AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Hanasaku Iroha

Notices

Old 2011-04-06, 03:32   Link #381
someone`

Quote:
Originally Posted by mysterious View Post
Coming from a Vietnamese family here. Yes, corporal punishment is the norm when I grow up. Yes, the punishment makes me not do stuff that my parent judge to be "bad." And guess what? I disown my father and hate all that shit that call "tradition" with a passion. I just wish there is a law that allow me to pay back all the hit and slap that I receive as a child, now that I am an adult with enough strength to defend myself. Oh and they call those hitting "touch love", I guess now that I am to touch for them to show me their "touch love" again. Tradition my ass! And thanks for all that fear and negative influence that will remain for a long long time!

/end rant.
Are you me ?
I'm Vietnamese too .
The result of all those "touch love" is now I'm NEET for 9 years and on .
someone` is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-06, 05:34   Link #382
Decagon
This was meaningless
*Scanlator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaoru Chujo View Post
I've just made a characters/seiyuus page for this show, with pics of all the main characters and their seiyuus, and a bit of info about each.
Just curious, but are the voices they are using closer to their normal voices than any of their other roles? Except for Itou Kanae, I was not able to place any of them at all--especially Noto Mamiko.
Decagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-06, 08:18   Link #383
Peanutbutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Decagon View Post
Just curious, but are the voices they are using closer to their normal voices than any of their other roles? Except for Itou Kanae, I was not able to place any of them at all--especially Noto Mamiko.
You can't decipher Aki Toyosaki?

Haven't start a series that isn't shounen, moe, ecchi and ero for a long time. This is gonna be good.
Peanutbutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-06, 09:09   Link #384
Irisiel

So far I really like Ohana, but I don't like Minko who tells people that they should die, with the grandmother, I think she's a bit like the adults in Glass no Kamen (hey, Ohana is spirited like Maya, so Grandmother=Tsukikage?), who believes that whips works better than carrots.

The fact that Ohana, who is two generations younger and have moved from the very modern city to the country, to a very traditional job and grandmother, seems to set up a conflict of old culture versus new culture, and how Ohana (who has no respect for the wisdom of her elders, or at least, no reason to respect her elders considering her mother and her mother's boyfriend) will learn that young people haven't learned everything yet, but also that the grandmother will learn that using positive reinforcements might not just be a thing lazy whippersnappers thought out.

Also, I can see that the harshness from Minko and the cook is a reflection of grandmother's punitive managing style. If Minko doesn't do everything perfect, the cook catches the heat, for example. I think they will soften as Ohana settles in (and maybe the grandmother softens as well).
Irisiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-06, 09:20   Link #385
JediNight
キズランダム

I wasn't listening that closely to the voices for Ep1, but it took me a bit to recognize Mamiko Noto, since she was downplaying her wispy style that is her telltale. I finally heard a bit of it at the end of one of her sentences and knew then.

I really like Ohana so far. Very realistic for a 16yo girl, without being condescending or misogynistic. And even though she's not had any experience with a job before, or even knew what she was getting herself into out here, she is trying to get through it.

Major points for asking for punishment as well, and saying "Thank you sir may I have another"
JediNight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-06, 09:29   Link #386
wingman32x

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irisiel View Post
So far I really like Ohana, but I don't like Minko who tells people that they should die, with the grandmother, I think she's a bit like the adults in Glass no Kamen (hey, Ohana is spirited like Maya, so Grandmother=Tsukikage?), who believes that whips works better than carrots.

The fact that Ohana, who is two generations younger and have moved from the very modern city to the country, to a very traditional job and grandmother, seems to set up a conflict of old culture versus new culture, and how Ohana (who has no respect for the wisdom of her elders, or at least, no reason to respect her elders considering her mother and her mother's boyfriend) will learn that young people haven't learned everything yet, but also that the grandmother will learn that using positive reinforcements might not just be a thing lazy whippersnappers thought out.

Also, I can see that the harshness from Minko and the cook is a reflection of grandmother's punitive managing style. If Minko doesn't do everything perfect, the cook catches the heat, for example. I think they will soften as Ohana settles in (and maybe the grandmother softens as well).
I had similar thoughts. By the end of the episode, Micchi's behavior made a lot more sense. The grandma is very old fashioned.

This episode will probably set up a new vs. old culture conflict like you said. Personally, I want Ohana to make her eat crow, earning her respect in the process. Surprise the Grandma by basically making her realize how stubborn she's been. Stun her using these 'foolish' new age concepts. Make her realize that there are other ways to get respect. Basically stuff like that.

The most interesting part of this whole thing IMO will be the personal relationship between Ohana and the Grandma. It's going to be a long and windy road in that regard.
wingman32x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-06, 11:25   Link #387
zeth006

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
Aye... I think many of our younger viewers --- really aren't aware of how *recent* the idea of "striking the child is bad" is. I remember being instructed to find and construct the switch grandma would use to punish me for some infraction. Right branch, strip the leaves, ow.
WOW. That reminds me. Kids these days don't get hit by their parents at all. No wonder everyone seems pissed about that.
zeth006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-06, 11:39   Link #388
zero7090

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeth006 View Post
WOW. That reminds me. Kids these days don't get hit by their parents at all. No wonder everyone seems pissed about that.
Read my post again. I could not count how many time my butt and palm was spanking in the past. However spanking is one thing but slapping is a entirely different matter.
zero7090 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-06, 11:57   Link #389
totoum
Me at work

Send a message via MSN to totoum
The whole grandma talk is reminding me of this article
Old 2011-04-06, 13:21   Link #390
Tyabann
Homo Ludens

Quote:
Originally Posted by zero7090 View Post
However spanking is one thing but slapping is a entirely different matter.
...Why? Because it's more humiliating?
Tyabann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-06, 13:24   Link #391
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

I would've thought spanking would be more humiliating...
Haak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-06, 13:31   Link #392
Tyabann
Homo Ludens

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haak View Post
I would've thought spanking would be more humiliating...
....True enough.
Old 2011-04-06, 13:36   Link #393
U<3Anime
Boo!

Wow....I'm kind of surprised to see a cultural clash because of the grandma's actions. Why hate on the grandma so much? She looks like one badass and kind grandma like the one in Summer Wars.
Old 2011-04-06, 13:51   Link #394
Fenrir_valindri
Miria's #1 Disciple

Quote:
Exactly, people have a very extreme reaction to it due to modern views on the subject.

I'm not saying they are wrong about this issue, but they have to understand that this is still relatively common practice, and is no real reason to hate the Grandmother. It was simply the way things were done in her generation.

That said, some kids I see in public places that are incredibly disrespectful/disruptive these days really could stand a few spankings. It is pretty sad to see a parent cave in to there kids demand because there kid throws a fit if they don't comply.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zero7090 View Post
Read my post again. I could not count how many time my butt and palm was spanking in the past. However spanking is one thing but slapping is a entirely different matter.
It really isn't, not when your dealing with a teenager. Bending them over and spanking them isn't viable, and hitting their palm really doesn't do much either.

Slapping them at that age is about the only viable form of corporal punishment, it is something that can't be shrugged off and is humiliating when others are present to witness it.
Old 2011-04-06, 14:08   Link #395
TurkeyPotPie
fushigi ojisan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenrir_valindri View Post
That said, some kids I see in public places that are incredibly disrespectful/disruptive these days really could stand a few spankings. It is pretty sad to see a parent cave in to there kids demand because there kid throws a fit if they don't comply.
I agree with this. As a child I would never misbehave in public because I knew my mother would drag me out of the store and spank me right there in the parking lot. Nowadays you'd be thrown in jail for child abuse and have your children taken away by the state for doing that. And the kids know it.

One of my nephews recently graduated from high school, and while talking to him about kids "acting out" (what a ridiculous term) I was surprised to learn that he had never gone to a public school with corporal punishment. I guess I really am getting old because I graduated high school less than twenty years ago, and the last time I was paddled was in the tenth grade! There was no permission required from parents either, I was taken out by the shop teacher and paddled with a board from the wood pile. My, how times change.
TurkeyPotPie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-06, 14:32   Link #396
spawnofthejudge
Explodes when thrown
*IT Support

At least part of the problem with kids you see making scenes is that the parents either A, cave, or B, don't much care. Seen it a million times. That has nothing to do with whatever punishment they end up not administering to the child in question. Only that none gets administered.

I imagine (hope!) that this subject will get screen time to feed our discussion.

Interesting tidbit: There are states in the US where corporeal punishment of some kind is still legal in public schools, if rarely used.

And finally, I'll hate who I damn well please. I can always change my mind later.
Old 2011-04-06, 15:08   Link #397
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:
Originally Posted by spawnofthejudge View Post
At least part of the problem with kids you see making scenes is that the parents either A, cave, or B, don't much care. Seen it a million times. That has nothing to do with whatever punishment they end up not administering to the child in question. Only that none gets administered.
I respectfully disagree.

I do think that most kids can thankfully be effectively disciplined with out any corporeal punishment, but there are some kids that sadly won't listen to reason.

I've seen some young kids that seem to respect absolutely nothing but sheer physical force, and the implementation thereof.

Of course, such kids may turn out horrible any way, but corporeal punishment may be the only way to keep them in line at all while they're kids.

All of the above being said, I think that corporeal punishment's effectiveness greatly lowers as the child grows older, and is perhaps always inadvisable for teenagers.

Spanking, in particular, is not a wise choice for disciplining a teenager, for what I think are pretty obvious reasons.
Old 2011-04-06, 15:12   Link #398
Jao
panchi~

Corporal punishment has been pretty much debunked by developmental psychology, and an employer never has any right to hit her employees.

That being said, I'm sure granny will be shown to have a sympathetic side later.
Hiding behind tinted glasses and doors.
Jao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-06, 15:18   Link #399
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jao View Post
Corporal punishment has been pretty much debunked by developmental psychology,
You don't use corporal punishment as the primary means to steer long-term child-to-adult development. That's not the point of it, imo, and if a parent is using it for that, it'll likely backfire.

But you use it when nothing else works in the moment, and you need to get the child to settle down and stop misbehaving.

And like it or not, that still happens sometimes with some kids.

Just like not all adults will listen to reason (and hence need to be arrested and sent to jail), not all kids will listen to reason either (and hence corporeal punishment may be needed).

Now, that's not to defend the grandmother here. Ohana is quite able to listen to reason, I think. So in this case, corporeal punishment is almost certainly inadvisable.
Old 2011-04-06, 15:19   Link #400
Tyabann
Homo Ludens

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jao View Post
Corporal punishment has been pretty much debunked by developmental psychology
What psychologists say is often heavily influenced by the cultural attitudes surrounding them. It really wasn't that long ago that homosexuality was considered a mental disorder, for example.

Tags
comedy, coming of age, drama, p.a. works, pa works, romance, slice of life