AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Fairy Tail

Notices

Old 2011-09-23, 09:15   Link #3601
immblueversion

I never really understood why people translated a name that's pronounced "Sharuru" into "Carla."

I just know what you should be doing.
immblueversion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-09-23, 09:36   Link #3602
larethian

it's from an official glossary given to QB, the translator responsible, if I'm not wrong.
larethian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-09-23, 12:47   Link #3603
Clarste
Human

Yup, it's just the official word from the publishers or producers or something.
Clarste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-09-23, 13:33   Link #3604
immblueversion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarste View Post
Yup, it's just the official word from the publishers or producers or something.
This being from the same sub that translated Ur's name as "Ul" and Grandeeney's name as "Grandine", even after the publishers of which you speak stated otherwise?

Old 2011-09-23, 13:42   Link #3605
Randrak42
ANEGO Worshiper

Her name is Charle...it annoys me so every time I read "Carla" >_>
Randrak42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-09-23, 13:47   Link #3606
immblueversion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randrak42 View Post
Her name is Charle...it annoys me so every time I read "Carla" >_>
It might even actually be "Charles" (the French pronunciation, of course, with a silent "s"), because in the opening sequence of the OVA, it spells out her name as such.

It's weird how many things change once the manga is released in English by Kodansha, like when they revealed that Juvia's surname is "Lockser" instead of "Loxar," "Fried's" name is actually "Freed," and "Bixlow" is "Bickslow." It's probably because people grow so accustomed to fan translations that they take them as official translations, since they're so much more accessible to everyone. There has been more than one account of people going to Wikipedia and changing Ur's name to "Ul" just because her daughter Ultear was named after her being the tears of her mother (and no, that's not a manga spoiler; it was stated clearly by Siegrain/Jellal in episode 18, where Ultear was revealed to be Ur's daughter in the first place). And don't get me started on Jellal/Gerard...

Of course, this brings up the fact that, in the first season, there were instances of Erza's name being spelled "Elsa" or "Elza." Well, I believe in one of those episodes, the scene was edited to spell her name as "Erza" (episode 10, where you can see Erza's name written on that tally board where she and Natsu are fighting). At least, it was edited when I checked out the episode uploaded by Funimation, so maybe the same was done for the home release in Japan. But I can't say for sure.

Old 2011-09-23, 15:30   Link #3607
Krono

Quote:
Originally Posted by immblueversion View Post
I never really understood why people translated a name that's pronounced "Sharuru" into "Carla."
Quote:
It might even actually be "Charles" (the French pronunciation, of course, with a silent "s"), because in the opening sequence of the OVA, it spells out her name as such.
What Mashima was originally intended was "Charles". Read back through this thread to the start of the Oricon Seis arc, and you can see the "WTF Charles is a guys name! That's so stupid!" type reactions that provoked due to the minor detail that in English, Charles is pretty much exclusively a male name. Seeing as Quarkboy, the translator for Crunchyroll's Fairy Tail subs (aka, the official anime subs) reads these forums, said reaction was relayed, with the eventually result being a change to Carla.

Quote:
It's weird how many things change once the manga is released in English by Kodansha, like when they revealed that Juvia's surname is "Lockser" instead of "Loxar," "Fried's" name is actually "Freed," and "Bixlow" is "Bickslow." It's probably because people grow so accustomed to fan translations that they take them as official translations, since they're so much more accessible to everyone. There has been more than one account of people going to Wikipedia and changing Ur's name to "Ul" just because her daughter Ultear was named after her being the tears of her mother (and no, that's not a manga spoiler; it was stated clearly by Siegrain/Jellal in episode 18, where Ultear was revealed to be Ur's daughter in the first place). And don't get me started on Jellal/Gerard...

Of course, this brings up the fact that, in the first season, there were instances of Erza's name being spelled "Elsa" or "Elza." Well, I believe in one of those episodes, the scene was edited to spell her name as "Erza" (episode 10, where you can see Erza's name written on that tally board where she and Natsu are fighting). At least, it was edited when I checked out the episode uploaded by Funimation, so maybe the same was done for the home release in Japan. But I can't say for sure.
Actually, the thing with Ul/Ur is because IIRC, there's a mismatch between the Crunchyroll subs, and the Del Rey/Kodansha manga translation. William Flannagan, the translator for the manga used Ur, and Quarkboy used Ul. Given the relationship between Ul and Ultear, and that Ultear's name is supposed to be derived from Ul's, I suspect that the manga's use of Ur is an error that crept into the whole process, and would not be surprised to see it use Ul the next time her name comes up.
Krono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-09-23, 22:13   Link #3608
immblueversion

Well, the latest episode is out.

Spoiler for Episode 98:

Old 2011-09-23, 22:24   Link #3609
ars89
One-Eyed Dragon

Spoiler for ep 98:
Old 2011-09-23, 22:29   Link #3610
immblueversion

Quote:
Originally Posted by ars89 View Post
Spoiler for ep 98:
Spoiler for Episode 98:

Old 2011-09-23, 22:37   Link #3611
Krono

Quote:
Spoiler for Episode 98:
Spoiler:
Krono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-09-23, 23:28   Link #3612
Ryus
The One Eyed King

Spoiler for Episode 98:
Old 2011-09-24, 00:41   Link #3613
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Send a message via AIM to FlareKnight Send a message via MSN to FlareKnight
Spoiler for Ep98:
Old 2011-09-24, 01:28   Link #3614
Dist

Send a message via MSN to Dist
This episode only proves how useless Lucy really is. That wool attack would have been completely useless if Bickslow had fought properly.
Old 2011-09-24, 01:52   Link #3615
MAX_COLA_POWER!

Well actually Dist, in the manga version of this fight, she's not as useless as you may think.
MAX_COLA_POWER! is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-09-24, 02:23   Link #3616
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Send a message via AIM to FlareKnight Send a message via MSN to FlareKnight
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dist View Post
This episode only proves how useless Lucy really is. That wool attack would have been completely useless if Bickslow had fought properly.
Talk about taking an exaggerated view point. Lucy is having to fight without her ace which is a serious handicap. It'd be like having Natsu disallowed from using his roar. Besides since the fight was thrown how can we possibly guess at how ineffective the wool attack would have been? The cave doesn't give Bickslow nearly as much open space as the last time he and Lucy fought, not to mention he doesn't have much in terms of replacements for his dolls. Just because Freed and Bickslow agreed to throw the fight before it got started doesn't give anything to judge Lucy or Cana's abilities from.
Old 2011-09-24, 02:26   Link #3617
MAX_COLA_POWER!

You guys REALLY wanna know how Lucy and Cana won that fight in the manga?
Old 2011-09-24, 03:56   Link #3618
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Animation looks top notch for next weeks episode. Just what we need!
Old 2011-09-24, 06:35   Link #3619
MAX_COLA_POWER!

Alright, I'm gonna say it before it goes too far.
Spoiler for The real knockout punch:
Old 2011-09-24, 08:30   Link #3620
FuMa

Freed showed again how awesome is he! I wonder the "couple" that will be against Mirajane will they fight? heh ... She only fought once in the last 2 years! I really wanted freed to become S class but it doesnt matter , he didn't become because he had a good reason !
FuMa is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
action, adventure, fantasy, shounen