to his country, and so followed the rules of war. Dutch privateers were particularly known for being the patriotic sort. English privateers were infamous for being no better than pirates. American privateers were a mixed lot.

Additionally, false colors were commonly used by lots of different people, and so a Captain might attack a ship that was flying neutral colors if he thought it was suspicious and might be flying false colors. Although nations tended to get very upset if they found warships of other nations were flying their colors. Merchant ships, pirates, and privateers were all far less dedicated to flying the correct colors. (Although a privateer was usually good enough to send up the correct colors before they opened fire).

And then you get into the fact that neutral merchant ships were often subject to blockade and so were often subject to boarding in certain areas to make sure they weren't shipping items to the belligerent countries. There was obviously a lot of temptation and opportunity here for the less scrupulous privateers.

Quote:
Doesn't surprise me in the least. When I saw that scene I was pleasantly surprised they didn't have any fanservice, and was quite certain it was going to be complained about.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyuu View Post
I got it.

Actually the best argument is that in the absence of gravity, air friction would keep their skirts pointed away from where ever they were moving. Since they were all shown diving forward it's not inaccurate.

The main discrepancy is when they stop moving they would probably have their skirts float up. Unless they flip around and land on their feet.

Gah... I can't believe I got roped into discussing the physics of mini-skirts in zero-g.

Cross Game - A Story of Love, Life, Death - and Baseball. What more could you want?

Last edited by Sackett; 2012-01-16 at 09:41.
Sackett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-16, 09:42   Link #464
Malkuth
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Malkuth
Just watched the first two episodes... so Marika does not mind spending one and half decades not knowing who her father was, and in addition is not even reacting to the fact that when she learns about him, it's only because he died and she inherited his "debt"

Otherwise, lacks in physics, tech, or any sort of realism from this universe, and replaces it with a tone of techno-bubble... this should work for most people, it seems to have another interesting setting, thankfully this one has a naive instead of an annoying MC.

All in all, a retro shounen in space with chicks and no ecchi, harmless
Malkuth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-16, 10:22   Link #465
CWW
Lurker

They shouldn't have skirts in space in the first place!

It wouldn't have bothered me in the slightest if it was just a dumb space opera, but they're playing it mostly straight so far by injecting all this technobabble, worldbuilding and life lessons instead of going straight into the action. I'm not expecting Planetes levels of realism, but some kind of consistency would be nice. That or seperate the serious moments from the not so serious moments like Full Metal Panic did.

As it is, they're juggling between explaining lawful pirates being privateers/advanced steering techniques/viruses infecting navigation systems and women dressed in skirts in zero gravity/silly pirate hats and eye patches/maid costumes. I'm still not sure what direction they're going to take this, but they're going to have to pick one real soon.
CWW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-16, 10:48   Link #466
Kismet-chan
The Chaotic Dreamer

Ugh, I REALLY wish people would stop talking about the skirt thing (I mean the people complaining about it, not those who are defending it). WHO CARES? People complain when there's too much/unnecessary fanservice, now people complain when there is a lack thereof? What exactly does it take to please you guys? Geez...
Old 2012-01-16, 10:58   Link #467
Dark Wing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malkuth View Post
Just watched the first two episodes... so Marika does not mind spending one and half decades not knowing who her father was, and in addition is not even reacting to the fact that when she learns about him, it's only because he died and she inherited his "debt"
It's not like she didn't know she had a father or anything. I can see her mom telling her he died when Marika was really young or before she was born if she ever brought it up. either way it would be very hard to explain to child their parents were space pirates.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kismet-chan View Post
Ugh, I REALLY wish people would stop talking about the skirt thing (I mean the people complaining about it, not those who are defending it). WHO CARES? People complain when there's too much/unnecessary fanservice, now people complain when there is a lack thereof? What exactly does it take to please you guys? Geez...
I remember having this conversation some years ago people well always and always find something to complain about no matter how small it happens to be...
Old 2012-01-16, 11:00   Link #468
CWW
Lurker

I don't think you properly read my or other people's posts. It has nothing to do with fanservice. As for the who cares card, scifi nerds will be scifi nerds I suppose.
Old 2012-01-16, 11:10   Link #469
Malkuth
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Wing View Post
It's not like she didn't know she had a father or anything. I can see her mom telling her he died when Marika was really young or before she was born if she ever brought it up. either way it would be very hard to explain to child their parents were space pirates.
So the script does not a reality check with psysics and technology, but psychology as well

In between, in ep.2 Ririka told Marika, that she was sorry not telling her anything about her father yet, because she was waiting her to finish high school... talking about traumatic experiences, there I think this tops my scale, calling you immature, and your parent worthless to talk about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Wing View Post
I remember having this conversation some years ago people well always and always find something to complain about no matter how small it happens to be...
Realism considered, the sex and age composition is way too feminist, which takes precedence over gravity or the of

As for missing or having too much service (as in pantyshots, bouncing, and so on), I do not particularly care, it's just that some shows have such horrible storytelling, that unless they offer something else (fan-service, action, rich settings) they are simply unwatchable
Old 2012-01-16, 11:33   Link #470
Crimrui
Hollow

Send a message via Yahoo to Crimrui
Absolutely adored the slowness of the second episode. Don't know how to explain it, but it's nice to see slow conversations that kinda brings out the more realistic feeling and builds up the atmosphere. They showed a nice interaction between Ririka and Marika. The whole Ship checkup was a nice touch as well. Can't wait until they ''set sail.'' ^^
Old 2012-01-16, 11:41   Link #471
Soconfused
Old God Member

Send a message via AIM to Soconfused
Quote:
Originally Posted by CWW View Post

It wouldn't have bothered me in the slightest if it was just a dumb space opera, but they're playing it mostly straight so far by injecting all this technobabble, worldbuilding and life lessons instead of going straight into the action. I'm not expecting Planetes levels of realism, but some kind of consistency would be nice. That or seperate the serious moments from the not so serious moments like Full Metal Panic did.

As it is, they're juggling between explaining lawful pirates being privateers/advanced steering techniques/viruses infecting navigation systems and women dressed in skirts in zero gravity/silly pirate hats and eye patches/maid costumes. I'm still not sure what direction they're going to take this, but they're going to have to pick one real soon.
THIS. I don't care about the damn fan service, but if your gonna wear skirts in space, be prepared for the repercussions. It's distracting, and I hope it's only for this particular moment they are docked and not throughout the series when they are in space, or I don't think I'll be able to handle it.

That's the problem with you kids these days, you'll watch anything with a bunch of cute girls in it, you need to have standards for these type of shows or they'll just churn out anything! *strokes his sage-like beard*
Old 2012-01-16, 11:45   Link #472
Malkuth
Banned

^ Should I assume the you want this level of graphic educational realism

Old 2012-01-16, 12:05   Link #473
Random Wanderer

It is not at all unreasonable that they could have technology to cause skirts to stiffen in a particular manner so that they wouldn't misbehave is zero gravity. Chill out, people. Consider yourselves privileged that they include zero grav at all. If you're going to whine about physics, there are plenty of other things you could be pointing at. The fact that you all are obsessing over the skirt thing makes it plain in my eyes that all your "the physics are wrong! Waah!" stuff is a lie. You're upset that you aren't seeing schoolgirl panties.

GET. OVER. IT.
Random Wanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-16, 12:08   Link #474
Funkatron
Highly irregular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Random Wanderer View Post
It is not at all unreasonable that they could have technology to cause skirts to stiffen in a particular manner so that they wouldn't misbehave is zero gravity. Chill out, people. Consider yourselves privileged that they include zero grav at all. If you're going to whine about physics, there are plenty of other things you could be pointing at. The fact that you all are obsessing over the skirt thing makes it plain in my eyes that all your "the physics are wrong! Waah!" stuff is a lie. You're upset that you aren't seeing schoolgirl panties.

GET. OVER. IT.
Haha, you hit the nail right on the head.
Funkatron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-16, 12:09   Link #475
Utsuro no Hako

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malkuth View Post
^ Should I assume the you want this level of graphic educational realism

Make it Chiaki drinking milk and that'll be all the fan service I need from this show.
Utsuro no Hako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-16, 12:16   Link #476
Malkuth
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Utsuro no Hako View Post
Make it Chiaki drinking milk and that'll be all the fan service I need from this show.
LOL, if she is sloppy enough, I will not complain

@GET.OVER.IT: Well, this is the kind of show that could use a panty-shot or two, since it's lacking in pretty much everything... even the original character designs were better
Old 2012-01-16, 12:41   Link #477
Kyuu
=^^=

Quote:
Space and Skirts = Sexy

Quote:
It is not at all unreasonable that they could have technology to cause skirts to stiffen in a particular manner so that they wouldn't misbehave is zero gravity..
Two words:

Spoiler:

Anyways, physics or no physics. I will not expect this series to be a fanservice series. Even if they threw some in - here and there - I expect it to be swift and unnoticeable to the common eye. By which, any evidence of fanservice... can exist as screen caps... like one a couple pages ago. Oh, how I can't stop looking at it sometimes. XD

Last edited by Kyuu; 2012-01-16 at 13:30.
Kyuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-16, 13:10   Link #478
CWW
Lurker

Quote:

GET. OVER. IT.
You got me. I'm actually a closet pervert entranced by the mysteries of drawn silky undergarments worn by fictional women of dubious age. I stumbled upon this show by accident and could not believe they would not show such artifacts when the situation clearly allowed it! I flipped off a box of kittens in rage after such inconsiderate display. They will rue the day they deprived me of nature's wonder. RUE I SAY.

Or, you know, we're having an honest to god discussion of the production of this show and the skirts thing happened to be the most noticeable. It's not like stiffened skirts would magically solve the impracticality of wearing skirts in a zero-G environment, since you're floating and there's no surface underneath you. Maybe women in the future in a far away galaxy have no shame. It's possible I guess. Or the studio was just too lazy to care. Or incompetent. Or both.

Or worse, consciously sexualizing high school girls. Even in space.
Old 2012-01-16, 13:37   Link #479
cerrian

Quote:

You know, it says a lot about this generation of anime that we're even having this debate about lack of fanservice. Granted, having "mini-skirt" in the title and not producing any panty flashes was really provoking the issue.
cerrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-16, 14:11   Link #480
Random Wanderer

Quote:
I fail to see how them deliberately NOT showing off girls' underwear can be interpreted as deliberate sexualization of the girls in question.

As for why they're wearing skirts at all, it's because it's the school uniform. Which they normally wear on the ground, in an environment that naturally has gravity. They apparently do not have a specialized uniform for club activities in zero g.
Random Wanderer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
light novel adaptation, science fiction, seinen, yuri