AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2011-11-02, 11:47   Link #341
Kazu-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragoonKain3 View Post
But :sigh: it looks like Chihaya is treating Arata like Arata did his grandfather... that they're the ones who introduced them to competitive Karuta and thus, their God of Karuta. While not totally out yet, that did put a big gaping hole in the ArataXChihaya ship.
Wow, you're the first viewer I've come across to that actually got this episode right. Everyone else thinks this episode puts Arata ahead of Taichi in the shipping race....

But you're right. Because of the long separation, Chihaya's impression of Arata, which was already pretty strong due to him basically changing her life, grew so huge that it became almost worshiping. This definitely puts a wall between them as possible romantic partners because she's unable to see him as an equal.

At any rate, I'm impressed by your comprehension prowess.
Old 2011-11-02, 11:50   Link #342
4Tran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kazu-kun View Post
Wow, you're the first viewer I've come across to that actually got this episode right. Everyone else thinks this episode puts Arate ahead of Taichi in the shipping race....
The question is whether anyone is going to catch Harada sensei.
Old 2011-11-02, 11:53   Link #343
Kazu-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Tran View Post
Not a chance. Harada's waifu NTR'd the hell out of poor Chihaya.
Old 2011-11-02, 12:15   Link #344
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Tran View Post
There's the friendzone, and then there's the "I don't plan to go to jail so forget it" zone...
Guardian Enzo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-02, 12:54   Link #345
Sol Falling

Quote:
Wow, you're the first viewer I've come across to that actually got this episode right. Everyone else thinks this episode puts Arata ahead of Taichi in the shipping race....

But you're right. Because of the long separation, Chihaya's impression of Arata, which was already pretty strong due to him basically changing her life, grew so huge that it became almost worshiping. This definitely puts a wall between them as possible romantic partners because she's unable to see him as an equal.

That's not really true. While what Chihaya and Arata both "worshipped" in others was their experience and love of Karuta, there's no reason to think that Chihaya can't see Arata as an equal in terms of skill or competitive play. Particularly given Chihaya's personality as portrayed in earlier episodes, this much should already be clear.

Beyond that, Chihaya's illusion of Arata has already been pretty much shattered by this episode anyway.

I'd say the real obstacle to an Arata x Chihaya romantic relationship is in the fact that they both seem to appreciate comraderie in Karuta much more than love of the romantic variety. Frankly, that's an obstacle that I hope will stick around, for a good period of time at least.
Sol Falling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-02, 13:22   Link #346
Kazu-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sol Falling View Post
That's not really true.
I don't want to give away anything so for now let's just agree to disagree.
Old 2011-11-02, 13:25   Link #347
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

Quote:

Although I'm inclined to agree, I think this is just us projecting our values onto the story. I think that it really could go ArataxChihaya despite the fact that to us, Chihaya seems to be more in love with an idealised Arata than the real one. I mean there already seems to be a genuine Alternative Character Interpretation with Taichi's girlfriend between us and the story...

I do however think that Taichi has such great chemistry with Chihaya that I don't think Arata could match. But really I also doubt that Chihaya will pick either one. It'll probably be another Star Driver ending
Haak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-02, 13:39   Link #348
Kazu-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haak View Post
Although I'm inclined to agree, I think this is just us projecting our values onto the story. I think that it really could go ArataxChiyaha despite the fact that to us, Chihaya seems to be more in love with an idealised Arata than the real one.
Don't get me wrong. It's not that I think an ArataxChihaya pairing is impossible. I'm just saying this episode makes it clear there's a wall between them that Chihaya would need to break through in order for this to happen.

Quote:
I mean there already seems to be a genuine Alternative Character Interpretation with Taichi's girlfriend between us and the story...
Definitely. People here are way overreacting over the girlfriend thing.

Quote:
I do however think that Taichi has such great chemistry with Chiyaha that I don't think Arata could match. But really I also doubt that Chiyaha will pick either one. It'll probably be another Star Driver ending.
The romance isn't the focus but it's way too strong a subplot not to resolve it. I think there will be a conclusion to the love triangle, otherwise it'll to feel like a cop-out IMO.

Last edited by Kazu-kun; 2011-11-02 at 14:30.
Kazu-kun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-02, 13:59   Link #349
Sides

Quote:
I do however think that Taichi has such great chemistry with Chihaya that I don't think Arata could match. But really I also doubt that Chihaya will pick either one. It'll probably be another Star Driver ending
I get the feeling that Arata would back-down if Taichi tells him, that he has feelings for Chihaya. But if he stays being a wimp, I doubt Arata would respect him as a potential partner for Chihaya, even if he himself is not interested in her.
Sides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-02, 14:08   Link #350
ars89
One-Eyed Dragon

Lol Taichi ditched his girlfriend to accompany Chihaya. Like how he tried to ask Chihaya who she liked and she said Harada-sensei. Like how she wrote little discussion points on the wrappers. Only Chihaya would run after someone on a bike and knock him down instead of calling out and asking the to stop. The best part about her is her childish personality. Nice job by Taichi to agree to help her start a club.

So he basically blames himself for not being there when his Grandfather had a relapse because he was at a Karuta tournament. First of its not his fault that his grandfather had a relapse and i'm sure his grandfather wanted him to go to the tournament instead of being home with him. Though losing a loved one does cause severe grief. Glad he read the letter and chased after them wanting to still be friends. Might take time for him to come back to Karuta, but at least they can still be friends.
Old 2011-11-02, 14:12   Link #351
Razziell22

Hmm, I just had this random thought (i don't read the manga btw) What if Taichi's girlfriend is an arrangement by his Parents...what if they chose him a 'girlfriend' because of her family status, maybe something to do with business or whatever. So maybe there is a reason why he says that he doesn't 'love' her? but despite this, is still with her. Just speculating >_< i might be completely wrong and there might be another problem/reason, or non at all...

Last edited by Razziell22; 2011-11-02 at 14:22.
Razziell22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-02, 14:22   Link #352
Kazu-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razziell22 View Post
i might be completely wrong and there might be another problem/reason, or not at all...
The only problem is that everyone is thinking too much about it IMO. We don't even know her name.
Old 2011-11-02, 14:26   Link #353
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

I was actually hoping she'd be more relevant since she seemed to be a genuine part of Taichi's life.

Last edited by Haak; 2011-11-02 at 15:09.
Old 2011-11-02, 14:30   Link #354
Sides

Isn't Taichi's girlfriend and Arata's neighbour voiced by the same seiyuu? If so, I totally expect that they are really minor characters.
Sides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-02, 14:35   Link #355
sikvod00

^ Haha. Yeah, when I found that out I thought the same thing. Such laziness can indicate how inconsequential the person will be to the story.
sikvod00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-02, 14:42   Link #356
LKK

Quote:
Hmm, I just had this random thought (i don't read the manga btw) What if Taichi's girlfriend is an arrangement by his Parents...what if they chose him a 'girlfriend' because of her family status, maybe something to do with business or whatever. So maybe there is a reason why he says that he doesn't 'love' her? but despite this, is still with her. Just speculating >_< i might be completely wrong and there might be another problem/reason, or non at all...
I don't think it's an arranged relationship. IIRC, Taichi said that she confessed to him and he accepted her suggestion to date each other. That doesn't sound like an arranged relationship to me, especially not one arranged by his parents.

To me, it's another sign of Taichi's one great flaw -- his inability to fight against what others want if it's not what he wants. He's afraid to displease others. He'll do almost anything -- steal, lie, or sacrifice himself -- in order to avoid displeasing others. That's why Arata called him a coward. IMO, Taichi's true growth moment will come when he refuses someone by saying "No, I don't want to do that. I'm going to do this instead!" and sticks with his decision.

Avatar: Hazuki of Natsuyuki Rendezvous / Signature: flowers from Natsuyuki Rendezvous

Last edited by LKK; 2011-11-02 at 14:44. Reason: added comment about coward & did some rewording
LKK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-02, 14:56   Link #357
Razziell22

Quote:
Originally Posted by LKK View Post
I don't think it's an arranged relationship. IIRC, Taichi said that she confessed to him and he accepted her suggestion to date each other. That doesn't sound like an arranged relationship to me, especially not one arranged by his parents.
ah yeah, you're right he did say that...i totally forgot about it >_<

Quote:
The only problem is that everyone is thinking too much about it IMO. We don't even know her name.
I don't really have a big problem with that, is just that... I really like Chihaya's interactions with Taichi... so it's kind of a shame that he dose have one xP
Old 2011-11-02, 15:03   Link #358
Kazu-kun

Quote:
I don't really have a big problem with that, is just that... I really like Chihaya's interactions with Taichi... so it's kind of a shame that he dose have one xP
It's not a shame, it's meaningless. So just forget about it, sit back, and enjoy the interaction between Chihaya and Taichi.
Old 2011-11-02, 15:10   Link #359
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

I think everyone knows her purpose in the story is meaningless. It's just that some might feel there are Unfortunate Implications in that. Or maybe some are just invoking Death Of The Author.
Old 2011-11-02, 15:56   Link #360
Kaoru Chujo
Yuuki Aoi

Quote:
...I do however think that Taichi has such great chemistry with Chihaya that I don't think Arata could match. But really I also doubt that Chihaya will pick either one. It'll probably be another Star Driver ending
I'm not sure about the chemistry. He tails along with her, enabling and agreeing, right up to the point he breaks and drags her from Arata's home. I'm not sure they understand each other at all.

But I also think we could easily end with her not romantically involved with anyone. Her sakura-shrouded view of Arata might not have been a romantic view at all, just a view of the god.
YUUKI Aoi 悠木碧. b92.03.27 (age 29). 2008 Kurenai (Murasaki). 2009 Yumeiro Pâtissière (Ichigo), Kiruminzuu (Riko), Yutori-chan (Yutori-chan). 2010 Vampire Bund (Mina Tepeş), Shiki (Sunako), Samurai Girls (Juubee), Pokémon: Black and White (Iris). 2011 Madoka Magica (Madoka), Gosick (Victorique), A-Channel (Tooru). 2012 Symphogear (Hibiki). 2014 Pilot's Love Song (Claire/Nina), Nanatsu no Taizai (Diane). 2015 Owari no Seraph (Krul Tepes), Rokka no Yuusha (Fremy). 2016 Boku no Hero Academia (Tsuyu, Froppy). 2017 Kino no Tabi (Kino). 2021 Kumo desu ga (watashi), Kaizoku Oujo (Karin), Heike Monogatari (Biwa), etc., etc. Total of 513 roles in anime and games.
Kaoru Chujo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
josei, karuta, madhouse