AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Manga

Notices

Old 2012-06-10, 03:16   Link #4061
MAX_COLA_POWER!

I'm starting to think the title of this manga is just a whole F-U to the fans who keep hoping there will be one for this series-v-;;.
Old 2012-06-10, 03:26   Link #4062
Xaturas

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAX_COLA_POWER! View Post
I'm starting to think the title of this manga is just a whole F-U to the fans who keep hoping there will be one for this series-v-;;.
There is always a good ending for fans.
Either manga story and ending was good hence the good ending.
Or manga was so shitty that people are happy something new will take it place hence also a good ending.
Old 2012-06-10, 04:08   Link #4063
Darknemo2000

Send a message via AIM to Darknemo2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waven View Post
You guys don't get my point. I'm pretty sure none of you experienced those series on a weekly basis, no one here did. Video Girl AI and Kimagure Orange Road are freaking ancient, long before there was even sodding internet. I asked some time ago how Ichigo100 was scanlated because I didn't experience it myself and I was told that the scanlated chapters came in large batches.
When you have to wait week for week for another bit of development (or not) it's a completely different experience. Please imagine how people would've raged because of Manaka's indecisiveness or Aya's passiveness if there had been a week waiting time between all the chapters. Also, I'm especially wary of the praising of these "older" series since nostalgia can be a horrible and distorting influence on these matters.

That's why I think this is an issue with the genre in general. If a series has become popular then at some point the author has to pull something artificial to prolong the story, no matter what. If by then you still see 50+ more chapters then the silent, appreciative majority of readers still like it enough to buy it.

Plot twists never satisfiy all of the readers. Pick a certain moment from recent romance series, choose your own story development and I'll tell you why some people would hate it.
Its not nostalgia at all. I for example hate Urusei Yatsura or Maison Ikkoku though both are old. Just some series are good, some arent.

Its because older authors placed more thought to their work than the authors nowadays do. Authors nowadays put a oneshot if its good it turns into series, the problem is that their plot is still one-shot and now they have to stretch it but they are not nearly good and consistent authors to do it smoothly.

And as for Ichigo100 I remember it wasnt a bunch as you claim. Since chapter 65 I think it was update one chapter per week. Sometimes scanlations lagged off a little and we could get two chapters at once but other than that it was update properly. Maybe those whom you asked about it just did not know where to look on the net?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xaturas View Post
There is always a good ending for fans.
Either manga story and ending was good hence the good ending.
Or manga was so shitty that people are happy something new will take it place hence also a good ending.
What about people who love the series but the ending sucks hard (Hellooo, School Rumble!!!)?
Darknemo2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-10, 04:18   Link #4064
Waven
Itadaki-nyaaa !!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xaturas View Post
*snip*
Oh my, you seem a bit caught up in your own personal taste, kinda neglecting the aspect of differing opinions. Just some points:

1. As contemporary weekly romance series GE and KNIM don't fail since they made it past 100+ chapters as well as selling tanks well. The many people hating on these series that you see on the boards can still not compare to the 20000-40000 people that are making an actual effort by buying a tankobon with real money instead of just stating their opinion for free.

2. The part with the battle manga is absolutely true though and was my point exactly. What I don't agree with though and this is where the rose tinted glasses come into play is that no longer running romance series can satisfy all of its readership. For instance, check some reviews for VGA (which you proposed) , there are quite a number of people that thought it was painfully dragging in the 2nd half, same with Kimagure Orange Road btw.

3. All of the 3 series (VGA, Orange Road, Ichigo100) that have been named so far have the atrocious trope of the indecisive male mc in a love polygon, throughout more than 10 volumes. I mean are you guys serious? How can anyone not be incredibly fed up with this super cheesy cliche by now? I'm really thankful that today's authors rarely use it anymore.

I'm not saying these mangas were bad in general, not at all. Just like longer running ones today, they must've done something right in order to last for so many volumes. Naturally that doesn't make them simply better, just means they were right for their time and are still good enough to have a lasting appeal today.

@Darknemo: I don't know about authors practices, especially not when comparing now and then. I imagine authors, even back then, had to present a general plan to their editors before starting a series, which means character concepts (personality and graphics) general plot idea and vague progression. Now this is not so much different from a oneshot, only that the latter has the aspect of market research in it. However I can't imagine either practices have a 100+ chapters story in mind. It may be that authors today are more market oriented but I'm not sure they put less thought in their works.

As for my "source", I think it was someone from AS but I can't remember who and which thread I asked so ye I might be wrong about that.

Last edited by Waven; 2012-06-10 at 04:29.
Waven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-10, 04:27   Link #4065
Darknemo2000

Send a message via AIM to Darknemo2000
Quote:
Oh my, you seem a bit caught up in your own personal taste, kinda neglecting the aspect of differing opinions. Just some points:

1. As contemporary weekly romance series GE and KNIM don't fail since they made it past 100+ chapters as well as selling tanks well. The many people hating on these series that you see on the boards can still not compare to the 20000-40000 people that are making an actual effort by buying a tankobon with real money instead of just stating their opinion for free.

2. The part with the battle manga is absolutely true though and was my point exactly. What I don't agree with though and this is where the rose tinted glasses come into play is that no longer running romance series can satisfy all of its readership. For instance, check some reviews for VGA (which you proposed) , there are quite a number of people that thought it was painfully dragging in the 2nd half, same with Kimagure Orange Road btw.

3. All of the 3 series (VGA, Orange Road, Ichigo100) that have been named so far have the atrocious trope of the indecisive male mc in a love polygon, throughout more than 10 volumes. I mean are you guys serious? How can anyone not be incredibly fed up with this super cheesy cliche by now? I'm really thankful that today's authors rarely use it anymore.

I'm not saying these mangas were bad in general, not at all. Just like longer running ones today, they must've done something right in order to last for so many volumes. Naturally that doesn't make them simply better, just means they were right for their time and are still good enough to have a lasting appeal today.
Utsumi for me looks worse than most of the old main characters because of his development - develop-rest-develop-rest stuff. In comparison old mc developed slowly, sometimes frustratingly so, but did not do resets. I do agree that its good that nowadays series susually make mc more stronger and its for the good as its easier to relate. Can't include Haruto or Utsumi in that bunch though.

More like Kazuma from Kaze no Stigma and the likes. But again Kazuma was created by a professional novel writer first and not amateur writers (though pro mangakas).

There is a reason why VGA or KOR are classics and still are read and liked. I really doubt if KNIM or GE will ever be that. Sentiments what not, there is a difference between a good writing (with soem bad lapses) and a blatant writing on the fly even if it is enough to prolong their existence.

Last edited by Darknemo2000; 2012-06-10 at 05:29.
Darknemo2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-10, 10:09   Link #4066
LeaD36
LeaDfactor

Send a message via MSN to LeaD36
Quote:

@Darknemo: I don't know about authors practices, especially not when comparing now and then. I imagine authors, even back then, had to present a general plan to their editors before starting a series, which means character concepts (personality and graphics) general plot idea and vague progression. Now this is not so much different from a oneshot, only that the latter has the aspect of market research in it. However I can't imagine either practices have a 100+ chapters story in mind. It may be that authors today are more market oriented but I'm not sure they put less thought in their works.

As for my "source", I think it was someone from AS but I can't remember who and which thread I asked so ye I might be wrong about that.
something that is fucking bad can sell incredibly well
Do i have to mention monstrosities to the world like JB, Twilight, well basically anything that is played in discos, Nicki Minaj, Lady Gaga
oh the horror
a fucking disgrace to mankind imo
LeaD36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-10, 13:44   Link #4067
Xaturas

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeaD36 View Post
something that is fucking bad can sell incredibly well
Do i have to mention monstrosities to the world like JB, Twilight, well basically anything that is played in discos, Nicki Minaj, Lady Gaga
oh the horror
a fucking disgrace to mankind imo
Or people comparing Justin Bieber to some old Gods of music like Queen and saying that Bieber is the best musician available.

Like it or not shit sells in todays market, as long as its catchy and have good enough promotion it just sells. Look at Call of Duty games, its same shit over and over again yet thanks to promotion it sells.

That's todays market people ... anything sells even if its total shit not worth the paper/disc, all it need is a little hype and promotion.
Old 2012-06-10, 17:22   Link #4068
LeaD36
LeaDfactor

^+ overall global retardation imo
Old 2012-06-10, 22:15   Link #4069
kuroishinigami
Ava courtesy of patchy

The thing with hype is, it doesn't last long because people woke up from the media hype after a while. If Knim and GE still sell well after more than a year(for Knim at least), it might be not because of hype afterall but more because people's taste change(especially in Japan) into something opposite of your preferences. After all, it is entertainment media and there is no one right standard taste in entertainment.

FYI, I also grew tired of both Knim and GE since around chapter 50s lol
kuroishinigami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-10, 23:42   Link #4070
jzmagic
flargansbog

The new guy seems like a decent human being at least. We already have two douchebags, no need for a third.
jzmagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-11, 16:52   Link #4071
Master Chibi
.: A bad doggy :.

Video Girl AI was great, but I read that all in one chunk.

Ichigo 100% was lol bad.

Orange Road is horribly overrated and pretty god damn awful.

The only 'romantic' series I read weekly was School Rumble and I detest the ending of that.

As for how things are structured now, well after 70 chapters most of the time characters and relationships are developed enough so that you don't need a fucking bee to cause one of the biggest tropes in the genre for the umpteenth time. This is when you start getting that nagging feeling to hit you on the back of the head 'You know x and y are going to get back together, it's so obvious' and matters start to drag on.

Right now I want Yuki out of the picture completely. Kill her off, send her to Russia, I don't care. Get rid of her, she's the single glaring annoyance in this series right now.

Updated once a week - http://pishi.wordpress.com/
Last updated - 5/30/10 - Random Manga Roulette!
Master Chibi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-11, 17:25   Link #4072
Randrak42
ANEGO Worshiper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Master Chibi View Post
Right now I want Yuki out of the picture completely. Kill her off, send her to Russia, I don't care. Get rid of her, she's the single glaring annoyance in this series right now.
Who is...coincidently the final girl and a main character :O
Randrak42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-11, 18:28   Link #4073
LeaD36
LeaDfactor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Master Chibi View Post
Video Girl AI was great, but I read that all in one chunk.

Ichigo 100% was lol bad.

Orange Road is horribly overrated and pretty god damn awful.

The only 'romantic' series I read weekly was School Rumble and I detest the ending of that.

As for how things are structured now, well after 70 chapters most of the time characters and relationships are developed enough so that you don't need a fucking bee to cause one of the biggest tropes in the genre for the umpteenth time. This is when you start getting that nagging feeling to hit you on the back of the head 'You know x and y are going to get back together, it's so obvious' and matters start to drag on.

romcom slightly different than actual romance based manga
Old 2012-06-11, 18:56   Link #4074
ccie20012

'send her to Russia' - it is cruel. This is not a horror manga. LOL. I found it funny. Sorry.

Seriously:
I agree. The author should cease to mock the readers.
I hate NTR in the manga. I like romantic manga/anime, but NTR is a diabolical invention ...
ccie20012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-11, 19:01   Link #4075
Randrak42
ANEGO Worshiper

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccie20012 View Post
'send her to Russia' - it is cruel. This is not a horror manga. LOL. I found it funny. Sorry.
I find this insulting...yet for some reason I cannot deny it...
But no, the further she is from me the better...away she-devil!
Old 2012-06-11, 23:03   Link #4076
Master Chibi
.: A bad doggy :.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeaD36 View Post
romcom slightly different than actual romance based manga
Yeah I got that, hence the quotes around the word 'romance'.

Updated once a week - http://pishi.wordpress.com/
Last updated - 5/30/10 - Random Manga Roulette!
Master Chibi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-12, 04:04   Link #4077
Merilyn Mensola
I am a Boxer

The new guy, is like Utsumi with blonde hair...bha...
Old 2012-06-12, 23:39   Link #4078
RandomGuy
ここに居ってんねん

Latest chapter:
Spoiler:
RandomGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-15, 06:19   Link #4079
Johnny
Working the bags...

Spoiler for ch 130:
Johnny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-15, 06:53   Link #4080
Randrak42
ANEGO Worshiper

I'm done...this time I'm really done with this manga...it's just giving me a headache now.

He's with Shou...Good Ending. The End.

Tags
being good sucks, drama, kento boss, romance, shoukento, shounen, slice of life, yukiumi