AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Spice and Wolf

Notices

View Poll Results: Spice and Wolf - Episode 11 Rating
Perfect 10 37 43.53%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 21 24.71%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 19 22.35%
7 out of 10 : Good 6 7.06%
6 out of 10 : Average 1 1.18%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 0 0%
4 out of 10 : Poor 0 0%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 1 1.18%
Voters: 85. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2008-03-13, 16:45   Link #81
RampagingEvangelion
Asuka, Asuna, and Horo

This was a great episode. Horo's reaction was nothing what I expected it to be! She was angry at Lawrence for not being angry at her, lol. But the entire scene was done well. Especially the end of it when they hug.

After looking at the title of episode 13, I'm almost potitive there will be a season 2. It's something like, 'Wolf and New Departure'. So I think that this scheme of theirs will take up the remainder of this season.

I still think Lawrence is going to do something with the armor that will make him an enormous profit. I don't know what it is, but I think he'll do it.
Old 2008-03-13, 17:11   Link #82
Deathkillz
~ You're dead ^__^* ~
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via MSN to Deathkillz
Why can't I shake off the feeling that Nora is being under paid

Come on, Lawrence isn't that cheap

Rewatching the scene again when they made up was really sweet...Lawrence choosing the "latter" choice should well have got that for the way he did hurt Horo's feelings ^^

Siggy: hohohohoho~ | AnimeHistory welcome to our blog ~ | Summer2009 early review
Under the radar series Summer2009: Kanamemo, GA Geijutsuka Art, NEEDLESS
Old 2008-03-13, 17:11   Link #83
Oxtail

Love the series, but I thought this episode was lackluster. The Horo/Lawrence interactions were great, as usual, but everything else seemed off.

The whole story is about the adventures of a wandering merchant. I was hoping they'd find some crazy business scheme to get him out of debt. Instead we're left with gold smuggling. If it were that easy and lucrative to smuggle gold and if Lawrence really had as few qualms with it as he appears to, then it makes me wonder why he wastes his life earning pennies on furs and wheat when a few gold transactions could buy him the house he dreamed of. It just seemed off in the context of the story. And the fact that he instantly knew how to sucker poor Nora into the plan seemed all too convenient and a bit out of character. Smuggling gold is a pretty serious crime, but it seems to be treated as just another business venture.

Maybe I'd be more OK with it if he spent more time debating the morality and difficulty of it, but the whole scheme seemed to pop out of nowhere.
Old 2008-03-13, 17:12   Link #84
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

That title is a hopeful sign for more seasons or OVAs .... though it could also be the equivalent of "and they rode off into the sunset".

Sorry for being a regular Eeyore -- I've just seen too many series that *really* deserved better treatment or follow-on seasons that simply withered away despite being popular. I'll be as excited as anyone if they announce more "spicy wolf" though.

I really don't understand why ya'll think Nora is being suckered. She's being paid 20 Rumiones -- half of Lawrence's total debt of 47 Rumiones. Its more money than she's ever seen in her life. It will let her accomplish all of her dreams and get away from the Church. If it fails --- she's no worse off than she would be in a short time anyway (torn to shreds by wolves, raped and killed by mercs, or burned as a witch). Lawrence was straight forward about the risks -- she knows the penalty for smuggling gold.

Lawrence is only considering gold smuggling because he's dead meat in 24 hours. Under normal conditions, the risk and penalty is too high.
The expressions on the faces of people at the trading company at the end should give some clue.

Last edited by Vexx; 2008-03-13 at 19:44.
Old 2008-03-13, 17:36   Link #85
BigGimp77

Ugggh THERE HAS TO BE A SECOND SEASON

Can't believe the series is coming to an end. Another great episode btw.
Old 2008-03-13, 17:44   Link #86
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Send a message via AIM to FlareKnight Send a message via MSN to FlareKnight
Well considering the church hasn't made many pals don't think the morality of sneaking under them is the real issue. They'd light Horo up on a stake if they found out about her. Plus it's not exactly something you can do on a regular basis.

They can only do this because Nora can safely get through the shortcut, won't be checked, and has a grudge against the church. Plus its not like she can do it more than once due to the heavy risk. Also not a lot of time to be worried about things since they were running out of time to make the call. There aren't really any other options available. When its this or the mines they'll take the chance.

Hard to say how good Nora's cut is. She's definitely taking the major risk and this couldn't happen without her. But the company needs a large share to get itself out of trouble, Lawrence needs a good chunk because Horo came up with it in the first place and needs to pay his debt. Besides its enough money to get away and start a career she really wants. Vexx is right this is more money than she's ever seen. Sure more would be nice, but this is definitely enough for what her needs are.

Do like how its seems they will end it with the pair heading back onto the road. Really leaves it open nicely for more seasons or some OVAs. Of course I'm all for a second season myself . I know nothing is set in stone, but nothing really wrong with some optimism.
Old 2008-03-13, 19:48   Link #87
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlareKnight View Post
Actually after checking it out it was just a accidental vote. Going for a higher one and it ended up as a 1. Does happen to people, know I've made a bad vote before. Though don't ask him where and when since I can't remember . Certainly some do give 1 votes for a lot of reasons, but this one just sits on the accident side.
heh... that's why I mitigated my post to allow for that possiblity. MercFH should post something though so someone doesn't fly off the handle at him.

Crap... now I'm already wanting the next episode even though we're just racing to the end of the series. Gaaaaah.....
Old 2008-03-13, 20:42   Link #88
Thentus

Location: Might as well waste five seconds of your life; Pennsylvania
Send a message via MSN to Thentus
Looking forward to Season 2 is all I can say.
Old 2008-03-13, 22:28   Link #89
RampagingEvangelion
Asuka, Asuna, and Horo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thentus View Post
Looking forward to Season 2 is all I can say.
That's the spirit!

"That title is a hopeful sign for more seasons or OVAs .... though it could also be the equivalent of "and they rode off into the sunset"." -- Vexx

I also considered that Vexx, the entire: Horo and Lawrence ride off, leaving their fate to our imagination and authors on FFN such as myself.

Hopefully it won't come to that though. But back on topic...
Old 2008-03-13, 22:37   Link #90
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Send a message via AIM to FlareKnight Send a message via MSN to FlareKnight
Watching the episode yet again. Yes, I liked it enough to keep on watching in order to procrastinate from actual work. At 16:50 Nora has one heck of an expression on her face. Kind of like "I really don't want to be here." Some sort of bored, something expression. Just seemed really odd look.
Old 2008-03-13, 23:06   Link #91
seaghyn16
Translator Level 4/10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oxtail View Post
Love the series, but I thought this episode was lackluster. The Horo/Lawrence interactions were great, as usual, but everything else seemed off.

The whole story is about the adventures of a wandering merchant. I was hoping they'd find some crazy business scheme to get him out of debt. Instead we're left with gold smuggling. If it were that easy and lucrative to smuggle gold and if Lawrence really had as few qualms with it as he appears to, then it makes me wonder why he wastes his life earning pennies on furs and wheat when a few gold transactions could buy him the house he dreamed of. It just seemed off in the context of the story. And the fact that he instantly knew how to sucker poor Nora into the plan seemed all too convenient and a bit out of character. Smuggling gold is a pretty serious crime, but it seems to be treated as just another business venture.

Maybe I'd be more OK with it if he spent more time debating the morality and difficulty of it, but the whole scheme seemed to pop out of nowhere.
I can understand what you mean by, "hey, why can't he put gold in sheeps stomachs more often" if it's just that easy.

The answer I came up with is that it's not about the method, it's about the people that are involved along the way. Lawrence did say when he was bringing the idea to the company, that it was a method already tried. That means it was a method already failed. BSS subbed it as "there've have been people in the past that tried the same method." tried being indictive of not succeeding. In this case, Lawrence knows of someone who wouldn't betray the smuggling effort, he himself rests on it's succeess, so he's telling the company he can't betray it, as he needs it to succeed, and the company has no reason to betray it as their motive is profits, and this is a huge + to everyone, that the people involved won't betray the effort, and they will do their best to see it succeed.

Second, the method. Not as important, but still thought about. Utilizing THE ONLY shephard that can take the road to Ramtra, (the short way, where short means less time for information leaking, less time for problems, and "more" time for success.) It's also a harsher road, so less people use it, raising success against discovery or other such things.

Add all these up, and this is one huge luck fest after another. Nora was never in any of the scams before, where betraying occured often I am sure. (Look at the guy that told Lawrence he wanted to help with the $, but wouldn't because of Lawrences morals or lack thereof) I'm sure one person involved would go to the church. Though Lawrence has done a good job of eliminating that.

As for talking to her in the open about it instead of saying something like, let's go to Ramtra, theres a job. Then on the road, where NO ONE is around, telling her the details, that's a huge problem...chance of discovery or problem rose highly. He also gave her all the facts, dangers, concepts, and pay off. No one is being decieved, so has a smaller reason to do any deceiving. but someone else may have overheard.

So believe me Oxtail, this is that grand scheme. There is nothing "grander" than gold smuggling. The profits are immense, (the dangers are immense...) so it's the biggest gig since VanGoh invented paint =). It's not easy, and it is extremely crazy. It's never been successful before. But like Oceans 11, 12, 13, all the key players are assembled, no run will run out and betray, and a solid route for the smuggling has been developed. Que road to Ramtra. Haunted by Wolves and beasts. If one sheep gets eaten or taken away, etc, that's the end of probobly a huge amount of gold and a huge profit. This is big, so don't think it's not grand. ^_^ Again, this is huge.

Last thing, as to why Lawrence "wastes" his time on pennies and pelts instead of gold gigs. Lawrence has talked before "to Chloe" for one, about the dangers of huge jobs. Lawrence said he wants to steadily gain wealth, (again think about his "soft" nature) all he does is take items from one place to another for a slightly larger profit, continuing this again and again to increase his finances. He wants the least danger, and the best relations. Simply taking goods one place to another isn't a huge money maker, but think of the people that will be glad for the goods he can bring, and how doing this again and again can build relations between a merchant and the places they go. It's security also. Now throw in gold gigs, and eventually Lawrence will end up broke, dead, or a combination of the two. It's a huge risk, gold smuggling. And Lawrence has always taken the least risky road, except once, and look what it did to him. There is also a slight bit of desperation in him now, but Horo makes sure that doesn't cloud his thinking.

Okay, I'm sorry for the size of this post, I know its huge =) Read it if you have the time ^_^

Last edited by seaghyn16; 2008-03-13 at 23:21.
Old 2008-03-14, 05:32   Link #92
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

I'm worried. An awful lot of people know about it, and all it takes is one of them thinking the Church would reward an informant well, and that it's a more sure-fire way to get out of trouble than the high risk gold smuggling.
Old 2008-03-14, 05:50   Link #93
seaghyn16
Translator Level 4/10

@Anh Minh I second the motion
Old 2008-03-14, 06:44   Link #94
Joachim
et tu, brute?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khaos View Post
Just another good episode. Horo standing behind Lawrence at the end was just

There is one:
Spoiler for All Hail to the Tail!:
so now we have horoism... nice
Old 2008-03-14, 08:11   Link #95
Tri-ring

seaghyn16

Here is a revised version.

Spoiler for My revised speculations:

How is that?
Old 2008-03-14, 08:39   Link #96
seaghyn16
Translator Level 4/10

@Tri-ring.....

your ungodly....

Seriously, did you have a tip off at all? Just tell me. I'm getting the feeling that that is exactly how the episode will turn out. (or two episodes), no joke. Your freakin me out =). You should definitely go into script writing, or running through draft outlines to work on story's / movies. You have talent.

I take back the above paragraph only under the condition that A) you were tipped off to the next episode by the light novels/ other source, or B) someone else wrote it and you copied.

Honestly, I'm pretty sure you came up with this all, but what do I know ^_^.

Again....your ungodly....everything even down to Horo's way of securing a little more profit, it's....crazy. I applaud your geniousness ^_^
Old 2008-03-14, 08:55   Link #97
Tri-ring

Quote:
Originally Posted by seaghyn16 View Post
@Tri-ring.....

your ungodly....

Seriously, did you have a tip off at all? Just tell me. I'm getting the feeling that that is exactly how the episode will turn out. (or two episodes), no joke. Your freakin me out =). You should definitely go into script writing, or running through draft outlines to work on story's / movies. You have talent.

I take back the above paragraph only under the condition that A) you were tipped off to the next episode by the light novels/ other source, or B) someone else wrote it and you copied.

Honestly, I'm pretty sure you came up with this all, but what do I know ^_^.

Again....your ungodly....everything even down to Horo's way of securing a little more profit, it's....crazy. I applaud your geniousness ^_^
No I have no idea whatsoever on how the story will turn out but I thought it was the logical course considering how tariff of gold is handled, the looks of Lemerio being a crook, and Horo's craftyness, added detail on my base assumptions.
It's just how I imagined would be fun for the story to turn out.
Old 2008-03-14, 09:43   Link #98
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Hmmmm, I do think think I don't entirely trust the guild house Lawrence is working this game with to get out of debt. Heh, I don't know if it would play out that way but I could see some faction within the trading house trying to muck the works up by informing and Horo having to dispense some pagan justice.

Just pointing out before anyone gets the idea that Horo going "wolf" is a deux ex machina to get out of plot corners. Lawrence could be down and dead (hail of arrows) before she gets a chance to change.... and she could also be taken down in human form (though she could reconstitute later). She's also made it plain she'd do almost anything to avoid having to resort to 'wolf-form' because it reinforces her alien nature to humanity (as far as she knows she's the last of her kind).
Old 2008-03-14, 11:05   Link #99
Sinestra
ショ ン (^^)
*IT Support

Send a message via AIM to Sinestra Send a message via MSN to Sinestra Send a message via Yahoo to Sinestra
I must say this episode was done beautifully. Horo and Lawrence make in the fashion i would expect for the 2. Horo's affections are really quite interesting if you study them hard enough. Iv noticed her affection towards Lawrence has increased much more physical contact then before numerous huggs and her holding on to him. The little act she had Lawrence play when they were making up was very cute but i really dont think was act. Its obvious that Lawrence thinks of Horo as a special person and its obvious with all the male refrences she is trying to either make Lawrence into the kind of male she feels he should be. I really do feel the chemistry between those 2 and i love every moment of it.

I found it so interesting that Horo blamed herself for what happened. But Lawrence said he was sorry. It was nice to see that Lawrence knew that Horo just wanted to help him and Lawrence knew this. I actually liked the plan Horo came up with, its a plan that only these 2 can pull off. I agree with this plan after all no risk no glory but what remains to be seen is how successful this plan will be.

As much as im trying not to get my hopes up with Horo and Lawrence remaining together at the end. With scenes like in episode 11 its so hard not to they are so good together so watching them part ways would be really difficult. Do i think they love each other at this point no but i do think Horo is starting to look at Lawrence as some type of potential mate and we all know Lawrence has taken quite a liking to her they are doing all they can to stay together. I think Lawrence even hinted about what he really thought of Horo but it was kind of in passing and Horo played it off as him not knowing anything about females

great episode 10/10 all the way.
Old 2008-03-14, 22:15   Link #100
Ninjamasta

Just watched this episode, and all I could say is I WANT MORE! MORE and MORE! There got to be another seasson.

Horo finally realized that forcing Lawrence to take her along the trip was a bad idea. Lawrance tried to blame it all to himself and appologize to Horo. That scene where Horo forced him to say "you are special" is so cute. Makes me wonder, does women want us men to lie just to please them?

Anyway, can someone tell me how did Horo blackmail the debtor to go along with their plan? I dont understand that part where she quotes something and all of a sudden the guy painfully accepted their deal.

Now here comes Nora...(Lolicon power) gave a liitle hint to Lawrence about her feeling towards him. He was as always clueless.

I say Horo is way ahead of Nora in points, but maybe a surprize comeback of the underdog would be interesting.
Closed Thread