Old 2004-02-27, 15:46   Link #21
OhJustSomeRandomGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by MwyC
what about deus ex?
that was a great RPG/action title a few years ago
im not so much a fan of the second one, but the first had a crazy complex story
i loved it
No it didn't have a crazy complex story.

It was fun, though. I really dug it...except for the parts where they had Asian people in it, and they couldn't figure out anything to do with them except make them into stereotypes...also, the fake "decisions" that you could make and they'd just end up going down the same path.
OhJustSomeRandomGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-03-01, 17:26   Link #22
CelestiaLegends

GAAH running on a 600 mhz box and a voodoo video card means I don't even meet the min. requirements for FFXI...='( but I've tried Baulders Gate and lets just say...I've learned to stick to japanese RPG's.
CelestiaLegends is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-03-01, 17:44   Link #23
Iori Branford
UH OH SEI IS A KITTY

FF was fine back then (FF6 and 7 doubly so, as they helped me ease into the RPG genre), but at this point I am ready to lay it to rest for good.

But since US and Japanese roleplaying are one and the same, I am quite sure I will never come to a decision over either, ever. All the core roleplaying elements are present in both styles: traveling around the world, meeting people, finding treasure, fighting bad guys, building skills and experience, all as part of one great big storyline. Whatever differences exist betwixt the two of them are too superficial to mean anything to me.

Last edited by Iori Branford; 2004-03-01 at 18:00.
Iori Branford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-03-01, 18:01   Link #24
BluWacky
尻の竜

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhJustSomeRandomGuy
It's "La Pucelle" and it's actually the prequel to Disgaea (not in terms of "plot", it was actually released 2 years before Disgaea.) looks like it's coming in March. The guy at Netjak who does imports likes SRPGs so he imports a lot of those. He had a lot of good things to say about Disgaea, Front Mission 4, and Generation of Chaos III. Bad things to say about Venus & Braves.
Then the man is mad. Venus and Braves is an excellent game - it's nothing like the other SRPGs he likes, though, it's much more story-based and relies on forward planning and thought as opposed to tedious, endless levelling up.
BluWacky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-03-01, 18:46   Link #25
OhJustSomeRandomGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by BluWacky
Then the man is mad. Venus and Braves is an excellent game - it's nothing like the other SRPGs he likes, though, it's much more story-based and relies on forward planning and thought as opposed to tedious, endless levelling up.
Well, from what I gather from his review, there wasn't much strategy at all to the fights, which was why he was ticked. How'd he put it....

"Combat is SO simplistic that for the most part you can start combat, and then go over to the restroom, or grab a bowl of cereal, or read a book, and NEVER have to worry about any characters dying. When the text tells you that you should be expecting a long, drawn out battle, they mean 2 to 3 rounds."

and this paragraph here:

"Also, you attack every enemy from the front. How lame is that?! The whole point of the strategy RPG genre is to go around flanking and attacking the enemy from behind by outmaneuvering them. No outmaneuvering to be done here. Apparently, nothing you attack is smart enough to surprise you. You have advanced data on the monster, right down the number of hit points it has. If you want, you can figure out exactly how every battle will go, right down to who will deliver the killing blow, and all it takes is very simple math. None of your characters ever miss and the enemy never misses. The strategy in this strategy RPG has been left by the wayside and the gameplay value of the game plummets. "

I can't imagine playing a strategy RPG where you don't really move...is this really as weird as it sounds? You attack EVERY enemy in the game head on? You can figure out all the fights ahead of time?

Anyway, if you want to read his full review it's here:

http://www.netjak.com/review.php/299

Looks like the rest of the game really rocks...except for the gameplay.
Old 2004-03-01, 20:04   Link #26
Newprimus
NO ESCAPE FROM NYAAA
*Artist

You want a great western RPG, play Morrowind.

Or Planescape Torment.
Old 2004-03-01, 21:25   Link #27
orochidp
Hide the kids

Disgaea is my new favorite game. I got it for Christmas, and I've been playing it daily ever since...

...and Morrowind is awesome too. Too bad I can only really play it on the XBOX... even though I've found the way to use the mods on it... well, the PC version wins...

I'm tired of Square's need to overdo every game they put out. Hopefully, Enix won't screw up with Star Ocean 3, or Squeenix isn't gonna see another penny from me...
orochidp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-03-01, 22:00   Link #28
OhJustSomeRandomGuy

Please.

Even if they overhype a game, their stuff is still better than 85% of the crap out there. X-2 was kinda weak, but I'd play X-2 anyday over something like Mortal Kombat Gold or Tomb Raider, or anything by THQ. You wanna do something useful? Boycott Acclaim or Interplay or Midway.
Old 2004-03-01, 22:24   Link #29
orochidp
Hide the kids

Quote:
Boycott Acclaim or Interplay or Midway.
Been there, done that.

It's not that Square's games are bad, they've just drifted from my likes. If they keep heading away from my tastes, I won't buy a game from them. It's simple. I thought FFX was awful, and FFX-2 was probably the worst 6 hours of my life. I couldn't push myself to beat it. Good thing I trust my instincts and only borrowed it...

And it's the principals of Square that I don't like. They keep following the same stories, with the same settings.
Once, JUST ONCE, I'd like to play a FF that's not set in a post-apocalyptic world. They bother me because it's EVERY FF except FF1.
Although... FFXII is looking nice...
The whole "Full Camera Control" makes me feel nice inside... but looking at the Square-Manditory effeminate male lead makes me feel bad. Do they have some FF rulebook? Does every male have to look sexier than their female co-pilots?
Old 2004-03-02, 00:16   Link #30
Newprimus
NO ESCAPE FROM NYAAA
*Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by orochidp
but looking at the Square-Manditory effeminate male lead makes me feel bad. Do they have some FF rulebook? Does every male have to look sexier than their female co-pilots?
I'm not sure, but FFXII's looking to push this to really far levels.

I think every FF beyond 6, maybe 7, has been of a drastically different flavor than the previous half of the series. Storywise and characterwise, 6 and 7 were probably the last greats of the FF series.
Old 2004-03-02, 04:24   Link #31
deathxorxdefeat

As much as i'm in love with Final Fantasys,concider I own all the numbers except the non-released FFIII for nes,but thats why there is emulators,^_^.But your not missing much in FFX-2,but i'm about to rent this game and I liked FFT and my friend said this is much better,you agree?
deathxorxdefeat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-03-02, 10:18   Link #32
orochidp
Hide the kids

IMO, Disgaea is at LEAST 10 times better than FFT. The battles are faster, the stat system is insane, the Item World is an excellent idea, the ability to throw characters/enemies is awesome, and the art style is superb. If you liked FFT, chances run high that you'll love Disgaea.
Old 2004-03-02, 13:06   Link #33
OhJustSomeRandomGuy

I like Tactics better, but I like Disgaea better than Tactics Advance.

Item World's a great idea, except for the idea that you get items out of the Item Worlds. That shouldn't happen.