AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Death Note

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2007-04-03, 17:45   Link #1
SinsI

Supernatural - Death Gods and Death Note Rules

Out of this world influence is a very important aspect of the Death Note universe.
Shinigami, their Death Notes, and several other supernatural aspects are major factors in this story. We don't know much about of them, and most of the information we have comes either from the Shinigami themselves (and they can lie) or from the so-called "How to use" rules for Death Note.
Of course, the latter are far from actually being just "How to use", especially with rules such as XXXVI
Spoiler:

Rather, these are an attempt to answer some of the readers questions.
A list of them was on infoseek, but it is no longer there.
There are two sets of them - one being in Japanese, the other in English.
How different are they?
What exactly do those rules mean, what would happen if ...? Why are some of them so controversial and illogical? Are all of them true? What made the author create such rules?
Please discuss these and other questions regarding anything supernatural in the Death Note here.

Last edited by SinsI; 2007-05-01 at 13:35.
Old 2007-04-04, 02:08   Link #2
Kittie Rose

Does it ever explain it in the manga?

If not, they should make another that does.

I mean, I don't want it explained down to the ground to the point where it's mundane and all scientific trickery, it just needs to be expanded upon.
Old 2007-04-04, 05:56   Link #3
Jaden

rule XXIX

"You cannot kill humans with less than 12 minutes of life left (in human calculatons)."

I guess this means that the wacko who was going to kill Misa along with himself would really only have killed Misa

rule XXXIV

"...a god of death who comes to the human world,in the objective to kill the owner of the DEATH NOTE,will not be able to do so."

"Only a god of death that has passed on their DEATH NOTE to a human is able to kill the owner of the DEATH NOTE."

Rem can't really kill Light
Old 2007-04-04, 06:19   Link #4
SinsI

I think everything the rules say about remaining lifespans (i.e. halving one's life in exchange for the eyes) is false, the main reason being the Death Note itself.
We already know that if you kill a murderer his victim's life would be extended.
And Kira is killing dozens of those every day, irreversibly changing the fates of all their future victims. Add the "butterfly effect" - and it becomes obvious that no such thing as "remaining lifespan" could exist.
I think this rule is a Deus ex machina, reflecting the author's dislike for superpowered characters and his desire to kill'em off faster.
Old 2007-04-04, 06:27   Link #5
Jaden

the shinigami and the death notes are one huge deus ex machina. Ryuk says himself that no one knows why they even exist. and truly, there's no reason besides that they're necessary for the story.
Old 2007-04-04, 08:24   Link #6
bayoab

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaden View Post
rule XXIX

"You cannot kill humans with less than 12 minutes of life left (in human calculatons)."

I guess this means that the wacko who was going to kill Misa along with himself would really only have killed Misa
Where was it written that he was going to kill himself too?

Quote:
rule XXXIV

"...a god of death who comes to the human world,in the objective to kill the owner of the DEATH NOTE,will not be able to do so."

"Only a god of death that has passed on their DEATH NOTE to a human is able to kill the owner of the DEATH NOTE."

Rem's objective wasn't to kill Light so only the second rule would possibly apply and Rem passed on a note to Misa which would mean she isn't affected by that rule either. (These rules are really a plot hole cover for a later event though.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SinsI View Post
I think everything the rules say about remaining lifespans (i.e. halving one's life in exchange for the eyes) is false, the main reason being the Death Note itself.
We already know that if you kill a murderer his victim's life would be extended.
And Kira is killing dozens of those every day, irreversibly changing the fates of all their future victims. Add the "butterfly effect" - and it becomes obvious that no such thing as "remaining lifespan" could exist.
I think this rule is a Deus ex machina, reflecting the author's dislike for superpowered characters and his desire to kill'em off faster.
Many of the murders were already in jail/arrested and were unlikely to kill again. However, for those who possibly would kill another person, the rule is probably meant to be interpreted as you can't kill someone to knowingly extending another's.
Old 2007-04-06, 04:27   Link #7
SinsI

Is there a limit to the things you can write with?
What would happen if you write a name with a pencil and erase it afterward?
Old 2007-04-06, 07:41   Link #8
Mr JeburtO

some of the rules are weird, for example in the previous episode i watched the rule "if the name is written in two death notes then the first to be completed takes effect" or something similar.

but in the next episode it said "if the same name is written within 0.006 seconds in another death note then they cancel each other out"

is this really neccesary
Old 2007-04-16, 17:19   Link #9
Druix
Kira's Faithful Follower

Quote:
Is there a limit to the things you can write with?
What would happen if you write a name with a pencil and erase it afterward?
  • You can write with anything, including things like blood or cosmetics (ZOMGFORESHADOWING!), as long as it remains as legible letters.

Death Note: How to Use It XI covers most of your next question;
  • Even after the individual's name, the time of death, and death condition on the Death Note were filled out, the time and condition of death can be altered as many times as you want, as long as it is changed within 6 minutes and 40 seconds from the time it was filled it. But, of course, this is only possible before the victims dies.
  • Whenever you want to change anything written on the Death Note within 6 minutes and 40 seconds after you wrote, you must first rule out the characters you want to erase with two straight lines.
  • As you see above, the time and condition of death can be changed, but once the victim's name has been written, the individual's death can never be avoided.
And HTUI XLIII goes over it once more, just in case;
  • It is useless trying to erase names written in the Death Note with erasers or white-out.

Not concerning the above rules...
My favorite rule has always been from XXXVI, as mentioned in the first post of this thread. I understand why it was written, to answer fans' questions avoid as many creepy fanfics as possible, but still. It's called "Death Note: How to Use It" and that has nothing to do with actually using the Note XD
Old 2007-04-24, 19:47   Link #10
Hisago
The Superchunky from Hell

I'm especially interested in the punishments that the Death Gods receive for breaking the rules... Considering the highest-level ones result in death, the Shingaimi must not break the rules very often. I guess they're vunerable to things in their own realm.
Old 2007-04-27, 11:29   Link #11
distantarray

L gets an idea

this is cute, also makes me wonder if anyone would've actually done this lol

http://ic1.deviantart.com/fs12/f/200...3/3/DA_DN2.jpg
Old 2007-05-01, 13:37   Link #12
SinsI

Any new links for the list of "How to" rules? The old one is no longer working and I've deleted it.
Old 2008-08-24, 17:22   Link #13
saku-san
L-sama's little sister
*Author

well the rules dont make much sence cuz i got the 'how to use 13' n they 'explain' the rules n all but all they r doing is re-writeing them

anyways my fave. rule is the one that was first posted ^_^
its funny to me
n also the one that says :
the god of death will not die from lack of sleep. moreover, gods of death do not really need sleep. the means of sleep for gods of death is essentialy different from humens and is merely lazyness.

thats calling all shinigami lazy ^_^
Old 2008-08-25, 14:30   Link #14
Aquaman OS

They pretty much are. Shinigami lead pretty boring and crappy lives. It's the trade off for being immortal. Human's only live a short time but can have much more fufilling lives and the human world is much more interesting. Balances everything out.
Old 2008-08-27, 18:35   Link #15
saku-san
L-sama's little sister
*Author

hee hee true so very true
but i still like saying rem want all that lazy though she did stuff
Old 2008-09-27, 14:19   Link #16
Aquillion

Quote:
You know, that would be a humorous point -- if Ryuk knows all along that it's impossible for Light to be saving anyone with the use of a Death Note, and just laughs to himself about it.

(That would also imply that people who he thought he saved early on would not have died, but that's not much of a stretch.)
Old 2008-09-29, 04:34   Link #17
shibuyakazuya_fhaye

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaden View Post
rule XXIX

rule XXXIV

wah....sugoi
i haven't really know that!?
Old 2008-11-17, 12:29   Link #18
OtseisRagnarok
Manifesto
*Author

Send a message via AIM to OtseisRagnarok
Does anyone know where I can find the complete list of rules?
Old 2008-11-17, 12:35   Link #19
C.A.
Absolute Haruhist!
*Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by OtseisRagnarok View Post
Does anyone know where I can find the complete list of rules?
I just googled: 'death nore rules' and a whole bunch of links came up with the correct answers.

A neat one: http://www.zanpakuto.com/viewblog?id=29
When I say 'My god...', god refers to Haruhi-sama.

My art album updated 11th May 2013, Science.
Deviant Art: http://ca0001.deviantart.com/
Old 2008-11-17, 12:48   Link #20
OtseisRagnarok
Manifesto
*Author

Send a message via AIM to OtseisRagnarok
Quote:
Originally Posted by C.A. View Post
I just googled: 'death nore rules' and a whole bunch of links came up with the correct answers.

A neat one: http://www.zanpakuto.com/viewblog?id=29
Thanks. I didn't know it'd be so easy to find...
Closed Thread