AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2006-05-27, 10:32   Link #21
Fighter Volk
Thanks sakurabatou @ LJ

Oh, wow, I totally forgot about all the FMA fans screaimng "rip-off" at Busou Renkin. I wonder whether it'll happen again this time around...? Or maybe Bleach rip-off is the foul they'll be calling, because the series are so similar in the beginning.

I, too, have always preferred Busou Renkin. Buso Renkin is wrong, anyway - the o has to have a little dash above it (thus making it equivalent to ou).
Old 2006-05-27, 14:22   Link #22
ACDragonMaster

Send a message via AIM to ACDragonMaster
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaeli
Viz' first attempt at offering an explanatory transation sort of backfired, though. Also because the translation they gave was sort of incorrect. "Armored Alchemist" reminded everyone of FMA and made people yell rip-off and "even the title is similar".
See, the problem is, "Armored Alchemist" is a misstranslation. A very bad misstranslation. "busou" means "arms" or "armaments", i.e. weapons. "renkin" isn't even the full word for "alchemy" (renkinjutsu), let alone "alchemist" (renkinjutsushi). Finally, if someone- anyone- had bothered to do even minimal research and take a look at just the first chapter, they would have seen that the context the word is used in refers to an ability/technique and the physical objects associated with it, not a person. Therefore "alchemist" is just plain dead wrong, and "armor" doesn't even cover the half of it.
Old 2006-05-27, 17:42   Link #23
kaeli

Yes, I know, that's also what I meant with 'incorrect'...
I really hope they will not continue using this title anywhere in their version of Busou Renkin. It would not make sense because like you said, anyone who's read even only the first chapter knows quite well that this is not about armoured alchemists, but about alchemic weapons.

@Fighter
I suppose there will always be people yelling rip-off.
Mostly stupid people who are not really capable of seeing beyond the surface, I guess. I mean... you know what I saw insulted as a Bleach rip-off once? Embalming.
Because the main character's haircut is sort of like Ichigo's haircut.
That was about the stupidest thing I ever heard, but the guy stood firmly by his belief that this proved that Embalming was a Bleach rip-off. X_x
Old 2006-05-27, 17:46   Link #24
ACDragonMaster

Woah, calling Embalming a Bleach rip-off? Someone has noooo idea what either story is like, apparently. Busou Renkin has way more similarities to Bleach than Embalming does. For that matter, Busou Renkin has more similarities to Bleach than it does to FMA.
Old 2006-05-27, 20:25   Link #25
Rich
AnimeSuki's Hentai-sama

Send a message via ICQ to Rich Send a message via MSN to Rich
so when is it going to be released, according to rumors ? XD
Old 2006-05-28, 02:22   Link #26
ACDragonMaster

It's supposed to be airing this fall.
Old 2006-05-28, 02:23   Link #27
Rich
AnimeSuki's Hentai-sama

Send a message via ICQ to Rich Send a message via MSN to Rich
and yet they haven't created a site....... where did you get that from anyways? ^^
Old 2006-05-28, 02:25   Link #28
ACDragonMaster

The post in the new anime announcement thread here, the news post on ANN, and a quick Japanese Google search to see what kinda things were being said/posted on Japanese sites about it.
Old 2006-05-28, 03:42   Link #29
kaeli

They haven't created a site, but they have registered one. busourenkin.com was registered earlier this month by Shueisha.
On May 9. I've no idea when they will put information on it, but it is definitely there.

The whole thing originated on 2ch, as far as I can tell.
Every other page ought to have got it from there... ANN credits ANS, but ANS doesn't mention its source. :/
In the meantime, someone posted this on 2ch, by the way.
Old 2006-05-28, 03:50   Link #30
wao
OK.

I'm a huge fan of Rurouni Kenshin so it's nice to see Watsuki's other work. But I still haven't read any of Busou Renkin besides a single chapter in a Jump I managed to covertly read in Kino ages ago... I didn't like Gun Blaze West - and I think its shortness is more because it was cancelled rather than because it was intended as a one-shot

Still, I'll definitely check out the first ep of this even if it's got a cliche premise and whatnot. I'm just not too enthusiastic about teh anime staff, the animation studio is Xebec... which isn't always good, but if they put as much $ and effort into this as Fafner then I won't be complaining. The character designer was animation director on quite a lot of Fafner eps from what I remember... but I don't remember seeing the director anywhere - ahh, what an inconvenience when ANN is down.

Nice find, anyway
Old 2006-05-28, 08:51   Link #31
ginko51

I'll maybe check it out.

Last edited by ginko51; 2012-05-03 at 18:07.
Old 2006-05-28, 19:25   Link #32
ACDragonMaster

Oooo... Japanese ad for the anime, I guess that confirms it. XD Though Papillon's hair is going to be brown...? I hope the twins have solid black hair, then...

Quote:
Originally Posted by wao
I didn't like Gun Blaze West - and I think its shortness is more because it was cancelled rather than because it was intended as a one-shot
Well, yeah, that's why it was short. But I honestly don't think it was as strong in the first place as Ruroken or Busou Renkin.
Old 2006-05-29, 02:54   Link #33
Shinji103
Crazy Devout Fanboy

Location: 1st Ra Cailum-class battleship Ra Cailum, port-side officer's bunks
Quote:
Originally Posted by ACDragonMaster
Oooo... Japanese ad for the anime, I guess that confirms it. XD Though Papillon's hair is going to be brown...? I hope the twins have solid black hair, then...
Mind posting it/posting a link/telling us where you found it?
Old 2006-05-29, 04:02   Link #34
kaeli

@Shinji103
ACDragonMaster was probably referring to my post a few entries above:
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaeli
In the meantime, someone posted this on 2ch, by the way.
http://www.busourenkin.com was updated. There are only links to the Drama CDs etc at this point, but it's definitely better than an empty page.
Old 2006-05-29, 13:36   Link #35
ACDragonMaster

*stares at the spinny butterfly mask on the loading page*

And yeah, minimal content is better than none! Though, I wonder how long a series they're planning to make? 26 episodes would seem reasonable, but on the other hand, there's a lot of stuff that happens in the second half of the manga, that'd be a lot to cram into just that...
Old 2006-05-29, 15:28   Link #36
Fighter Volk
Thanks sakurabatou @ LJ

The promo picture looks nice. I like the character designs.

As for length, I rather doubt they'd make it longer than 26 episodes. That'd probably be investing too much. The manga *did* more or less flop popularity-wise, after all...
Old 2006-05-29, 16:03   Link #37
kaeli

Well, it flopped "more or less". While it was apparantly not very popular among Jump readers, the volumes sold rather well (top ten or top five of the weekly manga charts).
Certainly, compared to Rurouni Kenshin, it's not much. But compared to Gun Blaze West, it's a fair success.
The Drama CD is actually doing quite well at the moment, too. I'm curious how the anime will fare...
Old 2006-05-29, 18:15   Link #38
Fighter Volk
Thanks sakurabatou @ LJ

Yeah, that's true. I think I remember seeing BR on the top tankoubon sales lists... it always had a cemented spot at the bottom of the magazine, though. Every week, when I picked up my copy, it'd break my heart a little...

...well, not really. It was on the bottom for a long time but at least there was always something below it, so it stuck around in the magazine for a whole nine volumes' worth of materials. I was quite happy with its length, especially compared to GBW, but the day the final chapter was announced did suck.
Old 2006-05-29, 18:22   Link #39
Riker
Peek a boo
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fighter Volk
...but the day the final chapter was announced did suck.
Tell me about it.

The last chapter in the magazine was highly unsatisfying and leaves you hanging.
But at least the story continued in the tankoubons and had a conclusive ending.
Old 2006-05-29, 19:09   Link #40
ACDragonMaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fighter Volk
The promo picture looks nice. I like the character designs.

As for length, I rather doubt they'd make it longer than 26 episodes. That'd probably be investing too much. The manga *did* more or less flop popularity-wise, after all...
Well, yes, but I'm skeptical that ten volumes of story can be covered in 26 episodes, so I wonder if they plan to actually do the whole thing, or perhaps simply cover a smaller portion of the story.
Closed Thread

Tags
action, shounen