AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > Video Games

Notices

Old 2012-08-20, 01:05   Link #681
JohnNiles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dextro View Post

I recently saw the Portable version for quite a nice price and I was wondering if I should pick it up to give my PSP some use on the daily commute to work. Hows the story like for the female MC?
The plot is the same, of course. The social links are a lot better, ditching some of the more annoying side characters for the teammates that didn't originally get links. There are a couple I kind of missed, but I guess you can't have everything.

Since the game was originally balanced for a male character, some of the events suffer; Operation Babe Hunt in particular. I also think they took the cheap way out of the setup to the Shirokawa Boulevard boss battle.

Oh, one more thing. In the PSP version, you don't walk to go places (except within Tartarus), you move the cursor to where you want to navigate to. That's not such a big a deal, but they completely did away with the little 3-D models for the characters outside of battle. I missed watching them act out and throw tantrums.
JohnNiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-20, 06:16   Link #682
Dextro
He Without a Title

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnNiles View Post
The plot is the same, of course. The social links are a lot better, ditching some of the more annoying side characters for the teammates that didn't originally get links. There are a couple I kind of missed, but I guess you can't have everything.

Since the game was originally balanced for a male character, some of the events suffer; Operation Babe Hunt in particular. I also think they took the cheap way out of the setup to the Shirokawa Boulevard boss battle.
Hum... I may wait for a better deal then but I should have known. You win some (control of the team-mates in battle), you lose some (3D models outside battle).

What I'm finding a bit disappointing about P3 is the Social Links. Some of them are borderline offensive considering how uninspired they are (Transfer Student comes to mind).

It's still a great game though. I would love it if atlus made an HD collection with Persona 3 and 4 for the PS3/Vita with full team-mate control + the answer. I would snag that up in a heartbeat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnNiles View Post
Oh, one more thing. In the PSP version, you don't walk to go places (except within Tartarus), you move the cursor to where you want to navigate to. That's not such a big a deal, but they completely did away with the little 3-D models for the characters outside of battle. I missed watching them act out and throw tantrums.
Oh... but that's one of the best parts of P3

Last edited by Dextro; 2012-08-20 at 08:23.
Dextro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-22, 17:44   Link #683
ThereminVox
Guess what time it is?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dextro View Post
Oh... but that's one of the best parts of P3
It really is. They try to make up for it by keeping the VN-style character portraits expressive, even adding new faces here and there, but noting beats seeing the characters all inhabiting the 3D space. This to me is actually the biggest loss in the PSP port, more so than The Answer, which is worth looking up the net, but I could take or leave actually playing it.

I'm sure folks will disagree, but I find other than the 3D models outside of Tartarus, P3P is pretty solidly my favorite version of the story, primarily for the FeMC route. You can tell they learned a lot about how to craft social links and a more interesting protagonist from having worked on P4, and the new route benefits from it tremendously. You get to focus more on getting close to your teammates through social links, and you get more agency in how FeMC responds to parts of the story. You can really make her into a character in her own right, which can give the final act greater impact. That's what I found anyhow.
ThereminVox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-04-05, 22:38   Link #684
pisceanreve

Favorite Character in Persona 3?

I'm just curious because there's such a diverse cast XD
Weirdly, mine is Natsuki Moriyama...anyone else love her, by the way? lol
pisceanreve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-04-06, 06:03   Link #685
demino_hellsin
That one guy

Junpei. I ship him and feMC. Seriously, dude is just a bro with a big heart.
demino_hellsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2023-06-09, 13:22   Link #686
stray
Speedy Sea Cucumber

I suppose this warrants a necro -- Persona 3 ReLoad in early 2024.
YouTube
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?

Last edited by stray; 2023-06-13 at 07:25. Reason: HQ Video
stray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2023-06-09, 17:08   Link #687
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

It's a bit hard to tell since the trailer is low quality but graphics don't seem any better than P5, whose graphics weren't much better than Catherine, which is a 12 year old game...

That said, it's still a significant upgrade. New menu is dope. One thing I'm really hoping will see a complete overhaul is the level design for Tartarus. It was way too monotonous in the original.
Old 2023-06-10, 19:54   Link #688
stray
Speedy Sea Cucumber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanon View Post
It's a bit hard to tell since the trailer is low quality but graphics don't seem any better than P5, whose graphics weren't much better than Catherine, which is a 12 year old game...
A bunch of gaming blogs are reporting it has been confirmed for Switch which is probably a limiting factor. So far it seems to be on XBox, Switch, PS4, PS5, Windows Store, and Steam so... basically everything.
Old 2023-06-11, 02:07   Link #689
Shadow5YA

Quote:
Originally Posted by stray View Post
A bunch of gaming blogs are reporting it has been confirmed for Switch which is probably a limiting factor. So far it seems to be on XBox, Switch, PS4, PS5, Windows Store, and Steam so... basically everything.
Unless Switch compatibility was a high priority I highly doubt they developed the game around it. Most likely they're just using the same UE4 engine that they used for P5 Royal.
Shadow5YA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2023-06-11, 08:17   Link #690
The Green One

The Arcana is the means by which all is revealed, but does even the Arcana know how many times the same game can be regurgitated at full price....
Old 2023-06-11, 11:16   Link #691
Tactics
Haven't You Heard?

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Green One View Post
The Arcana is the means by which all is revealed, but does even the Arcana know how many times the same game can be regurgitated at full price....
Persona Popularity Poll for 2023 result is P3 at 1st place, followed by P5 (2nd) and P4 (3rd) then P2 (4th), P1 (5th), Strikers and Chibi series (6th), Dance series (7th) and Fighting game series (8th).

So yes, they can get away with it.

Old 2023-06-11, 18:13   Link #692
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Green One View Post
It gets better...

They stated that the remake won't include FES and P3P content because they're focusing on recreating the original P3 experience (when literally every single player will tell you FES was better than the original). You can bet your ass they're doing it on purpose so they can sell a second version full price a year later with that content included. And no save transfer, of course.

They do it Every. Single. Time.
Old 2023-06-11, 20:17   Link #693
Frontier

I just found out they're apparently recasting everybody for the English dub.

I get that some VA's definitely had to be replaced (Junpei's for one) but it really takes the wind out of the sails that they just out of the blue replace everybody when I'm sure the JP side will have the same VA's who have been there since the first game. And I love the original P3 dub.
Old 2023-06-11, 21:54   Link #694
stray
Speedy Sea Cucumber

Quote:
It gets better...

They stated that the remake won't include FES and P3P content because they're focusing on recreating the original P3 experience (when literally every single player will tell you FES was better than the original). You can bet your ass they're doing it on purpose so they can sell a second version full price a year later with that content included. And no save transfer, of course.

I saw that and I'm really not feeling a new P3 vanilla but people are still using words like "reimagining" so I'm at least going to wait and see what's on the table. Updated graphics are nice and all but if that's all we get its probably a pass for me.
Old 2023-06-12, 03:07   Link #695
MeoTwister5
Komrades of Kitamura Kou

If it's a top-down remake like FF7 or the recent RE games then I'm willing to pay the full game price tag as long as it's different enough from the original.

Now if it's more like a remaster ala The Last of Us, well, I'm not paying more than 30 for it.
MeoTwister5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2023-06-12, 06:46   Link #696
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Maybe by no FES content they just mean the Answer, which I can do without. If they actually did remove all the content including Aegis' social link and the dates with Elizabeth, then it's a no for me. We'll just have to wait until they reveal more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
I just found out they're apparently recasting everybody for the English dub.

I get that some VA's definitely had to be replaced (Junpei's for one) but it really takes the wind out of the sails that they just out of the blue replace everybody when I'm sure the JP side will have the same VA's who have been there since the first game. And I love the original P3 dub.
Japan has a lot more respect for VAs than the rest of the world. When you get a role there, you pretty much keep it for life (with some notable exceptions). In the US, they're all expandable.

Personally, it's a no brainer. I'll take the track with Maaya Sakamoto, Miyuki Sawashiro, and Mamiko Noto any day of the week. But I never had incentive to play English dubs for Japanese games (except for games where the English dub is the main one like RE, DMC, or MGS), I just begrudgingly accepted it because I had no other choice.
Old 2023-06-12, 08:08   Link #697
stray
Speedy Sea Cucumber

Quote:
Maybe by no FES content they just mean the Answer, which I can do without. If they actually did remove all the content including Aegis' social link and the dates with Elizabeth, then it's a no for me. We'll just have to wait until they reveal more.
IIRC those improvements were from the "Director's Cut" of P3... in Japan FES mostly refers to The Answer which was released separately in an append or bundled which is what we got. I'd imagine the Aigis S.Link has to be there but maybe stuff like walking Koromaru will be cut...? We'll see I guess. If it feels barebones my excitement is going to fade pretty quickly.

I definitely support dub actors getting paid, but the lack of continuity is a big part of why I almost never listen to dubs anymore. Most dub fans don't seem to care about continuity either and most studios just want to keep productions non-union.
Old 2023-06-12, 09:49   Link #698
Frontier

Quote:
I don't think they could get away with not giving Aigis a Social Link or letting you date Elizabeth .
Quote:
Japan has a lot more respect for VAs than the rest of the world. When you get a role there, you pretty much keep it for life (with some notable exceptions). In the US, they're all expandable.
Other than for full on classics remakes sometimes, but generally yeah.
Quote:
Personally, it's a no brainer. I'll take the track with Maaya Sakamoto, Miyuki Sawashiro, and Mamiko Noto any day of the week. But I never had incentive to play English dubs for Japanese games (except for games where the English dub is the main one like RE, DMC, or MGS), I just begrudgingly accepted it because I had no other choice.
I totally get it. It's just like I grew up with those VA's so it's kind of hard .
Old 2023-06-12, 12:15   Link #699
Mad Pierrot
Corrupted fool

I'm gonna miss the line "Stupei Ace Defective"
Old 2023-06-12, 20:17   Link #700
Last Sinner
You're Hot, Cupcake

Quote:
It gets better...

Really don't see what would really be worth it in the remake on those comments. You made it walk around? Big deal. Visuals are modern? Mere detail.

I care about whether levelling issues would be resolved, whether Margaret and Aigis are still utter RNG fests, whether they still want to force levelling of all characters - in a heavily inefficient system - in order to achieve clear.

And hang on...did they seriously say the Aigis Social link and hanging out with Elizabeth were not in the first version?!

Wow...this is EA level scum behaviour.

Tags
ps2