AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series > Gundam

Notices

View Poll Results: Critique of Episode 06
10: Amazing... 3 4.62%
9 out of 10: Excellent... 4 6.15%
8 out of 10: Very Good... 11 16.92%
7 out of 10: Good... 16 24.62%
6 out of 10: Average... 14 21.54%
5 out of 10: Below Average... 7 10.77%
4 out of 10: Poor... 5 7.69%
3 out of 10: Bad... 1 1.54%
2 out of 10: Very Bad... 2 3.08%
1 out of 10: Torturous... 2 3.08%
Voters: 65. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2011-11-15, 09:08   Link #121
justavisitor

Quote:
Originally Posted by brightman View Post
And actually, I'd say AGE is like an old-school, 70's or early 80's anime, back when Japanese animation was a developing artform and creators were all as inexperienced as Mr. Yamaguchi here, and shows were full of logic gaps, strange pacing, funky direction, continuity problems, and of course, bad animation - but if you watch them for their inner qualities, you'd be able to appreciate them alot more. It'd be like First Gundam all over again.
Agree that this show is full of logic gaps, strange pacing, funky direction, continuity problems and bad animation..haven't watched ep 6, but every episode from 1 to 5 gives me an impression that "why they would do that" and "why they would not do that"...seriously they have to tell the story better

but disagree the part that this series is like 70's and 80's anime...I watched the first gundam too and it's much better than this...those shows may have some logic gaps but you would feel "involved" in that anime and appreciate the "ambitions" that the anime is trying to show..but imo I don't feel any of this in gundam age...

beside, like other have said, this is 2011 and the standard has been improved, you can't produce a show and try to convince other to watch it because it's kind of like the 70's anime show

Having said that, maybe i will watch 2 more episodes, this one and the next one where gundam gets the new equipment...being an all time gundam fan I would never want to drop a gundam series, but ....sigh
I am a Ranka fan and I have significant experience in defending various "crimes" committed by Ranka, from her evil plan to terminate human races, to feeding inapporiate food to unknown lifeforms. If you think you find "new" charges aginst Ranka and you are interested, or you care to see how a particular Ranka fan would respond, please feel free to check my previous comment. There is a good chance that I have answered a similiar issue. And of course, my viewpoints do not necessarily represent other perspectivs from numerous Ranka fans in this planet
justavisitor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-15, 10:11   Link #122
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by justavisitor View Post
but disagree the part that this series is like 70's and 80's anime...I watched the first gundam too and it's much better than this...those shows may have some logic gaps but you would feel "involved" in that anime and appreciate the "ambitions" that the anime is trying to show..but imo I don't feel any of this in gundam age...
I don't feel it either. But I don't think that's the point... your suppose to enjoy the silliness about it, to put it bluntly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by justavisitor View Post
beside, like other have said, this is 2011 and the standard has been improved, you can't produce a show and try to convince other to watch it because it's kind of like the 70's anime show
It's kind of like an old show in that it draws enjoyable slapstick comedy moment, fun characters, and most important of all there is NO sobbing, NO fanservice/moe characters, NO angsting and all the other (modern) crap (see. Guilty Crown for your weekly dose of that). The writing has been pretty close to the old ways so far. And honestly all this complaining about mistakes is just a lod of FUD. If you see failings in the writing point them out so we may all see them, don't just come and talk about how it's "obviously bad". If it's there surely you can point a finger at it.

It's not a battle between older and better, it's just a different style. It's like how things like Quake 3 and other arena like games are different from the slow/crawling 2-bullet kill modern FPSs. It's not better or worse (that's for you to decide) it's just different—you can potentially enjoy both equally. Of course many things in AGE are things that have been done before so there's no "originality" in it, but honestly I don't care. The Mazinkaiser SKL did the exact same thing of abondoing modern writing and I loved it. Tengen Toppa Guren Lagann did it too. Casshern did it too (though the story/writing was a little modern-ish). This is not a new thing, it's been done and practically every show that has done it has had great success with it. They're also become one of my most memorable shows in recent memory.

There's absolutely no problem with doing this (no evidence to support such a claim anyway), if there is a problem it's purely with the fandom. I'm not too informed on the background for the show but as I understand it they are/were trying to branch out the franchise to some other demographics so people should learn to adapt and accept.
Old 2011-11-15, 14:54   Link #123
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
Quote:
Originally Posted by felix View Post

It's kind of like an old show in that it draws enjoyable slapstick comedy moment, fun characters, and most important of all there is NO sobbing, NO fanservice/moe characters, NO angsting and all the other (modern) crap (see. Guilty Crown for your weekly dose of that). The writing has been pretty close to the old ways so far. And honestly all this complaining about mistakes is just a lod of FUD. If you see failings in the writing point them out so we may all see them, don't just come and talk about how it's "obviously bad". If it's there surely you can point a finger at it.
Yes like seriously if the show has all of these problems it should be pretty easy to point out some examples so that we can talk about them here right? Sadly though I once joked that if these show threw Emily or Milles or some female character at us in a bikini or ultra skintight pilot suit or something that people would instantly stop griping about the shows supposed complete and utter lack of cohesion and just talk about and get excited over that. I'm probably actually right though.

The writing being closer to the old ways though is precisely why I personally am really getting into this so far though. I've kind of grown a bit tired and weary of modern animes sometimes complete lack of creativity with what it presents with it's story and characters (feels like they often mine a "proven" stockpile of like maybe 10 possible character traits and episode plotlines respectively) so seeing another show this season that's not even attempting to develop along those lines and instead feels like it's own beast is pretty refreshing. I think it helps that it's an original creation and doesn't come from a light novel or something else heavily tied to and/or influenced by modern moe otaku tastes though.

Quote:
It's not a battle between older and better, it's just a different style. It's like how things like Quake 3 and other arena like games are different from the slow/crawling 2-bullet kill modern FPSs. It's not better or worse (that's for you to decide) it's just different—you can potentially enjoy both equally. Of course many things in AGE are things that have been done before so there's no "originality" in it, but honestly I don't care. The Mazinkaiser SKL did the exact same thing of abondoing modern writing and I loved it. Tengen Toppa Guren Lagann did it too. Casshern did it too (though the story/writing was a little modern-ish). This is not a new thing, it's been done and practically every show that has done it has had great success with it. They're also become one of my most memorable shows in recent memory.
Well unfortunately for some it actually probably is a constant battle of comparing it between prior favorite Gundam series and noting the differences and what the show doesn't have compared to those ones. Rather than finding something to like in what AGE offers it seems people have again like with Gundam 00 during it's initial airing dismissed the show out of hand because it's not like another Gundam in tone and/or content. It's basically a Gundam Cycle much like the infamous Sonic Cycle for lack of a better word, except instead of convincing themselves something is going to be good and then suffering the soul crushing disappointment when it turns out to be mediocre at best, people convince themselves that the latest Gundam series is going to suck, go in with that attitude and then unsurprisingly find very little to like.

Quote:
There's absolutely no problem with doing this (no evidence to support such a claim anyway), if there is a problem it's purely with the fandom. I'm not too informed on the background for the show but as I understand it they are/were trying to branch out the franchise to some other demographics so people should learn to adapt and accept.
In other places I've actually seen people claim that this episode was the worst thing they've ever seen animated (obvious troll really) and of course offer up absolutely zero evidence. Really it's all turning out EXACTLY the same as during 00 though even when it comes to some of the milder posts by the shows critics. Just constant insinuating that it's poorly written, full of these huge gaping plotholes, doesn't make any sense....the same old same old along with just being completely incapable of showing an example for whatever reason.

It's pretty damn silly, but hey if people really are thinking of dropping it does it really matter if they think this? I personally am kind of done trying to save Gundam shows for people and help them enjoy them (only if they won't make an honest effort that is) like I tried to do during 00, because of the stubborn manner in which Gundam shows seemed to get viewed being impossible to overcome anyway, but I still wouldn't mind them not doing the same tired Gundam Cycle style posts on the forums I frequent week after week if that's the case.
Kaioshin Sama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-15, 15:47   Link #124
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaioshin Sama View Post
Well unfortunately for some it actually probably is a constant battle of comparing it between prior favorite Gundam series and noting the differences and what the show doesn't have compared to those ones.
If you look at that favorite gundam series thread, AGE is pretty damn close to the "old favorites" and such art wise. With the more silly/simplistic design for the mechs and some of the features and background concepts. Stuff like 00 seem the odd balls. With the really mature protagonists and sleek designs. At least that's my impression. I may be wrong because it's hard to factor in "what was serious design at the time" into it.

I wonder if there would be a problem if the protagonist was older. After watching 00 I guess everyone has it in their heads protagonists in gundams are non-kids when actually pretty much all of them in every other series were. It's just that from age 13 to 14 they grow like 1 meter in height; or at least that's the impression. God damn it AGE you drew Flint and Emily too accuratly. D:<

BTW, I know it's 50 episodes and 3 generations but how are they structured? 1 cour, 2 cour, 1 cour?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaioshin Sama View Post
Really it's all turning out EXACTLY the same as during 00
I think 00 kind of helps (in my case). I mean logically I feel I should have a problem with the whole AGE system of creating stuff, but honestly I don't; the nagging feeling it's wrong just isn't there. I know there's this technology gap so we don't really have any even remotly close thing to compare the gundam and AGE system to, hence for all we know they are stupidly advanced compared to everything in the world... BUT still. I think my acceptance of it is very largely due to 00. Now nobody get the wrong idea I love 00, I like these modernesky mecha shows. But, the way it starts out is just, words can't describe. I mean, how should I put this, the protagonist, who's a (former) terrorist, is flying a Gundam powerd by fairy dust, eradicating war, because when he was a kid he was saved by a magical fairy Gundam!? WTF beats that.

I don't care if they were explained as solar fairy dust, it's god damn magical poweder powered gundams. They might as well have been my little pony gundams and explained it as aeronothical design. Of course the series slowly but surely drives all this nonsense into your head as okey, with it's plot and characters, but still, how can people expect shit like that to just pop out of the ground in every gundam series. I could get completely high and couldn't come up with a premise like that.
Old 2011-11-15, 16:51   Link #125
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Quote:
If you look at that favorite gundam series thread, AGE is pretty damn close to the "old favorites" and such art wise. With the more silly/simplistic design for the mechs and some of the features and background concepts. Stuff like 00 seem the odd balls. With the really mature protagonists and sleek designs. At least that's my impression. I may be wrong because it's hard to factor in "what was serious design at the time" into it.

I wonder if there would be a problem if the protagonist was older. After watching 00 I guess everyone has it in their heads protagonists in gundams are non-kids when actually pretty much all of them in every other series were. It's just that from age 13 to 14 they grow like 1 meter in height; or at least that's the impression. God damn it AGE you drew Flint and Emily too accuratly. D:<
Yeah the thought often occured to me that a lot of people just don't have that experience with prior Gundam series so they think that AGE is a betrayal of what was built upon in Seed and 00 (the two TV series that most people seem to have actually seen) or what Gundam "stands for" when in reality it's actually pretty close to the U.C Gundam series, albeit lighter in tone like a ZZ Gundam or the early parts of Gundam 0080: War in The Pocket, both of which featured kids that were 14 or younger.

Quote:
BTW, I know it's 50 episodes and 3 generations but how are they structured? 1 cour, 2 cour, 1 cour

I think 00 kind of helps (in my case). I mean logically I feel I should have a problem with the whole AGE system of creating stuff, but honestly I don't; the nagging feeling it's wrong just isn't there. I know there's this technology gap so we don't really have any even remotly close thing to compare the gundam and AGE system to, hence for all we know they are stupidly advanced compared to everything in the world... BUT still. I think my acceptance of it is very largely due to 00. Now nobody get the wrong idea I love 00, I like these modernesky mecha shows. But, the way it starts out is just, words can't describe. I mean, how should I put this, the protagonist, who's a (former) terrorist, is flying a Gundam powerd by fairy dust, eradicating war, because when he was a kid he was saved by a magical fairy Gundam!? WTF beats that.
Well in 00's case that initial story was gradually built upon and fleshed out (with a legendary amount of griping from the fanbase along the way mind you...possibly to the point where they weren't even aware of the plot anymore) as the show went on. Personally I don't think it really started getting good until the counterattacks by the Earth powers started and the Meisters started to bond and find out about each others past instead of calling each other unworthy.

I kind of expect the same from this show. If I had to guess where it's going, the crew of the Diva is going to end up forging a bond and thinking they've beaten the UE only to have them pop up again during Asemu's generation and Flit if he's still around will act as a mentor to Asemu and he'll be the one to carry the fight on. Like I can see the show going so many interesting places once the multi-generational thing kicks in and we're out of world-building, which is why I don't understand the sheer overwhelming dismissal that this show is getting before it's even had a chance to really get started. I don't think any Gundam series has been exceptional before at least the 10 episode mark (not even my favorites like Zeta) which I like to describe as the world-building phase. Like again take 00, almost nothing was really happening for the first 10 episodes except introducing the cast and the scenario for the viewer. This is really not an abnormal thing, but there's still plenty to be interested even in these early phases of a Gundam show I would argue.

Quote:
I don't care if they were explained as solar fairy dust, it's god damn magical poweder powered gundams. They might as well have been my little pony gundams and explained it as aeronothical design. Of course the series slowly but surely drives all this nonsense into your head as okey, with it's plot and characters, but still, how can people expect shit like that to just pop out of the ground in every gundam series. I could get completely high and couldn't come up with a premise like that.
Meh...see this is the sort of thing I've warned against and what the really aggressive haters and 4chan types seem to want to start up. For us to try to justify one Gundam show by outright putting down another....that's exactly what causes the Gundam cycle or is at the very least a major contributing factor IMO. I'm personally not buying into that game right now so I really have nothing else to say to this part of your post.
Old 2011-11-15, 17:32   Link #126
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

Quote:
For us to try to justify one Gundam show by outright putting down another....
LOL, I'm putting 00 down? Why? Just because it's crazy as hell doesn't mean it's not fun to watch. It's even fun to write it dammit, it's fun just imagining it with out even remembering the actual scene. God what's wrong with the world. Obviously you've been posting in too many "oh this is not realistic" arguments.

Initially my post there had several smilies in it but I always prune them out when I see 3-5+ of them in one paragraph, lol.
Old 2011-11-15, 18:01   Link #127
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Quote:
LOL, I'm putting 00 down? Why? Just because it's crazy as hell doesn't mean it's not fun to watch. It's even fun to write it dammit, it's fun just imagining it with out even remembering the actual scene. God what's wrong with the world. Obviously you've been posting in too many "oh this is not realistic" arguments.

Initially my post there had several smilies in it but I always prune them out when I see 3-5+ of them in one paragraph, lol.
You have no idea my friend. After my experience blogging Gundam 00 it's basically become the equivalent of a veterans combat reflex. Like, "Oh here we go x, y and z have been said, initiate defensive program B Ver. Gundam 00" and then all systems start rewiring towards what I need to say and do to manage the explosion of ridiculously negative commentary and general rage that was coming. Usually conversations during my blogging experience were so utterly predictable that it would work too and I'd be right on the money as to the persons intent, where they were going with it, and how many goons they'd bring along to support them while pretending to be anonymous that I'd have to prepare for.

Lately I've been off the mark though and the situation with Gundam AGE seems like it's similar yet different in oh so many ways. The intent with Gundam 00 was quite singular in nature by comparison. Watch episode, find particulars to nitpick, attempt to prove how particular meant that Gundam 00 was the worst show ever constructed by mankind using incredibly slipshod reasoning, accuse anybody of finding anything to like in it of being a fanboy that just can't see what's inherently wrong with the show, rinse & repeat with each episode. With Gundam AGE I'm almost tempted to believe that most people just genuinely aren't sure of the nature of what they are watching though and/or just can't get into it for personal reasons as opposed to memetic community based ones. Same story, different way of getting there basically. All I know for sure is that the main thing that has changed is that I'm not blogging AGE (thus not having to deal at all with the blogospheres incredibly shitty one-note community that just wants to bash certain shows for the hell of it) and Gundam AGE is getting far less attention than Gundam 00 ever did from the internet community anyway.

Tags
weekly episode discussion