AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Support > Tech Support

Notices

Old 2009-10-24, 05:17   Link #441
npal
I desire Tomorrow!

It worked normally here. I assume your friend HAS Windows 7?
Old 2009-10-24, 05:44   Link #442
Ledgem
Love Yourself

Quote:
Originally Posted by npal View Post
Cleaning their own mess should be the obvious step. Seeing as there ARE programs that can clean after themselves, I don't see how that's not the developer's fault.
This is why trying to place blame is pointless. The big point is that Microsoft could have very easily prevented the whole thing.

Think of it this way: if you don't want someone trespassing down a certain road, there are a few things you can do: 1) you can hope nobody will randomly go down the road; 2) you can put up a sign stating "keep out"; 3) you can put up a locked gate. Yet if someone didn't see the sign or perhaps they couldn't read/understand it, is it still their fault for transgressing? (In this case it seems like Microsoft chose option #1 or perhaps #2.)

As to why developers don't "clean up after themselves" I'd guess that it has to do with one of the tenets of good programming: never break anything on the user's system. How do you know that the user didn't install another program that makes use of something from your program? That's also partly the reason why .dll's are commonly left behind when a program is uninstalled - leaving them there won't harm anything (it's unlikely to for the average user, anyway) but removing them might break something else on the user's system.
Old 2009-10-24, 08:08   Link #443
chikorita157
ひきこもりアイドル
*IT Support

I used to do programing on Windows using Visual Basic .net and yes, the registry is a big pain although there are APIs to add or write settings to the registry, they aren't usually deleted even after you uninstall a program unless you specify the uninstaller to delete those entries, but they are usually missed. Microsoft with Visual Studio 2005 added the ability to save to XML-like setting files easily (they were a bit difficult to do in the earlier versions) opposed to using the registry which is good since you don't need to depend so much on the registry, but most still use the registry.

I don't see why Windows can't have a program that automatically gets rid all the registry entries for that program. On Mac OS X, there is a program called Appzapper and Appcleaner which gets rid all the Application Support files (if any), Preferences files and the program with a drag of the program icon. The problem is the registry is a lot more complicated and it's not the programmer's fault and one edit can break the whole system while deleting flat setting files don't in contrast.
Old 2009-10-24, 11:08   Link #444
pigoz
YUKI.N>

Send a message via MSN to pigoz
Lack of hw acceleration of video decoding in Mac OS X makes me want to switch to Windows or Linux
pigoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-24, 13:58   Link #445
Ending

I have been thinking of updating to Win7, but only because it's 64-bit and removes the 4Gb limit on RAM. Currently the games seem to be defaulting to 1Gb and it has to be only a few years before they move on to 2Gb, so buying a new computer now with WinXP and 4Gb RAM is going to be the last of it.

So that's probably what I do: buy a new rig now with 4 gigs of RAM and update from WinXP somewhere between 2014 and 2016. By that time most of the kinks should have been cracked and fixed.
Ending is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-24, 14:12   Link #446
npal
I desire Tomorrow!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pigoz View Post
Lack of hw acceleration of video decoding in Mac OS X makes me want to switch to Windows or Linux
Why not have both? I generally try Linux distros from time to time, I don't have free disks available now and seeing as Windows 7 fulfills almost every need I currently have, I don't miss my linux distros that much, but they're nice to have and play around.

But then, Windows is not free so getting a nice Linux distro is the cheapest scenario, plus it does most of the work adequately (although I still prefer MSOffice to OO by far), if only hardware companies would support it as much as Windows.
Old 2009-10-24, 15:49   Link #447
pigoz
YUKI.N>

Quote:
Why not have both? I generally try Linux distros from time to time, I don't have free disks available now and seeing as Windows 7 fulfills almost every need I currently have, I don't miss my linux distros that much, but they're nice to have and play around.
I prefer Linux for having the bash, it is a bit plus for me. Windows 7 looks very good and shiny... well I guess KDE4 is getting there too.
Old 2009-10-24, 17:04   Link #448
Epyon9283
Geek

Send a message via ICQ to Epyon9283 Send a message via AIM to Epyon9283
Quote:
Originally Posted by pigoz View Post
There is hardware acceleration for h264 decoding if you use quicktime on any Mac with a nvidia 9400 chip.
Epyon9283 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-24, 18:12   Link #449
Ledgem
Love Yourself

Quote:
Originally Posted by Epyon9283 View Post
There is hardware acceleration for h264 decoding if you use quicktime on any Mac with a nvidia 9400 chip.
From what I've read it's currently limited only to certain h.264 profiles though, so it's possible to run a h.264-encoded video and not receive the benefits of hardware-accelerated playback.
Old 2009-10-24, 18:42   Link #450
chikorita157
ひきこもりアイドル
*IT Support

Also, it won't benefit if you have Perian installed, which overrides the H264 decoder... but I'm hoping that someday there will be a H264 decoder which uses OpenCL to have the GPU decode H264... It's not any difference from CUDA decoding H264 with the GPU... but it's limited on how the file is encoded.
Old 2009-10-24, 23:36   Link #451
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Quote:
It worked normally here. I assume your friend HAS Windows 7?
Yes. But he says the only sound he hears is "ching!". I guess that is normal?

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
SaintessHeart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-25, 03:25   Link #452
pigoz
YUKI.N>

Quote:
Originally Posted by Epyon9283 View Post
It is not open, I will not watch video with Quicktime because at the moment it is utter crap. Not to mention that only having support for 9400 is a joke: Windows supports every capable video card through DXVA, Linux is getting there with VA-API that only misses the XvBA backend.

Apple promised a full re-engineering of the player, but in the reality the current state of QTX is really lacking, starting from the lack of a new API and architecture for QT components.

The times when Mac OS X was THE media platform are long gone.
Old 2009-10-25, 07:06   Link #453
npal
I desire Tomorrow!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintessHeart View Post
Yes. But he says the only sound he hears is "ching!". I guess that is normal?
Not normal at all. When he ran the themefile, did he hear "Konnichiwa! Nanami desu!"?

Just in case, assuming he has the theme loaded, right-click the desktop, go to personalize, then 1) check that Sounds (bottom and a bit to the left) display the Theme name and 2) get inside Sounds and check that the sounds are in place. If some sounds are messed up, you could try browsing for them on the pc (not sure if that'll work if you haven't saved the soundset on your own). If there's no Nanami theme sound there, maybe the downloaded theme file was bad or something?
Old 2009-10-26, 11:25   Link #454
LoweGear
Secret Society BLANKET
*Graphic Designer

Guess who Japan invited for the Windows 7 launch event:

Seven! Seven! Seven! Seven!~

Against all the evil that hell can conjure, all wickedness that mankind can produce... We will send unto them, only you.
LoweGear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-26, 15:19   Link #455
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoweGear View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by article author
I swear, Japan is just fucking with us at this point. [YouTube]
Quote:
Originally Posted by comment
Why are the fucking with us are we dressed in school girl unif...*looks down* Oh my god!
o.O I don't know what's wierder: the guy trying to use the touch screen with his fingernails, the mascot things or this guys comment. Though it is amusing.
Old 2009-10-26, 16:03   Link #456
chikorita157
ひきこもりアイドル
*IT Support

Looks like Windows 7 upgrade is not so smooth after all. There are reports of people not being able to extract the Windows 7 Upgrade from the Student upgrade offer and also upgrade not successful, ending the computer in a endless loop.

Quote:
Windows 7 Upgrade Woes Mount: Endless Reboots and Product Key Problems
Jacqueline Emigh
Oct 26, 2009 1:42 pm
Call it the legacy of Microsoft's Vista operating system. PC users upgrading from Windows Vista to Windows 7 have run into a variety of hair pulling problems since last Thursday when Windows 7 launched. Complaints range from endless reboots to refusals by Windows to accept Microsoft's assigned product keys.

As of Monday morning, Microsoft had answered about 2600 questions that poured into support forum regarding upgrades. At last count, around 1400 questions remained unanswered.

Unable to Unpack

On Microsoft's support forum, users are complaining of receiving "unspecified errors" when unpacking Windows 7 Home Premium from the student download, and about getting the error message "We are unable to create or save new files in the folder in which this application was downloaded."

The problem was traced back to the third-party software distributor who was offering the upgrade download for Windows 7. It has to do with the way the files were downloaded to users' PCs. Microsoft has acknowledged the problem and suggests this work-around.

Endless Reboots
Users began to complain about endless reboots on Friday, posting messages to the Microsoft support forums stating that the Windows 7 upgrade would hang two-thirds of the way through the upgrade. Microsoft says it is investigating user problems regarding "endless reboots," but downplayed them as "isolated issues," according to reports.

Here is a sample complaint from the forums:

"On the last step of the upgrade (transferring files/programs/etc.), my laptop rebooted and came to a screen telling me the upgrade was unsuccessful and my previous [Vista] OS files would now be restored. My laptop is now in what seems to be a loop of restarting and trying to restore the files," wrote one user, JSchneider21.

Did Microsoft know about the reboot problems? In July Microsoft posted a document on its Web site outlining the problem and suggesting steps that users can take to address it.

Product Key Problems
Other angry users are saying that Windows won't accept product keys supplied with Windows 7 upgrade disks. "The product key is not valid. Please retype the product key," Windows 7 tells them.

Meanwhile, many users seem quite dissatisfied with Microsoft's responses to other Win 7 upgrade issues. As of this morning, Microsoft support reps were still replying to users' questions about product keys with a canned response citing "several reasons why a product key might not be accepted."

Essentially, either, "You mistyped it. The product key you typed doesn't match the key assigned to Windows on your computer. Microsoft has identified the product key you entered as counterfeit," or "the product key has already been used on another computer," according to Microsoft.

One person griped: "I Have been on the phone since 4 pm EST and I still don't have a valid product code. Thank you Microsoft! Thank you for wasting my valuable time! Time is money and this had been a flagrant waste of it," wrote thatguy38.

Users helping out other users on the Microsoft support forums are suggesting a common mistake is leading to upgrade product key problems. Forum users suggest product key rejections stem from users mistakenly wiping their system clean and trying to use an upgrade Windows 7 disk for a full installation. It is unclear whether this is indeed the source to user aggravation.

Users have been posting their own, rather convoluted workarounds to the product key conundrum on the Microsoft forum. But wouldn't it be great if Microsoft would give them a simpler answer?
Source: PCWorld

Would have thought Microsoft would fix these problems before they release... but in reality, no...
Old 2009-10-26, 20:32   Link #457
synaesthetic
blinded by blood
*Author

Send a message via AIM to synaesthetic
This is why one generally waits until the first Service Pack to install a Microsoft OS. ^^;
Old 2009-10-26, 22:23   Link #458
Rungelunge

Quote:
Originally Posted by chikorita157 View Post
Looks like Windows 7 upgrade is not so smooth after all. There are reports of people not being able to extract the Windows 7 Upgrade from the Student upgrade offer and also upgrade not successful, ending the computer in a endless loop.

Source: PCWorld

Would have thought Microsoft would fix these problems before they release... but in reality, no...
it seems you are enjoying all this FUD but please don't be a mac faggot. That problem has nothing to do with Windows 7. What happens is that people are using the 64 bits install inside a 32 bits windows.

Also your 'review' of a bootcamp windows 7 install was so funny. Should I benchmark the great SnowLeopard in my PC also? I think it would be like 10 times slower than Windows 7, well that's if I can get to install, of course.
Rungelunge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-26, 23:23   Link #459
synaesthetic
blinded by blood
*Author

Send a message via AIM to synaesthetic
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rungelunge View Post
it seems you are enjoying all this FUD but please don't be a mac faggot. That problem has nothing to do with Windows 7. What happens is that people are using the 64 bits install inside a 32 bits windows.

Also your 'review' of a bootcamp windows 7 install was so funny. Should I benchmark the great SnowLeopard in my PC also? I think it would be like 10 times slower than Windows 7, well that's if I can get to install, of course.
You do know that Macs and PCs are pretty much the same kind of computer now, right? The only real difference is the OS.
Old 2009-10-26, 23:35   Link #460
aeriolewinters
Photomancy Experiments

Quote:
You do know that Macs and PCs are pretty much the same kind of computer now, right? The only real difference is the OS.
aeriolewinters is offline   Reply With Quote