AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Macross > Past Macross Series

Notices

Old 2004-10-22, 23:40   Link #141
exedore
Zentradi Archivist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yebyosh
actually the entire Macross series is primarily about transformable mechas battling across time and space, with the love story as an accompanying dish. Character developments and good plots are bonuses.
Forgive the rudeness, but have you ever even seen the original Macross? Not as Robotech, but the original series? After the introductions are made, it's all about the character development, the love triangles, and the effects of the war. The fact that it had incredibly cool and well marketed robots is merely an aside. Macross 7, the true sequel, is very much the same way - it's about the rise of Fire Bomber and their interactions with the Protodeviln. It is *not* just about Basara's big red robot.

Macross Plus, on the other hand, is experimental. Yes there's a heavy focus on the pretty mechanicals, but again, it's the story of Isamu, Guld, and Myung first.

Macross II isn't even canon, so it's not worth discussiong.

I haven't seen the last episode of Zero yet, so I can't comment.
exedore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-10-23, 01:09   Link #142
Cookie

wow chap 4 is finaly out..yay
Cookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-10-23, 01:41   Link #143
ShinDragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Raiden
but it still leaves 2 dates not matching each other, plus the date I have. OH, yeah. And someone said that the video is out already and subbed in chinese complete with screenshots and yet the dvd isn't due out yet?? Uh, someone's got their wires crossed at anime corporate headquaters. -_-
The release date was Oct. 22!!
So it's out already......
http://www.cdjapan.co.jp/detailview.html?KEY=BCBA-1336

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cookie
wow chap 4 is finaly out..yay
4 came out few months ago... unless you mean ep 5.
ShinDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-10-23, 08:31   Link #144
Lord Raiden
Uber Coffee for da win!

Wow, I guess my info WAS off. Hmm, not the first time that's happened, but at least the DVD is out. But good gauds, $50 for one DVD??? o_0 I knew that R2 dvd's were expensive, but yikes, that's just scary.
Lord Raiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-10-23, 16:41   Link #145
yslee

Oh goodie, can't wait for it to be fansubbed. Ep 5 I think it's a bit longer; the back flap seems to show 45mins as runtime.
yslee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-10-23, 17:02   Link #146
Sylf
翻訳家わなびぃ
*Fansubber

Send a message via MSN to Sylf Send a message via Yahoo to Sylf
Quote:
Originally Posted by yslee
Oh goodie, can't wait for it to be fansubbed. Ep 5 I think it's a bit longer; the back flap seems to show 45mins as runtime.
Yeah, it's a bit longer.
The episode itself is 35 minutes long. There's 10 minutes of the voice acters interview on the disc.
Sylf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-10-23, 19:38   Link #147
Lord Raiden
Uber Coffee for da win!

That still doesn't eplain charging $50 for ONE dvd of ONE episode of an ova!! -_-
Old 2004-10-24, 03:06   Link #148
CalamitiesEnd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Raiden
That still doesn't eplain charging $50 for ONE dvd of ONE episode of an ova!! -_-
Its cool! It an OVA with tons of cg art! Ummm they need money and this is great way to ask for by asking you to buy overpriced dvds
CalamitiesEnd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-10-24, 07:13   Link #149
Yebyosh
冤枉的小狗

Quote:
Originally Posted by exedore
Forgive the rudeness, but have you ever even seen the original Macross? Not as Robotech, but the original series? After the introductions are made, it's all about the character development, the love triangles, and the effects of the war. The fact that it had incredibly cool and well marketed robots is merely an aside.
If you should know, I watched it ( Macross ) first dubbed in Chinese, then dubbed in another language ( Malay ) I do not even understand ( the madness of a then rabid Macross freak ) , watched it again dubbed ( Chinese again ), watched it in Robotech version twice ( English, what else... ), watched the subbed Macross version twice ( Japanese audio with Chinese subtitles ), and many more times ( episodes ) on and off, though I cannot do it now because the sole version of Macross I have has been 'misplaced' by someone I lent it to ( Looking for a replacement set, but waiting for the 'remastered' deal ). So, does that answer you in any way on what I know of Macross?

The story in Macross to me is primarily a simple war story spanning through its pre-war, triggering event, in process, victory and post-war events, in short, one which actually went through the whole stage of showing how the war happened, what went through the war, what brought the war to and end, and what happened after the war which many stories failed to do ( mostly ending at the moment of victory ). The war story was fleshed out through the eyes of many characters ( though the main focus was still with Hikaru ) and their stories. These characters' stories however would have been unworkable and irrelevant without the main war story. Simply put, try to work what they had experienced into something that is not a war story of this style and you would be hard pressed to accept their experiences.

Thus what I say is quite true. The main memory among many of those who had watched Macross in any form is still the Veritechs and their combat. Therefore it is not unreal to say that : Macross is signified by a war of mechas ( the main rememberance being Veritechs ), good stories ( characters, side plots ) fleshing out this main tale are the bonuses that pushed Macross's war story away from the other crop of mecha fighting shows.
Yebyosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-10-24, 07:36   Link #150
dreamless
/Ultimate Magic Attack!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yebyosh
The main memory among many of those who had watched Macross in any form is still the Veritechs and their combat. Therefore it is not unreal to say that : Macross is signified by a war of mechas ( the main rememberance being Veritechs ), good stories ( characters, side plots ) fleshing out this main tale are the bonuses that pushed Macross's war story away from the other crop of mecha fighting shows.
Err... I'm not sure about that, since for many Macross/Robotech fans I talked to, the main memory mostly is about the love triangle between Lynn Minmay, Hikaru (Rick in Robotech) and Risa, not mecha battles... I guess maybe for some, Macross is focused about the mecha battles, but then for many others, it's focused about the character relationships... And apparently I belong to the second group of people
dreamless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-10-24, 13:25   Link #151
Yebyosh
冤枉的小狗

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamless
Err... I'm not sure about that, since for many Macross/Robotech fans I talked to, the main memory mostly is about the love triangle between Lynn Minmay, Hikaru (Rick in Robotech) and Risa, not mecha battles... I guess maybe for some, Macross is focused about the mecha battles, but then for many others, it's focused about the character relationships... And apparently I belong to the second group of people
You can have factions of people in the Macross cult, unfortunately the cult you talk about being the majority is not likely the case. Take a look across the Macross sites and posters all around pushing Macross's publicity. What is generally the predominant feature there on their fronts? Veritechs, Zentraedi, SDF and the War. Hikaru, Minmei and Misa ( she's Lisa in Robotech ) are not the big displays but rather 'asides' i.e. secondary focuses, things you focus on once the big picture has been taken in. The general association with Macross is the Veritechs or the War.

The War and the Veritechs are the significance of Macross and as I said earlier, take them away, the story that is left is no longer Macross. This is equivalent to taking away the Gundams from any Gundam series, you cannot truly call the series a Gundam series. A Gundam series always has one of those unique ( copyrighted ) design running around somewhere ( though some people would like to call some of those 'alternate' lines a bastardy and not to be called a Gundam series ). However good or bad, a Gundam series has always revolved around those mechas' existence.

To illustrate a case when a story is focusing on relationships instead, consider Hoshi no Koe. It is a love story spanning across time and space during a war. However take away the war and put it in with the girl being forced to go to a distant galaxy by parents, circumstances or anything, you can still have their love story in some manner of effectiveness. Try putting the story of Macross without the Veritechs & SDF into another situation... well, what do you have? Not the same effectiveness anymore. Take away the love story of Macross or reduce it with less showing, you still get the Macross universe though you lose catching the audience that favours human relationships and development. Taking away the love story makes Macross much less but does not kill the universe, taking away the veritechs and the war however kills the concept of it being Macross in the first place.
Yebyosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-10-24, 15:08   Link #152
Lord Raiden
Uber Coffee for da win!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalamitiesEnd
Its cool! It an OVA with tons of cg art! Ummm they need money and this is great way to ask for by asking you to buy overpriced dvds
Tons of CG or not, that's still friggin' sticker shock. o_0
Old 2004-10-24, 20:52   Link #153
ichido reichan

I bet you were hiding out on a rock or something, R2 japanese dvds always cost the same for one ova, usually 35.00 if it's a tv series or 50.00 for a feature lenght movie.

I paid 90.00 for my kenshin seisouhen r2 when it first came out and 300 for other boxsets.

Dont blame the "overpriced" blame the freakin economy of japan where you pay 70.00 for a ps2 game or 40,00 for a 2 hour train from nagoya to tokyo.

and dont ever start with american movie, they sell the star wars boxset r2 in 95.00 us dollars.
ichido reichan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-10-25, 09:56   Link #154
CalamitiesEnd

Quote:
Originally Posted by ichido reichan
I bet you were hiding out on a rock or something, R2 japanese dvds always cost the same for one ova, usually 35.00 if it's a tv series or 50.00 for a feature lenght movie.

I paid 90.00 for my kenshin seisouhen r2 when it first came out and 300 for other boxsets.

Dont blame the "overpriced" blame the freakin economy of japan where you pay 70.00 for a ps2 game or 40,00 for a 2 hour train from nagoya to tokyo.

and dont ever start with american movie, they sell the star wars boxset r2 in 95.00 us dollars.
I can vouch for that. I went to Japan for afew weeks with 500 Us and after the first few outings I figured that I can only go out every few days because it cost so much to travel and eat. Luckly I stayed at a friends house so It wasn't that bad.
CalamitiesEnd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-10-25, 11:52   Link #155
Lord Raiden
Uber Coffee for da win!

Weird, cause when I ordered R2 stuff from Japan it never cost that much. Most I ever paid was like $22 plus shipping which I got bulk overnight pricing for. And no, they're not bootlegs. I already checked. IF they would have been they would have recieved a trip to the incinerator.

Then again, I do order my stuff from weird places. o_0

Makes me wonder how these people can sell it to me for so cheap.......hmm. Damn, now I gotta do more research to find out if they're stolen copies or something. Bother and all that rubbish. It seems like every time I think I've found a great deal it seems to backfire on me. T_T
Old 2004-10-25, 12:58   Link #156
oDin01

For what it's worth $350 this month got me 5 R2's. It ain't cheap that's for sure.
oDin01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-10-26, 05:07   Link #157
Ombrenuit
Day Dreams...

Send a message via AIM to Ombrenuit Send a message via MSN to Ombrenuit
Cool Episode 5 is released

My Chinese friend has been claiming that Macross Zero 5 is on the horizon, and that he has it on Chinese sub. It can find it on p2p clients. Curious though, it's not on Animesuki yet? EP 5 IS OUT!. (The raw supposedly came out sometime last week, according to my friend, and he has 3 different qualities of the show). Maybe it has yet to be subbed in English? (not to give off the impression of ungratefulness to whomever is subbing )

Last edited by Ombrenuit; 2004-10-26 at 05:23.
Ombrenuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-10-26, 05:14   Link #158
dreamless
/Ultimate Magic Attack!!!

it's not on animesuki because animesuki lists english fansub only.
dreamless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-10-26, 09:51   Link #159
Baba
Grouky Freak

Send a message via ICQ to Baba Send a message via MSN to Baba
and alas it's still not done in english version, but I'm sure some groups are working hard to bring us the pleasure of this last episode. So let's all wait dillgently and patiently for their release and thank them in advance for their work.
(I wish I could understand chinese though )

Bonus question, who do you think will deliver first, ANBU & AonE, A-F & AF or an improbable Onigiri, RiceBox or Infusion? (improbable as they didn't sub Ep 04....)
Baba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-10-27, 15:09   Link #160
Ombrenuit
Day Dreams...

Send a message via AIM to Ombrenuit Send a message via MSN to Ombrenuit
My money is on ANBU & AonE, they've always delivered early in my opinion.
Ombrenuit is offline   Reply With Quote