AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Reviews & Recommendations

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2012-04-11, 17:35   Link #1
lml99

Beginning Haruhi Light Novels

I recently finished the anime, but I'm not satisfied yet. I wanted to read the light novels, but I'm not sure whether to start from the beginning or from after disappearance. Suggestions? Also, is the manga any good?
Old 2012-04-11, 18:33   Link #2
Classified Info
I miss Haruhi

After i finished watching the series, i really couldn't get enough and immediately threw myself in the novel; i suggest you read it from the beginning, because the novel contains some more details, and not everything is the same (The lone island syndrome is very different from the anime, very different and better), then read The disappearance (The movie was the best animated thing i've ever seen, and i guess it has one of the best animation, beside being a monster of movie with an awesome and thrilling plot and a perfect music background; i watched the movie 4 times, and read the novel aswell and the anime is pretty much loyal to the plot, but still i suggest you read it).

After the 4th novel (The disappearance), there you go with the new chapters: there will be some new character, but i won't spoil anything. Your goal will be the 10th/11th novel that i consider even more awesome than the disappearance, so expect much from it; middleway you'll have the pleasure to read The snow mountain syndrome, which i considered truly... awesome. There will be a little romance development that will open up many speculations feel free to discuss about it in the Haruhi forum when you are finished with the novel: the anime only covers 4/11 novels. However, it got recently licensed, so you won't find it in english (PM me for more information)

Have fun, this is a hell awesome series.
Old 2012-04-11, 18:58   Link #3
ultimatemegax
Nyahahahaha♥

Send a message via MSN to ultimatemegax Send a message via Yahoo to ultimatemegax
Quote:
Originally Posted by lml99 View Post
I recently finished the anime, but I'm not satisfied yet. I wanted to read the light novels, but I'm not sure whether to start from the beginning or from after disappearance. Suggestions? Also, is the manga any good?
The anime adapts all of novels 1-4, just over half of novel 5 (2/3 stories), and 2/5ths of novel 6. Ask yourself if you enjoyed the story enough to want to read through the material again (minus 7 Endless Eight loops). If so, I believe the first novel, Melancholy is the best written of the series, and works well to re-introduce you to the format. If you just want to know what happens next, then the final story in novel 5 would be a good continuation from Disappearance without worrying too much about chronological order.

TL;DR…
minute details
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?

Yen Press has licensed the series, so it's against the rules to ask for copies on here. 1-6 are in print and volume 7 goes on sale in June. Good luck and I hope you enjoy reading them. Feel free to join us in the Haruhi forum if you have any other questions. We don't bite!

“Nyahaha! Then we move to round two, Hero! ★”
Chuunibyou translation: 1st novel - OUT/ 2nd novel - OUT
Old 2012-04-11, 21:20   Link #4
lml99

Thanks for the help! To be honest, I was really watching the series on and off, so I probably forgot a lot of it, and rereading it all probably won't hurt. I really don't read regular books as often as I feel I should (too much manga and not enough text ) and this is my first light novel, so I'm having a few doubts about how I'll take a pure piece of text that the anime was adapted from. However, if it can give me more plot and Haruhiness, I think I'm willing to do it. And if I'm lucky, It'll get me back to reading regularly again . But anyways, how is the manga? Is it identical to the LNs with full illustrations? Or is it different?
Old 2012-04-11, 21:41   Link #5
ultimatemegax
Nyahahahaha♥

Send a message via MSN to ultimatemegax Send a message via Yahoo to ultimatemegax
Quote:
Originally Posted by lml99 View Post
Thanks for the help! To be honest, I was really watching the series on and off, so I probably forgot a lot of it, and rereading it all probably won't hurt. I really don't read regular books as often as I feel I should (too much manga and not enough text ) and this is my first light novel, so I'm having a few doubts about how I'll take a pure piece of text that the anime was adapted from. However, if it can give me more plot and Haruhiness, I think I'm willing to do it. And if I'm lucky, It'll get me back to reading regularly again . But anyways, how is the manga? Is it identical to the LNs with full illustrations? Or is it different?
The manga is somewhat different in regards to the first story, but follows chronological order with one exception (but that's not the important part). Since it is in an illustrated format, you lose most, if not all, of the signature narration from Kyon that is present in both the light novel and anime formats. It becomes too generic. While I've bought the volumes from Yen Press to support more Haruhi releases in English, I can't recommend it over the novels.

“Nyahaha! Then we move to round two, Hero! ★”
Chuunibyou translation: 1st novel - OUT/ 2nd novel - OUT
Old 2012-04-12, 01:07   Link #6
creb
Hiding Under Your Bed

The light novels are great. There's so much more going on than what anime only viewers have been privy to. I've always wondered what the holdup is on animating more of the story. As far as I know, the anime was pretty successful, so being a financial turd doesn't seem like the reason.

Don't bother with the manga, imo.
Also, cake.
Old 2012-04-14, 09:03   Link #7
lml99

Alright, I'll be starting soon, and hopefully i'll enjoy it. Thanks guys!
Closed Thread