Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Support > Forum & Site Feedback

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2010-12-07, 03:32   Link #81
Jinto
Asuki-tan Kairin ↓

Quote:
Originally Posted by felix View Post
And on which basis do you claim that as constant? Are we to determine the majority now, and generalize for all time? Given the rise of wireless networks, smart phones and similar devices, it's not unlikely for the rate of stragglers to increase, as we eat into our frail infrastructure. Though, that doesn't necessarily mean it will.

You'll need to come up with a better test then just grabbing one sample.
I did not make any remarks on how the sampling should be done (one shot or continuous). But thats beside the point. My request for such data was unanswered, which makes me believe that there is no such data (or any plans to collect them). Basically confirmed by relentlessflame:

Quote:
And yeah, purely personally, due to circumstances I only have a 1.5 Mbps DSL right now, which isn't horrible but isn't great. I appreciate the moves to keep the bandwidth minimal because it makes my page loads snappier.
pretty much reveals a superficial approach on that matter. Given, that I don't care about banner, avatar and signature sizes directly,
I will tune out of the thread (and sorry for the offtopicness).

edit: ah the overhastiness
Old 2010-12-07, 03:38   Link #82
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jinto View Post
My request for such data was unanswered, which makes me believe that there is no such data (or any plans to collect them). Basically confirmed by relentlessflame: [...] pretty much reveals a superficial approach on that matter.
Uhh... well, I did say "purely personally" because it is, in fact, purely personal. I was really only speaking for myself on that point, and not on behalf of the staff or anyone else. I appreciate the snappiness, but I have no idea about the statistics. Perhaps someone else on the staff does; I don't know and I wasn't trying to rule that out.
Old 2010-12-07, 06:47   Link #83
Dist

Send a message via MSN to Dist
Well I personally don't mind the pixel sizes, they're good and I don't like massive signatures either. It's just when it comes to having something animated, as a signature it's nearly impossible to have one with decent quality unless the signature is very small in size or has like 2 or 3 frames. For Avvies I don't think necessarily a longer animations are good but the quality once again ... Trying to squeeze all those GIF's into 50kB or less gets really tiring and requires rather lots of work if they have lots of frames .. If the limit was raised just by 25kB, it would be plenty enough, for avatars anyway.

.. yeah I know this doesn't belong here. Create new thread if you want and move posts there.
Old 2010-12-07, 07:14   Link #84
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

GHD said at one point he wouldn't mind raising the limits to 100kb, but there never was mention afterwards; I assume the idea was scrapped but who knows.

If the limits are raised, can we please get rid of the 50,000 byte nonsense in favor of simply the highest interpretation of 50kb? (ie. 50kiB)
Old 2010-12-07, 14:02   Link #85
Miles Teg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dist View Post
I think you completely missed the point of this topic.. It's not just about what we can see, it's also as the OP said .. When a new guy arrives in the forum, he probably will think the forum is outdated if the banner themes are from anime back from 2008 or so.
I haven't missed the point of the topic, it's not the solution but I have given a solution that can be used right now (and that I am using). That don't stop you to continue to ask for new banner, and all the new banner can be put in this script and tested on your everyday browsing.
Old 2010-12-07, 18:20   Link #86
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miles Teg View Post
I haven't missed the point of the topic, it's not the solution but I have given a solution that can be used right now (and that I am using). That don't stop you to continue to ask for new banner, and all the new banner can be put in this script and tested on your everyday browsing.
Agree, but post your script here: http://userscripts.org/ or on a similar site.
Old 2010-12-10, 04:40   Link #87
Aurelie
THE BRITISH ARE COMING!!!
*Graphic Designer

I don't mind the current rotation to be honest, I wouldn't mind getting rid of my own, but the rest of them still look good. At the same time, it would be nice to have a new rotation for the new year.

I know some people suggested doing away with the contest and just having people submit banners, but for what it's worth, I don't think that's a good idea, I have a feeling you'll receive a lot of lacklustre entries that you'll have to accept/use just because they fit the theme, with a contest at least you'll know you're getting something that's had a lot of care and attention put into it. Plus, I like to think having your banner displayed is something you have to earn.
Old 2011-09-14, 13:58   Link #88
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Ok, well... I started this thread over a year ago, and I still don't see any new banners added since then.

The issues I noted a year ago have only exacerbated since then, as all the anime shows featured in the banners of this forum site are a year older now than they were a year ago.

We've had Madoka Magica, Anohana, Steins;Gate, Tiger and Bunny, and countless other very well-received 2011 anime. Many anime fans consider this to be a banner year for anime (no pun intended ).

I really think its time we saw some fresh banners here.

If it takes this long (literally over a year) to get a proper banner contest off the ground and going, then it seems to me that the only viable alternative to never changing the banners at all is to allow would-be banner artists to make voluntary submissions to the AS moderating staff, and for the moderating staff to decide which ones to test out by adding them into the banner rotation.

I hope that we would all agree that at some point these banners really ought to be updated with fresh anime content. I mean, at some point, new anime fans coming to this site will look at the banners above and not recognize a single anime there (aside from Code Geass perhaps).

Last edited by Triple_R; 2011-09-14 at 15:20.
Old 2011-09-14, 21:07   Link #89
DragoZERO
Spoilaphobic

We should just make it simple: everyone get's one submission and the staff chooses their favorites.
Old 2011-09-14, 22:16   Link #90
Kudryavka

As I was before, I'm all for this. Banners need to be updated, and those of us who weren't part of the forums back when these banners were chosen should get a chance to design imo.
Old 2011-09-15, 08:29   Link #91
Solace
(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻

Discussion has been moved here.
Closed Thread

Tags
banners