AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Penguin Drum

Notices

View Poll Results: Penguin Drum - Episode 14 Rating
Perfect 10 24 36.36%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 29 43.94%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 10 15.15%
7 out of 10 : Good 2 3.03%
6 out of 10 : Average 1 1.52%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 0 0%
4 out of 10 : Poor 0 0%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 0 0%
Voters: 66. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2011-10-15, 17:01   Link #81
ZODDGUTS

Ringo is going to get Fabulous Max by Yuri. Looking forward to doujins based on this ep. Also probably mentioned the ED turned into Red in the background hints at what happened to Ringo...
Old 2011-10-15, 17:07   Link #82
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forsaken_Infinity View Post
I don't get what Yuri was trying to achieve by hindering Ringo's efforts into following the diary earlier on though. She obviously knew what was in it considering she was there on the exact time and location with Tabuki on every single instance. Was she trying to make her grow over Tabuki to take her for herself? Or was she trying to condition her into becoming so obsessed with becoming Momoka that she would pretty much never give up? And given that she already knew the content of the diary, why would she steal the diary? Does that mean she knows about the penguindrum yada yada?

Oh and the best part about the episode was Esmeralda forcing Meganekko cosplay pics of hers onto #1. Absolutely hilarious.
Tabuki was most likely -and still is in her mind- her number one rival for Momoka's affection. Why did she hinder Ringo's efforts? Jealousy, simple as that. She is convinced that she is Momoka/Ringo's soul mate, so it's obvious she'd want to prevent her from doing anything with Tabuki. Momoka is hers and hers alone.

I have no clue how her current actions fit the content of the diary though. That might just be her being delusional.

& yeah, Esmeralda is awesome. I laughed so hard when she pulled out those photographs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nina.Wolken View Post
Sanetoshi states that other kids than Himari need the medicine, hence the price is rising. By stopping Kanba's transaction, she wants to make sure he doesn't have the money to pay for the elixir. Which is perfect for her : more elixir for Mario ; Himari's death would hopefully free Kanba from his obsession and make him available for her (or so she hopes) ; Kanba would stop his shady work for the Kiga group (she tries to protect him).
She has at least 3 good reasons to stop Kanba from dealing with those men, but even if she does her maximum, I doubt she manages to save him. That guy is literally ready to die for Himari .
She was willing to give Kanba as much money as he needs, so I'd rule out for the first two reasons. As twisted as she might be, I believe she truly loves him and just wants to protect him (and to keep him all for herself, of course).

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEroKing View Post
I had the exact thought too. There doesn't seem to be any kind of real love between Tabuki and Yuri. Momoka on the other hand was a real player to have so many people falling for her >_>
I was thinking the same thing

It sounds like she was a female version of Sanetoshi, which perfectly fits what he said in the previous episode about her being the only person in the world similar to him.
Old 2011-10-15, 17:25   Link #83
gsilver

Jossed.

With those scars on his fingers, there's no way Tabuki is normal.
Old 2011-10-15, 18:55   Link #84
Solace
(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻

Doujin. NOW. *tugs collar from neck a few times while making hand waving motions*

I'm really of two minds on this. At first, I thought maybe Ringo was literally trying to become Momoka. Then a bunch of stuff happens and the idea gets tossed aside and it's revealed that the hat is Momoka....except it's not certain if that's true. Ringo has pretty much given up on becoming Momoka, except now Yuri is going to try and make it happen regardless of Ringo's wishes.

Now I'm stuck wondering "which is it?" Is Ringo becoming Momoka literal or figurative? The supernatural elements of this story do a good job of obscuring what is literal and what is figurative.

Definitely an evil, evil, cliff hanger.
Old 2011-10-15, 20:32   Link #85
gsilver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solace View Post
Doujin. NOW.

Ones that are, uh, less work safe, already exist.
Old 2011-10-15, 20:35   Link #86
wandering-dreamer
reads too much

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThereminVox View Post
Himari's falling out with Double H still hasn't been fully explored, but I imagine that her family's reputation could have something to do with it. If that's the case, I can see why she'd be conflicted about whether or not to make contact with them again.
I think Himari left the school two years ago and the kids only found out about their parents three years ago so the timeline doesn't quite match up but that's what I'm thinking now as well. Maybe it was a combination of bullying from her friends and getting sicker that made Himari leave school? I kinda liked how Himari seemed down later in the episode, maybe she's realized that she's living on borrowed time and between that/whatever happened with her and the other girls she's started to give up on ever getting back to a normal life?

Also, something I've been thinking about for a while, while it's not doing it as much as Utena did, Penguindrum has really been subverting the "prince protects/saves the princess, everything is happy ever after" trope. Here we don't see the guys going after girls but the girls (Ringo, Masako) going after the guys (Tabuki, Kanba) and sometimes it seems like the girls don't really see the guys as actual people but rather as prizes for themselves. Just liking how it's a gender flipped version of the trope and it's not being portrayed as a good thing that those two girls are willing to do/give up so much just for a prize.
Old 2011-10-15, 20:37   Link #87
Kyuu
=^^=

OK. Now one with Yuri with a strap-on.

===

Anyways. Now that I think about it -- I do kinda feel bad about Stalker Girl Apple (Ringo) with all that tears she dished out after being dumped by Mr. Emo (Shoma).
Old 2011-10-15, 20:50   Link #88
darkchibi07

Send a message via AIM to darkchibi07 Send a message via MSN to darkchibi07
With all these shocking developments, how are the preorders of this series now? And how did the Japanese otaku react to this?
Old 2011-10-16, 04:43   Link #89
Irenicus
Le fou, c'est moi

Glorious, glorious Penguindrum.

Last edited by Irenicus; 2011-10-16 at 04:50. Reason: I think the rest of the post is better off in episode 13 thread
Old 2011-10-16, 06:06   Link #90
-Sho-
~Omedetô~

Finally watch till this episode.

Yuri , yeah , really sick. But i think , Natsume will save the day.
I'm amazed too for Momoka , according to what Yuri said , she looks like , she was really "mature".
Old 2011-10-16, 06:07   Link #91
ookamigirl

Ken is the only serious one in this whole situation.
That doctor sure has some kind of an agenda.
Ringo sure got herself in trouble..
Really interesting episode.

My Blog --> ookami
Old 2011-10-16, 10:24   Link #92
klare

Ringo just cant stop being involved in this kind of situation, but this time she is the victim...

now i am really interested in what did Kan do to get that much money in a short time

the title of the eps should be "yuri yuri"
Old 2011-10-16, 12:12   Link #93
Dop
Mmmm....

Quote:
Originally Posted by klare View Post
the title of the eps should be "yuri yuri"
Damn, you beat me to it. Although other posters believe Yuri has a 'surprise' - and in this show, you can expect the unexpected.
Old 2011-10-16, 12:40   Link #94
kitten320

So many suprises here that I don't know where to sart...
1. I always thought that the prince actor was he, looks like I was wrong
2. What is Shouma's problem? Shouldn't it be other way around? Ringo getting mad at him? I really don't get him!
3. How exactly does Kamba earn money, I still don't understand it.
4. Eeeehhh?! Yuri is in love with Momoka?! So did not see that coming. Momoka is becoming more and more the centre of universe
5. Looks like Ringo is aout to experience her own medicine, but since she didn't go all the way through I hope Natsume will come and save the day for her
6. Even if Yuri does have a dick, she still is mostly a female. She has feminine voice, looks, body (forget the dick)... she is a girl for biggest part! She is not a guy who has done a surgery to change the gender. If she were to do surgery in the future then it would be much easier to make a girl out of her than a guy. So no matter how much you are in denial yuri haters, it is yuri scene.

EDIT: Wow, someone is a huge yuri hater here

Last edited by kitten320; 2011-10-16 at 15:06.
Old 2011-10-16, 15:58   Link #95
Forsaken_Infinity

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitten320 View Post
Did you, like, immediately get neg repped? Yep, people do that sometimes. I don't even what to say to those lol. If only you could reply to the reps (the reppers could remain anonymous for all I care, I just want to reply to some of the remarks lol).

At this point, my favorite character in the show is #1 >_> Everyone else has issues but he is so true to his lecherous nature that I find it admirable. Esmeralda is a close second. She won huge points with those cosplay pics.
Old 2011-10-16, 16:10   Link #96
kitten320

Yep, almost like 5 mins after posting

Same, I don't really care about neg rep, I just simply want to answer. I find it dumb to neg rep instead of saying openly on what you dissagree. It feels like if they are scared to lose an argument. This forum should make same thing as in one of the narutoforums, you can see the name of the person thar reped you.

I love all the penguins They were main reason why I was watching the show at first
Old 2011-10-16, 16:47   Link #97
Irenicus
Le fou, c'est moi

I'm kind of amused at myself for finding a number of creeeeepy people in this anime endearing.

Sure, black penguin lady may have stalked Kanba everywhere, made him creepy clothes (ladies, don't do that!), kidnapped his brother, painted him as a prince, forcefully erased the memories of his other liaisons, but aww, don't they look so perfect together? And look at them penguins~!

Quote:
1. I always thought that the prince actor was he, looks like I was wrong
Ikuhara is a big fan of Takarazuka.

Quote:
2. What is Shouma's problem? Shouldn't it be other way around? Ringo getting mad at him? I really don't get him!
He's in self-loathing angsty mode. He wasn't trying to hurt her, consciously. When you're that angsty you say all sorts of hurtful things, almost as a means to hurt yourself too by hurting others you care for.

By the way I think most posters are way too harsh on the boy. We see what he blinded himself from seeing -- that Ringo totally didn't care and was kind of in love with him. All he felt was that he was the son of murderers and Ringo's whole crazy stalker Momoka-wannabe life was "his fault."

Quote:
3. How exactly does Kamba earn money, I still don't understand it.
Selling Japanese government secrets to the Russian Federation.

...well actually we don't know yet. One could speculate this might in fact has to do with the organization his parents worked for, what's with all the penguin symbols.

Quote:
6. Even if Yuri does have a dick, she still is mostly a female. She has feminine voice, looks, body (forget the dick)... she is a girl for biggest part! She is not a guy who has done a surgery to change the gender. If she were to do surgery in the future then it would be much easier to make a girl out of her than a guy. So no matter how much you are in denial yuri haters, it is yuri scene.
Tell me about it. I'm not even sure she is one actually. The subtle statement can be interpreted in different ways.

Last edited by CrowKenobi; 2011-10-17 at 00:57. Reason: Please don't discuss rep (forum rule 4.4).
Old 2011-10-16, 16:55   Link #98
moichispa
Endless witch

Episode 14 ending sure was an interesting one. But really Fandom speculation makes harder to wait.

I think I can no longer try to guess what will happen in next episodes of mawaru

Last edited by moichispa; 2011-10-16 at 16:59. Reason: Question 1 was already answered while typing.
Old 2011-10-16, 17:02   Link #99
Kirarakim

Quote:
Okay first of all to be clear the negative rep was not me. I don't believe in giving negative reps.

But I think it is possible that people are not "Yuri Haters" here but Anti-Rape.

I have nothing against Yuri. For example after episode 14 I am starting to ship the Himari/Double H Girls. I was also going to say Ringo/Himari but I am too much of a Ringo/Shouma shipper for that.

But I have to admit I am bothered by the whole Ringo/Yuri thing because of the whole rape aspect and the fact that Yuri is an adult taking advantage of a teenager. I think everyone is allowed to like what they like but it does bother me on a personal level.

Not that I think you should have gotten a negative rep over your post though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irenicus
By the way I think most posters are way too harsh on the boy. We see what he blinded himself from seeing -- that Ringo totally didn't care and was kind of in love with him. All he felt was that he was the son of murderers and Ringo's whole crazy stalker Momoka-wannabe life was "his fault."

I totally agree but I think it was sort of the anime's fault because while Shouma's change in personality is understandable it also was a bit sudden. I think they should have shown more hints that Shouma had such a self loathing side.

But I think this dark side of Shouma is for the best story wise because that way Ringo will be able to help him like he helped her. It will make for better drama & add to their relationship in the end.

And finally I also love all the Penguins!
Old 2011-10-16, 18:18   Link #100
gsilver

All I can say is that if Yuri's secret turns out to be that she's actually a car... I'm going to shake my fist in the air and shout "Ikuhara!"