AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

Old 2008-01-17, 03:34   Link #501
mandarb916

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
I've seen game shows, news, sport.. but I can't remember seeing a travel show.
Travel shows are quite frequently broadcast (not sure about popularity). They can range from going from ryokan to ryokan, onsen to onsen, visiting just one specific area, etc. I don't know how you're not seeing any of these shows...

I stream via locationfreeTV from Japan and see atleast one or 2 travel shows(or segments) a day when it's streaming as ambience...
mandarb916 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-17, 18:22   Link #502
dahl_moon
Apathy moe~
*Scanlator

Every time I take an international flight to Seoul I usually stop in Tokyo, and I remember seeing travel shows quite frequently in flight (usually take United). Hot springs with a connected ryokan was by far the most broadcast theme. I guess the airline thinks people miss onsen the most.
Old 2008-01-17, 19:26   Link #503
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Well, I was actually wondering about Japanese travel shows about European or American destinations.. not japanese travel shows about Japan O.o.
Rick Steves focuses on Europeran destinations for American travelers.
Globe Trekker focuses on the Euro-American type traveler who's not adverse to roughing it a bit (though it could be used by any nationality).
Just wondering if the Japanese had any sort of equivalent "world traveler people" who visited and profiled places (e.g. like how-not-to-get-lost-in-Texas or National-Parks-adventures, Denmark-in-Spring, etc) where the hosts themselves were popular and part of the adventure.

Ian in Globe Trekker (also known as Lonely Planet) ... for example. I don't care where he goes - he's just wacky to watch while being informative.
Old 2008-01-18, 01:04   Link #504
darksider

@Vexx

Have you tried watching "世界ウルルン滞在記 (sekai ururun taizai-ki)"?
I don't know about Globe Trekker or any programs in your country, and it's not really a "travel show" for tourists or anything, but it features cultural differences (and similarities sometimes) and it's popular.

And, about the "world traveler people" like you say....
Well, I don't know any.
darksider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-25, 10:07   Link #505
Terrestrial Dream
勇者

Is the name Tama have anything to do with being gay in Japan? Because I just realized that two character Tama (the tiger from Hayate) and Tamama (Kerro Gunso) are both gay. So I was wondering if it has any meaning? Or is it just coincidence.
Old 2008-01-25, 18:14   Link #506
Tri-ring

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terrestrial Dream View Post
Is the name Tama have anything to do with being gay in Japan? Because I just realized that two character Tama (the tiger from Hayate) and Tamama (Kerro Gunso) are both gay. So I was wondering if it has any meaning? Or is it just coincidence.
Tama is/was a common name for cats.
Doesn't really have anything to do with gay, the meaning would probably be a ball (玉) but can't really be sure since it is usually in Hiragana (たま).
Tri-ring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-25, 19:02   Link #507
tripperazn
Toyosaki Aki
*Scanlator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terrestrial Dream View Post
Just FYI, Tama the Tiger isn't gay, he's clearly bi since he goes after Nishizawa and Hermione Ayasaki.

BTW, is Razor Ramon Hard Gay actually acting "gay" in the stereotypical Japanese fashion? I mean is there something in his act that would suggest him being gay besides dressing the part?

Last edited by tripperazn; 2008-01-25 at 19:15.
tripperazn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-25, 23:08   Link #508
Terrestrial Dream
勇者

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tri-ring View Post
Tama is/was a common name for cats.
Doesn't really have anything to do with gay, the meaning would probably be a ball (玉) but can't really be sure since it is usually in Hiragana (たま).
Alright thanks for the info, then I suppose it's just a coincidence.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tripperazn View Post
Just FYI, Tama the Tiger isn't gay, he's clearly bi since he goes after Nishizawa and Hermione Ayasaki.
My bad , I forgot about those moments.
Old 2008-01-30, 20:20   Link #509
raikage
日本語を食べません!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tripperazn View Post

BTW, is Razor Ramon Hard Gay actually acting "gay" in the stereotypical Japanese fashion? I mean is there something in his act that would suggest him being gay besides dressing the part?
HG is... uh, overly-exuberant. Nothing I would necessarily attribute to being gay, but rather a straight guy acting as flaming as possible.

Or at least I could tell by watching his act.
raikage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-15, 20:13   Link #510
Zu Ra
✖ ǝʇ ɯıqnɾl ☆

Clock Hands Overlapping : Good Omen ?

I was watching this Live Action and there was this scene where ... where hands of clock overlapped and it was considered a good omen . What significance or symbolism it has in Japanese Culture

Quote:
Originally Posted by ragnarokr View Post
But, What does mean "The hands of the clock will overlap", does it have a special meaning in Japan, like a positive meaning or something like that? It seems so.
Old 2008-02-15, 20:43   Link #511
Tri-ring

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geta Boshi View Post
I was watching this Live Action and there was this scene where ... where hands of clock overlapped and it was considered a good omen . What significance or symbolism it has in Japanese Culture
That is a first that I have heard of.
It may have something to do with the numeros like 8.8 or 7.7 and not necessarily the hands of the clock itself.
Tri-ring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-21, 11:37   Link #512
Mueti
あ!

Send a message via ICQ to Mueti
I realise that this probably isn't the best forum for a request like this. But I didn't get any satisfying suggestions elsewhere, so I might as well give it a shot.
I'm looking for buddhist literature (zen, to be more specific) - preferably in Japanese. I could just randomly order something but with the amount of unpolished nonsense being published nowadays, I'd rather be on the safer side and trust some recommendations from people more well-read than I am. (*Ahem*, Vexx you got something, maybe? Since you mentioned that you practice Buddhism plus a bit of shinto. )
Old 2008-02-21, 12:17   Link #513
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

errrrrrrr, I don't have any recommendations of works written in Japanese. Sorry.

The Alan Watts writings and videos on Zen Buddhism is usually a first stop.
Other than that, I'd say hit buddhanet.net and dharmaweb.org and start blundering.

Robert Ornstein is another source (see this section of Big Sur audio tapes
http://www.bigsurtapes.com/merchant.mv740.htm).

I'll also recommend just about anything from the Dalai Llama -- yeah, he's Tibetan Buddhist but he also communicates the most straight forward practical applications of Buddhist principles in daily life. I think he's more accessible because he's got a better command of English than many Japanese writers on the subject.

The temple I tend to hang out with is actually Jodo Shinshu based (they've got a fun community and tend to be instigators of the local cultural and observance festivals like Obon). There's also a Nichiren temple in town but I've not spent much time there (location is inconvenient).

There's not really a well organized Zen temple in my area.. but then Zen adherents don't tend to be well-organized anyway (herding cats)

I'll update this post with some books tonight that I've found helpful at least.
Old 2008-02-22, 08:11   Link #514
Mueti
あ!

Thank you very much! I'll start looking through those right away.
Old 2008-02-23, 17:22   Link #515
LiberLibri
(`◉◞౪◟◉´)

Send a message via AIM to LiberLibri
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mueti View Post
I realise that this probably isn't the best forum for a request like this. But I didn't get any satisfying suggestions elsewhere, so I might as well give it a shot.
I'm looking for buddhist literature (zen, to be more specific) - preferably in Japanese. I could just randomly order something but with the amount of unpolished nonsense being published nowadays, I'd rather be on the safer side and trust some recommendations from people more well-read than I am. (*Ahem*, Vexx you got something, maybe? Since you mentioned that you practice Buddhism plus a bit of shinto. )
正法眼蔵 (shoubougenzou, by Dogen 1200-1253) is the most fundamental text of Zen Buddhism in Japan. The original text is in Middle Japanese, but there are great number of commentaries and translations into modern Japanese. If you have access to a public library, you could get a copy of 水野弥穂子 Yaoko MIZUNO's complete work.

However, learning Zen without any basic knowledge on general Buddhism is like studying, say, Prebysterian before Testaments. Possibly Wikipedia will help you.
LiberLibri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-23, 18:07   Link #516
Mueti
あ!

Thanks!
And it's not like I don't know anything about Buddhism; I'll see soon enough whether my knowledge suffices or not. Unfortunately there doesn't seem to be a copy available at the local library, I'll have to look for one elsewhere...
Old 2008-02-23, 22:23   Link #517
technomo12
Wise Otaku Seeker

UM question

I heard there is a hotel that has a room accomodation the size of 2 coffins um imean

the room is like the size of wel 2 or 3 coffins??

um can anyone tell me what kind of hotel is that????
technomo12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-23, 23:14   Link #518
aohige
( ಠ_ಠ)

Quote:
Originally Posted by technomo12 View Post
UM question

I heard there is a hotel that has a room accomodation the size of 2 coffins um imean

the room is like the size of wel 2 or 3 coffins??

um can anyone tell me what kind of hotel is that????
Wikipedia is your friend!
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Capsule_hotel
Old 2008-02-23, 23:27   Link #519
technomo12
Wise Otaku Seeker

TNX and wow it is really small
technomo12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-24, 01:00   Link #520
jariten

Send a message via AIM to jariten
I've stayed in capsule hotels a couple times when I missed the last train back to Yokosuka and asked the cabbie to take me to the cheapest hotel. They're surprisingly comfortable....but they have unique smell that's sort of like vomit and bleach mixed. It's really bad in the morning with a hangover X.x
jariten is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
culture, discussion, japan, japanese culture