Notices

Old 2013-01-20, 20:00   Link #301
NoemiChan
Banned

Send a message via Yahoo to NoemiChan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiibi View Post
>_> Tell me about it.
Extra negative points if they have giant glasses.
Forgot the glasses...
NoemiChan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-20, 21:34   Link #302
Traece
:cool:

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyl View Post
Well that is the funny part, because it's an anime cliche that most animes have a teenage/adolscent main character. Just pick some random anime from the last few years (or decade for what i care) and i can even guarantee that most of them fit in that category
That's mostly due to the target audience determining the age of the characters. If the target audience is younger people, naturally the cast will be around that age. Most teenagers don't want to watch grown-ass men having political bouts and fighting over women, and going bald, and stuff.

Quote:
Extra negative points if they have giant glasses.
This actually raises a fantastic question:

Why?

Why do the girls with the glasses end up having large breasts? I mean, it's certainly not paralleled in real life. How did that come to be a thing?
Old 2013-01-20, 21:43   Link #303
NoemiChan
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traece View Post
This actually raises a fantastic question:
Adds to the "klutz" factor. Imagine

The girl runs with her boobs like crazy swaying crying.. Yamette!!!

She trips down and exposes her pantsu moaning..

Tries to stand and fixes glasses saying "Ara?"

WTF?!
Old 2013-01-20, 22:07   Link #304
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

In theory, the girl with the glasses does more reading, and thus sits alot more...less physical activity, more time for fat to accumulate (in the chest in these cases).
Old 2013-01-20, 22:55   Link #305
NoemiChan
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ithekro View Post
In theory, the girl with the glasses does more reading, and thus sits alot more...less physical activity, more time for fat to accumulate (in the chest in these cases).
True but in ecchi, it has its different appeal. Thats the same reason why the tag megami exist in adult manga sites.
Old 2013-01-21, 05:40   Link #306
Rosalena
/人◕ ‿‿ ◕人\

I think as I grow older I'm becoming more aware (and less tolerant) of things that irritate me. A few years ago I would have scoffed at the idea that any trope or cliche could bother me enough to sit down and write about it, but now it feels cathartic. Allow me to share two with you:

1.) The fanged girl (ex. Kirino Kousaka). If I spot a female character with a yaeba fang in the promotion materials my interest in the series/movie/OVA automatically plummets. These characters (with perhaps one or two exceptions) invariably come across as ridiculously over-the-top stereotypes. I realize that some people disagree with me, but yaeba teeth are not attractive at all. Add to that an abrasive and loud personality and you have single-handedly the most annoying cliche in the industry in my opinion.

2.) The clenched teeth, grinning-to-one-side shounen protagonist (ex. that kid from Ao no Exorcist). Unlike with the fanged girl, if I see that the promotional materials for an upcoming title has one of these boys in it then I won't watch it. These characters are generally even more irritating than fanged girls. These characters are typically loud, over-bearing caricatures of adolescent boys encompassing all of the negatives of that stage of life.
Old 2013-01-21, 05:55   Link #307
Kudryavka

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosalena View Post
I think as I grow older I'm becoming more aware (and less tolerant) of things that irritate me. A few years ago I would have scoffed at the idea that any trope or cliche could bother me enough to sit down and write about it, but now it feels cathartic. Allow me to share two with you:

1.) The fanged girl (ex. Kirino Kousaka). If I spot a female character with a yaeba fang in the promotion materials my interest in the series/movie/OVA automatically plummets. These characters (with perhaps one or two exceptions) invariably come across as ridiculously over-the-top stereotypes. I realize that some people disagree with me, but yaeba teeth are not attractive at all. Add to that an abrasive and loud personality and you have single-handedly the most annoying cliche in the industry in my opinion.

2.) The clenched teeth, grinning-to-one-side shounen protagonist (ex. that kid from Ao no Exorcist). Unlike with the fanged girl, if I see that the promotional materials for an upcoming title has one of these boys in it then I won't watch it. These characters are generally even more irritating than fanged girls. These characters are typically loud, over-bearing caricatures of adolescent boys encompassing all of the negatives of that stage of life.
Totally agree with number 2. Those smiles annoy me, they come off s too cheeky.
Kudryavka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-21, 08:03   Link #308
Benigmatica
Deadpan Rambler

Send a message via Yahoo to Benigmatica
Arranged Marriage... coming from a rival who wanted to steal the heroine from the main character.

I don't know why but it seems that's is similar to NTR!
Benigmatica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-21, 12:54   Link #309
Chiibi
Vanitas owns you >:3

Send a message via AIM to Chiibi Send a message via MSN to Chiibi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dovahkyon View Post
this makes me think. do women like girly men more then big manly guys?
Generally, yes.
Women value beauty over muscles and facial hair.

For me though, they cannot be TOO girly....or it becomes a turn-off.

Quote:
they say they are but their far from it
Appearance-wise, they are not far from it at all. They are normal, human teens to whom strange things occur. That isn't going to affect facial hair.

Quote:

I love both of these...... ._. clenched teeth smiles are awesome. It shows the character is impish and confident. Turn it into a grimace and pair it with wide eyes and that's the best "OH CRAP" face you can depict.
Old 2013-01-21, 12:57   Link #310
NoemiChan
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benigmatica View Post
Arranged Marriage... coming from a rival who wanted to steal the heroine from the main character.
I think its not actually "stealing" since it was arranged before she and the MC met each other...
Old 2013-01-21, 13:20   Link #311
Chiibi

^It's referred to as "stealing" because this fiancee never has the MC's heart to begin with. The fiancee is brought in to simply be an obstacle course in the canon couple's relationship "You belong to me not because you love me but because Daddy said so!"...and yes, this is always annoying and very overused. Shoujo manga do this as well.
Old 2013-01-21, 13:36   Link #312
Kudryavka

Not sure if this is a cliche or strange artistic choice, but I'll go.

i didnt like how in the 2006 animated "Kanon", Kyoto Animation made the main character, Yuichi, look just like Kyon from Haruhi Suzumiya, because the artist of Kanon's source never draws guys like that. She always draws her guys, then and now, very bishonen, very skinny and andrygonus and with very girly looks. The animation company decided to draw Yuichi way too manly imo, he's buff and tall, has tiny eyes and a long face, and doesnt look girly at all. Its especially weird when I see that the animation company decided to respect the original artist's artistic vision with the other guy in the cartoon, and kept his round face and big, sparkly eyes. Im not saying that I like guys to look girly, im just peeved that the animation company turned their back on the original artist's ideas like that, and then only for one character.

The design for Yuichi is one thing that Toei, the people who did the earlier animated adaptation, did way better than KyoAni. He looks like something the original artist would actually draw in their version.

I have read of other times that animation companies changed the original artist's perfectly animatable design for weird reasons.
Kudryavka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-21, 17:54   Link #313
Guy Incognito
Odd Gentlemen

Quote:
Generally, yes.
Women value beauty over muscles and facial hair.

For me though, they cannot be TOO girly....or it becomes a turn-off.

Appearance-wise, they are not far from it at all. They are normal, human teens to whom strange things occur. That isn't going to affect facial hair.

I love both of these...... ._. clenched teeth smiles are awesome. It shows the character is impish and confident. Turn it into a grimace and pair it with wide eyes and that's the best "OH CRAP" face you can depict.
you just punch me in the throat with that statement. how can you value girlyness more than the pure awesomeness of a beard.

- Guy Incognito 2014
Guy Incognito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-21, 17:57   Link #314
NoemiChan
Banned

Quote:
you just punch me in the throat with that statement. how can you value girlyness more than the pure awesomeness of a beard.
Do you think Japanese high school girls likes beards?
Old 2013-01-21, 18:16   Link #315
Guy Incognito
Odd Gentlemen

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenjiChan View Post
Do you think Japanese high school girls likes beards?
i was taking in General. not just Japanese high school girls

- Guy Incognito 2014
Old 2013-01-21, 18:28   Link #316
NoemiChan
Banned

Quote:
i was taking in General. not just Japanese high school girls
Sorry, but since Anime is originally for Japanese consumers, our preference is just secondary to their's...
Old 2013-01-21, 20:48   Link #317
Ichuki
┌(^o^)┘モリ!┌(^o^)┘モリ!

Girls with long hair that cut their hair because 90% of the time they turn out uglier with their new hair.
Ichuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-21, 21:33   Link #318
Chiibi

Quote:
how can you value girlyness more than the pure awesomeness of a beard.
It may come as a shock to you but us girls don't always see the "awesomeness" in things that guys do.
I said 'beauty" not "girlyness".
I do not value "girliness" in guys at all. If a guy has a beautiful face, I can admire that but that's not the same as "girliness".

Quote:
Girls with long hair that cut their hair because 90% of the time they turn out uglier with their new hair.
THIS.
I honestly wish this terrible cliche would DIE.
More than anything else.
Old 2013-01-21, 21:55   Link #319
kitten320

Quote:
this makes me think. do women like girly men more then big manly guys?
My personal answer is no.

I love guys with beard! Well not Santa style of course
Though there are exceptions too
Old 2013-01-21, 22:16   Link #320
Guy Incognito
Odd Gentlemen

Quote:
It may come as a shock to you but us girls don't always see the "awesomeness" in things that guys do.
I said 'beauty" not "girlyness".
I do not value "girliness" in guys at all. If a guy has a beautiful face, I can admire that but that's not the same as "girliness".

THIS.
I honestly wish this terrible cliche would DIE.
More than anything else.
no shock just hoping that the greatness of beards could overcome the gender barrier

- Guy Incognito 2014

Tags
disscusion, manga cliche good bad