AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Support > Forum & Site Feedback

Notices

Old 2003-12-02, 02:25   Link #1
boneyjellyfish
Evangelist of the Kazoo

Question about the new redirect thing when you post...

I don't know if it's been around longer, but I just noticed today that there was some newfangled redirect thingy when I posted. I was just wondering what the advantages were to using something like that. I've seen it used in many forums, but never as frequently as its used here. If I edit a message, I get a redirect message displayed to me but it redirects me before I can even react to it. If I post a reply, I get a slightly longer redirect page. I haven't posted any new threads yet today (this is my first), but I can only assume that I'll get a redirect message when I click on that shiny "Submit" button.

Anyway, I'll say once again that I'm just wondering what the advantages are of using a redirect after somebody posts (if any) and why you chose to use such a system.
boneyjellyfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-12-02, 02:54   Link #2
boneyjellyfish
Evangelist of the Kazoo

I'm referring to this:

I guess I'm just really ignorant... I've NEVER noticed this message before today, and it happens every time I post!
Old 2003-12-02, 03:04   Link #3
Tzurial
in silent opposition

Send a message via AIM to Tzurial Send a message via MSN to Tzurial
I just noticed it today too (youre not crazy)
Tzurial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-12-02, 03:07   Link #4
boneyjellyfish
Evangelist of the Kazoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzurial
(youre not crazy)
I think everybody on the forum can argue against that.
Old 2003-12-02, 03:15   Link #5
NoSanninWa
Weapon of Mass Discussion
*Fansubber

boneyjellyfish: I think you are most definetly crazy, but I was also wondering if I had somehow been not noticing that message for the past few weeks. Then I came across your thread and was relieved to discover that I am not the only one! I also get a previously unseen message when I search. Yet another insideous sign of tampering.

Perhaps this is intended to slow down all forum users a bit, to reduce the load on the sever? Maybe it interferes with ddosers? Mb81 is probably responsible for it, so we'll have to wait for him or GHDPro to answer our query here. Until then be patient and reassured that this is not one of the symptoms of your madness.

There's not that fine a line between willing suspension of disbelief and something just being stupid.
NoSanninWa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-12-02, 06:14   Link #6
Lefteris_D

This thing was always a part of Vbulletin from the early versions. Don't forget that this is NOT Burning Board so there are changes.
Lefteris_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-12-02, 06:21   Link #7
Flash_Squirrel
F&C Fanboy

Send a message via ICQ to Flash_Squirrel Send a message via AIM to Flash_Squirrel
Yesterday was my first time too. I think that only Mb81 will be able to answer your question BJF.
Flash_Squirrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-12-02, 15:17   Link #8
boneyjellyfish
Evangelist of the Kazoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mb81
Hallo,

as far as i know this is standart in vbulletin. Advantages ? Maybe good against form flooding, double posts, etc..
Ah... okay. Are you able to turn it off for certain things then? I don't think it's really necessary for things like editing posts and sending PMs. Also, doesn't the 30-second timer already pretty much stop double posting?
Old 2003-12-02, 16:45   Link #9
xris
Just call me Ojisan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mb81
as far as i know this is standart in vbulletin. Advantages ? Maybe good against form flooding, double posts, etc..
But something has definately changed in the last day or so. What it is I don't know...

After posting and getting the message, it returns to the thread as usual but now if I hit the 'back' button on my browser it goes to the message again. It never used to do that!
xris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-12-02, 19:23   Link #10
gravitation
Don't use animesuki now..

erghh its weird, it gives ya a status kinda report on everything, "your messgae was posted were now taking you back" or "your post was edited succesfully were now taking ya bak" etc etc lol ^_^
gravitation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-12-02, 19:43   Link #11
smee
Silent A$$A$$IN

Send a message via AIM to smee
yeah i noticed it too, its quite annoying, its weird though cuz it only happened like a day ago and we've had vbulletin for more than a day.
smee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-12-02, 23:15   Link #12
Superchop
Lord Sesshoumaru

Quote:
Originally Posted by xris
After posting and getting the message, it returns to the thread as usual but now if I hit the 'back' button on my browser it goes to the message again. It never used to do that!
Do you mean it goes back to the reply screen? Cause that happens to me all the time...

I post..whether it be quick post..."reply" where it takes me to reply page...after i post it'll show up...obviously, but if i hit the back button on my browser or hit backspave to go back...it'll tkae me to the page where i was writing my reply...but my post was still there...the page just needed to be refreshed

But this happenned even on the old forum...so it never bothered me...

but as for the redirecting thing...it started to happen around the time boneyjellyfish started this thread...it never did this before...but now that it started it's doing it for everything...i dont find it annoying but it has been happening
Superchop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-12-03, 02:39   Link #13
NoSanninWa
*Fansubber

It's gone!! Just as mysteriously and suddenly as the redirect message appeared, now it is gone.

There's not that fine a line between willing suspension of disbelief and something just being stupid.
Old 2003-12-03, 03:00   Link #14
boneyjellyfish
Evangelist of the Kazoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoSanninWa
It's gone!! Just as mysteriously and suddenly as the redirect message appeared, now it is gone.
It's the work of little elves I tell you! Little elves! That's the only logical explanation! They're always out to get me...
Old 2003-12-03, 03:10   Link #15
NoSanninWa
*Fansubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by boneyjellyfish
It's the work of little elves I tell you! Little elves! That's the only logical explanation! They're always out to get me...
They aren't little elves, they're called brownies. And they're out to get me, not you. You're so self-centered that you always think everythings out to get you when its really out to get me. So there!

PS. In case you're wondering why those little spirits are called brownies, which is the same name as a desert... you wouldn't wonder if you've ever eaten one. Mmmmmm!

Old 2003-12-03, 03:16   Link #16
boneyjellyfish
Evangelist of the Kazoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoSanninWa
They aren't little elves, they're called brownies. And they're out to get me, not you. You're so self-centered that you always think everythings out to get you when its really out to get me. So there!

PS. In case you're wondering why those little spirits are called brownies, which is the same name as a desert... you wouldn't wonder if you've ever eaten one. Mmmmmm!
And the Ero-Moderator has spoken! All hail the Ero-Mod!

... but if it wasn't the little elves...

What have the elves been doing all of this time?

*looks around nervously*

*snap fingers*

I've got it! They must have kidnapped gravitation! Only a group of malevolent little elves that work night and day could have achieved a post count like that!

Last edited by boneyjellyfish; 2003-12-03 at 03:26.
Old 2003-12-03, 03:21   Link #17
Tzurial
in silent opposition

Send a message via AIM to Tzurial Send a message via MSN to Tzurial
And its gone...those elves and brownies that are stalking you sure work in mysterious ways.
Tzurial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-12-03, 04:18   Link #18
Animaniac
On leave?

I believe older versions of vB needed it to update the database before displaying the page. Sometimes doing both at the same time created inaccuracies and such. I believe vB3 doesn't have that limitation, and the redirect option was left in just for user ineraction's sake.
Animaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-12-03, 06:11   Link #19
NoSanninWa
*Fansubber

Even if the option was left in. It still needed to be turned on... and then off. It was the brownies that did it. They activated the option! Then they turned it off. They're trying to drive me insane, but it isn't working!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Small One
Somehow the thread gets more and more offtopic... and a mod is participating...
Actually, it isn't off-topic. We are still discussing the mysterious re-direct message. It is just that our theories concerning that message are getting more complicated. Perhaps you should pay more attention.

Last edited by NoSanninWa; 2003-12-03 at 06:21.
Old 2003-12-03, 11:20   Link #20
Megane
Sleepy Head

Send a message via AIM to Megane Send a message via MSN to Megane
Well I was going to try an offer an explaination, but it appears that the redirect message has gone...

I was going to put it down to bad/lazy coding (by the vBulletin coders of course, not GHDPro et al), as such redirects (using the REFRESH property of a META tag) are often put in by people who haven't fully grasped how to do proper HTTP header-based redirects (which are transparent to the user), but, it's not there any more, so perhaps either it served another function (can't think what though) which has been turned off, or maybe the code has been repaired.

Sorry to bring things back on topic guys.
Megane is offline   Reply With Quote