AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2010-05-28, 18:39   Link #21
Pocky Yoshi
Disabled By Request

If I were their father, I would be strongly against it.
But, if this is what they would love doing, I'll have to back off.
But if something bad happens, it's time to pull the plug on them.
And this seems to be a touchy subject.....
Old 2010-05-28, 18:43   Link #22
Cub-Sama
Member of DOLLARS
*Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
You seem mighty sure that you know what everyone is thinking and seem to confuse your opinion/judgment for facts .....
Erm when did I ever say I knew what they were thinking I said they probably thought.... and it is true that dances like that those booty shaking dances are sexual in nature. Please read my posts properly next time so I dont have to explain myself.

We are DOLLARS, credit for sig goes to CMHerrera-chan
Old 2010-05-28, 18:50   Link #23
CuXe
Loving Romeo X Juliet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cub-Sama View Post
Erm when did I ever say I knew what they were thinking I said they probably thought.... and it is true that dances like that those booty shaking dances are sexual in nature. Please read my posts properly next time so I dont have to explain myself.
I +1 Cub, as I do believe his original post regarding the matter in question might have been "misread" by some
Old 2010-05-28, 19:07   Link #24
NightbatŪ
Deadpan Snarker

Meh over here they sell thongs for 5-12 year old girls
reason: "because boys get to wear similar underwear as their father, so why can't girls wear the same underwear as their mother?"

[/facepalm]

...ofcourse nobody bothered to ask what "daddy's underpants" looked like
Old 2010-05-28, 19:10   Link #25
Kimitachi

If I were a mother, would not allow my daughters to dress that way. But that's just protective instinct... there are many sick minds out there.

My opinion? They were awesome and they looked very cute and charming.

Quote:
The Spice girls of the 90's, what I grew up on tried their own brand of 'girl power' messages.
I heard their lyrics, we sang them, we did the dances and then forgot about it.
Exactly =)
Old 2010-05-28, 19:12   Link #26
Pocky Yoshi
Disabled By Request

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimitachi View Post
If I were a mother, would not allow my daughters to dress that way. But that's just protective instinct... there are many sick minds out there.

My opinion? They were awesome and they looked very cute and charming.

Exactly =)
Similar to my comment, silly and cute.
Oh I remember when I hated the spice girls. Lol.
Old 2010-05-28, 19:23   Link #27
Mystique
Honyaku no Hime
*Fansubber

Location: In the eastern capital of the islands of the rising suns...
Quote:
Originally Posted by CuXe View Post
*Sigh* .... if having an opinion that little girls shouldn't be emulating material which was without question originally created to be expressly sexualized, then yeah, I am a "boring so and so"...
You're free to say what you like, note use of xD or smiley = take that sentence with a pinch of salt, I'd have said the exact thing offline to you regardless, but I guess you'd be able to see the amused expression on my face, lol.
No qualms here
Quote:
Saying that their dance/attire is inappropriate for their age does not imply they are looking to "spread their legs for a guys dick" I don't believe any of us who have given our POVs about the matter have insinuated such explicit act and honestly I don't see how any of us could make such crude connection. Furthermore, I would refrain from using such language in a forum where not everyone is over the age of 18, but that is just the boring me talking
There were also comments of 'I wouldn't want my kids gyrating/moving like that. Typically ‘moves like that’ (as other arguments I’ve heard tossed about in relation to this video) are reserved for 'whores' 'prostitutes', 'strip girls' and that's the kinda implication that they're trying to project onto these girls, hence I turned slightly flippant (hai, I admitted I was being crude, that's one of the extreme connections I keep seeing being made)
So if the rest of you are now defining your correction as you did here which isn't so extreme, that's fine.
It stops (hopefully) anyone else trying to make such a statement later in the thread.
Quote:
In addition, saying that some material is expressly sexualized does not infer that someone will incur in lewd acts solely by the fact that they witnessed the material in question, it only means that it is inappropriate to accentuate such body-language on girls who obviously have yet to develop their own traits.
For the sake of a performance however, 'such body language' isn't gonna be consciously thought of to them as it is to adults. It causes us unease cause we’re aware of situations (typically sexual) of where such body language is used and why it’d be used, but if someone was to shout at the girls
‘Little whores moving about like that, you should be ashamed!’
I’m fairly sure the girls may cry or not really understand the true implication of what an adult would be accusing them of, their minds and personalities for most part will still retain their innocence and fun. Having performed the dance for a competition doesn’t automatically strip it away (this is in addition to how their parents raise them and values they instil which none of us know how that works in their families).
Quote:
You already agree with 50% of our opinion as far as the atire but I guess the other 50% is what makes us radically boring right?
To me, dance wise, yes. xD
(I'm constantly reminded of the attitudes and outcry that were shown in the movie 'Dirty Dancing' right now)

I saw those girls make up and clothes and thought ‘oh hell no, that’s just lame, cover them up for crying out loud, it’s not a children’s’ swimsuit costume (touches on what I think is worse btw, those beauty pageants *shudders*)
I saw those girls moves, dance, their timing, precision, spins, energy and passion and was like ‘Hell freaking yeah, they’re awesome! Amazing’ xD

I know I'm seeing this from a completely different light, I'm sure its more of a cultural difference on my end (and as a dancer myself... well 'casual' now being older perhaps), but I was doing this kinda thing before age 10, we competed with other girls, we shook our thang.

When playing with other kids, we practiced the dance moves of music and pop/ urban stars at the time, be it in school or over the weekend in front of our homes in the streets.
As of recently, I previously mentioned 'dancehall', that's a genre of dance which actually may cause more outcry cause of the nature of the moves (the kids here had tiny elements of it), but I know tooons of young girls and kids who practice and can pull these off (all over youtube too), and are applauded for their dance skill and that's it. There is no implication to anything dirty or filthy about it, hence it retains it's time and place as being part of dance.
The boys also were trying to pull off the coolest MJ moves back in the days, these were at kids b'day parties and so on, 'dance comps' were normal
But by no means did this 'accelerate' my sexuality, it was just dance.
Dance was dance and boys/sex/relationships were a completely different ballgame, something of which I wasn't even interested in during my teens much (tomboy that I am of sorts). Computer games, books and cartoons were my loves back then too.
Hell, I don't even think I could have conceived negative or sexual thoughts or worries that adults conceive and that's the difference and my fear actually.

That adults are projecting and forcing their anxieties onto the kids who otherwise would never see it and only have a light, innocent and fun view to it all.
You say ‘it’s inappropriate’, so if you saw your daughter (Chey can answer this too) practicing like this and you go ‘stop moving like that!’
The kid asks ‘Why… I’m only dancing’.
What would you say, how would you break it down? What worries are going through your mind that if they were to continue dancing as so, something... ‘bad?’ will happen?
Quote:
I would seriously doubt that a "bored 7-8yo" would go out and perform "sexual favors" on their own initiative, so I think this illustration is rather out of place.
There are a lot of 9-10 year olds tonguing each other in the UK they’re aware of what French kissing is and I remember looking at my cousins some years ago, thinking ‘where the hell did you learn what the term even means from?’
Word in the playground is a lot more open regarding sexual topics and awareness than it was for me a mere decade ago. Kids are innocent, yes and it needs to be preserved on a overall level, but what they're exposed to media wise, especially with the age of the internet is a lot more vicious than any of us were.
Other examples include getting pregnant at 11/12 and kids being admitted to A&E cause of alcohol abuse.
A lot of them were bored and sadly influenced by their older siblings while 6/7/8, (if it’s not sexual related problems, then crime and vandalism). They had no focus, no hobbies, nothing to spend their time with constructively. Again I was being flippant basing it on comments of ‘these moves are inappropriate’.
How? Sexually? Why? Cause it’ll lead to what?
The time and place as you say in the next quote below, I bolded for you. In the hobby of dance, it’s appropriate if that’s the style that the kids are into. They're spending their time working towards a goal which is fun and enjoyable. A lot may (typically do) stop during their teens as well and are as 'normal' as a average kid, with a good sense of ambition within them.

And I mentioned before it wasn’t all pure grinding and gyrating with zero style or class, the sheer amount of ballet work that was in that, those kids were pulling off 2880 degree spins (we don’t even count that far, lol but 360 degrees times 8), means that their style was influenced from a variety of things that don’t even whisper sexuality.
I wonder why people can’t see beyond that and take in the skill, well I know why. The attire sadly as clouded it away which is also why I disagree.
Their hard work goes unnoticed cause of the aesthetic way they presented themselves, in a sense, it’s a royal shame.
Quote:
I will agree tho that "People need to learn how to relax and shake your booty some more" however I believe that there is a time and place for everything.
And this is a national US dance competition ><;;;;;
It’s a dance competition, it’s a dance competition using one of the most popular tunes among the kids of today.
Aggggh, where's the other acts of this event, cause I wanna see the level and style that generally was gracing this competition.
I'm fairly sure it really is the attire/make up that's adding more heat to the fire. Had they dressed down more and performed the same dance, it wouldn't be causing such an outcry, otherwise aaaaaall the videos of kids mimicking Beyonce's moves (with normal clothes on) since what?
2004... 2005?
Would have been pulled out, soccer mom protests gathered and her career over.
*sighs*

I'd love to sit and tackle each post, but it took a fair amount of time here just for this one xD
I'm gonna let it chill for a bit, since I think I've put most of my points here, feel free to keep it going though

Worrying is like a rocking chair. It gives you something to do, but it doesn't get you anywhere. - Van Wilder
"If you ain't laughin', you ain't livin'." - Carlos Mencia

Last edited by Mystique; 2010-05-28 at 20:33.
Old 2010-05-28, 19:26   Link #28
Pocky Yoshi
Disabled By Request

^Fear of wall of text lol. You type way faster than me.
Old 2010-05-28, 19:40   Link #29
roriconfan
Banned

Send a message via MSN to roriconfan
Having the lolicon germ rather strong within me, I say it is sexy. But it is not the clothes. It is girls doing a choreography. I would find it equally naughty if it was about girl ballerinas or girl swimming. The outfits are just sexual foreplay for a dirty mind.

When I was little, I wanted to make comic books because I really liked comic books. So I began drawing things similar to the comic books I was reading. I never became a professional but I did learn how to draw. Dancing is the same as any hobby. You start learning it from a young age or it may be too late by the time you are an adult.

Kids these days see a lot on tv and they want to mimic them. A normal thing any kid would do. The thing is, when I was little and not everyone was addicted to tv yet, the things my generation was mimicking were mostly based to events we saw on real life. Tv is not like that. Tv is a virtual reality of ideal events and picture perfect looks and words. Kids who mimic tv too much, they mimic a lot of things that are not-practical or not applicable in real life. Thus they strive to become something un-real.

And down to it, the mind sees what the mind wants to see and would find it sexy no matter what they would do.
Old 2010-05-28, 19:41   Link #30
cheyannew
PolyPerson!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystique View Post
That adults are projecting and forcing their anxieties onto the kids who otherwise would never see it and only have a light, innocent and fun view to it all.
You say ‘it’s inappropriate’, so if you saw your daughter (Chey can answer this too) practicing like this and you go ‘stop moving like that!’
What would you say, how would you break it down? What worries are going through your mind that if they were to continue dancing as so, something... ‘bad?’ will happen?
You know, for me I'm not sure if it's the moves per say, as much as the combo of the moves w/ the wardrobe they're wearing...
But then again, I'm appalled by the fact that there's padded plunge underwire training bras trimmed in lace with matching panties out there LOL
They have so MUCH talent, I can't help but feel the costumes are detracting from that, if that makes sense.

And if I saw my daughter dancing like that (first off kudos she's a hell of a lot more talented than I ever was rofl), I don't think I'd say to stop, but, like my son wanting his ear pierced, I'd possibly sit them down and say hey, *I* might not have an issue with it but here's what kind of comments you might have to face from others. I mean, he wasn't aware there was a difference (at least in the US) with having only your right ear vs only your left ear pierced.

Thinking on it, I think it's more the wardrobe + moves that're affronting people, at least in my case...

I also was reminded by my kids that that song (Single Ladies) is not only terribly popular, but was used in the Alvin & the Chipmunks sequel, sung by the female trio of chipmunks, so it's entirely possible that's one reason the girls picked it. I can't recall what dance routine was used in the movie, but that too might've influenced it.

RIFT | Division | Side 7 Art Archive
Old 2010-05-28, 19:57   Link #31
Mystique
Honyaku no Hime
*Fansubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheyannew View Post
You know, for me I'm not sure if it's the moves per say, as much as the combo of the moves w/ the wardrobe they're wearing...
But then again, I'm appalled by the fact that there's padded plunge underwire training bras trimmed in lace with matching panties out there LOL
They have so MUCH talent, I can't help but feel the costumes are detracting from that, if that makes sense.

And if I saw my daughter dancing like that (first off kudos she's a hell of a lot more talented than I ever was rofl), I don't think I'd say to stop, but, like my son wanting his ear pierced, I'd possibly sit them down and say hey, *I* might not have an issue with it but here's what kind of comments you might have to face from others. I mean, he wasn't aware there was a difference (at least in the US) with having only your right ear vs only your left ear pierced.

Thinking on it, I think it's more the wardrobe + moves that're affronting people, at least in my case...

I also was reminded by my kids that that song (Single Ladies) is not only terribly popular, but was used in the Alvin & the Chipmunks sequel, sung by the female trio of chipmunks, so it's entirely possible that's one reason the girls picked it. I can't recall what dance routine was used in the movie, but that too might've influenced it.
Actually, i re looked that up and I think you're right
Video link is here (embedding code isn't working atm)
http://youtube.com/watch?v=ARy2IMqHimk
Quote:
Cory Miller, the father of one of the little girls, and Melissa Presch, the mother of another child talked to Inside Edition about the controversy. “I’m shocked, quite frankly, that people would suggest such things and say such things about 8 and 9 year old girls” said Melissa Presch, claiming that the girls learned their moves from Alvin and the Chipmunks: the Squeakwel movie, not Beyonce’s music video.

Read more: http://musicouch.com/musicouching/ei...#ixzz0pH9YgcmM
I'd agree, cause it they'd had been working off Beyonce's video, they'd have seen that she had covered herself more than those kids did. xD
(well, looks like the Chipettes do too)
And I appreciate your comment regarding your kids, thanks

Worrying is like a rocking chair. It gives you something to do, but it doesn't get you anywhere. - Van Wilder
Old 2010-05-28, 20:04   Link #32
Arbitres
Disabled By Request

Teens feel intrigued by the world of erotic or sexual things. They are at the age they are suppose to be.

However... young girls in the 8-9 age isn't suppose to be into this. Not yet at least, not to sound like a tightass but I think this should be avoided entirely. It's rather depressing really. Especially if you think the infamy they got and how it'll stick with them for a good while yet.

No matter the age people are effected by what is on TV. I'll be incredibly blunt....

If they see older women dress up like prostitutes, sluts, whores, whatever you want to call them -- then they would think it is either alright, fine, cool, or so on. People are effected by the screens before them -- not just television screens but computer screens as well.

It's the world of media that basically brainwashes. This is one of the finer and extreme examples of how corruptive it can be.

...Unfortunate as it is I hope this teach people not to do this kind of thing. But considering how the world is taking it; people will be inclined to do it (or perhaps I'm being a cynic again.)

This is my opinion on the matter.
Old 2010-05-28, 20:13   Link #33
Mystique
Honyaku no Hime
*Fansubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arbitres View Post
No matter the age people are effected by what is on TV. I'll be incredibly blunt....

If they see older women dress up like prostitutes, sluts, whores, whatever you want to call them -- then they would think it is either alright, fine, cool, or so on. People are effected by the screens before them -- not just television screens but computer screens as well.

It's the world of media that basically brainwashes. This is one of the finer and extreme examples of how corruptive it can be.
Ooh, ooh, ohh, be careful there.
That's almost saying that parents don't play a part into grounding their children so that they aren't blindly leading themselves to danger. I played Road Rash, this was getting on a motobike, racing to first while knocking off opponents with maces, bats, crowbars, flamethrowers or punching and kicking them off xD
I loved it (still do) but by no means would I emulate it outside of a game, as I'm aware that reality has different consequences for this type of behaviour.
I grew up in my town where 15 year olds are pushing prams often, wearing make up, doing their hair and hanging with boys in the street.
That's 'normal' to me as in the envrionment I grew up in, but by no means did I agree with it, cause of the values/rules that were instilled at home.

Parents have to play their part in this sense to keep a kid grounded and balanced as best as they can.

Old 2010-05-28, 20:19   Link #34
Arbitres
Disabled By Request

Ah. Right. That is a part I forgot to mention, didn't I?

The parent is just as responsible. To either keep things under check, under wrap, or to reinforce punishment when necessary - or even maintain it for different purposes such as disciplinary measures, the child(ren) not straightening up to expectation, etc etc and what not.

Indeed reality has a different set of consequences, and that is about all I'll say. I'm afraid I'd just be echoing you if I did. I'd rather not to be honest.

Though thank you for highlighting that. I appreciate it. c(^_^ c) Thank you and so such Mystique.
Old 2010-05-28, 20:45   Link #35
Nogitsune
Shameless Fangirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arbitres View Post
I don't really like the association and implications here. Why shouldn't it be perfectly all right for a grown woman to dress the way she wants to? And what consitutes as "whorish", anyway? A short skirt? A bit of make-up?

I think I understand part of what you mean, but I'm not sure about the rest. Yes, I agree children shouldn't be led to do anything that might affect them negatively later on. However, if they think a grown woman dressing in short skirts (or whatever else) is as normal as a grown woman dressing casually, I don't see the problem. They shouldn't feel the need to emulate the behaviour, but if they grow up and decide that short skirts are pretty, why shouldn't they wear them without shame?
Old 2010-05-28, 21:09   Link #36
CuXe
Loving Romeo X Juliet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystique View Post
You're free to say what you like, note use of smiley = take that sentence with a pinch of salt, I'd have said the exact thing offline to you regardless, but I guess you'd be able to see the amused expression on my face, lol.
No qualms here
There is no need to use "smileys" to downplay a serious thought. Much like yourself, I don't back-down or change my ideas just because I am behind a computer or right in someone's face (regardless of their facial expression) so I guess that is one of the few points where our views concur.

Quote:
There were also comments of 'I wouldn't want my kids gyrating/moving like that. Typically ‘moves like that’ (as other arguments I’ve heard tossed about in relation to this video) are reserved for 'whores' 'prostitutes', 'strip girls' and that's the kinda implication that they're trying to project onto these girls, hence I turned slightly flippant (hai, I admitted I was being crude, that's one of the extreme connections I keep seeing being made)
So if the rest of you are now defining your correction as you did here which isn't so extreme, that's fine.
It stops (hopefully) anyone else trying to make such a statement later in the thread.

For the sake of a performance however, 'such body language' isn't gonna be consciously thought of to them as it is to adults. It causes us unease cause we’re aware of situations (typically sexual) of where such body language is used and why it’d be used, but if someone was to shout at the girls
‘Little whores moving about like that, you should be ashamed!’
I’m fairly sure the girls may cry or not really understand the true implication of what an adult would be accusing them of, their minds and personalities for most part will still retain their innocence and fun. Having performed the dance for a competition doesn’t automatically strip it away (this is in addition to how their parents raise them and values they instil which none of us know how that works in their families).
I don't believe anyone here has implied these little girls are behaving as "'whores' 'prostitutes', 'strip girls'" If someone has inferred these girls are behaving like "whores, prostitutes, strip girls" please feel free quote the source. You jumped the gun before anyone did and started using such concepts.

What most of us here have said is that we are displeased about the way material which has been explicitly sexualized was being appointed for performance to these little girls. In addition, many have expressed their disapproval with the POV of the parents who put these girls up to this; so lets not skew the discussion.

Quote:
To me, dance wise, yes. xD
I saw those girls make up and clothes and thought ‘oh hell no, that’s just lame, cover them up for crying out loud, it’s not a children’s’ swimsuit costume (touches on what I think is worse btw, those beauty pageants *shudders*)
I saw those girls moves, dance, their timing, precision, spins, energy and passion and was like ‘Hell freaking yeah, they’re awesome! Amazing’ xD

I know I'm seeing this from a completely different light, I'm sure its more cultural difference on my end (and as a dancer myself), but I was doing this kinda thing before age 10, we competed with other girls, we shook our thang.

The "level of performance" that can be achieved by these girls is not the issue but rather the material chosen for them as well their outfits. I have no doubt in my mind that these girls can turn just about anything into a complete success but there are better ways of making them shine than to make them perform a piece that is of a more mature nature.

Quote:
When playing with other kids, we practiced the dance moves of music and pop/ urban stars at the time, be it in school or over the weekend in front of our homes in the streets.
As of recently, I previously mentioned 'dancehall', that's a genre of dance which actually may cause more outcry cause of the nature of the moves (the kids here had tiny elements of it), but I know tooons of young girls and kids who practice and can pull these off (all over youtube too), are are applauded for their dance skill and that's it. There is no implication to anything dirty or filthy about it, hence it retains it's time and place as being part of dance.
I grew up in a country where reggae/dancehall etc. was an everyday thing, heck I even lived for several years in Jamaica (where reggae originated) and I can tell your for a fact that kids dance reggae is is not viewed as anything offensive or wrong but there is a reason for that. Kids have inherent talents but they would not perform the way an adult would UNLESS they were influenced in any way (I am talking about performance, not anything else) - That being said kids in Jamaica are talented just like kids all over the world however all but most adults leave them alone and don't influence their behavior with their own "bias" as to how a "sexy piece" should be danced.

What we see in this girls video tho is a dance pattern which has clearly been influenced by adults who know what makes this dance sexy and who have chosen an equally inappropriate outfit to boot.

Quote:
The boys also were trying to pull off the coolest MJ moves back in the days, these were at kids b'day parties and so on, 'dance comps' were normal
But by no means did this 'accelerate' my sexuality, it was just dance.

Dance was dance and boys/sex/relationships were a completely different ballgame, something of which I wasn't even interested in during my teens much (tomboy that I am of sorts). Computer games, books and cartoons were my loves back then too.
Hell, I don't even think I could have conceived negative or sexual thoughts or worries that adults conceive and that's the difference and my fear actually.
Indeed and this clearly shows that your parents or your friends parents or any other adult were not influencing your dance patterns or outfits, this is something you were all free-styling so-to-speak... and this is something healthy, this is what happens in most cases. But as I said the moment an adult changes the way a kid would normally dance into something more "sexy and mature" and chooses an "what he or she considers to be" an equally "sexy outfit - by adult standards" then thats when the controversy starts.

Quote:
Simple, if a kid who is not being overly influenced by an adult their dance moves will not be for the most part of sexual nature so there wouldn't be a reason to tell a kid to "Stop moving like that" because again, their natural dance routine wouldn't be all that sexy since they have yet to discover what "sexy means"

SO ... would I be concerned or worried if my daughter would start dancing in a way that is for the most part overly-sexy? No, it wouldn't make me worry in the very least. Worries and concern only arouse when she is displaying dance moves that are obviously way beyond her years and she is at the same time dressing up in a way that is also.. way beyond her years.

Quote:
There are a lot of 9-10 year olds tonguing each other in the UK they’re aware of what French kissing is and I remember looking at my cousins some years ago, thinking ‘where the hell did you learn what the term even means from?’
Word in the playground is a lot more open regarding sexual topics and awareness than it was for me a mere decade ago. Kids are innocent, yes and it needs to be preserved on a overall level, but what they're exposed to media wise, especially with the age of the internet is a lot more vicious than any of us were.
Other examples include getting pregnant at 11/12 and kids being admitted to A&E cause of alcohol abuse.
Yes, kids nowadays know a lot more than they should hence the constant attacks on the media and the reason why TV Ratings are actively enforced. Pregnant 11/12 yo kids are things that happen because of the inherent lack of attention and care from their parents. Heck if parents open up to kids and gradually educate them about sex "certain" cases could have been prevented but there is such thing as a manual on "how to be a parent"

Quote:
A lot of them were bored and sadly influenced by their older siblings while 6/7/8, (if it’s not sexual related problems, then crime and vandalism). They had no focus, no hobbies, nothing to spend their time with constructively. Again I was being flippant basing it on comments of ‘these moves are inappropriate’.
You have just described how poor parenting leads to regrettable circumstances. Who is to blame if a kid has no focus, hobbies or interest in anything constructive?

Quote:
How? Sexually? Why? Cause it’ll lead to what?
The time and place as you say in the next quote below, I bolded for you. In the hobby of dance, it’s appropriate if that’s the style that the kids are into. They're spending their time working towards a goal which is fun and enjoyable. A lot may (typically do) stop during their teens as well and are as 'normal' as a average kid, with a good sense of ambition within them.
There we go, when dance is taken as a hobby and its not influenced by concepts of what is sexy or not following adult standards, there is nothing wrong with it but then again that is not the nature of the video in discussion is it?

We should also keep in mind that when I refer to "sexy by adult standars" I am referring to what one adult would find sexy in another adult. In no way shape or form am I inferring that I find sexy the outfit these lil girls are wearing. I know this should be a given but hey, I have had people bend the meaning of my words before so better safe than sorry!

Quote:
And I mentioned before it wasn’t all pure grinding and gyrating with zero style or class, the sheer amount of ballet work that was in that, those kids were pulling off 2880 degree spins (we don’t even count that far, lol but 360 degrees times 8), means that their style was influenced from a variety of things that don’t even whisper sexuality.
Thank you for reinforcing my point.

Quote:
I wonder why people can’t see beyond that and take in the skill, well I know why. The attire sadly as clouded it away which is also why I disagree.
Their hard work goes unnoticed cause of the aesthetic way they presented themselves, in a sense, it’s a royal shame.
An here is yet another of the few instances where our POV concur.

Quote:
And this is a national US dance competition ><;;;;;
It’s a dance competition, it’s a dance competition using one of the most popular tunes among the kids of today.
Aggggh, where's the other acts of this event, cause I wanna see the level and style that generally was gracing this competition.
I'm fairly sure it really is the attire/make up that's adding more heat to the fire. Had they dressed down more and performed the same dance, it wouldn't be causing such an outcry, otherwise aaaaaall the videos of kids mimicking Beyonce's moves (with normal clothes on) since what?
2004... 2005?
Would have been pulled out, soccer mom protests gathered and her career over.
*sighs*
Yes, it is only natural that a dance competition would be the right place for kids to dance and show off however the source of the outrage is that the dance itself was clearly influenced by an adult who knows what makes this dance "sexy" and that same adult (or adults) added an equally inappropriate outfit which was the icing on the cake.

Quote:
I'd love to sit and tackle each post, but it took a fair amount of time here just for this one xD
I'm gonna let it chill for a bit, since I think I've put most of my points here, feel free to keep it going though
Same one my side.... gotta run some errands now

Last edited by CuXe; 2010-05-28 at 22:12.
Old 2010-05-28, 21:38   Link #37
synaesthetic
blinded by blood
*Author

Send a message via AIM to synaesthetic
Good dance. Kids got skill. Bad costume choice, though--it doesn't look sexy, it looks stupid. It wouldn't look sexy on adults, either.

This is definitely not a case of "less is more."

/thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosauz View Post
you know what? women shouldn't be sexualized too. Because it's degrading and is an assertion of male chauvinism. The outrage shouldn't be about the age it really should be the viewing of women as objects, if there is any outrage to be had. I mean if the parents had forced their children to do this yea you might have a point but considering it took months of training I could infer that the participants were at least willing to do it.
It's degrading and an assertion of male chauvinism when I decide to wear a short skirt and stockings? Or a minidress? Or maybe some really tight jeans that show off my butt and a top that makes my boobs look huge (because damn... they definitely need all the help they can get)?

Of my own volition?

And I don't even like men?

I actually like looking and dressing attractively (sometimes "cute," sometimes "sexy"). It makes me feel good; I do not do it because I give a shit about anything any man thinks.
Old 2010-05-28, 21:42   Link #38
Master_Yoma
Nekokota Festival

Yes I do have some thing wrong with this there parents should be shot for letting them do this
Old 2010-05-28, 21:58   Link #39
Nogitsune
Shameless Fangirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by synaesthetic View Post
It's degrading and an assertion of male chauvinism when I decide to wear a short skirt and stockings? Or a minidress? Or maybe some really tight jeans that show off my butt and a top that makes my boobs look huge (because damn... they definitely need all the help they can get)?

Of my own volition?

And I don't even like men?

I actually like looking and dressing attractively (sometimes "cute," sometimes "sexy"). It makes me feel good; I do not do it because I give a shit about anything any man thinks.
This.

Feminists who want to tell me what to wear or claim that a woman choosing to be submissive in a bdsm scene is degrading herself always make me frown, because my definition of feminism is very different from theirs. If I feel like dressing up, then I'll do exactly that, and if I happen to pick a mini-skirt, that is not an invitation for men to treat me with anything less than respect.
Old 2010-05-28, 22:08   Link #40
Arbitres
Disabled By Request

Quote:
I don't really like the association and implications here. Why shouldn't it be perfectly all right for a grown woman to dress the way she wants to? And what consitutes as "whorish", anyway? A short skirt? A bit of make-up?
I actually don't condone any kind of revealing clothing unless it's for... certain purposes. I'm actually rather aware of it. The argument young > Older doesn't make much sense to me either, but I was using it to prove a point.

I think clothing should be respectable -- though it can be used as expressive or intended purposes -- I mostly find short skirts rather pointless.

I also think people should, regardless of age -- be respectful to themselves.

It's rather nitpicky really. What constitutes as whorish is really up to the individual. For me it's a combination of excessive make-up, gaudy and revealing clothing... and the immodest attitude. Now it is perspective so do bear with me; but don't feel obligated to - that constitutes as whorish because it is usually the encompassed stereotypes of whores and prostitutes.

Feel entirely free to oppose what I think. I simply feel on this kind of thing several things are responsible. The media, the culture, the parents. So on and the such.
Closed Thread