AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Music

Notices

Old 2006-11-23, 22:16   Link #1
Scribble
Sloth

Send a message via MSN to Scribble
Does GENDER of a singer matter?

I find that most of the music I like is sung by women, and I'm a guy. I think it's odd since most of my male friends, as well as a few male members of this forum have listed mostly male artists as their favourites. Is this a coincedence, or does the gender of the singer make a difference....(edit) to you?

Last edited by Scribble; 2006-11-23 at 23:03.
Scribble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-11-23, 22:59   Link #2
CeDeR
Inactive Member

Send a message via ICQ to CeDeR Send a message via AIM to CeDeR Send a message via Yahoo to CeDeR
women reach higher tones....
CeDeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-11-24, 02:41   Link #3
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

If I browse my music collection... women tend to be represented more often than men simply because I like hearing them sing... be it jpop, rock, Indonesian village songs, or Finnish traditional. But I don't specifically prefer one over the other, it just depends on what and how they sing, be it AC/DC, Joan Jett, System of a Down, Offspring, Ozzie, Jethro Tull, Blondie, ZONE, Uwa, Hinoi Team, Enya, BBKing, ZZTop, Stevie Ray Vaughn, Tibetan Monks, Folk Songs of Indonesia, ad infinitum.
Old 2006-11-24, 09:21   Link #4
Keios
Q(°.°Q)

It does matter for me. Women sound better, it's as simple as that.

And I'm a guy, too.
Keios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-11-28, 09:31   Link #5
sleeplessNites
being rock till senseless

I prefer men's voice back in those days when gun n roses, nirvana and beyond(chinese rock band) splatter blood through my speakers.

Nowadays i would settle for high-pitch moans ; 9
sleeplessNites is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-11-28, 18:54   Link #6
Rich
AnimeSuki's Hentai-sama

Send a message via ICQ to Rich Send a message via MSN to Rich
yes... sometimes people like to listen to female singers because they're hot.

for example : tatu or was it tattoo (the lesbian singer group)
Rich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-11-29, 15:33   Link #7
Shounen
Away for good

Quote:
Originally Posted by CeDeR View Post
I 2nd that!

Also, since I dont listen to gdfh western music.. cant say much.
Shounen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-11-30, 03:58   Link #8
tenor

no doesnt matter
tenor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-11-30, 13:45   Link #9
niwasatou
mind the gap
*Artist

Send a message via MSN to niwasatou
I prefer female singers. Can't really explain why.
niwasatou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-11-30, 14:13   Link #10
psycho bolt
Cowmaster

It doesn't matter for me. Sometimes I get sick of the singing so I go listen to some orchestra music, classic, or theme songs.
psycho bolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-11-30, 16:08   Link #11
Sazelyt
Μ ε r c ü r υ

It pretty much depends on the way you get used to in responding different voices and the styles you have associated with the gender.

For instance, for me, male voice is more suited for rock, whereas female voice is more suited for pop, or stronger male voice with stronger music and softer female voice with soft type music (I guess that is one of the reasons you usually get either screaming or highly special-voiced female singers in rock - this way they can use that singing/voice as the missing piece in their songs, such as complementing the sound of the music.). They usually meet at the middle, this is why you get a relatively equal number of genders in pop-rock style for instance.

You might have also noticed this in the case of anime-theme songs, where the males are given the priority in rock songs, and females are given the priority in soft-pop songs.
Sazelyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-11-30, 21:22   Link #12
Ov3rlock
Excalibong Owner

Send a message via MSN to Ov3rlock
Distillers singer,Brody Dalle, has a strong and lazy voice. I like do hear her singing, woman with strog voices.... they're the best. Like Joan Jet, Shamaya From otep, the girl from Arch Enemy. Etc... Also there's guys with soft voices like Sebastian from Skid Row.... i dont like them XP!

Doesn't matter to me.... i think version in all gender are nice.... like some folk song of Bob Dillan, they sound wounderful in female voices....

Last edited by Ov3rlock; 2006-11-30 at 21:34.
Ov3rlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-12-01, 02:47   Link #13
Shounen
Away for good

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sazelyt View Post
It pretty much depends on the way you get used to in responding different voices and the styles you have associated with the gender.

For instance, for me, male voice is more suited for rock, whereas female voice is more suited for pop, or stronger male voice with stronger music and softer female voice with soft type music (I guess that is one of the reasons you usually get either screaming or highly special-voiced female singers in rock - this way they can use that singing/voice as the missing piece in their songs, such as complementing the sound of the music.). They usually meet at the middle, this is why you get a relatively equal number of genders in pop-rock style for instance.

You might have also noticed this in the case of anime-theme songs, where the males are given the priority in rock songs, and females are given the priority in soft-pop songs.
For your "rock", take H&MC for example.
And for the rest. There's 3 types of music styles (not genres, which in one or another case mean the same thing)) in Japan. One for Otakus (Singers dedicated to Animes/Games (VN's)). Another one for Commoners (for the rest of the population/world). And the last one is a mixed version of both.

This however those not exist in the West, as far as I know.
I wont bring up any examples, on what singers/groups do this and that..
Shounen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-12-01, 04:37   Link #14
Areguzanda
Ecchi!

hmm
don't really know.
but my favorite singer is: Cheza in Wolf's Rain
( sure not her real name but so what :P )
damn...now thats a voice from the heavens
Areguzanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-12-01, 11:16   Link #15
RaistlinMajere
Now in MHD!
*Fansubber

I prefer classic rock over Japanese music, and I prefer male singers. For the little Japanese music I do listen to, I do tend to like female singers.
RaistlinMajere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-12-02, 02:55   Link #16
Misuzu
Dribble.....SHOOTOH!

I'm naturally inclined to like something more if it's sung by a female.

If a song isn't good or not my taste, it's not going to make a difference, but I might wind up loving a so-so song because it is sung by a lady with a lovely voice.
Misuzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-12-02, 04:48   Link #17
Lebron
I hear voices

Doesn't matter to me. I've heard a few guy singers sing higher than alot of Female singers. I listen to pretty much any type of music, except country, just all depends on the type of mood I'm in.

Like for instance, all yesturday I was listening to hard rock, like Breaking Benjamin and Disturbed. Then today, I busted a 180, and started listening to Dj Sammys Heaven( Candlelight Remix) and some Utada Hiakru. So go figure. But hey, It impressed my current girlfriend enough to start dating me.
Lebron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-12-04, 01:49   Link #18
mintyfresh
Altoid

Quote:
Originally Posted by CeDeR View Post
This is true.

Personally, I tend to stray from most male Japanese artists or bands with a male lead. ..So many of them seem to have this weird Elvis vibe about their voices... Why so many girls go crazy over that (and their apparent affinity with crossdressing) is beyond me.
mintyfresh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-12-04, 03:16   Link #19
Areguzanda
Ecchi!

ok. now I have a new favorite song.
just finished watching Tsubasa Chronicle and this song is just about the most beautiful song I have ever heard:
Kaze no Machi e (English: To the Town of Wind)

man this song is heaven.
now I listen to it twice before I go to sleep at night
Areguzanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-12-06, 15:02   Link #20
MadHatter_Tamaki
Ouran Junkie ><

Send a message via AIM to MadHatter_Tamaki Send a message via MSN to MadHatter_Tamaki Send a message via Yahoo to MadHatter_Tamaki
That nice XD

I tend to go toward female voice more than male in Japanese music, like mintyfresh said, they all kinda sound the same with that Elvis thing.
I know I love BoA's voice but she's not really Japanese now is she. >.>
MadHatter_Tamaki is offline   Reply With Quote