Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Reviews & Recommendations

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2006-08-26, 12:08   Link #1
tun
lolwut
*Fansubber

High School Romance Manga

Something in the vein of Suzuka, Pastel, Parallel, etc. A hot and/or tsundere main female character is a plus. Indecisive main male character is a given. I'd prefer manga that doesn't have an anime version.

CHILDHOOD FRIENDS ARE A PLUS!

Last edited by tun; 2006-08-26 at 14:21.
Old 2006-08-26, 13:39   Link #2
rooboy
Umeboshi!

The obvious one is I''s, and I'm sure someone will make a similar recommendation with good reasons why.
Gacha Gacha - the first five volumes make up one "season" about a girl with different personalities, the next part is about a different cast (kind of ancillary to the cast from the first part) and a boy who turns into a girl when he sneezes. Both occurences are caused by the Gacha Gacha game within the story.
Another series in that vein is IO, though IO has a definite supernatural bent to it. It is about, well, I can't really say what it's about without giving too much away, but it involves a romance (kind of a weird triangle at that) and elements of a supernatural thriller involving one of the girls.
Another example (though I'm not as fond of the art) is Open Sesame - about a boy who moves to Tokyo and starts a boxing club at what was (until recently) an all girl's school.
Old 2006-08-26, 14:08   Link #3
tun
lolwut
*Fansubber

I've read I''S and Gacha Gacha, liked them both. I will check out Open Sesame though.

I should mention, childhood friends are a BIG plus.

Checked out Open Sesame, and the drawing style is a bit too old for my tastes. Also, the boxing thing is kinda annoying for me. I'd prefer just normal slice of life high school romance.

Last edited by tun; 2006-08-26 at 14:25.
Old 2006-08-26, 14:31   Link #4
jedinat

Salad Days is a long running manga full of shounen romance short stories (all high school I think).

Video Girl Ai is supposed to be very good... it's high school romance, but with some sci-fi.

I've heard people praising the Ichigo 100% manga also... though I hated the anime.
Old 2006-08-26, 15:08   Link #5
MamoruUsagi

Happy Hustle High
Mars
Kare First Love
The Devil Does Exist
Paradise Kiss
Marmalade Boy
Peach Girl
Kare Kano
Wild Act
Bokura ga Ita
Absolute Boyfriend
Fushigi Yugi
High School Debut
Ultra Cute
Happy Hustle High
Doubt!!
Akuma De Sourou
Love Attack
Ultra Maniac
Missile Happy!
Sand Chronicles
Sensual Phrase
Ceres Celestial Legend
Punch!
Fushigi Yuugi

Happy Hustle High

A cute manga where the couple gets together in the beginning and is dating and in a relationship during the series, shares lots of kisses and a passionate relationship.

Mars

A realistic romance manga, where the couple gets together in the beginning and is dating and in a relationship during the series. Sex, rape, suicide, romance and many serious topics are covered.

Peach Girl

A realistic manga everyone can relate to. 18 volumes. The volumes are released in a differet order. Volumes 1-8 are released as Peach Girl and Volumes 9-18 are released as Peach Girl Change of Heart, 1-10. So make sure you get the right volumes in the right orde.r a series everyone can relate to.

The Devil Does Exist

A very realistic romance manga series.

Marmalade Boy

A great series.

Doubt!!

A school drama series.

High School Debut

A cute series.

Kare First Love

A serious and very realistic romance manga series.

Bokura ga Ita

Realistic romance series.

Wild Act

Amazing romance manga series.

Missile Happy!

Sweet romance manga about a couple living together.

Kare Kano

A school drama series.

Love Attack

A school romance series.

Paradise Kiss

A realistic romance manga series.

Ultra Cute

A school drama series.

Absolute Boyfriend

Another great series.

Fushigi Yugi

Is a wonderful fantasy/romance series. While it's different from what you asked for, I truly recommend all 18 volumes of the manga for a wonderful romance.

Fushigi Yuugi

Is the full title of the wonderful romance series.

Akuma De Sourou

Realistic romance series.

Sensual Phrase

Romance series

Ceres Celestial Legend

Their are many school scenes, lots of kissing and 5 sex scenes.

Last edited by MamoruUsagi; 2010-07-25 at 13:09.
Old 2006-08-26, 16:17   Link #6
rooboy
Umeboshi!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tun
I've read I''S and Gacha Gacha, liked them both. I will check out Open Sesame though.
If you liked Gacha Gacha you might check out Boys Be... a series of romance short stories (I think there's twenty volumes in all) by the same author.

I can understand the Open Sesame complaint. On the one hand, the boxing isn't really a part of it except to set up conflict between him and the ruling class of girls at the school, on the other hand, it does have a dated art style.
Old 2006-08-26, 17:16   Link #7
DragoonKain3
Osana-Najimi Shipper

Tun, looking at your sig, its no wonder you love childhood friend couples. Ureshii (Astrea Testament), Megami (Zegapain), and orz (Kamisama Kaizoku). And how do I know all these? Well, I absolutely adore childhood friends too. XD

As for suggestions, take your pick with one of Adachi's manga. The one's with 'childhood friends' include Touch, Miyuki and Rough. Iit seems though that almost all of Adachi's couples behave as if they were childhood friends even if they aren't at all, so I recommend them all. Apart from H2 that is...

Shoujomagic also has a smattering of childhood friend stories. Bitter, Boku ga Utau to Kimi wa Warau kara, Chiko no Negai, Kimi Sae mo Ai no Kusari, Milk and Vitamin, Netsu Shisen, Nude, Shoujo Ningyo, Sakuragoaka Angels, The Prince Who Fell in Love, Watashi no Shounen, and Yume Miru Happa are either:
1) anthologies who have at least 1 childhood friends story
or
2) are full series that are about childhood friends.

Like H2, I suggest you stay clear of Mucha Kucha Daisuki and don't touch it with a ten foot pole if you love childhood friend couples as much as I do...

For licensed, the one that sticks to mind the most is Never Give Up, though there should be more but I forgot.

Yes its YOU childhood friend - source of BERZERKER RAGE since forever
Childhood Friend couple STATISTICS(spoilers abound though)
Old 2006-08-26, 20:40   Link #8
tun
lolwut
*Fansubber

Haha yeah, almost all the projects I work on have childhood friends. Thanks so much for all of your recommendations. Looks like I will be very busy with all of it.