AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2011-12-26, 12:29   Link #1
Flower
Blooming on the mountain

Location: Deep in their roots, all flowers keep the light....
Gdgd Fairies

Somehow this show seemed to slip under the radar during the Fall 2011 season.

Here is a summary link on the show: http://anidb.net/perl-bin/animedb.pl...anime&aid=8661

CR has been airing it as well, so it can be watched for free (although with commercials in between ... grrr).

Anyhoo ... just recently some fansubbing groups have been releasing their own eps of this. I have watched the first five (of 13) eps and it is exceedingly funny, but funny in the sense of zany and crazy like Nichijou at it's height.

The animation style (it is entirely computerized animation) may put some people off - but I have found it enjoyable on the whole.

I wonder if anyone else out there has been watching (or has even heard) of this series?
Old 2011-12-26, 12:37   Link #2
MisaoFan
Autistic NEET bath lover

I watched the first two episodes last month, and it sounds pretty good ! The first episode has Dragon Ball reference in it.
Have your social attention be noticed in a genuinely positive light.
MyAnimeList
MisaoFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-26, 12:52   Link #3
Flower
Blooming on the mountain

For those who can read it, here is the official site: http://gdgdfairy.com/

It also has a wiki page: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gdgd_Fairies

Essentially there are three characters in this strange little series.... Here is a quote from the wiki page:

Quote:
pkpk (ピクピク Pikupiku? Voiced by: Suzuko Mimori
An innocent pink haired fairy who is often intimidated by others.
shrshr (シルシル Shirushiru) Voiced by: Kaoru Mizuhara
A high spirited blonde fairy who is known for being a little lazy.
krkr (コロコロ Korokoro) Voiced by: Satomi Akesaka
An emotionless purple haired fairy who emits poisonous fumes and has a grim outlook on life.
Kaoru Mizuhara is best known to me from her work as Erika from Princess Lover! and Satomi Alesaka as Futaba Marui from the Mitsudonoe series....
Old 2012-01-01, 01:55   Link #4
Flower
Blooming on the mountain

This series is now subbed in its entirety.
Old 2012-01-02, 06:05   Link #5
Pocari_Sweat
<em style="color:#808080;">Disabled By Request</em>

Send a message via AIM to Pocari_Sweat Send a message via MSN to Pocari_Sweat
Forgive me, but the title "gdgd Faerieis" makes me think that the acronym for the series is "goddamn goddamn Faeries" .

Back on topic, what is this exactly? I never saw this series on chartfag, cartdriver etc.
Pocari_Sweat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-02, 06:18   Link #6
Flower
Blooming on the mountain

It is ... well ... strange.

The series comprised 12 15-16 minute eps of completely computer generated graphics. Essentially these three female chibi magic-wielding fairies (complete with little wings) sorta "shoot the breeze" and do things together in some sort of alternate dimension. They periodically go to a little pool near their home tree and look in on short "clips" of alternate dimensions too.

I wish I could describe it better ... but the humor is completely off-the-wall of impossible to predict at times. I guess it reminds me a little of when Robin Williams voiced the genie in the old Aladdin Disney movie. (Williams' voice was perfect, because of the genie's magic abilities you literally had no idea what was going to happen from one minute to the next.)

Gdgd Fairies has the same element of having no idea what is coming next because of the magic abilities the fairies possess combined with that Japanese surrealness and in their comedy.

Hmm ... it really best speaks for itself in some ways. If you can survive through 1 or 2 of the eps I am positive you will get what I am failing so badly at trying to describe here.

Now I happen to like this kind of humor when it is not too, too offensive in "crossing the line", and for me Gdgd Fairies stays within boundaries. But I can't guess what other people's reactions might be. Really ... the wildest parts of bizarre humor from Nichijou is the only recent comparison I can think of ... hmm ... or maybe Dororon Enma-kun Meramera a teensy bit?
Old 2013-01-08, 18:29   Link #7
Nerroth
NePoi!

I've been slowly making my way through season 1; I'm near the end of episode 5.

It's a very different format to what I might have expected, but it has its moments.

(I was surprised at some of of the out-of-character dialogue in the third act of each episode, like when krkr's voice actress mentioned that ahe had once been in a Transformers show. In case you're wondering, she voiced Sari Sumdac in the Japanese dub of TF: Animated.)

Oh, and since season 2 is starting on Crunchyroll tomorrow, this thread might be worth moving back to the current series board.

Old 2013-01-09, 15:47   Link #8
Nerroth
NePoi!

Episode 1 of season 2 went up today.

Looks like they've shuffled the format around a little; alongside the image-with-no-sound bit, they now have a sound-with-no-image segment to go with.

Also, there are now two of those cat-things in the transitions instead of just the one.

Also, the Op is the same as in season 1, but the ED seems new. (But then, I haven't finished season 1 yet, so I don't know if it was in one of the later episodes already.)
Old 2013-01-10, 03:57   Link #9
Ceral
はりゃほれうまうーっ!

This show is hilarious! It's like Lucky Star with the roundtable in the classroom and then insanity. Love the VA cast especially with Misao, I've always wanted to hear more Misao's VA, her voice is perfect for jokes! Watched the first eps of the 2nd season and going to marathon the first now. I'm surprised this show didn't get more attention, because it's hilarious and imo that's enough for a show to succeed!

Edit: Oh man watched up to eps 3, and I haven't laughed this hard forever! I can't believe this show hasn't gotten more attention. It might not be similar to anime, but it's too funny to ignore!

Last edited by Ceral; 2013-01-10 at 06:59.
Ceral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-10, 18:58   Link #10
ujiuji

I guess there are two reasons this doesn't get more attention. Firstly the humour doesn't appeal to many in the Western fandom (the Japanese obviously liked it enough to make a second series worthwhile) and secondly the CGI, which a lot of people seem to hate. Actually much of the humour derives from the deliberately ugly CGI. When shrshr created her version of the arcade machine with the muscle guys I had to pause the video I was laughing so much. On the other hand earlier this week I sat stony-faced through Cuticle Detective Inaba, so yeah, people's sense of humour varies. It doesn't really matter if it's not massively popular as long as you enjoy it.
ujiuji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-10, 19:00   Link #11
Midonin
Last Engage

I tried out the first episode of the first season, and found that the sense of humor does match the sort of things I like. (Joshiraku, etc.) It was the CGI animation that made me hesitant to try it out. 2D is beautiful, but 3D's still being perfected on TV. But I watched the S2 promo and listened to the theme song, and it got stuck in my head and then one thing led to another...

Last edited by Midonin; 2013-01-10 at 22:07.
Midonin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-10, 19:02   Link #12
Flower
Blooming on the mountain

Yeah - the humor is bizarre and surreal ... and the cgi is a turn off, but if you can ignore the latter the former really shines through imo! ^_^
Old 2013-01-11, 00:26   Link #13
Midonin
Last Engage

It's almost reminding me of those NMA News videos. I wouldn't be surprised if it was made with the same animation engine. That two of the VAs are Arsene and Sherlock from Milky Holmes only makes it better. I've had my expectations thrown in all directions today, and discovering gdgd was probably one of the highlights.

Last edited by Midonin; 2013-01-20 at 00:39. Reason: NMA and TMA are totally different things.
Old 2013-01-11, 10:11   Link #14
Shyni

I've only seen a few episodes, but the talk sections are pretty amusing somehow, and the bizarreness is quite fun.
Shyni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-13, 21:59   Link #15
Sol Falling

Just finished marathoning season 1. Great series, seriously. The reason that the third section with the skits sometimes seem meta is because they're improvised, like the kind of stuff that's done on seiyuu radio talkshows. As a matter of fact, gdgd Fairies as a whole seems to resemble heavily that particular format, with its themed corners and conversational focus, allowing the seiyuu to play around and show off their skills.

I'd say that over in Japan, a great deal of the popularity of these kinds of series comes from familiarity with the seiyuu personalities. For my part, a great deal of my interest/enjoyment has been amplified by the knowledge of Mimorin and Satomi Akesaka as Sheryl/Henrietta's VAs.
Sol Falling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-13, 22:07   Link #16
Midonin
Last Engage

I had begun to suspect it was improvised when krkr was giving off lines like "It's tough recording this at 10 in the morning." And then it dawned on me why it was CGI animated. Slightly easier to adjust to random line readings than traditional animation. I'm still working my way through season one, but... I think I've found a new favorite show.
Old 2013-01-16, 20:33   Link #17
Midonin
Last Engage

Scrolling through tumblr reveals the gdgd fandom is bigger than I thought. Also, I just finished the first season. I was not expecting that Madoka reference in episode 11, and the way the character of Fusako has evolved from an adlibbed joke to a recurring character with a bit of her own fandom is kind of surprising. I've come to really enjoy this show, and will begin watching the first (and currently, only) episodes of season two soon.
Old 2013-01-23, 17:22   Link #18
Nerroth
NePoi!

I finished the first season, and have seen the first two eps of season 2.

It looks like the CG models they are using for the season 2 end credits are different to the ones from season 1. Or, it could be that the faces of the dancing silhouettes in S1 were always supposed to look the way they are now shown in the S2 EDs.
Old 2013-01-23, 17:26   Link #19
Midonin
Last Engage

Episode two was so awesome for me. Anything drawing on toku inspiration usually is. I also love the remix of the first OP they're using, though S2E3 looks to have switched over to a completely different, even more reanimated opening. And the "adult" models of the fairies are finally fully illuminated. They actually look pretty good.
Old 2013-02-03, 18:36   Link #20
ujiuji

Episode 4

Shrshr actually managed to troll krkr in this episode; hard. Respect! They went though with the Madoka Magica references from last week's trailer which was funny. (I haven't seen that series but it's pretty hard not to know all about it). Soul Jam is the new Cola of Cthulhu (see Nyaruko). The new ED designs for the fairies are pleasant enough but I did like how they danced silhouetted against the sunset in the first series.
ujiuji is offline   Reply With Quote