AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Spice and Wolf

Notices

View Poll Results: Spice and Wolf - Episode 6 Rating
Perfect 10 57 54.81%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 31 29.81%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 11 10.58%
7 out of 10 : Good 5 4.81%
6 out of 10 : Average 0 0%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 0 0%
4 out of 10 : Poor 0 0%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 0 0%
Voters: 104. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2008-02-15, 03:31   Link #101
vivacioussky
Hyper Bunny

I hope this is acceptable for me to ask in here - but can anyone redirect me to where I may get some of the novel spoilers or summaries for this series. Google's been throwing futile searches so far.

I have seen 4 chapters of the manga so far and theres not much difference between anime and manga. Maybe the anime art is more superior in my opinion, and ofcourse the inclusion of Chloe. I do wonder if she was really necessary in the anime, seeing how the manga is going down the same path without having her.

Someone mentioned that Chloe could have been Lawrence's ticket to a "normal life" after his adventures with Horo draws to an end - but I think it highly unlikely especially after episode 6. Unless, Lawrence really starts to think like the rational merchant he is. In which case, it could be possible - though it wouldnt sit well with me, given what I have seen of Lawrence's character so far.
Old 2008-02-15, 08:27   Link #102
Sinestra
ショ ン (^^)
*IT Support

Send a message via AIM to Sinestra Send a message via MSN to Sinestra Send a message via Yahoo to Sinestra
After my second watch of episode 6 I finally noticed that when Chole is sitting in the bed after being scared shitless by Horo she is smiling. Anyone have a reason or at hypothesis as to why?
Old 2008-02-15, 09:23   Link #103
Supah Em
WHO DO YOU THINK WE ARE?!
*Scanlator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinestra View Post
After my second watch of episode 6 I finally noticed that when Chole is sitting in the bed after being scared shitless by Horo she is smiling. Anyone have a reason or at hypothesis as to why?
maybe she got insane?

theories:

1. Maybe she had other plans for Lawrence and Horo, hence the smile
2. Maybe she was happy seeing Lawrence again(unlikely though)
3. Or... for a long shot... she was a spy working for milone in which she pretends to work for the medioh company.
Old 2008-02-15, 09:45   Link #104
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Send a message via AIM to FlareKnight Send a message via MSN to FlareKnight
Maybe just happy to be alive. Considering the situation death would have been a pretty logical conclusion for her. Either that or she really did lose it.
Old 2008-02-15, 10:04   Link #105
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

supahem's item 3 is an interesting idea, given that milone did say they had internal contacts... it may be that Chloe was playing both sides (double-agent) so that either way she "won" (I've not read the novel to any point that might describe the character(s) she replaced having that scheme).
Old 2008-02-15, 10:08   Link #106
mikesince83
AnimeSuki Freshman

This is true...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
Its like the difference between the first 12 episode Kanon and the recent 24 episode version. The 12 episode version left out so much of the character interplay that whatever its merits - it was left as a "teaser" to the story rather than a full reading.
I'm not sure this is a valid comparison in context with Spice and Wolf. While they are both essentially romances, Kanon had five girls to work with, where as Lawrence is clearly a one woman man. Granted, Chloe played a similar role initially, but they have effectively eliminated her as a romantic interest for now.

Quote:
I guess "slow" is a matter of opinion though as is the opinion on whether mercantile conflict and intrigue is "dull and boring". I think the latter is kind of refreshing.
This is true, in essence it is personal opinion that rules preference, hence the inclusion of the word "comparatively". I realize there are those that find the economic discussions mentally stimulating. I simply believe that too much of this will keep the series from reaching it's true potential with viewers.
Old 2008-02-15, 10:28   Link #107
arkxkra
全力全開

NICE EPISODE!

I believe their relationship after this episode will increas a bit at least, Lawrence damn cool in this episode, he know how to fight(although being stab). Horo real form was quite cool as well, luckily now Lawrence seem like can accept the real form .

emotion of Chloe was very nice, when see Horo real form then direct stun there. don't simply make GOD angry, no god bless anymore .
Old 2008-02-15, 11:11   Link #108
Sinestra
ショ ン (^^)
*IT Support

Send a message via AIM to Sinestra Send a message via MSN to Sinestra Send a message via Yahoo to Sinestra
Quote:
Originally Posted by arkxkra View Post
NICE EPISODE!

I believe their relationship after this episode will increas a bit at least, Lawrence damn cool in this episode, he know how to fight(although being stab). Horo real form was quite cool as well, luckily now Lawrence seem like can accept the real form .

emotion of Chloe was very nice, when see Horo real form then direct stun there. don't simply make GOD angry, no god bless anymore .
I actually chuckled when Chole started whining about how its always like this and god was unfair she really did believe she was going to die i dont blame her. I agree with my impression of Lawrence went up in this episode as displayed a little GARness especially when he kicked that guy square in the BALLZ after being stabbed that was hardcore.
Old 2008-02-15, 11:32   Link #109
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikesince83 View Post
I'm not sure this is a valid comparison in context with Spice and Wolf. While they are both essentially romances, Kanon had five girls to work with, where as Lawrence is clearly a one woman man. Granted, Chloe played a similar role initially, but they have effectively eliminated her as a romantic interest for now.

This is true, in essence it is personal opinion that rules preference, hence the inclusion of the word "comparatively". I realize there are those that find the economic discussions mentally stimulating. I simply believe that too much of this will keep the series from reaching it's true potential with viewers.
Hmmm, I'm strongly getting the impression you haven't read the source material (the light novels - 7 books so far). A body count is not a great way to determine the value of greater time budget. Comparing the rather limited stories from a erogame (admittedly one of the best) to a set of novels.... nah, I don't think so.
The series is doing pretty well with the tight time budget - but it is very much a "reader's digest" version of the novels which contain many intercharacter scenes and dialog that are left out of the anime due to time constraints - not because they were less worthy. As others have already pointed out some of the anime scenes lack context or simply drop much of the texture because there simply isn't time available if a novel is only allowed 6 episodes.

I do agree the "economic battles" might leave a fair portion of the anime audience behind - but then the author of the stories and the anime itself isn't necessarily targeting that audience (though "nekkid girl" might bring a number of them in and perhaps hook them long enough to become interested in the rest of the story).

This is a niche anime, much like ARIA or some others, less likely to appeal to foreign viewers. I'm not yet sure how its doing in Japan but the light novels are selling pretty well (well enough to warrant the manga/anime treatment which should accelerate the novel sales even more).
Old 2008-02-15, 15:25   Link #110
mikesince83
AnimeSuki Freshman

Well said...

Quote:
Hmmm, I'm strongly getting the impression you haven't read the source material (the light novels - 7 books so far).
You are correct here, and it's one reason I have refrained from attempting to make any concrete assertions in my writing. I do feel in order to properly defend my position I would need to read through the source material.

Quote:
...but it is very much a "reader's digest" version of the novels which contain many intercharacter scenes and dialog that are left out of the anime due to time constraints - not because they were less worthy.
Just curious, but have you read them?

Quote:
A body count is not a great way to determine the value of greater time budget. Comparing the rather limited stories from a erogame (admittedly one of the best) to a set of novels.... nah, I don't think so.
Since we're specifically talking about adaptations here, I would say this depends on the animation studio and director in control of the adaptation. Regardless of how popular the novels may be or how vast the source material is, if not handled correctly the animated series could simply fade away into obscurity. There are also aspects of plot that work well in a novel but simply wouldn't translate effectively into a full length series.

Quote:
This is a niche anime, much like ARIA or some others, less likely to appeal to foreign viewers.
I agree with you. I do believe it had the potential to be something more than a niche anime, but it would have certainly lost some of it's charm. Thanks for participating in this little debate. Often I play the devil's advocate to try and produce more thought provoking posts and most of the time I don't get any responses.

Last edited by mikesince83; 2008-02-15 at 16:00.
Old 2008-02-15, 16:30   Link #111
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

I've pieced my way through the first novel. I've decided to specifically hold off reading the second novel so I can just enjoy the latter half of the series rather than moan and groan about what they've left out or put part of my brain on hold to analyze the second half standing on its own.

And... yay for more people who think like that for discussion and debate in this forum. Sometimes a rather nasty streak of anti-rationalism roams about.
Old 2008-02-15, 17:01   Link #112
White Manju Bun
Anxious bookseller
*Author

Thumbs up for this epi. Horo's transformation scene was awesome, I had to watch it twice. Chloe whining was funny since didnt she just tell Horo that they were going to turn her over and not need her anymore Yeah...no wonder kami-sama is unfair.

Man I felt bad for Lawrence in this epi, first he gets stabbed and then has to deal with his worst fear. Poor guy.
- 11th Doctor.

Sig by TheEroKing
Old 2008-02-15, 17:39   Link #113
GuidoHunter_Toki
Wiggle Your Big Toe

Even though it felt rushed I still gave it a 10 for the overall intensity.

Am I imagining things or did Horo actually have like 3 carts of apples!?!
Old 2008-02-15, 18:39   Link #114
Xeferah

I liked this one a lot, although I might need to rewatch the parts of making profit out of a devaluating coin ;-)
I loved the transformation of Horo in the sewers/tunnels.
Old 2008-02-15, 20:41   Link #115
Sorrow-K
Somehow I found out

I really hated the way they did the transformation scene. Showing the same thing from three different camera angles is just about the most mindless way to do a big impact moment. There's no tension or impact when they do scenes like that, since the three camera angle thing is such a cliche of generic anime now.

Other than that, no complaints. The plot is excellent, but I'm a bit disappointed that we won't see anymore of Chloe. She could have been such an interesting character study since there's so many conflicting interests that motivate her. It really could have been interesting to see how she would deal with them. Oh well.
Old 2008-02-15, 21:08   Link #116
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

The animation is probably my most serious complaint about the series (lo lo budget)... but I have to watch myself after several years of being smashed in the face with Kyo-ani and a couple of other production efforts.
Old 2008-02-15, 21:20   Link #117
Spectacular_Insanity
Ha ha ha ha ha...
*Graphic Designer

I voted 8/10 because I hadn't really wanted Chloe to be a bad person. But now that she is, i want her to die. Painfully. And very soon, within hopefully the next five episodes or so.
Old 2008-02-15, 22:41   Link #118
dahl_moon
Apathy moe~
*Scanlator

A bit late in the game (was busy this week) but loved the episode to bits. Koshimizu Ami really brings out the life in Horo; I'm impressed every episode. We get to see a new dimension of Horo, once again.

Regarding the pacing of the anime, I think it doesn't really have room to be extended even longer. I fully agree that anime watchers will miss out quite a bit of what goes on within Lawrence's mind, but too much of that and we'll have a drama CD. I'm satisfied with the media transfer to anime. But, I won't mind if we can get additional novels animated. THAT will make my day
Old 2008-02-15, 22:43   Link #119
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Send a message via AIM to FlareKnight Send a message via MSN to FlareKnight
Quote:
And... yay for more people who think like that for discussion and debate in this forum. Sometimes a rather nasty streak of anti-rationalism roams about.
I wonder what you mean by that. *Continues to polish pitchfork*

Well since I've had series with really bad budgeting for animation this series hasn't been an issue at all for me. Looks fine and doesn't detract from my enjoyment so is not a problem area for me.

Chloe wasn't a bad original character. But just fine to have her be left behind as we move on to the next problem. At least they will be well armed with apples, until Horo eats them all.
Old 2008-02-15, 22:52   Link #120
grey_moon
Yummy, sweet and unyuu!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinestra View Post
I actually chuckled when Chole started whining about how its always like this and god was unfair she really did believe she was going to die i dont blame her. I agree with my impression of Lawrence went up in this episode as displayed a little GARness especially when he kicked that guy square in the BALLZ after being stabbed that was hardcore.
That scene was especially highlighted for me when he tells they guy to ask for forgiveness after he has actually done something wrong.